Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

Post by oldjayfan »

Muleski-- just breaking your stones...your insight is always welcomed. AND, I'm with you 100% on the Kirwan opinion--not the right time/place...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Muleski wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm Fair point....I'll go away. Nothing to add.......
nah, you do you, muleski.
most of us on this site are interested in experienced info if there is some out there. oldjay guy seems more than a little salty at times for some reason. pay him no mind.

edit --- and just like that, oldjay guy goes and totally redeems himself!!!!
Last edited by wgdsr on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:43 pm
Muleski wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:43 pm Fair point....I'll go away. Nothing to add.......
nah, you do you, muleski.
most of us on this site are interested in experienced info if there is some out there. oldjay guy seems more than a little salty at times for some reason. pay him no mind.

edit --- and just like that, oldjay guy goes and totally redeems himself!!!!
:lol: touche'
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

I must say that if two guys named Muleski and Oldjay aren’t drinking buddies then something isn’t right in the world.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Towson’s Anthony Gilardi takes over at Stony Brook. Interesting. Beat out Wellner, Matt Danowski, and an unnamed Division I head coach.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/54887

Congratulations to Coach Gilardi and Stony Brook!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

This is a great hire:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/54887

Anthony Gilardi brings much to the table for the Seawolves. He's a passionate, yet humble, nose to the grindstone, blue collar guy, who will inject significant amounts of positivity into USB's program. We coached against his HS team, (Baldwin) and then he was a teammate with two of my former players at OSU. It's not surprising that he went into coaching as he was like a coach on the field in his playing days. He was a quick, tough attackman who was a relentless rider. He's paid his dues at Denison, OSU, Navy, and most recently, at Towson. I spoke with someone last night who has a close connection to the USB program, and he said that it was a very tough choice, as both Danowski and Wellner were very impressive. An educator friend once told be that one can only benefit from an interview process, regardless of whether a job is obtained or not. They'll be other HC opportunities for both of those excellent young coaches, IMHO. Good luck to Anthony and the Seawolves. I'm obviously biased, but I'm very happy about this hire.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

jerzyjoe81 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 pm Any word from SB or Harvard. Recruiting events are off and running. Have to imagine both are close. Any word on who is in play at either school?
On the UVa regular message board it was noted that Harvard began interviews this week.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:17 am
jerzyjoe81 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 pm Any word from SB or Harvard. Recruiting events are off and running. Have to imagine both are close. Any word on who is in play at either school?
On the UVa regular message board it was noted that Harvard began interviews this week.
The 1st Press article, i witnessed, announcing Harvard’s National search for a new head coach was the 1st of May so the search predates that date. The season is over and It takes that long to line up interviews almost 2 months later? They may still hit a home run but i will be surprised if we don’t eventually discover they had trouble attracting their top choice(s)
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

thetruth wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 pm I must say that if two guys named Muleski and Oldjay aren’t drinking buddies then something isn’t right in the world.
Oldjay sounds right for JHU!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... vard/54913
Update on Harvard's Search
Harvard is getting closer to naming the program's next head coach, though the exact timeline is dynamic and unclear.

A number of candidates were brought to Cambridge for full-day interviews between Tuesday and Thursday, with a handful more on campus the previous week.

According to sources close to the situation, Harvard has its top two preferences, planning on bringing at least one candidate back to campus this week. The school's hope is to make the offer and finalize everything in person.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Harvard is getting closer to naming the program's next head coach, though the exact timeline is dynamic and unclear.

A number of candidates were brought to Cambridge for full-day interviews between Tuesday and Thursday, with a handful more on campus the previous week.

According to sources close to the situation, Harvard has its top two preferences, planning on bringing at least one candidate back to campus this week. The school's hope is to make the offer and finalize everything in person.
Lots of grey here.....
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

sguy9 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Lots of grey here.....
Attention Cambridge field agents: Suspect expected to visit campus any day now. Eyes and ears open. Beware funny hats, sunglasses, and fake moustaches. All reports to HQ ASAP!
Last edited by GBMan on Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

GBMan wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:31 pm
sguy9 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Lots of grey here.....
From article: "According to sources close to the situation, Harvard has its top two preferences, planning on bringing at least one candidate back to campus this week. The school's hope is to make the offer and finalize everything in person." Attention Cambridge field agents: Suspect expected to visit campus any day now. Eyes and ears open. Beware funny hats, sunglasses, and fake moustaches. All reports to HQ ASAP!
College Crosse mentioned the names a few weeks ago (https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/6/11 ... pdates-lax). It's Jon Thompson, Kevin Cassese, and Ryan Polley as the head coaches, and Gerry Byrne and Rick Sowell as the assistants. Along with Rick Sowell. I don't know why names had to be hidden.
118:24 #HHH
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

Does the length of time Harvard is taking to make an announcement tell us anything? Maybe a hire that is more complicated than would be typical, like a coach whose wife has to relocate her medical practice?
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Seen that movie before. Perhaps the sequel will have a different ending...
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

BU Twitter
We're thrilled to announced that Ryan Polley has agreed to a multi-year contract extension and will continue to lead our program!
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:59 pm Does the length of time Harvard is taking to make an announcement tell us anything? Maybe a hire that is more complicated than would be typical, like a coach whose wife has to relocate her medical practice?
AreaLax wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:53 am BU Twitter
We're thrilled to announced that Ryan Polley has agreed to a multi-year contract extension and will continue to lead our program!
Or maybe one who had to see how his current employer would respond?
Does the same go for Cassese? Or others?
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Chips O'Toole

Post by Chips O'Toole »

laxpere wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm
Chips O'Toole wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:59 pm Does the length of time Harvard is taking to make an announcement tell us anything? Maybe a hire that is more complicated than would be typical, like a coach whose wife has to relocate her medical practice?
Yep. He must have gotten an offer from Harvard. Otherwise, I can't see BU doing another extension now when they just gave him one (a "long term" extension) 18 months ago. They must have had a gun to their head. Could make it interesting with their other candidates, who may have moved on by now, or in any event will realize they were not the top choice.
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm
laxpere wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm
Yep. He must have gotten an offer from Harvard. Otherwise, I can't see BU doing another extension now when they just gave him one (a "long term" extension) 18 months ago. They must have had a gun to their head. Could make it interesting with their other candidates, who may have moved on by now, or in any event will realize they were not the top choice.
I'd like to hear from some of the folks on this board who have experience on search committees. My assumption was that Harvard, being Harvard and all, knew what they doing, would set their sights on somebody, and then haul him in. Maybe in the big picture the men's lacrosse coach isn't such a big deal to Harvard University as a whole, or maybe the search committee has messed things up by not getting their man and ticking off everyone else. I guess we'll find out when this is over.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

GBMan, I suspect that Harvard being Harvard has to identify the candidate and then hold sensitivity meetings with numerous interest groups to make sure that none are offended by the decision. All that input takes time.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”