Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 am Question: if you transfer within conference do you need to sit a year?
Interesting transfer
That is the case in Football with the ACC, I believe....I think that Lax is a little less constraining. I'm not sure I would want one of my players going to in conference competition...but that's just me. Until the rumor I heard is confirmed by the player or the universities, I wont speculate...
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 am Question: if you transfer within conference do you need to sit a year?
Interesting transfer
Yes
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

Doid23 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 pm
Interesting transfer
Yes
I'm not so sure about that. Mostly we hear about these rules related to football and basketball, but most sports have different rules. There was much discussion about this last year with some men's transfers, and I recall the general understanding was that the school the player is leaving may grant a written release allowing the transferring player to play immediately at her chosen school, even if in the same conference. May come down to whether that school is willing to grant the release. Some coaches have granted the release to play right away only if the transferring player goes to a school that is out of conference or is not on the team's schedule the following year.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

If it's a high level player with a few years of eligibility and in same conference,
A team you will see reg season, and in conference playoffs: why would coach release that player.
I could see if it's a player with limited playing time....
Plus It might depend on why the player transferred.
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Badlands wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:08 pm
Interesting transfer
Yes
I'm not so sure about that. Mostly we hear about these rules related to football and basketball, but most sports have different rules. There was much discussion about this last year with some men's transfers, and I recall the general understanding was that the school the player is leaving may grant a written release allowing the transferring player to play immediately at her chosen school, even if in the same conference. May come down to whether that school is willing to grant the release. Some coaches have granted the release to play right away only if the transferring player goes to a school that is out of conference or is not on the team's schedule the following year.
Can’t say whether or not the current team will grant a waiver, but current ACC rules state that player has to sit out a year (but not count towards eligibility).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Doid23 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27 pm
Badlands wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:08 pm
Interesting transfer
Yes
Can’t say whether or not the current team will grant a waiver, but current ACC rules state that player has to sit out a year (but not count towards eligibility).
but it will count in their 5 to play 4.
any release from a scholarship will need to have a release from the school/coach, because the ncaa rule is (for all sports) that you must sit a year. all sports other than football, basketball, baseball and hockey have a one time exception if you can get a waiver from the school. the release can state whatever it wants in regard to being restrictive, and i have never heard of a transfer that's been allowed in-conference (in any sport) without having to sit.
the closest is nicky galasso, who left during the fall semester from unc to go to syracuse, with the opportunity to play that spring. however, syracuse wasn't in the acc at that time, they had scheduled their big east exit for july after that spring's season.

schools do not want to set a precedent for themselves that they have to answer for later with other athletes.

i believe either the school or the student would also have to convince the conference to waive their rule. don't quote me on that one, but good luck getting a conference to set that precedent if that's true.

will follow this one, but i know how this movie ends.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 am
Doid23 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:17 am BC getting a good one...maybe two.
I also heard BC getting a big name.
Big name? Is this a NAME that 10 HS players would know?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Sabrina Cristodero leaving Florida Gators to go to Hofstra Women’s Lax. Florida losing a big chip on draw circle and on defense.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am [quote="Dr. Tact" post_id=61465 time=<a href="tel:1561457670">1561457670</a> user_id=429]
[quote=Doid23 post_id=61461 time=<a href="tel:1561436238">1561436238</a> user_id=1584]
BC getting a good one...maybe two.
[/quote]

[/quote]
LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am
If you follow Women’s D1 lax and play her team then you know who she is. Not sure if you are a High school player if you would know her?
Badlands

Post by Badlands »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:17 am
More like 10 per HS team would know it.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Can we guess? North, Ortega, Petty, Trenchard, Cooper, Moreno, Aldave. Only considering rising sophs/ juniors who are impact players in the ACC. Feel free to delete if speculation is not allowed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Now I'm curious too...

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hsllax wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:40 pm Can we guess? North, Ortega, Petty, Trenchard, Cooper, Moreno, Aldave. Only considering rising sophs/ juniors who are impact players in the ACC. Feel free to delete if speculation is not allowed.
My rumor is one of those above. :mrgreen:
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 pm
hsllax wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:40 pm Can we guess? North, Ortega, Petty, Trenchard, Cooper, Moreno, Aldave. Only considering rising sophs/ juniors who are impact players in the ACC. Feel free to delete if speculation is not allowed.
My rumor is one of those above. :mrgreen:
Lol just waiting on press release :)
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but while we are talking about impact players...

Olivia Ferrucci recently had surgery to repair a torn meniscus, which may or may not solidify her choice to forego her final year of eligibility.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

These are all interesting names. What about them makes you wonder if they might transfer?

In general, what makes a player transfer? I know some of the reasons have to be improving their chance to win a national championship (so they transfer to Maryland, of course. [Siverson and Evans to name a couple recent transfers]) Some transfer for their 5th year for academic reasons, like McNulty to JHU from Princeton.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

There have been several transfers out of Florida in the past few years: due to personality clashes and it not being a good fit. The latest was more of her being homesick and wanting to play close to home. A lot of these kids were committing to play for a school in 9th-10th grade without really knowing how they will actually fit in there. After one season 2 years ago a player transferred out of BC after (allegedly) not liking coach.
In the case of the the player supposedly transferring this summer I believe it’s a quest to go to a team to win a championship. Not sure how you can guarantee that - unless you are transferring to Maryland lol
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 am
These are all interesting names. What about them makes you wonder if they might transfer?

In general, what makes a player transfer? I know some of the reasons have to be improving their chance to win a national championship (so they transfer to Maryland, of course. [Siverson and Evans to name a couple recent transfers]) Some transfer for their 5th year for academic reasons, like McNulty to JHU from Princeton.

Some of the coaches are horrible to the girls-toxic environments-these are peoples daughters.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Yes that’s def true. But curiously I have heard from many parents of players that KAH is nasty as can be and plays mind game so with her players
but I don’t see anyone transferring from NU?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 am

I don’t think McNulty was a transfer. She used her fourth year of eligibility during her first year of graduate school. The Ivy doesn’t allow a redshirt year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”