UNC
1%
Other
2%

Total votes: 103

Typical Lax Dad

Re: Transfer Poll: Chase Scanlan - Open through July 12th

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:18 pm Way, way, way too much emphasis is being put on his "blue collar" comment. It's pretty clear he was caught off-guard by LSN and when asked to give a response, said something that wasn't entirely accurate. The schools he's looking at are the furthest thing from anyone's idea of blue collar so clearly that's not what he meant.
He is probably talking about less homogeneous. That’s my take.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

and from his final list of schools, only cornell stands as far out the spectrum as loyola.

lacrosse is a different matter, though. as much as native americans gave the game to others, and in some areas are spiritually connected to the game -- there are but so many players, their population where the sport is popular is not large.
diversity in the sport has crept along -- but crept is an accurate descriptor, imo. other sports have more allure in toto.

so -- socially, the campus, the locker room --- it can't be easy to find the connections and commonality that you'd like to be around somewhat. i'm not going to nick him for seeking that out. could be as simple as personalities. we're likely not ever getting the full story. hopefully. it'd be better if we weren't discussing this on the internet had his thoughts on the matter not gotten out there, but this too shall pass.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell has a significant commitment to diversity, and a respectable tradition of Native American players. As noted, Cornell has an academic major relating to indigenous peoples. Cornell's coaches and players overlap with the box lacrosse community to a significant degree. Also, the lacrosse program has a good relationship with the Tewaaraton Foundation. He could be a real difference maker in Cornell's Final Four prospects.

While it's a long shot that Chase will be headed to Ithaca, there are reasons to think it's a possibility.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:18 pm Way, way, way too much emphasis is being put on his "blue collar" comment. It's pretty clear he was caught off-guard by LSN and when asked to give a response, said something that wasn't entirely accurate. The schools he's looking at are the furthest thing from anyone's idea of blue collar so clearly that's not what he meant.
My guess he was referring to the Prep School component--although he did attend IMG, that's not exactly preppie Prep School!!
Mr. Webber

Post by Mr. Webber »

faircornell is right about Cornell having a strong legacy of Native American players going back at least half a century (although it's nothing like the special, deep connections that Syracuse's program has with that community) as well as an American Indian and Indigenous Studies program. It's great that Cornell offers the courses and the minor, but IMO the gem that I wish more people knew about was Akwe:kon, which is CU AIIS' residential partner. When it debuted on North Campus almost 30 years ago, it was the nation's first residence hall devoted to AI culture. I wish more colleges and universities in New York State had Living Learning Communities like that, especially public institutions.

(BTW, shout out to Kason Tarbell, CU lax '19, on graduating. He was the nation's first Mohawk Nation at Akwesasne winner of a Tewaaraton Scholarship. Great to see the outcome.)

Sorry for the tangent. It's nice that Scanlan's transfer has shed some light on this subject.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

His follow up commentary, makes it seem like lacrosse is not the reason for the move. He talks about outside the locker room and what he wants to do education wise.

Lars' background with the Onondaga, his emphasis on well-rounded players and work in the classroom seems to make a perfect fit. Zed's success at UVA has to be coming into consideration as well.

It sounds like Chase is a serious young man who wants to make the most of the educational opportunity as he can. Don't know much about how the Loyola culture works on that front, but coach Tiffany is all business. He is building a culture that is low on parties and high on lacrosse and classwork.

I look forward to seeing Chase in his blue collar with orange V-Sabre accents!! ;)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 am His follow up commentary, makes it seem like lacrosse is not the reason for the move. He talks about outside the locker room and what he wants to do education wise.

Lars' background with the Onondaga, his emphasis on well-rounded players and work in the classroom seems to make a perfect fit. Zed's success at UVA has to be coming into consideration as well.

It sounds like Chase is a serious young man who wants to make the most of the educational opportunity as he can. Don't know much about how the Loyola culture works on that front, but coach Tiffany is all business. He is building a culture that is low on parties and high on lacrosse and classwork.

I look forward to seeing Chase in his blue collar with orange V-Sabre accents!! ;)

For starters, Loyola is a Jesuit school, and that transition is simply not for everyone.

Toomey is as good a coach in all of D1. He has had incredible success at a school that is 1/3 the size of the undergraduate enrollment at UVA. We (I am a fan) tend to get players that are not often on IL's or UA's AA squad, notwithstanding Stover and Spencer. So we have to fight a little harder, with a larger chip on our shoulder. Charley has one NC on his resume with another soon to come. Also, we have had great success against UVA.

Not for nothing, we have the best lacrosse stadium in D1, and (no one can argue this one) the best fans in lacrosse (sorry 'Cuse).

;)
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Hope I didn't come across as taking a shot at Loyola. None was intended. I REALLY don't know the culture there, but from the (way) outside - Toomey looks like a great coach and as you say their facilities are great. There is no doubting Loyola's lacrosse chops. From everything Scanlan has said, his move is NOT related to lacrosse.

The school that get's Scanlan will be offering the "thing" outside the lacrosse part of the equation that Scanlan (at least) wants but could not find at Loyola. It could be a simple as urban versus rural campus - I don't know. I am just glad that UVA is on his list, but I am not gloating over Loyola losing him.

Maybe we can work out a trade a goalie for a midfielder...? ;)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:35 am Hope I didn't come across as taking a shot at Loyola. None was intended. I REALLY don't know the culture there, but from the (way) outside - Toomey looks like a great coach and as you say their facilities are great. There is no doubting Loyola's lacrosse chops. From everything Scanlan has said, his move is NOT related to lacrosse.

The school that get's Scanlan will be offering the "thing" outside the lacrosse part of the equation that Scanlan (at least) wants but could not find at Loyola. It could be a simple as urban versus rural campus - I don't know. I am just glad that UVA is on his list, but I am not gloating over Loyola losing him.

Maybe we can work out a trade a goalie for a midfielder...? ;)

Man, your one free agent goalie already signed with Penn, unless you are suggesting a trade of Scanlan for Rode, in which case you are on! I did what I could here and elsewhere with respect to the young Burkinshaw, but he apparently did not see how great life would've been for him at the REAL Charles Street college in Baltimore (not that other one down the way).

In any event, obviously and soberly we all hope Chase goes where he is happiest, be it UVA or Syracuse or wherever.

I simply note that our first real game in 2020 is in Charlottesville, making that a very interesting game indeed should Chase be a 'Hoo. Can't wait already for next season. February seems so far away.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I wonder where Chase will play. He’s not necessarily a middie despite being an AA “Midfielder” and coming through the box all season. He played the low wing a lot and handled the ball at attack in practice a ton. More attackman than middie imo.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why are folks so dismissive of PSU? Tambroni I not only coached at cornell. But was also a Hobart HOF graduate,lacrosse star and from W genny. You telling me any of these here coaches have come from as empathetic and locally resonant experience as JT? States school so even if partial scholly cost is manageable and their more loaded at attack than mid. I really think that’s an excellent split the baby pick.

Just as a direct comp, assuming Cornell would be a tip type acceptance in the world of AI, how is Cornell with their coach who’s from section 5 but college down in southern Pa, coached mainly in the south and mheritrd a volatile situation at a great and hard to gain admit to school in Cornell vs a final four team with a CNY kid who played in Seneca Lake for the great underdog in all of college lacrosse history, who coached at Cornell and had superior results to Dave P, who took PSU to a level never seen before. Why is Cornell in the discussion?
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 pm Why are folks so dismissive of PSU?
Because Scanlan said he's no longer considering them, per the IL article.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is IL he absolute and definitive source for information?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I48hr8HhDv0
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:19 pm Is IL he absolute and definitive source for information?

Xanders spoke to Scanlan directly.

It's down to UVA, Maryland, and Hopkins, with UVA the favorite.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:19 pm Is IL he absolute and definitive source for information?

Xanders spoke to Scanlan directly.

It's down to UVA, Maryland, and Hopkins, with UVA the favorite.
That’s my call.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

And add Cornell to that list of three. Forgot them. But there's still some uncertainty over whether he'd be eligible to apply.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 pm And add Cornell to that list of three. Forgot them. But there's still some uncertainty over whether he'd be eligible to apply.
Don’t know how serious he can be about Cornell if he visits Ithaca without visiting with the coaches.

No inside knowledge, just an observation. Could be wrong.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

And as far as diversity goes, I would guess Loyola is more diverse than most:
High School Information
Catholic 27%
Jesuit 6%
Private 9%
Public 55%
Other (including home-schooled) 3%
Though I would have preferred to label Catholic as "non-Jesuit Catholic", but my wife probably approves the break-down as-is.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I believe that Xanders mentioned on Twitter that the Scanlan announcement would come today or tomorrow. Buckle up, boys!!

Fwiw, and it ain't worth much, I don't see a good fit at UVA. Has nothing to do with Lars or Williams, which obviously helps, but if Scanlan arrives, then someone else there is gonna leave. Too many great players without enough open spots on the field. I just don't see a good fit there, in spite of what he said as UVA being 'in the lead'.

(this process should be like The Bachelor, where he eliminates one team every week, and the fans get to eliminate one team over the process, which of course Hopkins would be every fan's #1 choice to not get any transfer, so perhaps that would be unfair to HOP :lol: )
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

(should have posted this here)

Had a few ideas last night regarding transfers. For clarity of argument sake, let's say Chase Scanlan transfers from Loyola to Syracuse.

If a team loses a high caliber player (in this case, Loyola), a couple evening options (you only get to take one though):

1. with no penalty whatsoever, Loyola staff and coaches are allowed to approach any player on Syracuse for one year and attempt to recruit any player away from that team
2. if these two teams play any of the years while this transfer is an enrolled student, Loyola starts the game against Syracuse with a 2-goal lead.
3. Syracuse must pay the equivalent in dollars that Loyola had to spend on recruiting the kid in the first place, plus his first year's room, board, and tuition: let's call it a minimum of $75,000

:idea:

;)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”