Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LandM

Re: Navy 2020

Post by LandM »

Yes - Damn Daniel :D - just so you know I kept it safe in the glove box on the 4 day drive back and have safely placed it on my office desk. Let me know where I need to drive it to :oops: I am on Canandaigua Lake so hopefully your on one of the 12 Finger Lakes :mrgreen: Gas mileage plus my boss might suspect something :o

Good luck unless they play Air Force :evil: I wish Wellner and Rob best wishes - two great guys
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Yes, best to RW and RC, quality guys, like RS, and all will do well. I will be at Seneca Lake in July!!
LandM

Post by LandM »

Let me know when - there are a few good beer, shot and wings places around Penn Yan.....hopefully a horse and buggy do not hit me :lol: along the way. It is on me, plus the crisp, touched only by my hands $1. PSU football starts in August so that limits the availability during that time ;)
laxpere

Re: Navy 2019

Post by laxpere »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:06 pm Yes I think this merits congratulations to the USNA, NAAA and the search team. Given Joe Amplo's record, character, work ethic, the other vacancies also looking for a head coach (and most likely also chasing him) and challenges facing the program, this is a win in my book.
From what I hear, I believe he will have a well thought out contract representing the issues on both sides. I do not know however how the other candidates reacted to the offer or even the order of approaching the candidates. That is now all water under the bridge.
Good luck and BEAT ARMY!!
Do you care to expand on a "well thought out contract"? Also "issues on both sides"?
Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:57 am Side note two: As mentioned at another blog site (I got too much time on my hands) three of the name brand candidates Navy was looking at declined to be interviewed. A couple of ways to look at this: (A) good job to search team for at least aiming high, (B) Be serious, navy has not been an A1 location for decades even back to the 70's (C) wow, not even an interview....has Navy fallen that far? (D) The package being offered only is attractive to a certain level of coach. (E) All of the above.
Which way do you look at it? Consensus seems to point to C.

Your comments on the Navy search are interesting and it seems like you might have been closer than most to the process. There are intangibles that Amplo brings to the table, but others might have similar ones.
Why don't you think that Chemotti would have fit given his strong track record? Did you interact with him in a recruiting environment?
Was Jon Birsner of VMI contacted? Do you think that he would have fit? I think that you said that it will be Brisner eventually on another thread.
What about JL Reppert since he checked so many boxes?

A fresh start is welcome, but it's like a bit like ground hound day even with a new head coach. I am bracing for the umpteenth post with RS's record and coaching mistakes over the past couple of years.

Time will tell whether it is a win or not, but water under the bridge indeed and seems like a good time to move onward and upward.

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Last edited by laxpere on Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
GSP

Post by GSP »

A word about Joe Amplo.
My nephew played for Coach Amplo for four years at Marquette. I cannot imagine a better man to whom a parent could entrust the education of their son. He is the REAL DEAL. There have been a number of occasions when, after witnessing one of his "private acts" that I was immediately reminded of the wisdom that the true measure of a man is how he acts when no one is watching. He treats the lowest player on the depth chart the same way that he treats the best player on the team. I actually found myself embarrassed by the consistent practice of his thoughtfulness and small kindnesses towards his players and their families. How could someone be that selfless and dedicated? Whoever replaces him at Marquette will put themselves in an impossibly big pair of shoes.

I can say with absolute certainty that bringing Joe Amplo and his wife and family to the US Naval Academy will be remembered as a banner day in Midshipmen lacrosse.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

GSP wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:04 pm A word about Joe Amplo.
My nephew played for Coach Amplo for four years at Marquette. I cannot imagine a better man to whom a parent could entrust the education of their son. He is the REAL DEAL. There have been a number of occasions when, after witnessing one of his "private acts" that I was immediately reminded of the wisdom that the true measure of a man is how he acts when no one is watching. He treats the lowest player on the depth chart the same way that he treats the best player on the team. I actually found myself embarrassed by the consistent practice of his thoughtfulness and small kindnesses towards his players and their families. How could someone be that selfless and dedicated? Whoever replaces him at Marquette will put themselves in an impossibly big pair of shoes.

I can say with absolute certainty that bringing Joe Amplo and his wife and family to the US Naval Academy will be remembered as a banner day in Midshipmen lacrosse.
High praise indeed, and IMHO, likely to be quite encouraging for the Mids and their families...especially the selfless part as a most selfless team deserves a most selfless coach leading them.

GO MIDS!..."Amp it up with Coach Amplo!"
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Definitely a big splash hire! Good luck Mids!
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

LandM wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:39 am Let me know when - there are a few good beer, shot and wings places around Penn Yan.....hopefully a horse and buggy do not hit me :lol: along the way. It is on me, plus the crisp, touched only by my hands $1. PSU football starts in August so that limits the availability during that time ;)
Try the Rooster Fish Brewing Pub in Watkins Glen.....
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sounds like a terrific hire. Congratulations and best wishes to Coach Amplo and the Midshipmen.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

This came across my google alert. Even in a time of defeat this man still finds a way to take it with class and grace. I feel for he and Rob. Wore the academy on their shoulders and in their hearts. Good people who hopefully will get the credit and success they deserve.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

I’am excited for the future of Navy Lax. This is NOT sour grapes this is purely my admiration for this man. If you know him it’s more than lacrosse for him. It’s about the players and the relationships he has across the game itself.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

HealthyDebate wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:55 am This came across my google alert. Even in a time of defeat this man still finds a way to take it with class and grace. I feel for he and Rob. Wore the academy on their shoulders and in their hearts. Good people who hopefully will get the credit and success they deserve.

I’am excited for the future of Navy Lax. This is NOT sour grapes this is purely my admiration for this man. If you know him it’s more than lacrosse for him. It’s about the players and the relationships he has across the game itself.
Thanks for passing along. I completely agree with you, and pure admiration is right. The article is a good start in giving Coach Wellner the credit he is due, and it's nice to see him portrayed in a positive, unselfish light.

Coach Wellner is a real class act and he continues to show that he's made of the right stuff. He is a great person and a talented coach. He has managed a difficult situation with grace and represented Navy Lacrosse well. His actions during the interim period show his ability to lead and his respect for the institution.

Coach Wellner has earned a chance to lead an organization and will likely have a great opportunity in the future, but I hope that Navy Lacrosse remains his home. Same with Coach Camposa. Navy Lacrosse will be better if they stay on.

No matter what happens, I am also excited about the future of Navy Lacrosse. It is a bright one and with much upside potential. Onward and upward.

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Coach Wellner is a first class person and coach. Hope he gets a crack at a top job somewhere or stays on Coach Amplo's staff.
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

laxpere wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:52 am
HealthyDebate wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:55 am This came across my google alert. Even in a time of defeat this man still finds a way to take it with class and grace. I feel for he and Rob. Wore the academy on their shoulders and in their hearts. Good people who hopefully will get the credit and success they deserve.

Thanks for passing along. I completely agree with you, and pure admiration is right. The article is a good start in giving Coach Wellner the credit he is due, and it's nice to see him portrayed in a positive, unselfish light.

Coach Wellner is a real class act and he continues to show that he's made of the right stuff. He is a great person and a talented coach. He has managed a difficult situation with grace and represented Navy Lacrosse well. His actions during the interim period show his ability to lead and his respect for the institution.

Coach Wellner has earned a chance to lead an organization and will likely have a great opportunity in the future, but I hope that Navy Lacrosse remains his home. Same with Coach Camposa. Navy Lacrosse will be better if they stay on.

No matter what happens, I am also excited about the future of Navy Lacrosse. It is a bright one and with much upside potential. Onward and upward.

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!

+1

Well said

Fore

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

thetruth wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:02 am Coach Wellner is a first class person and coach. Hope he gets a crack at a top job somewhere or stays on Coach Amplo's staff.
RW deserves a HC job...RS's coaching tree(Chemotti, Tiffany and now RW) have proved to be great coaches and people!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I am very bummed RW did not earn the job. But maybe, just maybe, he will be content working here for a long time, provided that opportunity continues to exist. Much like Byrne at ND. This is a great town, certainly a comfortable salary, and if he continues to provide a robust defense via healthy recruiting and player development...why go aggrevate yourself with the headaches of a HC'ng job. Money is not everything.

Why was that last sentence included in the Cap. Gazette article? Things that make you go hmmmm.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 am I am very bummed RW did not earn the job. But maybe, just maybe, he will be content working here for a long time, provided that opportunity continues to exist. Much like Byrne at ND. This is a great town, certainly a comfortable salary, and if he continues to provide a robust defense via healthy recruiting and player development...why go aggrevate yourself with the headaches of a HC'ng job. Money is not everything.

Why was that last sentence included in the Cap. Gazette article? Things that make you go hmmmm.

Sounds as though RW is pitching to stay on board(no pun intended!). RW had been RS's assistant for over a decade, just didn't make any sense to give him the HC job after firing his "mentor"...also, RW stated in the article that he had already learned a great deal during his interim HC period--it therefore makes sense that you don't give a guy his first HC job at a D1 school, imho.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

-it therefore makes sense that you don't give a guy his first HC job at a D1 school, imho.
Terrible opinion. Nobody is ever ready for their first HC job, being an assistant can give you hints of what to expect, but you don't know until you know.

I'd say a first HC job in Di is relatively easy if you hire quality assistants to help. Diii HCing is the hardest, most Diii HC's are doing everything off the field for their program. Talk about a learning experience.
LandM

Post by LandM »

oldjay,
Seriously...........google Coach Fisher DeBerry - he had a great run at a SA. Great man and I had the fortune to play for him.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Amplo's Assoc HC at Marquette coached the offense. His future (if he stays at Marq as asst or HC or follows to Navy) could determine whether there's a place for RW on the Navy staff. Is there room for 2 Assoc HC's & recruiting coords ? An abundance of coaching talent if they can work it out. Would the HC run the box ? hmmm...
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

sguy9 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:59 pm
-it therefore makes sense that you don't give a guy his first HC job at a D1 school, imho.
Terrible opinion. Nobody is ever ready for their first HC job, being an assistant can give you hints of what to expect, but you don't know until you know.

I'd say a first HC job in Di is relatively easy if you hire quality assistants to help. Diii HCing is the hardest, most Diii HC's are doing everything off the field for their program. Talk about a learning experience.
agree to disagree...a high paying and high profile/pressure job(unlike almost all D3 jobs) is not the place for on-the-job training. Can't think of any "big time" program that hires a first time HC--let me know if I've forgotten someone...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”