Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2020

Post by old salt »

Thank You Ryan Wellner for all you've done for Navy Lacrosse.

Didn't see this one coming. Thought he'd stay at Navy until he got a HC shot. This is still a step up the D I coaching ladder. He was reportedly welcome to stay at Navy. Coach Amplo now gets an asst he worked with before, who's had success coaching FO's & his Team D scheme.

Looks like a win - win. Glad this didn't happen before Induction Day.
Fair Winds & Following Seas, Coach Wellner.
Welcome Aboard, Coach Orsen.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:23 pm Thank You Ryan Wellner for all you've done for Navy Lacrosse.

Didn't see this one coming. Thought he'd stay at Navy until he got a HC shot. This is still a step up the D I coaching ladder. He was reportedly welcome to stay at Navy. Coach Amplo now gets an asst he worked with before, who's had success coaching FO's & his Team D scheme.

Looks like a win - win. Glad this didn't happen before Induction Day.
Fair Winds & Following Seas, Coach Wellner.
Welcome Aboard, Coach Orsen.
+1. Coach Wellner will do very well at ND and pick-up where Coach Byrne left off. The Irish are fortunate to have him.

So what's going on at NAPS?...the NAPS MLax website https://www.usna.edu/NAPS/Athletics/lac ... hedule.php hasn't been updated for 2019 results since March 27, 2019 and notes a 2019 season schedule of 13 games, with 2W's; 2L's; 4 Cancelled and 5 with only the game time noted from 3/30 to 4/20.
:shock:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Well said OS. Gonna miss you Coach.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Tecumseh wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:36 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:44 am Il twitter
Some coaching movement, via multiple sources: Ryan Wellner will go to @NDlacrosse; John Orsen will rejoin Joe Amplo on @navymlax staff. Orsen used to work with Amplo at Marquette

I personally think that the Navy MLAX Community needs to thank Coach Wellner for his time on the Yard. He is a class act who was put into an awkward Situation by events surrounding him coming from multiple directions . I suspect in the long run this change will serve him well . He was loyal to RS and that may have ultimately hurt him professionally in his quest for a HC job. He will do an outstanding job for the Irish walking in behind Coach Byrne . I wish he and his family the very best personally and professionally.

FORE

“T”
Too funny: "...was loyal to RS and that may have ultimately hurt him professionally....' Yeah, Tiffany & Chemotti were hurt by RS too, right? RW to ND is huge step up in the lax world(maybe not in the pay dept)! RS is very respected in the coaching world and Corrigan relied on RS's input when hiring RW. Starting to think these constant attacks on RS may involve more than RM worship...hmmm.. Haven't seen any swipes at Meade's W/L record at Furman?? Maybe he would do better at Dartmouth, SBU or St John's? BTW, what is Amplo's career coaching record? Any NCAA wins? EXACTLY
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

oldjayfan wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 pm
Some coaching movement, via multiple sources: Ryan Wellner will go to @NDlacrosse; John Orsen will rejoin Joe Amplo on @navymlax staff. Orsen used to work with Amplo at Marquette

I personally think that the Navy MLAX Community needs to thank Coach Wellner for his time on the Yard. He is a class act who was put into an awkward Situation by events surrounding him coming from multiple directions . I suspect in the long run this change will serve him well . He was loyal to RS and that may have ultimately hurt him professionally in his quest for a HC job. He will do an outstanding job for the Irish walking in behind Coach Byrne . I wish he and his family the very best personally and professionally.

FORE

“T”
Too funny: "...was loyal to RS and that may have ultimately hurt him professionally....' Yeah, Tiffany & Chemotti were hurt by RS too, right? RW to ND is huge step up in the lax world(maybe not in the pay dept)! RS is very respected in the coaching world and Corrigan relied on RS's input when hiring RW. Starting to think these constant attacks on RS may involve more than RM worship...hmmm.. Haven't seen any swipes at Meade's W/L record at Furman?? Maybe he would do better at Dartmouth, SBU or St John's? BTW, what is Amplo's career coaching record? Any NCAA wins? EXACTLY
OJF or Rick Sowell- move on. We are all ready to turn the page. Congrats to Coach Wellner. This has nothing to do with Coach Sowell. Wellner earned it, he will succeed and ND will be better for it. We will miss him here at Navy and that maybe harder felt than anyone knows, time will only tell.
Unless OJF is an NAAA employee none of us know what was happening no matter what we might think or believe. Only one man knows and he made the decision.
Best of luck Coach W, I/we look forward to watching you succeed at ND and wherever your career takes you.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

HealthyDebate wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:13 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 pm

FORE

“T”
OJF or Rick Sowell- move on. We are all ready to turn the page. Congrats to Coach Wellner. This has nothing to do with Coach Sowell. Wellner earned it, he will succeed and ND will be better for it. We will miss him here at Navy and that maybe harder felt than anyone knows, time will only tell.
Unless OJF is an NAAA employee none of us know what was happening no matter what we might think or believe. Only one man knows and he made the decision.
Best of luck Coach W, I/we look forward to watching you succeed at ND and wherever your career takes you.
This is a huge opportunity for Coach Wellner and the Irish. He is one of the best team D coaches in the NCAA and a consummate professional -- it won't surprise me at all if seizing this opportunity now results in an ND HC opportunity for Coach Wellner down the road. Blue & Gold is a great color combo for him!
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

So what's going on at NAPS?...the NAPS MLax website https://www.usna.edu/NAPS/Athletics/lac ... hedule.php hasn't been updated for 2019 results since March 27, 2019 and notes a 2019 season schedule of 13 games, with 2W's; 2L's; 4 Cancelled and 5 with only the game time noted from 3/30 to 4/20. :shock:
They have a good coach, just not sure about his future with leadership changes in Annapolis. Not sure updating the web site is really a priority at NAPS. Cancelled games happens pretty regularly given the low roster numbers each year.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Not a Navy guy but my father was and several cousins currently are about 10-12 years in. Just wanted to toss the ball over on a ridiculous argument going on on the Pre-2020 transfer thread with some guy claiming that the Maryland team does SEAL training including drowning themselves and full on BUDS action which no other teams do. In my outsider yet knowing 2 SEALs opinion this is obviously ludicrous and almost offensive to those who know what that really entails but thought maybe someone over here who knows what from what might want to weigh in.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is what many schools and corporate entities have done for team buildings. It's built on the structure of Special Forces "type" training. See here. Many of the instructors are ex-military.

As I noted on another thread, our local HS did this back in the early teens of 2000. They did a great job building teamwork, with a full report on many of the players strengths and weaknesses as it pertained to leadership, followers, slackers, plodders, trotters, mavericks, etc.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Did your high schoolers sleep for two weeks? How many had to go to the hospital? Team building? Trust falls? Again, I'll leave it to others here but good god man, to compare corporate team building retreats to SEAL training because they have "ex-military" instructors? Leave it at that they had an intensive team building program and leave anything remotely having to do with SEAL training out of it. Your local HS kids would have mostly literally died if they were doing real BUDS.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

My reply to your original post was presented with facts, included the companies website for your viewing and reading pleasure, and I intentionally put quotes around the word "type" so not to confuse or compare it to "actual" BUD/S training.

The players were just fine and benefited from the exercise....and not my take, feedback from players and parents.
~Livy

laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:31 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 am
laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:12 am
HealthyDebate wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:15 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:02 pm Exactly blackdog...a few delusional posters thought Wellner would get the Navy job :roll: Yeah, they're gonna hire the long time assistant of the guy they just fired; still "in the know" people were actually believing this due to the fact that Wellner was still recruiting!! How about he was still under contract and it was his job??!!! OR, that he may have been able to stay on staff with the new HC(which apparently he could have, per Amplo). Yet many people actually thought he had a chance as head coach...man, these threads are entertaining...about as impartial as Fox News!
This is a huge opportunity for Coach Wellner and the Irish. He is one of the best team D coaches in the NCAA and a consummate professional -- it won't surprise me at all if seizing this opportunity now results in an ND HC opportunity for Coach Wellner down the road. Blue & Gold is a great color combo for him!
Duh, laxxy, that's exactly why he left Navy--ND is a much more high profile and esteemed position...nonetheless, thank you for restating what blackdog posted!
Exact quote below FYI & re-read / re-processing -- you can do better...
Re: Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season Report
by Blackdoglax » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:49 pm
That’s a great spot for Wellner. Byrne left a full cabinet of talent. He can crush it then get a HC somewhere.
...so, right back at "yuh" on the "duh". ;)
Re: Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

Unread post
by oldjayfan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:35 pm
Again, thanks for the restatement...

Still waiting for you to post the Coach Amplo career coaching stats on the Navy thread...what? That doesn't fit the narrative? EXACTLY!

FORE!
Below FYI "ojf", per your request above (and for Navy 2020 site too as you requested) – games W-L comps over 7 seasons as HC for Coach Amplo w/ 1 team (Marquette U.) & 20 seasons as HC for Coach Sowell w/ 4 teams (Dartmouth; SJU; SBU; USNA)…

CATEGORY*****************COACH AMPLO****COACH SOWELL**********************

First 7 Seasons W-L as HC*******52-53/.495********39-55/.414
@…………………………………………...…..MU…………..…...DC & SJU
w/………………………….……...2 BETC / 2 NCAAT..…1 IVY / 1 NCAAT

Last 7 Seasons W-L as HC********52-53/.495*******48-50/.489
@……………………………………...………..MU…………….....USNA
w/……………………..………..….2 BETC / 2 NCAAT...0 PLTC / 1 NCAAT

Last Team Seasons W-L as HC***52-53/.495*******54-56/.490
@…………………………………….…..………..MU……….………USNA
over...………………………………………..7 Seasons...…..8 Seasons
w/…………………………..………2 BETC / 2 NCAAT…..0 PLTC / 1 NCAAT

Next Team Seasons W-L as HC*******tbd***************tbd
@..............................…........USNA………………..tbd

Career Seasons W-L as HC*******52-53/.495********140-137/.505
@.........................................MU……...….DC-SJU-SBU-USNA
over...………………………………………...7 Seasons...…….20 Seasons
w/……………………………...…2 BETC / 2 NCAAT...…0 PLTC + 1 AETC + 1 IVY / 3 NCAAT

...just record books reality -- no narrative required.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

FORE !
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Pretty obvious who the biggest anti-Navy person is.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Keep Trollin'
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:02 pm Exactly blackdog...a few delusional posters thought Wellner would get the Navy job :roll: Yeah, they're gonna hire the long time assistant of the guy they just fired; still "in the know" people were actually believing this due to the fact that Wellner was still recruiting!! How about he was still under contract and it was his job??!!! OR, that he may have been able to stay on staff with the new HC(which apparently he could have, per Amplo). Yet many people actually thought he had a chance as head coach...man, these threads are entertaining...about as impartial as Fox News!
Duh, laxxy, that's exactly why he left Navy--ND is a much more high profile and esteemed position...nonetheless, thank you for restating what blackdog posted!
That’s a great spot for Wellner. Byrne left a full cabinet of talent. He can crush it then get a HC somewhere.

Unread post

Still waiting for you to post the Coach Amplo career coaching stats on the Navy thread...what? That doesn't fit the narrative? EXACTLY!

FORE!
Below FYI "ojf", per your request above (and for Navy 2020 site too as you requested) – games W-L comps over 7 seasons as HC for Coach Amplo w/ 1 team (Marquette U.) & 20 seasons as HC for Coach Sowell w/ 4 teams (Dartmouth; SJU; SBU; USNA)…

+1 GILMORE

Now this is just in:

https://navysports.com/news/2019/7/9/jo ... 2f746a88c5

Fore :mrgreen:

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Tecumseh wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Unread post

FORE!

+1 GILMORE

Now this is just in:

https://navysports.com/news/2019/7/9/jo ... 2f746a88c5

Fore :mrgreen:

“T”
+1. Coach Amplo's message below is especially encouraging for the MLax Mids and their families...
https://navysports.com/news/2019/7/9/jo ... ?path=mlax

"Our program's success will always be defined by the people we surround the midshipmen with and it is with great pride that I announce Brad Ross and John Orsen as the newest members to the Navy lacrosse staff," said Amplo, who was introduced on June 5 as the program's ninth head coach. "They, in addition to Mark Goers, will form a strong unit who care about helping the midshipmen in our program develop into great leaders and successful players.

"Brad and John have both proven through the course of their careers that they possess the skills to win at the highest level of our sport. Their pedigree as players, sustained success as coaches and, most importantly, their commitment to the mission of the Naval Academy will allow us to provide an environment for growth and success for the midshipmen in our program.
Special kudos to the Navy Sports Information Office for their consummate professionalism handling all the media messaging so impressively. Well done indeed.

GO MIDS! -- GO NSIO!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Curious, was Wellner let go or on his own accord?
~Livy

FactChecker

Post by FactChecker »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 pm Curious, was Wellner let go or on his own accord?
His choice. Was probably the only assistant job he would have left for on his own.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

FactChecker wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:25 pm Curious, was Wellner let go or on his own accord?
His choice. Was probably the only assistant job he would have left for on his own.
Thx.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”