Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

You never like to see kids leave but Chase’s decision doesn’t upset me nearly as much as you might think. The group coming in creates a problem moving Chase down to attack, which I think he might want. The team is loaded and Poitras imo is the choice to fill the one open slot there.

I’d feel much differently if this was Lindley or Olmsted.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thetruth wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm Chase Scanlan has informed the Loyola staff that he is going to enter the transfer portal according to Ty Xanders.
WTFFFFFFFFF
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

This still hurts midfield/attack production. Losing 58 points off goals and assists really stings
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Wow! I knew the board would be lighting up over this - quite unexpected IMO. Chase is a fine young man with a very nice family. Not sure why he entered the Portal. Can only presume he wants to be closer to home which I totally get. Maybe Syracuse gets lucky - who knows? Albany - maybe. If he does leave it is a big loss for the Hounds. But the incoming class has some good Middies coming in, although I don't know that they will have an immediate impact like Chase had. I can only hope.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I think I would have preferred losing Lindley. He was very dependent on PS.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Hate to see anyone transfer out, especially after the year Chase had. Maybe Albany winds up on the right side of a transfer.

I agree with your comments on Lindley. Without Spencer or someone like Pat, I don't see him having anywhere near the production he has had in the past.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Time for the coaches to sharpen the pencils. Spencer, Duffy, and Stover graduate and now possibly Scanlan moving on. Big impact players leave a vacuum that needs filled.

Hope MVA stays coaching, he can surely find a way to get the most out each player.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Tough news. Chase is a fine kid. On and off the field. I know he is very close with his family so a move closer home makes sense. Thanks for a fine season. Good luck to him in the future.
He will be missed. More opportunity for the pups. Hounds need to ride Savio and the defense.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:39 am Tough news. Chase is a fine kid. On and off the field. I know he is very close with his family so a move closer home makes sense. Thanks for a fine season. Good luck to him in the future.
He will be missed. More opportunity for the pups. Hounds need to ride Savio and the defense.
Those were my thoughts too ThatSmell. Fine young man, talented lax player, really helped the Hounds last season. Gonna be missed but Coach Marc will fill in the hole somehow, someway. Going to be a transition year and exciting to see how they manage it. Word on the street is that Savio will be getting some help. Hounds leaned on him a lot last season and lucky he didn't get banged up like Woodall from Towson did late in the season. Results would have been vastly different IMO. Hounds will be fine...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I am more positive about next year for Loyola than I was last year. I know it sounds crazy, with Spencer, Stover, and now Scanlan gone, but next year is the year where we have meaningful improvement where we needed it most this past year. Our defense will be lights out. Our midfield will be improved. Our FOGO will be meaningfully improved. Olmstead and Lindley will create havoc with opposing defenses, and they will get the ball on offense way more next year than we did this year.

Scanlan moving on is not the surprise that we might think...let me rephrase that: I do not think that Coach T was surprised by this move (btw, I'd bet on 'Cuse picking him up, not Albany, but I have no inside info on this matter, pure speculation). I'd note that in some weird way, the Hounds' losing Chase is probably league justice for BU losing Gray. In every possible way, I hope Chase has a great career wherever he decides to play. No one here can doubt that that kid exerted every time on the field.

I sound like a broken clock, but you guys will just love Pacheco...wait and see.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:15 am I am more positive about next year for Loyola than I was last year. I know it sounds crazy, with Spencer, Stover, and now Scanlan gone, but next year is the year where we have meaningful improvement where we needed it most this past year. Our defense will be lights out. Our midfield will be improved. Our FOGO will be meaningfully improved. Olmstead and Lindley will create havoc with opposing defenses, and they will get the ball on offense way more next year than we did this year.

Scanlan moving on is not the surprise that we might think...let me rephrase that: I do not think that Coach T was surprised by this move (btw, I'd bet on 'Cuse picking him up, not Albany, but I have no inside info on this matter, pure speculation). I'd note that in some weird way, the Hounds' losing Chase is probably league justice for BU losing Gray. In every possible way, I hope Chase has a great career wherever he decides to play. No one here can doubt that that kid exerted every time on the field.

I sound like a broken clock, but you guys will just love Pacheco...wait and see.
I'll always be a supporter of other Loyola fans PB, but there are MANY MANY people who can come to this thread and view this as one of the hottest/boldest takes for the 2020 season given the losses we have. Lost a Tewey, lost a 1st team AA goalie, a 2nd team AA midfielder, a reliable scorer in Duffy. This has the feeling of Brown 2016 to 2017 again with their losses. or Albany 2018 to 2019. Huge Huge losses.
Heck the UVA fans even came here with your assessment of Loyola's defense and your prediction that Loyola will win the first game against the defending champs.

Losing Scanlan, Stover, Spencer, and Duffy makes the gap in the PL the tightest it probably has ever been since loyola joined the conference.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Loyola does return a lot on a D that gave up a ton of goals to good offensive teams. Double digits goals against, 8 times last year and many of those were well into double digits. They should get better with experience but desperately NEED to be better. The O is currently with out a one on one dodging threat. It is VERY difficult to score 6 on 6 without drawing the first slide. Next years Hounds will struggle mightily to win the PL. They could win it, but that would be a great outcome given the losses.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Voyuer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:41 am Loyola does return a lot on a D that gave up a ton of goals to good offensive teams. Double digits goals against, 8 times last year and many of those were well into double digits. They should get better with experience but desperately NEED to be better. The O is currently with out a one on one dodging threat. It is VERY difficult to score 6 on 6 without drawing the first slide. Next years Hounds will struggle mightily to win the PL. They could win it, but that would be a great outcome given the losses.

I would disagree with you on the lack of a 1-on-1 dodging threat. I think you saw with Olmstead last year (*toward the end) that the kid put his foot on the gas, ESPECIALLY in games where Pat was shut down. The Georgetown game is the game that really stands out to me. Both Olmstead and Lindley took over and they both shook free of a fairly decent defense. I would bet that Toomey saw then that he had two horses for next year that are likely to be overlooked so far as what you mention: 'lack of a 1-on-1 dodging threat'. If you put Poitras or Griffin in with them, that is as good an attack as you will have in D1 next year.

Remember on defense, Wyers was a freshman this year. He was our top defender. And everyone else on D is coming back. Savio's FO #'s got better as the year progressed...and now he has legitimate help coming in.

The one and only worry I would have as coach is in goal. Either Shafer or Teitelbaum will need to perform. And both are unknowns. That to me is the question mark here.

The Hounds should win the PL again. We lucked out a little here because of Gray leaving BU. Bucknell to me is the best next team in the league next year.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:54 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:25 pm He's not going to win anymore games for you. He will garner dozens of stories and mentions for your program on national media and outlets and areas where your program might not otherwise get exposure which will help with recruiting and interest.
^THIS. I looked at Northwestern's schedule for the past two years... Every game is either on BTN or ESPN. Huge national media coverage for sports. NW is also lacking a ton in their backcourt and the team is dominated by Freshman and Sophomores. Pat will start immediately for the team as their PG and will provide senior leadership.

Could very well be the next Chris Hogan will all the mention that he will garner when the announcers touch upon his story during games.
2/3 of sports media either went to northwestern (his new school) or syracuse-a lacrosse area. Northwestern went 3-15 in conference or something and I think Julia Louis Dreyfuss's son-a walk on there-graduated so obviously they won't be focused on the team. It won't change your program but it'll put it on the radar in Whitefish Bay, West Bloomfied, Shaker Heights, or Caramel.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:21 pm Wow! I knew the board would be lighting up over this - quite unexpected IMO. Chase is a fine young man with a very nice family. Not sure why he entered the Portal. Can only presume he wants to be closer to home which I totally get. Maybe Syracuse gets lucky - who knows? Albany - maybe. If he does leave it is a big loss for the Hounds. But the incoming class has some good Middies coming in, although I don't know that they will have an immediate impact like Chase had. I can only hope.
if you check twitter, you can find some interesting threads, that's all i have to say..

if what i read is true, kinda sheds some light on the transfer
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Hounds01

Post by Hounds01 »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 pm
NovaHound wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:21 pm Wow! I knew the board would be lighting up over this - quite unexpected IMO. Chase is a fine young man with a very nice family. Not sure why he entered the Portal. Can only presume he wants to be closer to home which I totally get. Maybe Syracuse gets lucky - who knows? Albany - maybe. If he does leave it is a big loss for the Hounds. But the incoming class has some good Middies coming in, although I don't know that they will have an immediate impact like Chase had. I can only hope.
if you check twitter, you can find some interesting threads, that's all i have to say..

The excuse of blue collar is weak. He went to IMG, enough said. If you want to talk about blue collar work ethic, then Loyola has that. Anyone that has played for coach Toomey knows this. Is there another reason for him leaving, could it be academics? The Loyola locker room is an excuse
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

As I said, this did not come as a surprise to Coach T nor will it have the deleterious effect on team chemistry or production that some here speculate. 'nuff said.

I need to start making markets on lax games and team winning %'s. Loyola is wayyyyyyyyyy under-bought right now for 2020. You shall see, my friends....
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Hounds01 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:58 am
houndace1 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 pm

The excuse of blue collar is weak. He went to IMG, enough said. If you want to talk about blue collar work ethic, then Loyola has that. Anyone that has played for coach Toomey knows this. Is there another reason for him leaving, could it be academics? The Loyola locker room is an excuse
Agreed. Not a good look for the young man....talk about burning a bridge.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. It would've probably have been better if he was more opaque about why he was leaving but he wasn't and... His blue-collar language is a little cryptic and, as a consequence, seemingly inaccurate and... Still interesting what this young man experienced and the decision he made as a consequence.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Homer

Post by Homer »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:09 am Agreed. It would've probably have been better if he was more opaque about why he was leaving but he wasn't and... His blue-collar language is a little cryptic and, as a consequence, seemingly inaccurate and... Still interesting what this young man experienced and the decision he made as a consequence.
Yes. Although, as mentioned by wgdsr on another thread, that sort of excessive candor sometimes goes with the territory when you're talking about a young kid who maybe hasn't figured out yet what to filter and what not.

I do find it a little amusing how people seem to get so hung up on the lacrosse meaning of "blue collar" as a kind of metaphor for showing toughness and working hard ("Yale, that's a real blue-collar, lunch-pail program") that they find it cryptic and confusing when somebody uses it to refer to actual social backgrounds and tastes. Frankly I would be rather surprised if the Loyola lacrosse locker room exudes a particularly working-class vibe. As wgdsr also pointed out, it's pretty hard today to find many programs that do.

I don't know much about what the culture is like at IMG, but I'm also not sure how his having gone there matters. If his thinking is that he's been to rich-kid schools before, knows about how that goes, and has decided that's not the kind of environment he wants to be in, fine and good luck to him. Again, I wouldn't have put all that out in public, but sometimes with guys that age that's what you get.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”