Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
thetruth

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by thetruth »

Who would have ever thought of "blue collar" and "college transfer" as being two terms that go together.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I’ve met the kid in passing. Seems like a smart, promising, young man. Reports from teammates and coaches say he’s a great kid and teammate. I know he has a great family. I’m sad Loyola is losing such a talent but he reportedly wants to be closer to his family and continue to set a good example, just a tad closer to home. Good luck to Chase. Next man up for the Hounds!
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The exact Quote...
"I felt Loyola wasnt the right fit atmosphere wise within the locker room. I am looking for somewhere a little bit more blue collared. Looking to go to the ACC or Big 10 but open to options"
I get it completely and believe he speaks with and is coming from a place of authenticity. From his Twitter timeline . Blue collar as in economic class, not grit...big difference.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:24 am The exact Quote...
"I felt Loyola wasnt the right fit atmosphere wise within the locker room. I am looking for somewhere a little bit more blue collared. Looking to go to the ACC or Big 10 but open to options"
I get it completely and believe he speaks with and is coming from a place of authenticity. From his Twitter timeline . Blue collar as in economic class, not grit...big difference.
I agree with others that less probably would have more in this situation. Not sure what you are seeing on Twitter, but could it be a canard? Maybe like Gray being motivated by academic ambitions to transfer to UNC (unless he'll be a Morehead Scholar). Other forums had more color on the other factors that might possibly have been in play with Gray, but it will be interesting to see if there is more to this story. No matter what, a tough loss for Loyola.

So where does one find "blue collar" within DI lacrosse? Isn't Towson one of the programs with a more "blue collar" slant? At least, I have heard that they often recruit public school players who might have been overlooked, have a chip on their shoulder, or something to prove versus the private school kids. Haven't really looked, but is one measure is the number of players from public schools on a roster, or at least public schools outside of affluent areas, like New Canaan and Darien? Could the same be said about Albany or Syracuse? Maybe Ohio State?
Last edited by laxpere on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:58 am...that sort of excessive candor sometimes goes with the territory when you're talking about a young kid who maybe hasn't figured out yet what to filter and what not.
For sure.
Homer wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:58 amI do find it a little amusing how people seem to get so hung up on the lacrosse meaning of "blue collar" as a kind of metaphor for showing toughness and working hard ("Yale, that's a real blue-collar, lunch-pail program") that they find it cryptic and confusing when somebody uses it to refer to actual social backgrounds and tastes. Frankly I would be rather surprised if the Loyola lacrosse locker room exudes a particularly working-class vibe.
Agreed. Blue collar has morphed into many different meanings. I don't think Scanlan is referring to Loyola as being a team that doesn't get their hands dirty, doesn't "work hard".
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I think we are over-reading the quote. I think Chase is likely to end up at Cuse or Albany, and if we are being frank, Loyola is a Jesuit school. It isn't for everybody, folks.

On to more interesting news: Chris Brandau of G-town just entered the transfer portal. We did everything in our power to nudge Burkinshaw our way, but we failed miserably. Could Chris Brandau look at Loyola, where his fellow Boy's Latin alumnus Pat Spencer excelled? Goalie is the only position where we have an open question mark. And Brandau is from Baltimore. :idea:
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

The Loyola campus is certainly filled with more upper middle class or straight up wealthy kids than anything else. They have huge pipelines from NE private schools. It creates a certain kind of culture. For most lacrosse players it is the same culture they're used to since they come from a lot of those same NE private schools. Maybe Scanlan just wasn't a fan of it. I also think he wants to be closer to home. I still think it'll be Syracuse or Albany. Honestly he jokes around on social media with the Thompsons and Tehoka a good bit so maybe it'll be Albany. I'd prefer that to Cuse.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

From USLax magazine discussing the Adrenaline All American Game.

"Eric Pacheco (Loyola) won the MVP award with his dominant play at the faceoff, especially in the second half and with his pivotal win in OT. "

Kid really dominated the day, He might even push Bailey for the #1 FOGO position. For him to be so successful on the summer circuit and win a majority of FO's against other Adrenaline AA Faceoff guys is very impressive.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Another thing i like to add. I follow Stover on IG, (actually met and talked with him when we were lining up to get books in the fall of my junior year "2016-2017", super humble kid). Anyway, before he went to homewood to practice with Atlas and help out with the goaliesmith clinic, he and the staff appeared to give Teitelbaum private lessons on being a college GK.

What a nice gesture by Stover to pass down knowledge he learned from Toomey, as well as personal insights to possible defensive schemes Loyola runs and the defenders who he will be teaming with.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:51 pm From USLax magazine discussing the Adrenaline All American Game.

"Eric Pacheco (Loyola) won the MVP award with his dominant play at the faceoff, especially in the second half and with his pivotal win in OT. "

Kid really dominated the day, He might even push Bailey for the #1 FOGO position. For him to be so successful on the summer circuit and win a majority of FO's against other Adrenaline AA Faceoff guys is very impressive.

I tell you I have seen this kid...he is an underrated national player, whom even the IL guys haven't warmed up to because they have not seem him play. He's big, fast, athletic, and smart. He wins every FO. I'd rather see Toomey coach him up on offense than use him as a FOGO, because I think Bailey will excel next year (as well as Cottone!), but what do I know. It's a high class problem.

I keep saying we are under-ranked next year because everyone is focused on the loss of Pat and Jacob, but sometimes performance is about how a team gels, not necessarily how great your individual players are. I see this team as Lindley's primarily. I trust this kid Lindley...don't ask me why because I can't quite put my finger on it; he's a supernaturally smart player whom I feel has been biding his time to lead. So far as Chase, like I said, this was not a surprise to the coaches...and may have a positive net effect on the team...
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW77rGF ... work%7CTLN

Heres the full Adrenaline game on youtube. 25 Goals total and i believe Pacheco took around 14-15 of those starting FO's and by my count he won 10-11 of those. i think he won 7 of those absolutely clean.

This is a physically big guy who doesn't skip the weight room that much. Creates many transition opportunities for the team when he wins. Can also fly down the field when he wins the clamp clean and pops the ball out to himself
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Not sure how losing a talented player may have a "positive effect on the team" unless there was chemistry problems. Savio is a nice fogo and just going to get better. Olmstead can be a distributor and Lindley got better creating his own. Not sure why a kid would leave Georgetown to play for Loyola no offense intended.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 pm Not sure how losing a talented player may have a "positive effect on the team" unless there was chemistry problems. Savio is a nice fogo and just going to get better. Olmstead can be a distributor and Lindley got better creating his own. Not sure why a kid would leave Georgetown to play for Loyola no offense intended.

(off the top of my head)

1. Closer to home
2. Better stadium
3. More fans
4. Smarter Jesuits
5. More likely to win a NC
6. Coaching preference
7. Legacy
8. High school affiliation with university
9. More conservative campus
10.More page count on fanlax.com
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:10 am
stupefied wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 pm Not sure how losing a talented player may have a "positive effect on the team" unless there was chemistry problems. Savio is a nice fogo and just going to get better. Olmstead can be a distributor and Lindley got better creating his own. Not sure why a kid would leave Georgetown to play for Loyola no offense intended.

(off the top of my head)

1. Closer to home
2. Better stadium
3. More fans
4. Smarter Jesuits
6. Coaching preference
7. Legacy
BAM!! :shock: :o :) :D
molo

Post by molo »

While I don’t doubt that lax players are more conservative than college students in general, is political stance that big an issue with potential transfers? On a related note, I wonder how much the perceived political views of coaches matter in the recruiting and retention process. As one whose views are somewhat out of the mainstream, I’m used to working with and for people who may not vote as I do, but I can envision an environment in which it could become uncomfortable for players who feel too far removed from the prevailing mindset of the organization. My sense is that personal style probably trumps outright politics.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Molo - “My sense is that personal style probably trumps outright politics.”

That’s Punny...
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

(off the top of my head)

1. Closer to home
2. Better stadium
3. More fans
4. Smarter Jesuits
6. Coaching preference
7. Legacy
Actually PB, you'd be surprised how left leaning Loyola is on campus
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:40 pm

(off the top of my head)

1. Closer to home
2. Better stadium
3. More fans
4. Smarter Jesuits
6. Coaching preference
7. Legacy
Actually PB, you'd be surprised how left leaning Loyola is on campus

Oh I know, but nowhere close to Georgetown. I mean, Christine Fair is in a league of her own.
Hounds01

Post by Hounds01 »

So i hear scanlon is looking at SU, Maryland and Penn State.... Not the blue collar atmosphere you think he is looking for. IMO he is looking for a national championship and someone that an distribute to him. Spencer made him look very good this year and he may worry that he will struggle next year,
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Hounds01 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:03 am So i hear scanlon is looking at SU, Maryland and Penn State.... Not the blue collar atmosphere you think he is looking for. IMO he is looking for a national championship and someone that an distribute to him. Spencer made him look very good this year and he may worry that he will struggle next year,
Those schools are probably all significantly more socioeconomically diverse than Loyola is. I haven't been on any of those campuses long enough to know for sure but I find it hard to believe they wouldn't be. If he really didn't like the campus climate then basically any Big Ten or ACC school would probably offer something different. My money is still on Syracuse.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”