D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by Bart »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:52 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:54 am
wlaxnut wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:13 am
Bart wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 am
Antagonistic/confrontational comes from all sides...just a matter of perspective. Antagonistic to a group of fans/parents/team members to read their team was a bunch of underachievers. Confrontational/antagonistic to players/fans of a kid said to be a thug. Confrontational to a team/fans for being labeled pretenders. People can post what ever they want and stir the pot and be as provocative as they want but do not expect those who see the OP as antagonistic not to take the OP to task. The discussion one person finds "fun" may not be for others and elicit antagonistic responses in return.

NO dog directly in this kennel. It just seems to me this is akin to the kid on the playground who pokes the other kids and then runs to mom saying they are being mean to me.
I am new to the sport of women’s lacrosse. I discovered this fascinating sport six years ago when I was surfing the ESPN3 website for something to watch. I came across Kayla Treanor and the exciting Syracuse Orange and was immediately hooked. I am also new to these forums. I discovered LaxPower in 2018, and the superior Back-Up Stick in ’19. My daughter doesn’t play lacrosse, nor do any of my sons. After reading and considering your comments, I can understand where you’re coming from--and I can understand why some members take exception to some of my critical opinions. I’ll try to explain my philosophy, for what it’s worth.

I see my comments directed toward impersonal sports teams and players—and not personal attacks or judgments of a person. That may be a skewed philosophy, but that is honestly how I feel. I would probably feel differently if my daughter played lacrosse on a team mentioned on these boards, but since she doesn’t I can only see things from a fans perspective. For instance—to say that the current bullpen of the Boston Red Sox isn't performing well isn't a personal criticism of each person who makes up said bullpen to me. I have come to regard such comments/criticisms as part of the fan experience. If we pay to watch/attend the games—why don't we get to make comments on the product? For example, if I am a season ticket holder for a given team, why would it be hypocritical of me to question a players heart on that team, yet to call the ushers to break up a fight in the stands? Or to criticize a player from an opposing team as being a cheap shot artist when they are clearly trying to injure a player on the team I support/pay to see/am partly responsible for paying the salaries of--yet to want nothing to do with a fan of that opposing team who takes exception to my criticism and wants to pick a fight?

Picking fights in the stands, (or more directly, making personal attacks on these forums,) is another matter entirely, one which I think is distinct and separate from comments directed at players on the field. If I yell from the stands to exhort a player to stop loafing and get the lead out, or a similar type comment, and another fan nearby who happens to be related to that player takes exception and gets aggressive with me, I think that is inappropriate. If we’re all entitled to our opinion, then ideally we shouldn’t be personally criticized for them. Disagreeing with an opinion is one thing. To personally attack the person who states a controversial opinion is another. But we live in an imperfect world, so I understand why other members get personal. I try not to let it bother me and to take it in stride as being part of this forum fan experience.

In any event—that's just how I see it.
That works for you because you see it as faceless teams/players/coaches. There is a lot in here that I was going to comment on but deleted a much longer post. Feel free to comment as you will but also be aware that there are probably many on this forum who have deep personal relationships with people,coaches, players or alum of those teams that you see as faceless. What you see as a faceless entity someone else will see it as an aggressive unpleasant attack on someone or something they hold dear and will answer accordingly.

Again, no dog in this kennel, my kids play in a different divisions. Keep posting it makes the forum more interesting but realize the size of the lacrosse community makes it such that these things you see as faceless are not.
I have always understood that talking about sports teams and their coaches and players and how they perform on the field was very natural. I try to keep in perspective that I am talking about games; organized athletics. They are, all of them, pastimes. Not devotion to God, or country or family. Sports.

Sports is huge in this country. It only follows that the players and coaches of sports teams get talked about and written about 24/7 in this digital age. A good portion of the commentary is negative.

If I’m understanding what you’re saying, I’m being advised to watch what I write because someone might read it who has “deep personal relationships with people, coaches, players or alum.” and “see it as an aggressive unpleasant attack.” Perhaps have their feelings hurt. If I was to apply this rationale to any serious sports commentary in this country, people would say I was being non-sensical and ridiculous.

What is the distinction between Sports Talk Nation USA and women’s lacrosse on the Lax Power Back-Up Stick forum? Why is it okay to talk about male players and coaches freely, including the men’s lacrosse boards on this same Back-Up Stick, but a restrictive standard exists for what we can write about the performances of the female players and coaches of women’s lacrosse? All male athletes and coaches have family and friends with “deep personal relationships with people, coaches, players or alum.” I can’t imagine anyone saying we should stop saying critical things about male players and coaches for their performances on the field for the same reason. The notion is absurd.

I would strongly encourage you, and anyone else reading this, to search the word “paternalistic” on these boards and read what Badlands has eloquently opined on the subject. I can’t say it better than him.

https://youtu.be/pxeR7BPwVD8
The purpose was not to have you stop posting critical things about anyone. I was not advising you what you could post or for you to watch what you post, you can post freely what you want, I was just giving you a reason some may take certain posts critical. Be as critical of the women as you want there was no paternalistic notion on my part what so ever. You found the lacrosse world recently, great and welcome but realize what a small world it is.

as for "serious sports commentary..." That in itself is non-sensical. Sport commentary is just a distraction to take up time,there is nothing serious about it. Much like this board, it is nothing more than entertainment. There is nothing serious about it.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Moderators:

Can we move this pillow fight over meanie head Larry to another thread?

Would love to get back to coaching moves here.

What openings are still out there?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:14 am Moderators:

Can we move this pillow fight over meanie head Larry to another thread?

Would love to get back to coaching moves here.

What openings are still out there?
Back-Up Stick is a whole new (and much better) lacrosse forum than LaxPower ever was. One of the things that makes it better is there aren't any biased, meddling, busybody moderators to get involved in non-issues like this. Plus--the thought/thread that developed here under this topic happened naturally--it's fine where it is.
O M Buddy

Post by O M Buddy »

I disagree. Your posts have nothing to do with coaching changes at this point. If you want to continue that discussion, please open a new topic on posting etiquette.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I agree, O M Buddy! I was just asking to move that convo to another thread. I wasn't asking to delete it or revise it. The conversation in and of itself was appropriate. I just don't feel like sifting through ten posts about Larry being mean when I am trying to read about coaching openings.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Marquette WLAX expects to hire Northern Michigan University HC Emilia Ward as it’s new DC.
Bart

Post by Bart »

EasyRider wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:43 am Marquette WLAX expects to hire Northern Michigan University HC Emilia Ward as it’s new DC.
That is an interesting hire if true. She did ok up at Norther Michigan. (I would think an extremely hard place to recruit to) I saw they had an opening for Head Coach on the IWLCA and was wondering where she went. Now I know.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

O M Buddy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:49 pm And now for a completely different subject...has anyone heard, or would like to predict about the new assistants for the new head coaches that have been hired during this carousel.
Water cooler talk is that Colgate will not retain their asst coaches from last year (including the interim coach) and new HC Kathy Taylor will bring in a totally new staff.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
O M Buddy

Post by O M Buddy »

I’m interested to see how Taylor does at Colgate. I thought of her for the other openings (Big 10,Pac-12) but I heard that she wanted to stay in Central NY. I think that she is a great hire for Colgate. I wonder how challenging it will be recruiting and competing in D1 with the high Academic standards and no athletic scholarships. It doesn’t seem to be a problem for Princeton but Colgate isn’t Princeton. After winning National Championships at Cortland and LeMoyne, I would imagine that she has the same goal at Colgate. Lofty goal. Time will tell.
Toplax

Post by Toplax »

No Scholarships at Colgate? Are they underfunded?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Colgate is not an Ivy, so they certainly CAN have athletic scholarships. Whether the school and athletic department funds the women's lacrosse program with scholarships is a different question.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

The Patriot League including Colgate were considered "sister Ivy" schools and historically did not offer athletic scholarships. It looks like some Patriot league schools now offer football and basketball scholarships but I could not find info regarding lacrosse scholarships for men or women lacrosse. Interestingly, the rumor is that Kathy Taylor's daughter will take over the reins at Lemoyne women's lacrosse. She is currently a high school girls lacrosse coach and (I think) married to the Lemoyne mens head basketball coach. She would be a good candidate as she learned from Kathy. here is a link to the Patriot league womens teams. http://www.patriotleague.org/standings.aspx?path=wlax
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Interesting, Nomofogo; I had no idea!

I thought for sure Loyola and others were offering athletic scholarships. Good to know.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Kinda old news but Amy Bokker at Ohio State has filled her lacrosse positions: associate head coach: Kristen Carr from Stamford, assistant coach Kara Mupo from Stanford and director of Lacrosse operations Stephani Schimidt from Oterbein Ohio. https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/w-lacros/news/
I am wondering where former assistant Ohio State Molly Hendrick may have landed. She is currently playing for WPLL.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Loyolas recruiting page states that they do offer lacrosse athletic scholarships but not if they offer the full 12.6. " Loyola University Maryland does offer athletic scholarships for Lacrosse. Need-based and academic scholarships are available for student-athletes. Athletic scholarships are available for NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NAIA and NJCAA. On average, 34% of all student-athletes receive athletic scholarships." Of course with all universities/colleges "need based" can be subjective and open to interpretation.
Last edited by nomofogo on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toplax

Post by Toplax »

Daughter recruited at several Patriot league schools and scholarships were offered. Some programs were underfunded though and only had 6-7 scholarships available for the class.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

+1
Bart

Post by Bart »

Nigel wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:06 pm
O M Buddy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:49 pm And now for a completely different subject...has anyone heard, or would like to predict about the new assistants for the new head coaches that have been hired during this carousel.
Water cooler talk is that Colgate will not retain their asst coaches from last year (including the interim coach) and new HC Kathy Taylor will bring in a totally new staff.
Didn't both coaches play for her?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

nomofogo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:02 am Loyolas recruiting page states that they do offer lacrosse athletic scholarships but not if they offer the full 12.6. " Loyola University Maryland does offer athletic scholarships for Lacrosse. Need-based and academic scholarships are available for student-athletes. Athletic scholarships are available for NCAA Division I, NCAA Division II, NAIA and NJCAA. On average, 34% of all student-athletes receive athletic scholarships." Of course with all universities/colleges "need based" can be subjective and open to interpretation.
I believe Loyola is fully funded on both men and womens sides - re: # of schollys
aubartolomei

Post by aubartolomei »

Hannah Murphy returning to UMass as an asst

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”