Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BigTom4

Re: Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

Post by BigTom4 »

Counselor wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:28 pm Byrne will do a nice job but not the threat to the League Thompson would have been.....
I really don't understand these extreme Jon Thompson point of views. Good coach? Yes. Good guy? Absolutely. But people talk like he is already Tillman level and is getting screwed over by ADs who don't realize what they are missing. He's been at Amherst for 9 years and has yet to win a NESCAC championship. Let that sink in. Hasn't even won a single conference championship. I understand it's the best league in D3, but with the talent he's brought in you'd think he'd have ATLEAST one.

Byrne has a way stronger track record and has been doing it at the D1 level. From the start, he was Harvard's best case scenario and their patience through the process paid serious dividends. His floor is extremely high.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

With all due respect, I think Harvard made a Home Run hire. Byrne is ND lacrosse. He is their Chief Recruiter and builder of the ND lacrosse Culture.

Big loss for ND and the ACC. Huge get for Harvard. I agree with Doc- the Yard just got serious about lacrosse.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

So what made them get religion?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

QuakerSouth wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:25 pm So what made them get religion?
Probably many things, but I’m sure Yale’s recent success caught Harvard’s attention.

As I have noted more than once, Harvard built a top-25-caliber engineering program in less than 10 years after decades of mediocrity. Once Harvard gets serious about something, they usually get pretty good pretty fast.

Would not be shocked to see Harvard reach the Final Four, or even win it all, in the coming decade. :shock: :o

Ok ... maybe a tad shocked. ;)

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:20 pm
Probably many things, but I’m sure Yale’s recent success caught Harvard’s attention.

As I have noted more than once, Harvard built a top-25-caliber engineering program in less than 10 years after decades of mediocrity. Once Harvard gets serious about something, they usually get pretty good pretty fast.

Would not be shocked to see Harvard reach the Final Four, or even win it all, in the coming decade. :shock: :o

DocBarrister 8-)
If Harvard's got religion now, could someone tell me what's the deal with Princeton? Doesn't seem as if they're part of the discussion anymore. Last NCAA appearance was in 2012. Way, way back in the day they had a championship winning program that everyone admired. Is the attitude on Nassau Street well, all that - 6 national championships - was just a fluke because a HOF coach happened to be around, and without him there's nothing to be done?
hbglaxman

Post by hbglaxman »

It would be cool if someone would set up a poll for this question. I'd like to know what others think in regards to Harvard's hiring of Byrne:

Is this a bigger win for Harvard?

or

Is this a bigger loss for Notre Dame?

My belief is that this a great hire for Harvard but it is a much bigger loss for ND. ND has been known for it's defense over the years and Byrne has been that coach, they have never been known for having top tier offenses and that is what Corrigan is in charge of, time will tell but I think ND has really been hurt by this.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I agree - it will be very interesting to see how Corrigan does without Byrne.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

My understanding is that Corrigan is a bit of a jerk but Byrne makes it tolerable.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm I agree - it will be very interesting to see how Corrigan does without Byrne.
Or how Bryne does without Corrigan?
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bandito wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:13 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm I agree - it will be very interesting to see how Corrigan does without Byrne.
Byrne is what kept that place together and the cupboards stocked. In the past 7 years of being on the recruiting trail, I have never seen KC at an event....seen Byrne many of times.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:19 pm
Byrne is what kept that place together and the cupboards stocked. In the past 7 years of being on the recruiting trail, I have never seen KC at an event....seen Byrne many of times.
Everyone loves the asst. coaches(like the backup Qb's). Best of luck to Gerry, but don't believe the "Havard just got serious" hype...job was turned down by 2 other guys and feedback was they couldn't get the commitment they wanted...we'll see.

With regard to Princeton "not in the discussion" anymore?? Just watched the UA all american game and they have a real nice recruiting class coming to campus. Madalon is still a work in progress, but with Sowers, they have a chance...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:22 pm
Everyone loves the asst. coaches(like the backup Qb's). Best of luck to Gerry, but don't believe the "Havard just got serious" hype...job was turned down by 2 other guys and feedback was they couldn't get the commitment they wanted...we'll see.

With regard to Princeton "not in the discussion" anymore?? Just watched the UA all american game and they have a real nice recruiting class coming to campus. Madalon is still a work in progress, but with Sowers, they have a chance...
Stacking classes.
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I would never send my kid to play for Corrigan. I would gladly send him to play for Byrne.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Gerry turned the job down last time, they must have offered a better deal this time. And where are you getting the "2 turned is down" intel? My understanding is that there were 2 others in the mix that pulled out, that is very different than being offered and turning down.

Madalon a work in progress, understatement of the week! I predict Dartmouth moves ahead of Princeton in the next few years.....
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

GBMan wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:21 am

DocBarrister 8-)
If Harvard's got religion now, could someone tell me what's the deal with Princeton? Doesn't seem as if they're part of the discussion anymore. Last NCAA appearance was in 2012. Way, way back in the day they had a championship winning program that everyone admired. Is the attitude on Nassau Street well, all that - 6 national championships - was just a fluke because a HOF coach happened to be around, and without him there's nothing to be done?
The story in circulation is that the Princeton Admissions Office wasn't as flexible at the end of Tierney's tenure as it was at the beginning of it. I think everyone can agree that Denver's admissions requirements aren't as stringent as Princeton's. In addition, Denver's administration had a great desire to make the school more visible to Eastern applicants and viewed investing in their lacrosse program by hiring Tierney as a way to accomplish their goal.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

HowieT3 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 am

DocBarrister 8-)
The story in circulation is that the Princeton Admissions Office wasn't as flexible at the end of Tierney's tenure as it was at the beginning of it. I think everyone can agree that Denver's admissions requirements aren't as stringent as Princeton's. In addition, Denver's administration had a great desire to make the school more visible to Eastern applicants and viewed investing in their lacrosse program by hiring Tierney as a way to accomplish their goal.
Tierney made sure the cupboard was full before he left - Tom Schreiber could play a little bit, as could Mike Channenchuk and Jeff Froccarro - so I'm not sure how much credence to put into that "blame the admissions department" story. In the last few years Yale and Penn seem to be getting top level guys, not to mention Harvard. In the NJ/NY/LI/Philly area alone there are lots of kids from quality public and private schools that are up to snuff academically - look at Mountain Lakes and Delbarton, where a few 2019's are going to Ivies but no one's going to Princeton. You can't get to the dance with just a single transcendent talent like a Schreiber or a Michael Sowers - lacrosse is a team game if nothing else. Think of the talent the Tigers put on the offensive side in '97 - Hess, Hubbard, Massey, PLUS Lorne Smith, and PLUS Josh Sims. Yogi The Bear could have been the sixth guy and they still would have been great. Deep and packed is the way to go then as it is now. I'm sorry, but I just don't see Princeton beating Penn, let alone Yale, anytime soon. We'll see how long the powers that be at Princeton are cool with that. Let's check in at the end of the 2020 season.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

HooDat wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:54 am
I would never send my kid to play for Corrigan. I would gladly send him to play for Byrne.
SPOT ON!!!
Typical Lax Dad

sguy9 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:57 am
Everyone loves the asst. coaches(like the backup Qb's). Best of luck to Gerry, but don't believe the "Havard just got seriouys" hype...job was turned down by 2 other guys and feedback was they couldn't get the commitment they wanted...we'll see.

Gerry turned the job down last time, they must have offered a better deal this time. And where are you getting the "2 turned is down" intel? My understanding is that there were 2 others in the mix that pulled out, that is very different than being offered and turning down.

Madalon a work in progress, understatement of the week! I predict Dartmouth moves ahead of Princeton in the next few years.....
Saving this one! That’s a great post!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

GBMan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:49 am
HowieT3 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 am

DocBarrister 8-)
Tierney made sure the cupboard was full before he left - Tom Schreiber could play a little bit, as could Mike Channenchuk and Jeff Froccarro - so I'm not sure how much credence to put into that "blame the admissions department" story. In the last few years Yale and Penn seem to be getting top level guys, not to mention Harvard. In the NJ/NY/LI/Philly area alone there are lots of kids from quality public and private schools that are up to snuff academically - look at Mountain Lakes and Delbarton, where a few 2019's are going to Ivies but no one's going to Princeton. You can't get to the dance with just a single transcendent talent like a Schreiber or a Michael Sowers - lacrosse is a team game if nothing else. Think of the talent the Tigers put on the offensive side in '97 - Hess, Hubbard, Massey, PLUS Lorne Smith, and PLUS Josh Sims. Yogi The Bear could have been the sixth guy and they still would have been great. Deep and packed is the way to go then as it is now. I'm sorry, but I just don't see Princeton beating Penn, let alone Yale, anytime soon. We'll see how long the powers that be at Princeton are cool with that. Let's check in at the end of the 2020 season.
Saving the post to my photos.
“I wish you would!”
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

oldjayfan wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:54 pm
HooDat wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:54 am
SPOT ON!!!
+1

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”