Syracuse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
born2lax

Re: Syracuse 2020

Post by born2lax »

With the 3rd attack spot up for debate assuming Rehfuss and Scanlan slotted. What about Buttermore? “Similar”skill set of a Ryan Brown who can let it go with either hand from inside 15, plethora of midfielders/attack men who can draw a slide. 20g on 50 shots taken, with “limited” minutes on the 2nd midfield line.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Make that 4 cents, wholeheartedly agree.
Quick wrists and nice shots in tight quarters too, he doesn't need much room to shoot.
6' 200 lbs, can take some banging around.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

born2lax wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 pm With the 3rd attack spot up for debate assuming Rehfuss and Scanlan slotted. What about Buttermore? “Similar”skill set of a Ryan Brown who can let it go with either hand from inside 15, plethora of midfielders/attack men who can draw a slide. 20g on 50 shots taken, with “limited” minutes on the 2nd midfield line.
Anything is possible of course, but I'm never comfortable seeing a pure midfielder moved from their natural spot. Buttermore just seems middie through and through. Who knows though, Duke did it successfully with Brad Smith. He's a special athlete no doubt, but I'm sure there are others, this being the best example I could think of.

Assuming Scanlan does play attack, it just seems chancy to, not only convert one natural middie to attack, but two? Would it make more sense filling the third spot with a natural attackman like, Cook, Seabold, or Nelson? (not sure who else Desko has waiting in wings) That third spot just needs to be a solid role player, ideally one that's athletic enough to ride like hell.

Also, I hope the mid line of Kim, Kim, and Fiiorini comes to life in 2020. A lot of potential there...
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

No reason for Syracuse to have a third attackman on the field who is just a solid role player with the surplus of talent they have especially at middle.

Scanlan skills will easily convert to attack, he already excels from same spots he would operate from. He'll mostly replace Voigt 35 goals if not more, Refhuss returns as #2-3 but then Syracuse needs someone to replace Solomons 26 goals otherwise the attack unit as a whole may not match the production of last year despite the addition of Scanlan and that should be completely unacceptable .

3rd attackman should not only flourish playing off Scanlan and Refhuss but also bring out their best by creating for both . No preference if that player is found from the stock of attackman or middies .Use many in preseason and choose the one who makes that unit most potent.

Dordevic and Curry are both fast athletes who have played attack in high school and they could adapt They would be real threats at attack . The bonus of using either one is they would open playing time for the young talents at mid
DMac

Post by DMac »

What psition did Buttermore play in HS? I would have guessed attack, but I don't know.
An article from last year:
Buttermore’s lacrosse education was crafted by hall of famer Frank Urso, his coach at Garnet Valley High School near Philadelphia. Buttermore was a two-time All-American in high school, posting 134 goals and 61 assists in his career there.

"My lacrosse IQ is definitely the thing that he helped me with the most, especially coming into here,'' Buttermore said of playing for Urso. "Definitely offensive-wise, knowing where to be at the right times and stuff like that.''
https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2019/02 ... -role.html
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 pm What psition did Buttermore play in HS? I would have guessed attack, but I don't know.
Buttermore’s lacrosse education was crafted by hall of famer Frank Urso, his coach at Garnet Valley High School near Philadelphia. Buttermore was a two-time All-American in high school, posting 134 goals and 61 assists in his career there.

"My lacrosse IQ is definitely the thing that he helped me with the most, especially coming into here,'' Buttermore said of playing for Urso. "Definitely offensive-wise, knowing where to be at the right times and stuff like that.''
Its great to see the impact Frank Urso has had, and is having on the lacrosse field beyond his playing days.
Matt Moore of course, winning the title this year would be exhibit A.
But there are a lot of other Garnet Valley players who I’ve tracked since Urso has been there, who have been real solid DI contributors.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

stupefied wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:06 am No reason for Syracuse to have a third attackman on the field who is just a solid role player with the surplus of talent they have especially at middle.
Respectfully disagree. SU has not always had three great attackmen playing together at same time. More times than not, they have won NCs with at least one role type player on attack. It's about chemistry/fit, not about putting the top three alpha players all on attack together because you can. Nothing wrong with the strength of the team being midfield rather than attack...SU has a pretty good track record of just that. Realistically I don't see Scanlan moving to attack and immediately becoming Mike Leveille. Not saying it can't happen, but that will take time.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Not about being great but simply good at every attack position, no reason to have a role player who wont match Solomon's 41 points . Strength of Syracuse has been each and every offensive player presented a threat and it was difficult to concentrate on shutting down any one player. That is chemistry .Scanlan and Refhuss be at their best having a good to very good attackman ala Solomon playing next to them.

IIf an existing attackman can bring what he did then fine but if not then draw a Dordevic or Curry from the middy pool that has surplus of talent.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

stupefied wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:29 pm Not about being great but simply good at every attack position, no reason to have a role player who wont match Solomon's 41 points . Strength of Syracuse has been each and every offensive player presented a threat and it was difficult to concentrate on shutting down any one player. That is chemistry .Scanlan and Refhuss be at their best having a good to very good attackman ala Solomon playing next to them.

IIf an existing attackman can bring what he did then fine but if not then draw a Dordevic or Curry from the middy pool that has surplus of talent.
You're hung up on "role" player. Any role player on any SU team is a very fine lacrosse player. I assumed that would be understood when I wrote it.

No one has any idea how Scanlan and Rehfuss might play together on attack. This is all fun to discuss but pure speculation of course.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

born2lax wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:34 pm With the 3rd attack spot up for debate assuming Rehfuss and Scanlan slotted. What about Buttermore? “Similar”skill set of a Ryan Brown who can let it go with either hand from inside 15, plethora of midfielders/attack men who can draw a slide. 20g on 50 shots taken, with “limited” minutes on the 2nd midfield line.
Buttermore is pretty much a pure middie who SU was giving time on the 1st line by the end of the season, SU would move Dordevic or Curry before him. At this point the third spot will likely be Cook, or he will at least be given first crack. I wouldn't be surprised if Dordevic did some cross training at attack as well so that SU can dabble with some experimental lineups and get Buttermore on the 1st line with Dordevic and Trimbo.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

DMac wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:12 pm What psition did Buttermore play in HS? I would have guessed attack, but I don't know.

Pretty sure he was strictly a midfielder. Curry and Dordevic both played attack in high school as well as midfield.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

No chance on the starting attack line for Owen Seebold?
Last edited by oldbartman on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:43 pm No chance on th starting attack line for Owen Seebold?
[/quo

Possible. He was the second sub at attack last year so he should be in mix for third spot.
DMac

Post by DMac »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Syracuse 2020 with LaxFactor’s Ted Hust

LaxFactor’s Ted Hust breaks down the outlook for Syracuse in 2020 with the corresponding discussion going on here within the Syracuse 2020 Forum.

DMac

Post by DMac »

What is that, a replay post?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yup.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

admin wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 pm Syracuse 2020 with LaxFactor’s Ted Hust

LaxFactor’s Ted Hust breaks down the outlook for Syracuse in 2020 with the corresponding discussion going on here within the Syracuse 2020 Forum.

Usually enjoy Hust highlight vids and unusual delivery but this vid not very informative as it skims at top and some comments are bit faulty. Long but no great reveal, print would be useful here for deeper discussion because print doesn't have time constraints. Initial thoughts on 3rd attack spot but projecting just fifteen points from likely holder of third spot boggles. Rehas first line of mids but no mention of several talented sophs ready to contribute especially if Dordevic were to drop to attack.. SSDM was a team strength and all return but no mention of any besides Dearth nor Oladuyne returning. Mellen and Kennedy were linchpins of D last year, both are top flight defenders at position just wish there was discussion of contenders for two holes needed to be fill at c/d spots and even man down . Fogos critical component but not covered .

-------------Anyway ,Cuse has large, deep talented roster. Starting lineup is guessed at and others likely in consideration for spots and roles this year are listed All units appear to be above average now with the addition and assumption of Scanlan playing attack, a few players offer flexibilty and could be moved .Cuse should be very competitive in an ACC that should be stronger than last.

Here is expanded take at 2020 Cuse that will surely have some revisions

Attack: Scanlan, Refhus, Cook* - (options Dordevic ,Curry )
others considered Seebold, Aburn, Berkman, Hill, Donnelly-fr

Mid: Curry, Dordevic, Trimboli
Lipka, Buttermore, Quinn*
others Magnan, Fiorini, Kim, Kim, Lauder, Lewandowski fr

SSDM: Dearth, Helmer, Oladuyne, Barlow
(option Murphy) others Smart, Dieball, Garlow

LSM Kennedy , Fernandez
(option Helmer) others Clary fr, Page fr

CD Mellen, Di Pietro*, Murphy*- (options Kennedy, Helmer) others Staats, Jkennedy, Hull, Lee fr

G : Porter, Strang, Katchurian

FO: Phaup, Varello others Aviles fr, Talgo fr
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. LaxFactor's strength is not their thoroughness and deep insights. But the videos are pretty good and serve as a good starting point for discussion. With this said...

I'm very curious where Helmer ends up. Talented kid who seems to do so much yet, as he's spread so thin, he doesn't seem to standout in any one spot. Curious about him 2020.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Expect Helmer to audition at close in fall but not sure where he settles. Certainly provides team with flexibility and level of comfort knowing he could step in to various functions if ever needed. Three defenders who played on man down graduated so likely his experience needed on that unit as well

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”