Would BC have at least one national title with a different coach?

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Would BC have at least one national title with a different coach?

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Would you pose the same question about Gary Gait? Particularly from 2012-2016? Or what about the 2016 Terps? Northwestern with Katrina Dowd, Shannon Smith & Danielle Spencer in line to win their SIXTH in a row in 2010?

I don't think you can. Seacoaster hit the nail on the head, there are too many moving parts to be able to definitively point to coaching. As a coach you can prepare your players as best as you can but ultimately they are on the field and you, as the coach, are not. You can make adjustments and substitutions, but you don't have ultimate control over every move your players make, what the other team does, and the calls the officials make.

I feel like people are quick to forget these aren't BC's first stars. Acacia recruited Covie Stanwick, Mikaela Rix, Sarah Mannelly, Caroline Margolis, & Tess Chandler. She and her staff have a knack for recruiting both blue-chip players and "diamonds in the rough". I have no doubt she will have more stars on the way and she'll be back in the championship game in the future.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Agree with last comment. I was taken aback to hear from AWW that 4 years ago BC wasn’t a lacrosse school. Rix a terrific player could have gone anywhere . Played Lax at BC...
BC just wasn’t a top 20 team then but still people knew of the school as a lax school. Both my kids considered BC for academic and lacrosse several years ago. Before the “fab 3” were playing there. Kind of does a disservice to the girls that went there before.
Turtles Lax

Why do you (plural) forget...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...IT’S A TEAM SPORT? :roll:

Next, Acacia Walker-Weinstein is a long time personal friend of whom TL would NEVER say anything negative. Don’t have to now...but if TL did she would understand.

Championships are won by TEAMS...not individual players. Every great player understands that fact...sad that some fans don’t. Just about every top 20 team has a player (maybe two) who could play anywhere.

The Maryland Terrapins were a great TEAM this season. If you are a fan of women’s lax you would have known that very early in the season.

All said, great teams can be beaten. (They are college kids!) :lol: TL is absolutely certain Coach Acacia and her players were certain they would win. So were the Terps, so was Carolina, so was nu.

Only one can win...no participation trophies.

The Terps of ‘16 should have won. But they didn’t. No one said Coach Cathy cannot coach...cannot win.

Boston College had three truly wonderful players... They had a terrific Head Coach.

Gary Gait had some amazing players...just not enough of them. Who’s calling out Gary? ;)

That is all.

Peace, out.

TL
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:15 pm Would you pose the same question about Gary Gait? Particularly from 2012-2016? Or what about the 2016 Terps? Northwestern with Katrina Dowd, Shannon Smith & Danielle Spencer in line to win their SIXTH in a row in 2010?

I don't think you can. Seacoaster hit the nail on the head, there are too many moving parts to be able to definitively point to coaching. As a coach you can prepare your players as best as you can but ultimately they are on the field and you, as the coach, are not. You can make adjustments and substitutions, but you don't have ultimate control over every move your players make, what the other team does, and the calls the officials make.

I feel like people are quick to forget these aren't BC's first stars. Acacia recruited Covie Stanwick, Mikaela Rix, Sarah Mannelly, Caroline Margolis, & Tess Chandler. She and her staff have a knack for recruiting both blue-chip players and "diamonds in the rough". I have no doubt she will have more stars on the way and she'll be back in the championship game in the future.
Unequivocally I ​would pose the same question about Gary ​Gait​ or any of the other people you mentioned. I think it’s a time honored tradition in sports. We do it all the time in other sports – why not women’s lacrosse? It’s just fun to talk about​.​ I find it compelling to ponder. I completely agree about the variables and how many there are. With that in mind, one could say the Eagles were lucky to have ​even ​made it to the championship game this year at all​,​ given the two huge chances the Tar Heels wer​en't​ able to cash in against the Eagles in overtime ​in the semifinal​ – one for ​Ferrucci's​ point blank chance where she shot it right into ​Daly's​ ​upper body​, and the other one ​where Bowe​ clang​ed​ a shot off the inside of the goal post. A couple inches either way and we would’ve had another UNC/Maryland final. To go back to your original question, I have often thought that if ​C​ath​y​ R​eese​ or Jenn​y​ Levy had coached the Kayla ​Treano​r ​Orange, they would have won a title during that span.​ ​
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

A related point is if you had asked the question about Gait would so many people have been offended or upset about the question? My guess is no. Why? Because he’s a man — a big, tough man. AWW is a woman (albeit an obviously tough woman), and I’ve observed a paternalistic sentiment that seems to pervade this wlax board. People ask similar questions— in fact just state the same type of question as fact — all the time on the men’s board about male coaches without the same offense taken. I’m not saying we should start being brutally harsh with female coaches and players. I’m just noting what I think is a clear difference in tone and attitude toward men and women in sports.

This is a point I’ve made before, but I’ll continue to make the observation as it occurs to me because I’m intrigued by gender issues in sports.
wlaxphan20

Re: Why do you (plural) forget...

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Turtles Lax wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Championships are won by TEAMS...not individual players. Every great player understands that fact...sad that some fans don’t. Just about every top 20 team has a player (maybe two) who could play anywhere.

The Maryland Terrapins were a great TEAM this season. If you are a fan of women’s lax you would have known that very early in the season.

All said, great teams can be beaten. (They are college kids!) :lol: TL is absolutely certain Coach Acacia and her players were certain they would win. So were the Terps, so was Carolina, so was nu.

Only one can win...no participation trophies.

The Terps of ‘16 should have won. But they didn’t. No one said Coach Cathy cannot coach...cannot win.

Boston College had three truly wonderful players... They had a terrific Head Coach.

Gary Gait had some amazing players...just not enough of them. Who’s calling out Gary? ;)
well put, was trying to get to this point TL! the teams i mentioned all had their stars, and all had some of the greatest coaching minds in the game, and we never questioned them, and because we never questioned them, I don't think we should be questioning AWW either.

but I do think you mean BC HAS a terrific Head Coach TL :D

Coaches recruit certain players because they feel they will fit in with their system, style of play, team culture, etc. and players commit to certain coaches and programs because they feel that is the best environment for them to grow and thrive as a player. The assumption that a different coach (even one of the greatest) who has had a ton of success with THEIR players in THEIR own system will have the SAME success with players that they (for the most part) did not recruit who are accustomed to playing in a completely different system just doesn't seem right. Just an example, Halle Majorana was a reserve attacker at Maryland for the great Cathy Reese and became a standout star at Syracuse for Gary Gait. She fit into Gait's system better and had more success there. Does that make Cathy a bad coach? Of course not. Does that make Gary better than Cathy? Again, of course not.

Unless there is some kind of Miracle in the Meadowlands or Pete Carroll throwing on 2nd & goal moment I don't think you can blame any of these coaches for hard fought losses against other very talented teams and coaches. And going the opposite way, yeah, the 2016 Cubs won the world series, but Maddon nearly cost them the series TWO separate times! The extreme opposite of good coaching, yet they won anyway. But no one was calling Maddon a great coach after they won!
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxnut wrote
I have often thought that if ​C​ath​y​ R​eese​ or Jenn​y​ Levy had coached the Kayla ​Treano​r ​Orange, they would have won a title during that span.​
Because they would have done what differently?
Badlands

Re: Why do you (plural) forget...

Post by Badlands »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:55 pm
Unless there is some kind of Miracle in the Meadowlands or Pete Carroll throwing on 2nd & goal moment I don't think you can blame any of these coaches for hard fought losses against other very talented teams and coaches.
This is the point I was trying to make on the previous page. I don't remember any plays in any of the three games where the BC coaching staff made glaring errors, although I did see that on numerous occasions throughout the season from various coaches (and I'm sure I would've made plenty had I been on the sidelines!).
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Another relevant way to say this is:

This team deserved better.
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Badlands wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm A related point is if you had asked the question about Gait would so many people have been offended or upset about the question? My guess is no. Why? Because he’s a man — a big, tough man. AWW is a woman (albeit an obviously tough woman), and I’ve observed a paternalistic sentiment that seems to pervade this wlax board. People ask similar questions— in fact just state the same type of question as fact — all the time on the men’s board about male coaches without the same offense taken. I’m not saying we should start being brutally harsh with female coaches and players. I’m just noting what I think is a clear difference in tone and attitude toward men and women in sports.

This is a point I’ve made before, but I’ll continue to make the observation as it occurs to me because I’m intrigued by gender issues in sports.
Who on this thread is offended or upset? I think that's your bias, not any posters on this thread.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:49 am Another relevant way to say this is:

Been watching (lurking) this thread and you have confused me with the above statement. Who deserved better? BC? Why? Because they were great but didn't win? I can think of many top schools that would kill for a trip to the finals and would take losing as a program positive. No one deserves anything.

Maybe I missed your point...if so, I apologize.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Badlands wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 pm A related point is if you had asked the question about Gait would so many people have been offended or upset about the question? My guess is no. Why? Because he’s a man — a big, tough man. AWW is a woman (albeit an obviously tough woman), and I’ve observed a paternalistic sentiment that seems to pervade this wlax board. People ask similar questions— in fact just state the same type of question as fact — all the time on the men’s board about male coaches without the same offense taken. I’m not saying we should start being brutally harsh with female coaches and players. I’m just noting what I think is a clear difference in tone and attitude toward men and women in sports.

Just for the record, I am not offended and gender never entered into my thinking. I think the answer to wlaxnut's question is: can't say, and kinda impossible to say. Same with Gary Gait. Same with all those many, many, many years Jenny Levy had one super-recruiting class after another and still didn't grab the trophy.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:14 pm Same with all those many, many, many years Jenny Levy had one super-recruiting class after another and still didn't grab the trophy.
^^this^^ :D
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:12 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:49 am Another relevant way to say this is:

Been watching (lurking) this thread and you have confused me with the above statement. Who deserved better? BC? Why? Because they were great but didn't win? I can think of many top schools that would kill for a trip to the finals and would take losing as a program positive. No one deserves anything.

Maybe I missed your point...if so, I apologize.
Yep—you got my point Dr. And I agree with yours to a degree as well. But in the end, I will always feel that this core/team underachieved. I agree—“deserve” isn’t a precise word in this context.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:14 pm
Just for the record, I am not offended and gender never entered into my thinking. I think the answer to wlaxnut's question is: can't say, and kinda impossible to say. Same with Gary Gait. Same with all those many, many, many years Jenny Levy had one super-recruiting class after another and still didn't grab the trophy.
[/quote]

Good points, seacoaster.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Doid23 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Who on this thread is offended or upset? I think that's your bias, not any posters on this thread.
There was a strong reaction by some to the question that wlaxnut posed. Read the thread.
Last edited by Badlands on Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Badlands wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:54 pm
Doid23 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:08 pm

There was a strong reaction by some to the question that wlaxfan posed. Read the thread.
*wlaxnut 😉

This is true, Doid23. PLENTY of strong reaction. I concur with Badlands recommendation—and start at the beginning.
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:14 pm

You are probably correct, Seacoaster. I think the question the OP posed is a legit one but the reason nobody seems to be saying Yes to it may just be that there’s no evidence that AWW did anything “wrong” that precluded her teams from winning the title game in each of the last three seasons. Several coaches in different sports banged their heads into the ceiling before finally breaking through. She may too.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Bad decisions in game has been brought up frequently in certain sections of this thread. My question is more at the strategy or system Acacia chose. Maybe it was flawed. Maybe it wasn't a sound game plan against Maryland, or JMU, or UNC on that given day.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:03 am
wlaxnut wrote
I have often thought that if ​C​ath​y​ R​eese​ or Jenn​y​ Levy had coached the Kayla ​Treano​r ​Orange, they would have won a title during that span.​
Because they would have done what differently?
I don't know--maybe their system would have worked better. Maybe their ability to game plan for a given team was stronger than any of their opponents' ability. Maybe they are better assessors of talent and know how to use their players to their strengths better than the other team.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”