Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:26 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 am
NovaHound wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 pm This is FUN!!! I do like all of the conjecture, assumptions, foretelling, forecasting, predictive analysis, wishful thinking, hopefulness, etc.... Makes an otherwise boring Summer tolerable, although the Chase Scanlan sweepstakes are certainly entertaining.

I just think you have to pay heed to what Peter brown is saying about the defense and here's why. The SSDMs are a year (and will be) better, more experienced and bigger - Benus, Swindell, Higgins, Rezanka... I probably missed someone else here. I also think Milhouse shifts more to offense but all of his time spent on Defense only increases his upside in the transition game.

As for the Long Poles:
Wyers is a lefty. Hughes, a projected starter until a January knee injury, is a rightie. That's one heck of a double from both sides if you ask me. They are both big and fast. Both are experienced. Railey and Johnson - both starters/experienced. I hear LeBlanc might be a factor in the rotation this year as well. Defense - you have starting experience, size, knowledge, etc... and I expect communication within the group to improve. Very little downside. They will miss the senior leadership provided by Volante and Stover but someone will step up IMO. Last year Stover bailed the defense out with his crazy saves, this defense bails out the goalie by forcing bad shots, creating turnovers, winning the GB game and creating the transition to quickly take advanatge of an unsettled and unprepared defense. It's a hopeful wish.

I forgot to mention McNulty?? 2 more years Baby!!! His confidence and ability is off the charts. And Middleton steps up his defense to go with his offensive mindset. Johnson also took some runs at LSM last year and may do the same this year. And I hear we have another good pole coming in from the Hill Academy...

It's going to be a good defense.

Offense - Lindley and Olmstead. Proven, dependable, willing to step up and lead the team. Both are tough as nails. I remember someone mentioning Ross Pridemore. Have heard nothing but good things about him. Has the size, speed and all around knack for feeding the ball to the open man. He injured his knee prior to arriving on campus and rehabbed it last Fall. He was finally cleared in late Spring and is why he suited up for the Playoffs.

Middies - sure the Scanlan loss hurts. But Hounds have Cox, Devoreaux, Wiggs, Milhouse, and some new faces coming in that are dependable and experienced.

The Freshman class from last year saw playing time and I'm not sure who will emerge and make an impact.

Goalie - Sam Shaffer (sp??) 2 years watching Stover and learning the game. Bigger. Good clearing.

I almost forgot to mention how the game tactics are executed - it begins at X with Bailey Savio. Loyola improved its face off percentage from .478 in 2018 to .522 in 2019. I expect this to improve and this will help wear down the opposing defense. Hounds will have more touches on the ball.

Prognosis - Pretty Good team with potential. Team starts slow (possible losses to UVA and JHU - I hate to say) and then begins to build its chemistry and gets on a roll during Patriot League. Win it. On to Playoffs. That's how I see it. But I also believe in one game at a time... Each game will be a stepping stone. It doesn't matter how you start - it's how you finish :D

Please chime in Peter Brown - what did I miss??

Great summary.

Only thing you overlooked were the incoming freshmen. I think Pacheco is the most underrated player in high school; how we got him I have no idea, other than the bigs keep overlooking non-hotbed areas of high school lacrosse. vandenHeuvel is just like McNulty, and I assume everyone knows how good Ryan is?

Where Voyeur and others can't see the forest (team performance) through the trees (Spencer!!!) is we are likely to be significantly better as a team in 2020 than we wee this year.

1. That starts with Bailey, Cottone, and Pacheco at FOGO. We will see the ball so much more in 2020 than we did in 2019.

2. Then go to our defense. No one here outside if you are a Mercer fan realizes just how good Hughes is. The kid is as good a defender as you will see in D1, as is Wyers. Our defense will be excellent, not simply better than average.

3. No one appreciates Lindley and Olmstead yet, except for Pat Spencer. When you take the reins off those two, as we saw in the BU and Gtown games, you will see two very elite players whose numbers will surprise many here.

Look, I love Pat as much as anyone, and no doubt there will be some adjusting period, but this team will be a very strong D1 squad next year. The upside and downside to having a great player is so many teammates start staring at the one guy to create everything, and then you become less of the sum of your parts. That will not be the case next year. Lindley is an elite player as is Olmstead.

My only worry has nothing to do with losing Spencer, Scanlan, or Duffy, our offense, midfield, LSM's, or defense...we willbe excellent at all three lines. My only worry for the 2020 Hounds is in goal. One of those two guys will need to be very good.
Hopefully Toomey is working on Brandau because that would solve that problem

It would be too much to ask God for at this stage. I prayed for Spencer and Stover and got both. You can only go to the Big Guy every so often if the request is about lacrosse.

Brandau imo highly likely would get the starting role. But I don't want to deny especially Shafer whom I think can be a great D1 goalie (as well as Teitlebaum).

On our defense, just fyi, between Wyers and Railey alone, forget all the others (and we are loaded...Hughes, Johnson, Leblanc, etc...), we would have two defenders above 6'4" with very fast feet. I'm telling you, my crab bet is a sure thing. I'm thinking of adding one more helping.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 pm Hold up, I started this debate. I want in on the free crabs too. PB you down to host back to back weekends?

You're on too. I am up to 2 dozen crabs plus now 6 cold ones.

I will dine with so much satisfaction....
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Must be serving strong drinks down there
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:53 am
BigTom4 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 pm Hold up, I started this debate. I want in on the free crabs too. PB you down to host back to back weekends?

PB, what about this- loser of the bet has to show up to the restaurant wearing the winners lacrosse school? So like if wgsdr loses, he shows up wearing loyola gear. If you lose, you show up in Virginia apparel?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 am

PB, what about this- loser of the bet has to show up to the restaurant wearing the winners lacrosse school? So like if wgsdr loses, he shows up wearing loyola gear. If you lose, you show up in Virginia apparel?

I think that is acceptable, but I think wgdsr is a terps fan, no? That all said, I have a bunch of Hoos' parapahenalia already, so that would not cost me a dime. It would cost me great shame.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Had a few ideas last night regarding Chase and transfers. We will assume Chase Scanlan transfers from Loyola to Syracuse.

If a team loses a high caliber player (in this case, Loyola), a couple evening options (you only get to take one though):

1. with no penalty whatsoever, Loyola staff and coaches are allowed to approach any player on Syracuse for one year and attempt to recruit any player away from that team
2. if these two teams play any of the years while this transfer is an enrolled student, Loyola starts the game against Syracuse with a 2-goal lead.
3. Syracuse must pay the equivalent in dollars that Loyola had to spend on recruiting the kid in the first place, plus his first year's room, board, and tuition: let's call it a minimum of $75,000

:idea:

;)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Some accolades just showed up.

Congrats to incoming freshmen Joey Kamish, Eric Pacheco, Evan James, and Jack Griffin for earnings US Lacrosse All American status today
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:38 am Had a few ideas last night regarding Chase and transfers. We will assume Chase Scanlan transfers from Loyola to Syracuse.

If a team loses a high caliber player (in this case, Loyola), a couple evening options (you only get to take one though):

1. with no penalty whatsoever, Loyola staff and coaches are allowed to approach any player on Syracuse for one year and attempt to recruit any player away from that team
2. if these two teams play any of the years while this transfer is an enrolled student, Loyola starts the game against Syracuse with a 2-goal lead.
3. Syracuse must pay the equivalent in dollars that Loyola had to spend on recruiting the kid in the first place, plus his first year's room, board, and tuition: let's call it a minimum of $75,000
:idea:
;)
why are nc$$ athletes treated with restrictions on where they can play, where they can study, for the only 4 years that they get that opportunity?
does this happen to top band members? stem majors?
i truly don't understand why more elder adults feel that they should be handcuffed, even more than they are. run a good program, where players want to be, and you will have players flock to want to be there. for those that don't fit, que sera.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Not surprising that Chase ended up at Cuse. Probably the least surprising landing spot. He needed to be closer to home and his family, and it was a natural fit.
Good luck to him for the remainder of his career...except when he faces the Hounds!
:)
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Was thinking about it, with all the excitement of these new, young guys coming in, there is some very good talent on the roster waiting for a chance.
Ross Pridemore should be more healed up and ready to go this season from his injury. AND I look forward to seeing Liam Bateman continue to grow.
He was one of the most dynamic and impactful players in the MIAA a year ago. Both really fun to watch. Coach Marc has some intriguing pieces to play with!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

if any of you followed their trip to portugal, when they played an english team, it looked like pridemore started on attack in spencers spot with olmstead and lindley. There's a clip where he throws a nice feed to a cutting olmstead for a quick dunk goal. The kid was a former No. 1 2018 recruit for a reason....
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Go to 2nd that on Bateman. He really lit up the MIAA and was an impressive shooter. i was surprised that he was not on EMO just to give him a taste of PT.

Getitdone
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:23 am

I think that is acceptable, but I think wgdsr is a terps fan, no? That all said, I have a bunch of Hoos' parapahenalia already, so that would not cost me a dime. It would cost me great shame.
Cooter UMD
wgsdr UVA
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Where would it take place if it happened
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:23 am

Cooter UMD
wgsdr UVA

I was really hoping Chase landed at UVA so their ship would be so top-heavy it would capsize with the first wave to hit it. That first wave would have been the Hounds, btw... ;)

Does anyone know what the deal is with Chris Brandau? I'd have to think he gave Loyola a look what with the BL/Spencer connection, need for a starter, near his home, etc... I haven't heard much.

I still think this kid Teitelbaum is the real deal and will be a great D1 goalie, so I am not even sure the Hounds need much there, but no one can deny that Brandau performed well in his limited starts for G-town. He's not getting The Bachelor/Xanders ('here's a rose, you're out' or is that you're in?) social media treatment that Chase got... :lol:

Any info appreciated.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:38 am I was really hoping Chase landed at UVA so their ship would be so top-heavy it would capsize with the first wave to hit it. That first wave would have been the Hounds, btw... ;)
yeah, that would've been terrible for the 'hoos.
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:38 am Does anyone know what the deal is with Chris Brandau? I'd have to think he gave Loyola a look what with the BL/Spencer connection, need for a starter, near his home, etc... I haven't heard much.
it must be hopkins because they don't totally bend the rules to get players admitted, and that takes time.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:20 am Where would it take place if it happened
@ OP. where else?
Hounds01

Post by Hounds01 »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 am Was thinking about it, with all the excitement of these new, young guys coming in, there is some very good talent on the roster waiting for a chance.
Ross Pridemore should be more healed up and ready to go this season from his injury. AND I look forward to seeing Liam Bateman continue to grow.
He was one of the most dynamic and impactful players in the MIAA a year ago. Both really fun to watch. Coach Marc has some intriguing pieces to play with!
I agree Pridmore will be the 3rd attack, coming off of acl surgery, he can do it all dodge,and shoot. With that being said, the middie line will need to create and draw the doubles, wiggs, dev, cox to some extent, millhouse not so much, fast as hell, but no stick or shooting skills from what i have seen. Van will figure it out and have the best players out there
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I see and hear it all the time that Toomey and staff does a great job with Player Development with the guys they get.

What exactly does this term mean??
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

So will Cam Spencer be playing lax for the Hounds too?

Hearing it’s basketball only. For now.

Maybe he takes the opposite path of Pat- plays 4 years of basketball at Loyola and transfers to play lax and get his master’s...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”