Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Coaching Carousel Post-2019 Season

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:52 pm
TLD:I was going to add that I wasn't comparing Coach Sowell to Amplo. I like Coach Sowell and it is hard to follow a guy like Meade. Amplo can have the same level of success and the vitriol won't be as bad. Rick Sowell didn't forget how to coach when he went to Navy. Never their "guy".
Sowell was guilty of (1) not being Richie and (2) being viewed by a bunch of "old goats" as Gladchuk's butt boy. Sowell was and is an excellent coach and a damn classy man.
The negative energy around the program from the “fans” isn’t / wasn’t helpful. It turns away kids. The lacrosse circle is small. Everyone hears things....it makes it easy for kids to move elsewhere. Magically it will stop just as the complaints about the coach stops from the “ fans” and guys “close to the program”...Short of being Andy Shay, Ricky was going to have a tough time there.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Amen TLD.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I know that College Crosse had made their prediction, but I would think that Sowell would be a good choice for Harvard.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

The only coach bashing that was close to Sowell’s treatment by Navy fans, was the Kevin Warne bludgeoning that suddenly disappeared last year when Georgetown won the BE. Common denominator was both Warne and Sowell replaced legends in Urick and Meade.

That’s never as easy task. Some fans never want to let go...which is sad.
Last edited by Henpecked on Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm Navy falling behind Army? Army MISSED the PLT in 2018 and Navy won 4 consecutive Star games until this year! I'm not saying RS was John Wooden, but enough of the spin!!
...& twice lost to Army the next game, decisively, in the PLT, at home.

That's some real cherry picking. After missing the PLT for the first time in 2018, Army came back in 2019 to win the PLT & AQ.
https://goarmywestpoint.com/coaches.asp ... &path=mlax

Alberici led Army to its first-ever Patriot League tournament title in 2010, defeating Navy, 11-8, in the championship contest.

Alberici and the Black Knights continued their success in league play in 2017 with another visit to the Patriot League title game. Army was the only team in league history {@ 2017} to make all 13 Patriot League Tournament semifinal rounds.{now 14 of 15}

The Black Knights had their best season under Alberici with a 12-4 record overall in 2017 and finished 14th in the national rankings.
...until finishing 13-5 & 13th nationally this season.
Since losing the PLT to Army in 2010, Navy has fallen behind, significantly.
Navy should put Marist, Binghamton and NJIT on the schedule.
What's that got to do with the level of success in the PL ?
Sigh

Post by Sigh »

sguy9 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:42 pm
Fairfield put out a statement that HC position is still open. Sources yesterday were saying Yale’s DC had the job.
Nothing out of Fairfield since this statement? Premature leak, second thoughts, call from someone else? Anyone have any info?
Yes, FU can we please get some clarity please? Plum spot, great school, new facilities and fully funded. ??
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm Navy falling behind Army? Army MISSED the PLT in 2018 and Navy won 4 consecutive Star games until this year! I'm not saying RS was John Wooden, but enough of the spin!!

That's some real cherry picking. After missing the PLT for the first time in 2018, Army came back in 2019 to win the PLT & AQ.

Alberici led Army to its first-ever Patriot League tournament title in 2010, defeating Navy, 11-8, in the championship contest.

Alberici and the Black Knights continued their success in league play in 2017 with another visit to the Patriot League title game. Army was the only team in league history {@ 2017} to make all 13 Patriot League Tournament semifinal rounds.{now 14 of 15}

The Black Knights had their best season under Alberici with a 12-4 record overall in 2017 and finished 14th in the national rankings.
Army was 13-5 in the Patriot League? What was Navy’s conference record versus Army’s over the past 5 years?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:03 pm
TLD:I was going to add that I wasn't comparing Coach Sowell to Amplo. I like Coach Sowell and it is hard to follow a guy like Meade. Amplo can have the same level of success and the vitriol won't be as bad. Rick Sowell didn't forget how to coach when he went to Navy. Never their "guy".
Sowell was guilty of (1) not being Richie and (2) being viewed by a bunch of "old goats" as Gladchuk's butt boy. Sowell was and is an excellent coach and a damn classy man.
The negative energy around the program from the “fans” isn’t / wasn’t helpful. It turns away kids. The lacrosse circle is small. Everyone hears things....it makes it easy for kids to move elsewhere. Magically it will stop just as the complaints about the coach stops from the “ fans” and guys “close to the program”...Short of being Andy Shay, Ricky was going to have a tough time there.
Tell that to the NAPster freshmen recruits he cut at the start of his first fall ball, & their family, friends & teammates.
It was a hot topic in the small lacrosse circle on Li.
Wanna create negative energy & poison the recruiting well, that's a good way to start.
After 8 years, you need a new excuse. The record speaks for itself.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:12 pm
Tell that to the NAPster freshmen recruits he cut at the start of his first fall ball, & their family, friends & teammates.
Wanna create negative energy & poison the recruiting well, that's a good way to start.
He cut good players? When Amplo does it, it will be because Sowell brought in bad players. Anyway....Amplo is a “good guy”. I wish him luck.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:07 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Army was 13-5 in the Patriot League? What was Navy’s conference record versus Army’s over the past 5 years?
4-6 vs Army during Sowell's 8 year tenure.
4-4 in regular season play. 0-2 in PL tourney play.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:15 pm
He cut good players? When Amplo does it, it will be because Sowell brought in bad players. Anyway....Amplo is a “good guy”. I wish him luck.
The 2011 fall ball cuts who left, played at other D-I schools, one significantly.
Most stayed at USNA & won a string of NCLL championships.

I hope Amplo at least gives the freshmen recruits who endured Plebe Summer a fair look, especially those who invested a year st NAPS.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:28 pm
The 2011 fall ball cuts who left, played at other D-I schools, one significantly.

I hope Amplo at least gives the freshmen recruits who endured Plebe Summer a fair look, especially those who invested a year st NAPS.
Huh, Lars cut a bunch of kids when he landed in Charlottesville....a chip off the old block..., Sowell didn’t give them a fair chance. Who does he think he is.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Well, there it is! Sorry your son was cut. :cry:
Navy was 4-6 against Army...yeah, Army really moves ahead? Army hasn’t won an NCAA game since the fluke win in the Carrier Dome
In 2011. Navy won one, and almost 2, in 2016.
Yes, Navy hasn’t played well in the PLT, no disputing that, but Army missed the PLT just last year! And, MU has been trending lower, just saying...let’s at least be objective!!
Typical Lax Dad

oldjayfan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:10 am Well, there it is! Sorry your son was cut. :cry:
Navy was 4-6 against Army...yeah, Army really moves ahead? Army hasn’t won an NCAA game since the fluke win in the Carrier Dome
In 2011. Navy won one, and almost 2, in 2016.
Yes, Navy hasn’t played well in the PLT, no disputing that, but Army missed the PLT just last year! And, MU has been trending lower, just saying...let’s at least be objective!!
It’s ok to say “ we didn’t like the guy”. “not the type of guy to lead our guys”..... Amplo will have an easier time even if the record is marginally different. Just how it is.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Huh, Lars cut a bunch of kids when he landed in Charlottesville....a chip off the old block..., Sowell didn’t give them a fair chance. Who does he think he is.
I can understand some bitterness if a son or other close relative was cut, but Starsia was fired for lack of performance. Lars or whichever coach better do whatever he thought needed to be done to turn it around. Bottom line, If you can’t make a +/- 44 man roster after tryouts at Virginia or the upper levels of D1 as when Lars arrived......... you probably aren’t a D 1 caliber player. Competition is brutal but necessary.
Typical Lax Dad

blue angels wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:11 am

I can understand some bitterness if a son or other close relative was cut, but Starsia was fired for lack of performance. Lars or whichever coach better do whatever he thought needed to be done to turn it around. Bottom line, If you can’t make a +/- 44 man roster after tryouts at Virginia or the upper levels of D1 as when Lars arrived......... you probably aren’t a D 1 caliber player. Competition is brutal but necessary.
Yep. But Sowell cut good players.....and didn’t behave the way “fans” expected him to behave.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Yep. But Sowell cut good players.....and didn’t behave the way “fans” expected him to behave.
oldjayfan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:10 am Well, there it is! Sorry your son was cut. :cry:
Not my kid. Never met him or his family. Watched his older brother contribute significantly to some great Navy teams. Saw him playing for NAPS & was anxious to see him contribute at Navy, ...as he ended up doing at another D1 school , which ironically fared better than Navy.

You can't fairly judge a player recruited to USNA, who was one of the best, most versatile players at NAPS, in a 2 day combine workout at the end of a grueling plebe summer.

A year at NAPS & a USNA appointment -- wasted. One less officer for the USN/USMC. One less member of the Navy Lax brotherhood, recruiting & teaching lax around the country. Both he & his brother are now members of successful D1 & D2 coaching staffs.

Coach Sowell inherited one of the largest, most supportive alumni fan bases in the sport.
It was there for him to embrace & nurture,(as Tillman did at MD, in a similar sensitive situation), ...or not.
Their ire (initially) was focused on the AD, not the new HC, who played no part in the departure of his predecessor.

Hopefully, Coach Amplo will embrace the Brotherhood, bring the lax alums back into the fold, & revive FONL.
Last edited by old salt on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Not my kid. Never met him or his family. Watched his older brother contribute significantly to some great Navy teams. Saw him playing for NAPS & was anxious to see him contribute at Navy, ...as he ended up doing at another D1 school , which ironically fared better than Navy.

You can't fairly judge a player recruited to USNA, who was one of the best, most versatile players at NAPS, in a 2 day combine workout at the end of a grueling plebe summer.

A year at NAPS & a USNA appointment -- wasted. One less officer for the USN/USMC. One less member of the Navy Lax brotherhood, recruiting & teaching lax around the country. Both he & his brother are now members of successful D1 & D2 coaching staffs.

Coach Sowell inherited one of the largest, most supportive alumni fan bases in the sport.
It was there for him to embrace & nurture,(as Tillman did at MD, in a similar sensitive situation), ...or not.
Their ire (initially) was focused on the AD, not the new HC, who played no part in the departure of his predecessor.

Hopefully, Coach Amplo will revive the Brotherhood, bring the lax alums back into the fold, & inspire the return of FONL.
You mean Sowell didn’t kiss enough * ss....did
He kick those future leaders out of the academy or did they quit?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Leaders at USNA (& throughout the military) are graded on retention.

The W-L record, attendance figures & alumni donations speak for themselves.

You think this AD likes to have to take an 8 year Mulligan ?
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:06 pm The W-L record, attendance figures & alumni donations speak for themselves.

You think this AD likes to have to take an 8 year Mulligan ?
I can’t speak for the AD. Sounds like Ricky didn’t kiss enough *ss and forced kids to leave the academy according to your post....and you were mad at Ricky so you stopped writing checks...along with the other “fans”... you showed him. Have the AD post here....
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”