Syracuse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ohmilax34

Re: Syracuse 2020

Post by ohmilax34 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 am
OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 am So what is the academic upgrade he wanted to get out of his transfer? This is not a knock on Cuse which is an excellent uni.

In the event he now has a full ride, gets to wear 22, returns to proximity to the Rez. All strong motivations on their own. I was thinking more of the Thompsons when I voted for Albany. At least I had the general geography right.

Great spot for him. I never understood LC. That is not a knack on LC. Also an excellent uni with a top coach but culturally it seemed an odd choice

The reason for his choice of Loyola was, as I understand it, when Chase initially decommitted from 'Cuse, almost no D1 school had a spot/scholly available to Chase at that late stage, except for Loyola, hence he took the Loyola offer. It was never going to be a great cultural fit, as Loyola is not a great cultural fit for many folks...smaller Jesuit school and all that.

There are two issues I am somewhat unsold on which I believe in the fervor of the moment are easy to overlook: 1) it seems somewhat unusual to offer #22 to an incoming transfer sophomore who initially decommitted from your school; shouldn't he 'earn' that jersey first? and 2) I do not think Chase is a natural attackman, nor a natural middie, so the choice to start at attack by Desko may not be the magic pill you good folks are assuming.

Let's deconstruct a bit. I am not a 'Cuse expert, though let's be real: I did call the eventual choice of 'Cuse for Chase early and often so perhaps I am an expert. :lol: Has Cuse ever put the #22 on a sophomore? If so, did that sophomore play for Cuse his freshman year and earn that jersey? Theoretically, I am just not a huge fan of giving great things to people who have not earned them. is there a chance anyone on Cuse might resent this somewhat-unearned designation? Would you?

Two, I am a Loyola fan who saw almost every game last year. I hope the kid does great at Cuse. But, and this is a big but and said respectfully, Chase is not Gary Gait. I do not think you are getting this generational talent that I've been reading about. Chase is a great player, but he is not THE solution for any team. I'm not going to parse every goal he scored last year, but on the squad coming back to the Hounds next year for offense, he would be our #3 choice so far as importance to the team for offense, and #4-5 for the whole team. I'd slow the roll somewhat before we put too much pressure on this kid as the Savior of Syracuse.

That is all. Ratio me.
Peter, I've enjoyed your posts and our interaction on the board, so I want this to be respectful. But, aren't you the guy posting on the Loyola thread that losing Pat Spencer isn't that big of a deal and that Olmstead and Lindley will pick up all the slack? If so, I think you have a problem. Pat Spencer was one of the greatest players in NCAA history and he was THE solution to Loyola, so I don't know if I trust your opinion on which teams need what to be successful.

Regarding #22, it was put on the shelf for a bit and I think however it was going to be handed out to a player would cause a lot of disagreements. If Syracuse had Joey Epstein or Connor Shellenberger coming in out of HS there still would've been people saying that they hadn't proved anything. On one hand, if #22 can be used as a recruiting tool, that's great for Syracuse. On the other hand, it's a lot of pressure and it makes sense to see what a player can do in college before giving it to him. The Scanlan case kinda fulfilled both of these. SU used it to recruit him this time around and he's proven to be a very productive college player. Syracuse gave #22 to Cody jamieson for his senior season in 2010 after a shortened 2009 season. In 2010 Jojo Marasco wore #1 and had a good season until he got injured and switched to #22 in 2011.

On whether he will fit in on the field, he likes to play on the righty wing. Syracuse didn't have anyone with that skill set. Syracuse has been playing with a crease attackman the past few years with Bomberry and Voigt. Scanlan has a more well-rounded skill set than those guys. I think he will fit in on offense.

On whether he will get along with the other players or whether any will resent him, that's hard to say. As a Syracuse fan, I haven't noticed many problems with players getting along. It seems like they enjoy playing with each other. I watch Scanlan's freshman highlights and it seems like his Loyola teammates liked him. I don't think there will be any talk among the team of Scanlan being a savior, just a great piece to a team that is close to taking the next step in the post season.

While #22 has expectations, I think the expectations put on Scanlan by himself, his teammates and coaches will be what matters most as I think it has for all #22's before him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

though i can't believe i'm discussing it, 22 had been handed out as many times to incoming freshmen as guys that had been there. certainly in the "early" years.
lyle thompson had 38 points as a freshman middie. and if you saw him then and at lafayette, he seemed more a middie than attack. then the next 3 years happened. zed williams looked like he might translate similarly, but his ceiling wasn't as high as it turns out. still a very good player at both spots.
scanlan looks like he has a similar game to those 2. his ceiling is high. syracuse has more options than albany did, so it's unlikely the offense runs entirely thru scanlan. my guess is they'll get something in between. which will be very good.
i think syracuse just got a lot better. attack was a major question mark. still unanswered, but they may have the test ahead of time now.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 am So what is the academic upgrade he wanted to get out of his transfer? This is not a knock on Cuse which is an excellent uni.

In the event he now has a full ride, gets to wear 22, returns to proximity to the Rez. All strong motivations on their own. I was thinking more of the Thompsons when I voted for Albany. At least I had the general geography right.

Great spot for him. I never understood LC. That is not a knack on LC. Also an excellent uni with a top coach but culturally it seemed an odd choice

The reason for his choice of Loyola was, as I understand it, when Chase initially decommitted from 'Cuse, almost no D1 school had a spot/scholly available to Chase at that late stage, except for Loyola, hence he took the Loyola offer. It was never going to be a great cultural fit, as Loyola is not a great cultural fit for many folks...smaller Jesuit school and all that.

There are two issues I am somewhat unsold on which I believe in the fervor of the moment are easy to overlook: 1) it seems somewhat unusual to offer #22 to an incoming transfer sophomore who initially decommitted from your school; shouldn't he 'earn' that jersey first? and 2) I do not think Chase is a natural attackman, nor a natural middie, so the choice to start at attack by Desko may not be the magic pill you good folks are assuming.

Let's deconstruct a bit. I am not a 'Cuse expert, though let's be real: I did call the eventual choice of 'Cuse for Chase early and often so perhaps I am an expert. :lol: Has Cuse ever put the #22 on a sophomore? If so, did that sophomore play for Cuse his freshman year and earn that jersey? Theoretically, I am just not a huge fan of giving great things to people who have not earned them. is there a chance anyone on Cuse might resent this somewhat-unearned designation? Would you?

Two, I am a Loyola fan who saw almost every game last year. I hope the kid does great at Cuse. But, and this is a big but and said respectfully, Chase is not Gary Gait. I do not think you are getting this generational talent that I've been reading about. Chase is a great player, but he is not THE solution for any team. I'm not going to parse every goal he scored last year, but on the squad coming back to the Hounds next year for offense, he would be our #3 choice so far as importance to the team for offense, and #4-5 for the whole team. I'd slow the roll somewhat before we put too much pressure on this kid as the Savior of Syracuse.

That is all. Ratio me.
Scanlan is a good fit who will help . Only the clueless Cuse fan is expecting him to be a superstar like Gait, Spencer or even a prototypical attackman like Gray. Dont see Scanlan as an alpha but neither are some other highly productive attackman, seen him enuff to know limitations but he also has underrated dimensions. Suffice to say , he's a talented hybrid and those work well in Cuse offensive system. Team has multiple threats across the board for Scanlan to play off and be plenty of opportunities for him to finish which is where he excels imo. I would consider Gray to be the greater individual talent but Cuse O approach would have been altered since he dominates ball which isn't the case with Scanlan. .Watching Loyola a few times, I was pleasantly struck by how he lets game come to him. My expectation is he'll be productive and valuable here with a transition that will be rather seamless.
43 goals at a lead program does provides rationale for #22 but my preference would have been him coming in as #45 to avoid any possible resentment but at the end of day those players want to win and his talent gives them a better chance.
hens62

Post by hens62 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 am The reason for his choice of Loyola was, as I understand it, when Chase initially decommitted from 'Cuse, almost no D1 school had a spot/scholly available to Chase at that late stage, except for Loyola, hence he took the Loyola offer. It was never going to be a great cultural fit, as Loyola is not a great cultural fit for many folks...smaller Jesuit school and all that.

That is all. Ratio me.
Delusionial... Scanlan would have been best/most important player on Loyola by far and probably best in PL with Gray leaving. Lindley is a very good cutter/finisher (4 assists last year), Scanlan would have been his facilitator. He also had 12 more points than Olmstead last year. Hes not a natural attack OR middie? So what should he play, D? :roll:

The point of 22 is to give it to a kid who has the opportunity to step up and be the next Gait/Powell. Its to empower them to be creative/a leader and play with the flair of those guys.. basically a green light from the coach to go make plays. Is it always going to turn out perfect, no. But he is the PERFECT kid to wear 22, and I wouldnt be surprised if hes the best since Jameison to wear it
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:00 am

That is all. Ratio me.
Peter, I've enjoyed your posts and our interaction on the board, so I want this to be respectful. But, aren't you the guy posting on the Loyola thread that losing Pat Spencer isn't that big of a deal and that Olmstead and Lindley will pick up all the slack? If so, I think you have a problem. Pat Spencer was one of the greatest players in NCAA history and he was THE solution to Loyola, so I don't know if I trust your opinion on which teams need what to be successful.

Regarding #22, it was put on the shelf for a bit and I think however it was going to be handed out to a player would cause a lot of disagreements. If Syracuse had Joey Epstein or Connor Shellenberger coming in out of HS there still would've been people saying that they hadn't proved anything. On one hand, if #22 can be used as a recruiting tool, that's great for Syracuse. On the other hand, it's a lot of pressure and it makes sense to see what a player can do in college before giving it to him. The Scanlan case kinda fulfilled both of these. SU used it to recruit him this time around and he's proven to be a very productive college player. Syracuse gave #22 to Cody jamieson for his senior season in 2010 after a shortened 2009 season. In 2010 Jojo Marasco wore #1 and had a good season until he got injured and switched to #22 in 2011.

On whether he will fit in on the field, he likes to play on the righty wing. Syracuse didn't have anyone with that skill set. Syracuse has been playing with a crease attackman the past few years with Bomberry and Voigt. Scanlan has a more well-rounded skill set than those guys. I think he will fit in on offense.

On whether he will get along with the other players or whether any will resent him, that's hard to say. As a Syracuse fan, I haven't noticed many problems with players getting along. It seems like they enjoy playing with each other. I watch Scanlan's freshman highlights and it seems like his Loyola teammates liked him. I don't think there will be any talk among the team of Scanlan being a savior, just a great piece to a team that is close to taking the next step in the post season.

While #22 has expectations, I think the expectations put on Scanlan by himself, his teammates and coaches will be what matters most as I think it has for all #22's before him.

I don't disagree with anything you said...I don't know most of the time if I know what I am saying or even agree with it! :lol: I think half the stuff I post is just to get people to think.

That all said, stupified has a better reply than you! ;) I agree with what he said.

hens62: I am afraid you have not seen much of Chase. He is not a dodging threat, whereas Olmstead is. Chase's best quality is his shot placement...very smart and often very tight. I also think you underestimate Lindley's game. And no, no one at Loyola would have put Chase above either of those two so far as importance to the returning team.

Also, for the record, I have never said nor ever would that Pat Spencer wasn't the key to our squad for four years; he was. I apologize if I ever inferred otherwise. What I do believe is sometimes a superstar can hinder other stars from shining, and I will go my eternal RAC grave saying you will be shocked to see how Lindley and Olmstead perform next year. Both are phenomenal players; I also have believed that neither's game fit well with Scanlan's. I'll also say we have the opportunity to actually be a better team next year than we were this year, and I won't belabor why on a Syracuse board, but if I am right (and I am!), I am bookmarking this post! By the way, Cuse owes us a 2-goal spot next time we play. ;)
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:55 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:00 am

That is all. Ratio me.

I don't disagree with anything you said...I don't know most of the time if I know what I am saying or even agree with it! :lol: I think half the stuff I post is just to get people to think.

That all said, stupified has a better reply than you! ;) I agree with what he said.

hens62: I am afraid you have not seen much of Chase. He is not a dodging threat, whereas Olmstead is. Chase's best quality is his shot placement...very smart and often very tight. I also think you underestimate Lindley's game. And no, no one at Loyola would have put Chase above either of those two so far as importance to the returning team.

Also, for the record, I have never said nor ever would that Pat Spencer wasn't the key to our squad for four years; he was. I apologize if I ever inferred otherwise. What I do believe is sometimes a superstar can hinder other stars from shining, and I will go my eternal RAC grave saying you will be shocked to see how Lindley and Olmstead perform next year. Both are phenomenal players; I also have believed that neither's game fit well with Scanlan's. I'll also say we have the opportunity to actually be a better team next year than we were this year, and I won't belabor why on a Syracuse board, but if I am right (and I am!), I am bookmarking this post! By the way, Cuse owes us a 2-goal spot next time we play. ;)
Agreed that stupified's post is very good. Better than mine??? Mine was first and therefore able to cover more topics.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

touche!
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

That is all. Ratio me.
SU has put #22 on a Soph before (Morasco), even a couple Freshmen (Mike Powell, Gait, and Hardy amongst others). After the Evans debacle I think the staff wanted to take a step back and try to use the number strategically. I know a few players the last few seasons have asked about it but the staff kept it under wraps. I think offering it to Chase made it clear that SU wanted him badly and they were willing to offer the most iconic thing they had.

As for Chase as a player I think your selling him short a little bit here. Clearly he benefited from defenses focusing on Pat Spencer but were talking about a true frosh who put up nearly 60 pts and was a Second team AA. Taking nothing away from Lindsey, Olmstead or any other Loyola player or recruit but I have a hard time seeing how he wouldn't be the 1 or 1A option next year for Loyola with Spencer gone. As for SU I don't think fans or even Desko think we suddenly have Mike Powell reincarnated for the next 3 seasons, but we do have an AA player who can play attack and fills a glaring hole for SU. We have plenty of surrounding talent at midfield with Trimboli, Curry, Buttermore, the return of AA Dordevic from injury and Cook is being moved back to his natural position of attack where he was an UA and a top 50 recruit.
DMac

Post by DMac »

When I first saw Cuse on the list of schools Scanlan was considering, I sure gave it a much higher probability than a whole lot of folks who were saying it's just a maybe and low on the list. That made no sense to me, and Hopkins made absolutely no sense to me either. Cornell and that Ivy sheepskin maybe, but inasmuch as he's chasing that communications degree, Cuse makes a whole lot more sense. Lars has a connection to the area and a great respect for the history of the Medicine Game, but this IS the area where he can hang out and run around with a lot of his homies in two world class box arenas ten minutes down the road (which, btw, is loaded with pictures many of the Natives who have played for Cuse going as far back as Oren Lyons...Abrams, Thorpe, Thompson, Jamiesen, and more) then maybe stop by Alfie's place just to shoot the breeze and maybe learn a little something from the master.
Yup, his cousin Zed played for UVa but you can find his mother in the Dome watching his cousins, the Jimerson girls (Alie's graduated but her sister is a Soph this year), playing for Gary, and they love the fact that they transferred from UA to Cuse (no knock to UA, Gary's style just better suits those girls) to play here. While many think Cuse has lost its connection with the NAs, I don't believe there's a whole lot of truth to that.
As for Scanlan wearing #22, I think it's a perfect fit, and JD's shelving of the number turned out to be a real good move, a little ace in the hole so to speak. Scanlan will fit in very nicely at Cuse, he looks like a Cuse type like player to me. The number 45 would have made sense too but I believe Staats had a greater connection to that number than Scanlan....that 22 jersey is going to fit him nicely and I think he'll wear it well.
Welcome aboard, Mr. Scanlon, very much looking forward to watching you play here...kinda like a home away from home for you, eh?
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

Gary didn't wear number 22 as freshman, JC, he and Paul wore 38 and 39 (like the Kim twins do now), can't remember who wore what number but it was their soph year they went to 19 and 22.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Just a casual aside, Turning Stone Resort is a hella fun place to stay, play some golf on 7 courses, and get to catch fading 80's rock acts at prices sure not to break the bank. I have been there and provided quite the positive Yelp review.

Also, all of my previous posts here at Syracuse 2020, upon reflection, are correct. Further to that, Loyola will in fact be a stronger team in 2020 than this year. :!:

(for the uninitiated, my respect for 'Cuse is unequaled in all of lacrosse...the culture of the program is something that I am forever impressed by)
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:28 pm Just a casual aside, Turning Stone Resort is a hella fun place to stay, play some golf on 7 courses, and get to catch fading 80's rock acts at prices sure not to break the bank. I have been there and provided quite the positive Yelp review.

Also, all of my previous posts here at Syracuse 2020, upon reflection, are correct. Further to that, Loyola will in fact be a stronger team in 2020 than this year. :!:

(for the uninitiated, my respect for 'Cuse is unequaled in all of lacrosse...the culture of the program is something that I am forever impressed by)
Thanks PB! I continue to enjoy your posts. Feel free to take your coat off and stay here awhile.

I am rooting for Olmstead. He's on my fantasy team. I'm sure if he stays healthy he will be just fine.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I defer to Cuse followers but I believe they have give. 22 to a few freshmen who also did not turn out to be generational. Then there is Mike Powell who I think inherited it freshman year but I could very well be wrong
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MrcWebber. I know the school and you are spot on. I did not know that was his major or I would have understood but then why look at VA, JHU etc
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 pm Interview on LSN with Chase. https://www.instagram.com/p/BzeWfe3h0YW ... hsj1sbpkud

Syracuse's Communication's Department will have to beat that 'you know' tic out of Chase...I count about 73 'you know's' in this 2-minute interview. Then again, I drop the F-bomb nearly as liberally, so who am I!

The more I think of Chase and his skill set, I actually think 'Cuse is the ideal home for him. He'll be able to roam more freely here than (I suspect) at other programs, and I think that will help his production a ton. With Pat Spencer drawing all defensive eyes and often two sticks at Loyola, the kids at Loyola were able to free-flow on offense somewhat, and Chase really took to that style (it didn't hurt that Pat was able to get the ball to the correct guy more often than not). And, I'm guessing that Chase frankly will enjoy being closer to home...that counts for so much.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree with you across the board, PB, this is where Scanlan should be playing, IMO.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:42 am Agree with you across the board, PB, this is where Scanlan should be playing, IMO.

yup. He'll be fun to watch in an Orange #22. With both Chase and Curry at 'Cuse, I have my second-favorite team to cheer for now in D1 (if any of you have not seen Curry's post-game interview after the Loyola loss, please watch it...it is why I wanted Curry so badly at Loyola, just an incredible kid with an ideal character)
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

As someone that attends several Cuse game every season, I’m excited to see Scanlan there. I had lost track of him since he left Silver Creek and was surprised to see him end up at Loyola. The last time I had seen Scanlan play in person was in 2013 when as a 7th grader he was the starting GK for Silver Creek, led by his cousin Zed Williams, in the state quarterfinals against Penn Yan.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

I like how the Scanlan acquisition balances out the UNC Gray get. I think Gray will improve that team a lot and that's certainly a concern in an already very competitive ACC. And already I'm fantasizing about a Mellen/Gray match up!

Regarding Scanlan, I'd like to see him as a hybrid middie that inverts often. Not sure he will be a QB type of attackman. At least not his first year wearing northern orange. Exciting stuff...
Last edited by tech37 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”