VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxter

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by Laxter »

Chips O'Toole wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:I suspect this is an "announced" matter, not that Lars doesn't have a bunch of recruits lined up. My hunch would be that there are some kids who are listed elsewhere (from the ER process) that will end up at UVA.
Yes. And when I saw 3 or 4 of the 2020 early (pre-new rules) commits who recently changed their commitments to Harvard, I immediately thought that Lars was probably also hot on their trail. As I heard another top D1 head coach say recently "if a kid can get into Harvard, he should go to Harvard." Can't disagree with that. I'd expect we will have 7-8 excellent 2020s by Thanksgiving.
Anyone know of any remaining kids still looking at the Hoos? Looks like most all of IL's top 2020 guys are now off the market. Have to say I'm a bit surprised at how this has transpired.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxter wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:I suspect this is an "announced" matter, not that Lars doesn't have a bunch of recruits lined up. My hunch would be that there are some kids who are listed elsewhere (from the ER process) that will end up at UVA.
Yes. And when I saw 3 or 4 of the 2020 early (pre-new rules) commits who recently changed their commitments to Harvard, I immediately thought that Lars was probably also hot on their trail. As I heard another top D1 head coach say recently "if a kid can get into Harvard, he should go to Harvard." Can't disagree with that. I'd expect we will have 7-8 excellent 2020s by Thanksgiving.
Anyone know of any remaining kids still looking at the Hoos? Looks like most all of IL's top 2020 guys are now off the market. Have to say I'm a bit surprised at how this has transpired.
I have zero insight, but I would suggest that we not think of anyone being "off the market" until they actually sign an NLI. Same as other sports.

My prediction is that we'll see movement each year going forward well after the Sept 1 initial communications 'go' date.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Laxter wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:
I have zero insight, but I would suggest that we not think of anyone being "off the market" until they actually sign an NLI. Same as other sports.

My prediction is that we'll see movement each year going forward well after the Sept 1 initial communications 'go' date.
"we" ????? My dad was a boxing champion at Notre Dame (didn't have lacrosse then, even though 1/4 Cherokee ) You don't see me posting on the Irish thread. You played at Dartmouth, didn't you?

WE?????
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

Laxter wrote:Anyone know of any remaining kids still looking at the Hoos? Looks like most all of IL's top 2020 guys are now off the market. Have to say I'm a bit surprised at how this has transpired.
Just got an excellent FOGO from St Anthony's, previously committed to Boston U. You're right that the coaching change and Lars' reluctance to recruit early may have come at a cost for this particular class in terms of star power. But I think Lars knows enough about the type of player he wants to come out of this with 4-5 very productive players. The other 7-8 may end up being tackling dummies, but that's true of almost every class.
luvlaxlife

Post by luvlaxlife »

[quote="we" ????? My dad was a boxing champion at Notre Dame (didn't have lacrosse then, even though 1/4 Cherokee ) You don't see me posting on the Irish thread. You played at Dartmouth, didn't you?
WE?????
[/quote]

I don't see what issue there is saying "we" if a person is a fan of a team, happens all the time. Think professional teams in every sport--what fan has an actual connection other than a passion for the team. Any fan base should welcome a passionate, loyal and level headed person to their fan base. Not enough of that type out there so why belittle and attempt to exclude?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
Laxter wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:

"we" ????? My dad was a boxing champion at Notre Dame (didn't have lacrosse then, even though 1/4 Cherokee ) You don't see me posting on the Irish thread. You played at Dartmouth, didn't you?

WE?????
Hi Fatty,
Now you're tracking to see where else I post other than the Politics section?

By "we" in that context I meant all fans of of college lacrosse, independent of particular school. "We" should not assume "anyone" is "off the market" until they sign an NLI. This impacts teams that think they have particular 'commits' yet will lose them as well as those schools that become their new destination.

But sure, I'm a life long fan of UVA lacrosse. I grew up cheering for UVA. Many, many games in the stands with my dad wearing orange and blue. My grandfather on my mom's side went to UVA (not a lax player) and my dad was a 3X AA and national champion in lax, captain in his senior year. He stayed very involved in the program and at the school over the years, Board of Managers, Jefferson Fund, etc. I was recruited to play at UVA, but decided at the last moment to go to Dartmouth. My sister didn't get the UVA nod and played field hockey and lacrosse at Wheaton, winning two D3 championships. My son chose to go to Harvard, All-Ivy. My son's goalie coach was UVA star Adam Ghittleman. My sister's daughters were recruited a lot of places to play lax. One chose to go to W&L but then didn't play, the other, better player, turned down several D1 offers to go to UVA but not as a lax recruit. She played club ball. Loved UVA, just finished a 5th year at the Batten School.

I had some interactions with Lars and his staff during my son's recruiting and then as a competitor in the Ivy League. My son had some of his best performances against Brown and Lars was terrifically gracious. Impressed me. I also happen to really like the fast paced style of play and general attitude on encouraging risk taking.
When Lars got the new gig at UVA, my dad reached out to congratulate him and Lars took the opportunity to interact with him consistently thereafter. They've shared meals and Lars has been genuinely interested in the full history of UVA lacrosse. That's been appreciated by the players from the USILA era who felt largely ignored by the prior staff.

So, yeah, I'm a fan of UVA and its lacrosse team. That means I'll be an open critic when I think appropriate, but otherwise be cheering for them when I can.

BTW, I'm also a Hopkins fan having grown up backing up the goal as a kid and with many pals who played there. I'm a fan of my own alma mater, my son's, and otherwise may root for schools where I happen to know the kids for some reason, whether they are sons of friends or my son may have played with or coached them.

But let's not suggest that we should only post and discuss lacrosse on our alma mater's thread. We need more posters as it is!

On the other hand, I do think that when on another school's thread we should be at least civil and be clear where our loyalties may lie. Keep it constructive as much as we can.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Lighten up. I look forward to reading your "we" posts on the UMASS-Lowell and Monmouth threads. :D And, no, not stalking you. A former player I coached is VERY interested in switching college committments.....to WAHOO land. One of those weird goalie types.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Laxter wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:
I'm going to trust Lars over the guys at Inside Lacrosse. If they were more right than wrong UVA would have at least been in the final four the last couple of years if it was all about their talent evaluation.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Its just lacrosse history.
History and commentary you’re not going to get elsewhere.

Two I recall.
Bob Rule showed up one day on probably the Cornell forum on old LP.
One other was Hobart’s Rick Gilbert showed up on some thread.

Still have not seen QK show up yet here at FanLax !
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:Lighten up. I look forward to reading your "we" posts on the UMASS-Lowell and Monmouth threads. :D And, no, not stalking you. A former player I coached is VERY interested in switching college committments.....to WAHOO land. One of those weird goalie types.
8-) cool, you just felt like being snarky.

Yes, "we" goalies are indeed a 'weird' bunch. Have to have at least some screws loose to get into the net after all. :D

I haven't ever had any buddies with kids at Monmouth or kids I've coached go there, but I do follow UMass...and even UMass-Lowell a bit, given that Dartmouth and Harvard play them occasionally. Over on the former pages, I'd posted on each in a complimentary way. Holy Cross, Quinnipiac, Air Force, whatever. I'm following Utah a bit given knowing so many on that coaching staff.

But the 'we' up above was 'we' readers, posters, fans of college lacrosse, not 'we' UVA fans, though I'd certainly count myself in the latter too.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Chips O'Toole wrote:
Laxter wrote:Anyone know of any remaining kids still looking at the Hoos? Looks like most all of IL's top 2020 guys are now off the market. Have to say I'm a bit surprised at how this has transpired.
Just got an excellent FOGO from St Anthony's, previously committed to Boston U. You're right that the coaching change and Lars' reluctance to recruit early may have come at a cost for this particular class in terms of star power. But I think Lars knows enough about the type of player he wants to come out of this with 4-5 very productive players. The other 7-8 may end up being tackling dummies, but that's true of almost every class.
Not sure a class that is more than half “tackling dummies” will cut it against the teams the Hoos are competing against. Hopefully 2021 will be a different story.
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

Laxter wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:
Not sure a class that is more than half “tackling dummies” will cut it against the teams the Hoos are competing against. Hopefully 2021 will be a different story.
Nah, that's just he way it is when you have 50+ player rosters. You don't have more than about 20 players getting significant minutes in the real games. Will we have more than 5 seniors this year who are significant contributors? Who did we have last year besides D'Amario, Hooper and Stafford?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Chips O'Toole wrote:
Laxter wrote:
Chips O'Toole wrote:
Nah, that's just he way it is when you have 50+ player rosters. You don't have more than about 20 players getting significant minutes in the real games. Will we have more than 5 seniors this year who are significant contributors? Who did we have last year besides D'Amario, Hooper and Stafford?
"tackling dummies" sounds pejorative, but I agree that the reality is that any given class typically yields only half or less as top on-field contributors. Which doesn't mean that the other guys aren't important practice contributors and could well jump into the breach in the event of injury etc. It's pretty rare for a class to have more than half end up being serious difference makers.

I think the more important question, at least insofar as we're talking Final Four caliber teams, is whether the 4-6 players in a given class are actually better than their head to head competition at the very top level. You definitely need a few guys who aren't just on par but rather really create separation.

But beyond that question the most important aspect is the team culture. Does everyone fight for GB's? Do they help each other improve? Do they have a positive attitude regardless of whether they're on the field or not?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

College lacrosse: it's almost impossible to rize in the depth charts. Coaching to player ratio is so high.
And ain't no Div. I coach reviewing practice film to prove themselves wrong when choosing the guys that play.

Now, if the Hoo's can just find some long poles that can actually take the ball away.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Am I hearing correctly that there are a bunch of musical chairs going on for 2020 class and the Hoos are starting to land some flips?

#15 lefty attackman?
Per Ty Xander: No. 15 junior Russell Maher, A, Mt. Sinai (N.Y.) / @ExpressLacrosse has flipped from Syracuse to Virginia.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Flew down to Durham today to watch Bronco's Boys take on DUKE (How about them HOOS?). Sat with a bunch of Duke lacrosse players,parents and alums in the 1st half.They were pretty chuffed that O'Neill switched. :D Who wouldn't be.Kid's a beast.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Anyone have a report from the alumni game?
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Laxter wrote:Anyone have a report from the alumni game?
Dribs and drabs on The Sabre. One report said Lamb scored 4 goals.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Not sure who played for the alumni but can’t take but too much away from that. The Penn State scrimmage, and the tight manner in which it was played, would have been far more valuable to the staff coming out of Fallball. Much of last year’s Team returns so a veteran group. Surprisingly to me anyway, not much info out about the talented newcomers at attack, Cormier and Dickson yet anyway.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”