Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: Coaching Carousel Post-2019 Season

Post by River Donkey »

Couldn’t agree more with Gorilla and wahoomurph. All you clowns complaining have no clue what you got in Amplo. Consider yourselves lucky.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 am
Gorilla Fan: And as for his pipeline? Coach is a Long Island guy. From the Danowski tree, and coached on the island.Y’all are brutal... Think Navy made a great hire.
When Meade was in charge, there were usually a dozen or more L.I.ers on the roster. This year AWP had 13 island dwellers---including their high scorer--- on the team; Navy had 6. And no Chaminade goalies!

Eager to see how soon Amplo can get that pipeline up and running.
I suppose RW had no LI "pipeline"...yeah, we have no clue about Amplo, 20-24 since 2016 gives me a pretty good clue ;) especially since Sowell was so awful yet had a better record over the last 3 years?? :roll:
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Fairfield put out a statement that HC position is still open. Sources yesterday were saying Yale’s DC had the job.
Nothing out of Fairfield since this statement? Premature leak, second thoughts, call from someone else? Anyone have any info?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Oldjay, you are comparing an established program with a brand new program started from scratch in Wisconsin of all places. Put him at Navy and sky is the limit.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

There are a lot more ways to measure a coach than wins and losses. Compare exit interviews with players under RS vs. Amplo, I think that would tell you all you need to know.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ctbagataway wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pm There are a lot more ways to measure a coach than wins and losses. Compare exit interviews with players under RS vs. Amplo, I think that would tell you all you need to know.
Excellent point.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Suskypride wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm Oldjay, you are comparing an established program with a brand new program started from scratch in Wisconsin of all places. Put him at Navy and sky is the limit.
Check out what RS did at Dartmouth & SBU(put Amplo in one of those 2) -- and what those programs have accomplished since he left... I hope the sky is the limit for Amplo at Navy; however, after his initial successes at MU, he is 20-24 the last 3 years--"you are what your record says you are"
Last edited by oldjayfan on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:31 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:23 pm There are a lot more ways to measure a coach than wins and losses. Compare exit interviews with players under RS vs. Amplo, I think that would tell you all you need to know.
Excellent point.
I'm not interested in a popularity contest...and, didn't MU just have some disciplinary issues this year, so I suppose I would like to hear those exit interviews.
old salt

Post by old salt »

oldjayfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:47 am
old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 am
FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:22 pm 20-24 over last 3 years and ZERO NCAA wins...that "fluke bubble team" beat Yale and came within a goal of beating Brown to go to the FF.
Compare that +1
Of course, in 2016 beating Yale didn't mean nearly as much as it would in 2018 onward, while Brown was without Dylan Molloy that game. Still, making it to the NCAA quarters is indeed an accomplishment.
...eeking out that final at-large bid over Rutgers in 2016, after blowing the #1 seed in the PLT to Army, for the 2nd straight year,
just delayed the inevitable for 3 more years.

It provided a brief glimmer of what once was, & might be again.
All true, old salt, but the new coach has 0 NCAA wins, and 3 straight disappointing years...FWIW I guess change is good?

Also, Navy beat JHU and held them to only 3 goals(or something like that); Navy took down SU in the Carrier Dome last year. Navy did beat Loyola during RS's tenure...Granted, not enough consistency over the 8 years but that may be the reality going forward. Army had a great year in 2019 and they missed the PLT in 2018; Lehigh has been up and now they seem to be edging lower. Ditto Colgate..BU is on the rise and now Gray is leaving. Holy Cross is making strides. Bucknell had a run, then slipped and now appears to be improving. Outside of Loyola, it just seems really difficult for PL teams to sustain the high road. Marquette has seen a similar rise that has now receded. As much as the D1 landscape changes, it stays the same...
Agree with the changing lax landscape & the improvement of the PL, but no HC, in any sport at Navy, is going to survive with that extended conf tourney record. Also -- falling behind Army, as a MLax program, is unprecedented at Navy & will not be tolerated for a long run.

Earning the #1 seed in the PLT (2 years in a row), then losing the first round game decisively to an Army team they'd just beaten in the previous game, combined the frustration in those two critical criteria.

Then being knocked out of the PLT twice by HC. The first time in a PLT first rd home game, then being denied the #6 seed this year due to a regular season loss to HC, just intensified the frustration & emphasized how far Navy had fallen in PL post season performance.

That great 2016 NCAA run came after an early PLT exit, when it appeared another season was ending early, after another early PLT exit.
The pressure was off & the road ahead featured 2 banged up Ivy opponents (as the 2004 ncaa run had).
It heightened the subsequent frustration by reminding the Navy faithful how much fun the late season & post season had been before 2011.
Last edited by old salt on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

oldjayfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:16 pm
Excellent point.
I'm not interested in a popularity contest...and, didn't MU just have some disciplinary issues this year, so I suppose I would like to hear those exit interviews.
I was going to add that I wasn't comparing Coach Sowell to Amplo. I like Coach Sowell and it is hard to follow a guy like Meade. Amplo can have the same level of success and the vitriol won't be as bad. Rick Sowell didn't forget how to coach when he went to Navy. Never their "guy".
old salt

Post by old salt »

If Amplo has the same level of success at Navy as Sowell did, he won't last any longer, if as long.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Excellent point.
OJF--Maybe you should tell those kids to get off your lawn. Btw, I'm entirely neutral here, no connections to either coach or the program. I do know kids who have played for both coaches, though. And one group have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for their coach, and the other, well, less so. Rightly, popularity isn't the only factor. But in the scheme of college lacrosse, there are very few (maybe 5) coaches who are both tremendous X's and O's guys who are also tremendous leaders, where the players leave their program better men. Then there are the coaches who might be good at one or the other, and a short list of coaches who are bad at both. If my son couldn't play for one of the unique handful, I would far prefer that he play for a coach who earns the respect of the players, teaches them to be good teammates and has a relationship with the players that goes deeper than wins and losses. I'd take that over a slightly better W/L record any day.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

I know, I know, I disagree so now its name-calling time... Just wish RS would have had some support when he was hired 8 years ago. And, his coaching resume' is/was superior to Amplo's. Let's not forget that RS's Dartmouth team beat Tierney's Princeton team, in Princeton...so before we all genuflect with MU beating Denver...

I didn't send my sons off to play college lacrosse for a coach who would make them better men(not even sure what in the heck that means)...
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

AMEN!👌
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:34 pm
AMEN!👌You do know you're questioning a JHU person?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm
Excellent point.
I was going to add that I wasn't comparing Coach Sowell to Amplo. I like Coach Sowell and it is hard to follow a guy like Meade. Amplo can have the same level of success and the vitriol won't be as bad. Rick Sowell didn't forget how to coach when he went to Navy. Never their "guy".
Typical Lax Dad-- your comment is the best thing I've read on this forum. Nailed it. It has been said over and over that RS was the 4th choice when he was hired...well so was Amplo(Tillman, Toomey, Chemotti were ahead of him--and those are the 3 known ones)...really hope he is given the support RS never received.

Navy falling behind Army? Army MISSED the PLT in 2018 and Navy won 4 consecutive Star games until this year! I'm not saying RS was John Wooden, but enough of the spin!!
old salt

Post by old salt »

oldjayfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm Navy falling behind Army? Army MISSED the PLT in 2018 and Navy won 4 consecutive Star games until this year! I'm not saying RS was John Wooden, but enough of the spin!!
...& twice lost to Army the next game, decisively, in the PLT, at home.

That's some real cherry picking. After missing the PLT for the first time in 2018, Army came back in 2019 to win the PLT & AQ.
https://goarmywestpoint.com/coaches.asp ... &path=mlax

Alberici led Army to its first-ever Patriot League tournament title in 2010, defeating Navy, 11-8, in the championship contest.

Alberici and the Black Knights continued their success in league play in 2017 with another visit to the Patriot League title game. Army was the only team in league history {@ 2017} to make all 13 Patriot League Tournament semifinal rounds.{now 14 of 15}

The Black Knights had their best season under Alberici with a 12-4 record overall in 2017 and finished 14th in the national rankings.
...until finishing 13-5 & 13th nationally this season.
Since losing the PLT to Army in 2010, Navy has fallen behind, significantly.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:35 pm Navy falling behind Army? Army MISSED the PLT in 2018 and Navy won 4 consecutive Star games until this year! I'm not saying RS was John Wooden, but enough of the spin!!
...& twice lost to Army the next game, decisively, in the PLT, at home.

That's some real cherry picking. After missing the PLT for the first time in 2018, Army came back in 2019 to win the PLT & AQ.
https://goarmywestpoint.com/coaches.asp ... &path=mlax

Alberici led Army to its first-ever Patriot League tournament title in 2010, defeating Navy, 11-8, in the championship contest.

Alberici and the Black Knights continued their success in league play in 2017 with another visit to the Patriot League title game. Army was the only team in league history {@ 2017} to make all 13 Patriot League Tournament semifinal rounds.{now 14 of 15}

The Black Knights had their best season under Alberici with a 12-4 record overall in 2017 and finished 14th in the national rankings.
...until finishing 13-5 & 13th nationally this season.
Since losing the PLT to Army in 2010, Navy has fallen behind, significantly.
Navy should put Marist, Binghamton and NJIT on the schedule.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm
Excellent point.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

TLD:I was going to add that I wasn't comparing Coach Sowell to Amplo. I like Coach Sowell and it is hard to follow a guy like Meade. Amplo can have the same level of success and the vitriol won't be as bad. Rick Sowell didn't forget how to coach when he went to Navy. Never their "guy".
Sowell was guilty of (1) not being Richie and (2) being viewed by a bunch of "old goats" as Gladchuk's butt boy. Sowell was and is an excellent coach and a damn classy man.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”