For hockey fans...

General Chatter
wlaxnut

Re: St Louis vs Boston Game 7

Post by wlaxnut »

DD-Tech wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:51 am
wlaxnut wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:27 am I think the Blues will win, but I can’t come close to feeling confident about it. I sure hope they win.
They tried to force things last night and a lot of those forced plays turned into turnovers. Did not like their game last night after the first period 5 on 3 and Marchand goal. Too many times they got caught trying to make the impossible pass. Tough to be heading to Boston for a game 7. Hope they can pull this out.
It seemed also that the Blues were at least part of the time pulling up on their body checks and not really finishing, as if they didn’t want to give the refs any excuse to make up for game 5’s non-call.

I agree—making the extra pass is not St. Louis’s game. Going back on the road might just be the best thing for them. They have certainly proved that they know how to win in Boston.
old salt

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by old salt »

In these playoffs, the Blues are 6-7 at home, 9-2 on the road.

They seem to perform better away from the hoopla & distractions in StL.

Bennington's been good coming back after a loss.

They've got to get Rask moving laterally, walk it back & forth along the blue line.
They need to give Dunn more ice time & put him on the #1 PP unit.
More shots from the D. Less congestion in front of the net. Draw the B's out.

Should be a great game #7.

There's No Licking in Hockey
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

old salt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 pm In these playoffs, the Blues are 6-7 at home, 9-2 on the road.

They've got to get Rask moving laterally, walk it back & forth along the blue line.

9-2! Crazy, huh?
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

wlaxnut wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:44 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 pm In these playoffs, the Blues are 6-7 at home, 9-2 on the road.

9-2! Crazy, huh?
Let's hope the young Blue in net can close it out with a big bounce back which he seems to do quite well. I think he seemed a bit more rattled a few times vs the Bruins. I like his edge and the chippy attitude but that's not what got Bennington to the Cup. His head down get the job done attitude is what got him there. Seemed a bit chippy the other night. Not sure if that's good or bad.
wlaxnut

Game 7 Tonight!

Post by wlaxnut »

I am so sick and tired of hearing whiny Bostonians cry about how the big bad Blues are headhunters and cheap shot artists. Saying that with a straight face with Brad Marchand on your team is a joke. The Blues are indeed physical but they are far from dirty. And they don’t always finish their checks, I think that has been overstated, but they do always go hard for the puck. I’ve never seen a team as dedicated to disrupting the puck carrier by poke checking and getting their stick in the way as this team does. Wholly and completely rooting for the Blues tonight. Boston has had enough championships for a long long while for my taste.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

That first period.... :shock:

How do the Blues come into the locker room up by two???

Incredible period by the young Blue in 𝐧𝐞𝐭!
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

So glad for St. Louis. The long, long, dark night for the Blues and their fans is over!

https://youtu.be/01bvE20IA7Q
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I was surprised going in that the Blues had never won the Cup. Good for them and who would have thought Craig Berube would have gotten it done.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kudos to the Blues!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 pm Kudos to the Blues!
+1.

As the resident Bruins fan, hard to lose but enjoy the Craig Berube success story. My kind of guy.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
old salt

Post by old salt »

52 years a Blues fan. 41 years a Caps fan. I need to wake up, this is a crazy dream.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Feeling good for the Blues and their fans this morning. Living in Philly, i know something about being a "long suffering fan"...

Quite the game by that young Blues keeper...wow!

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:02 am
Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 pm Kudos to the Blues!
+1.

As the resident Bruins fan, hard to lose but enjoy the Craig Berube success story. My kind of guy.

and kudos to you for your good sportsmanship

Berube - classy guy. 35 years or so in the NHL and has well earned all the accolades he has gotten.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

wlaxnut

From Twitter after the game last night

Post by wlaxnut »

“At least y’all have Brad Marchand to lick your wounds.”
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

The captain Anders Lee with the tweet of all tweets on staying with the Isles.

https://twitter.com/leeberr09/status/11 ... 8619942912
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DD-Tech wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm The captain Anders Lee with the tweet of all tweets on staying with the Isles.

Rivalry is alive and well - NYR president John Davidson turns the knife on Islanders about Artemi Panarin: "We know he wants to be here in New York, specifically with the Rangers."
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Nigel wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm
DD-Tech wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm The captain Anders Lee with the tweet of all tweets on staying with the Isles.

Rivalry is alive and well - NYR president John Davidson turns the knife on Islanders about Artemi Panarin: "We know he wants to be here in New York, specifically with the Rangers."
Isles even offered him more money. Apparently Panarin's lovely wife/girlfriend demanded she wanted to live in Manhattan. I hope he gives her everything she wished for! I hope she drives him nuts. I hope she spends morning day and night on Madison Ave shopping her little Soviet rump off! I hope she drives him up a wall and his game goes to crap!!!! Good luck! RANGERS STILL SUCK!
:mrgreen:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Barry Melrose piece on Gritty! Pulitzer worthy!

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/276 ... took-world
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Possible strike in women's pro hockey:

https://thehockeywriters.com/nwhl-tells ... ns-hockey/

NWHL Tells Their Side of the Women’s Hockey Story

Interesting times in the world of professional women’s hockey. Less than 24 hours after a group of 200 players completed the first stop in the PWHPA Dream Gap Tour, the National Women’s Hockey League (NWHL) put out a few tweets as a de facto response of sorts. The Professional Women’s Hockey Player Association (PWHPA) is a player advocacy group backed by over 200 female hockey players who have decided to sit out of this season in North American hockey to find solutions.

Back when the PWHPA started there were two women’s hockey leagues in North America but after the Canadian Women’s Hockey League (CWHL) shuttered earlier this year, all that is left is the NWHL. On Monday morning, the NWHL official Twitter account sent out a thread of tweets to tell their side of the story amidst criticism over livable wages.

NWHL

@NWHL
A thread on NWHL salaries this season, as a result of our 50/50 revenue split with players and increased investment coming off a spectacular Season 4:

The thread starts off reiterating the 50/50 sponsor related revenue split that starts this upcoming season. Later on, they mention the higher end of their salaries being $15,000 for the upcoming season. With the 50/50 split, they expect a 26% increase in wages meaning the $15,000 for a top of the league player would become $18,900.

Overall the salary cap has risen from $100,000 to $150,000 from season four of the league to season five, which is a 33% year-over-year increase which for any league is an impressive jump. It is unclear what the average player would be paid based on that with the league stating that each team will have between 20-22 players. Assuming the $150,000 is used for 21 players the average wage would be $7,142, accounting for the current 26% bump from the 50/50 split and the wage would rise to roughly $9,000.

more -

I think we can all agree that their pro salaries are low but what else can be done to raise revenues and to increase those salaries?

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Went to Highland Park Ice Arena (actually, the Schulz arena named for the Peanuts cartoonist) to watch WCCHA college club hockey.

UST 6
UWEC 1

2 shorties for the Tommies in the 2d period sealed the deal

https://twitter.com/WCCHAhockey/status/ ... t-thomas-1

Club hockey doesn't quite have the skill and intensity of varsity puck but it is fun just the same. And, it's for FREE. :D

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”