NIL, Title IX, Power 5, future of Lax et al

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: NIL, Title IX, Power 5, future of Lax et al

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.on3.com/college/virginia-ca ... all-of-us/

Good old Brett Kavanaugh and the SCOTUS really improved college sports with their ruling.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 10:39 pm https://www.on3.com/college/virginia-ca ... all-of-us/

Good old Brett Kavanaugh and the SCOTUS really improved college sports with their ruling.
it's not scotus' job to clean up this mess, it's the nc$$'s job. scotus' ruling now 3+ years ago was that the nc$$ couldn't restrict education-related expenses to student athletes. that's all. the revenue sharing aspect of alston had been tossed in lower courts, for whatever reason. what squi's buddy also did was advise/warn the nc$$ that unless they sat down in collective bargaining, the likelihood was they would keep losing cases. this was months after the doj had already told them in no uncertain terms that if they blocked transfers and nil any longer, that the department would come after them for antitrust violations.
so the nc$$'s solution and reaction to this has been to ignore all of that, and now shoot for congress. they are the most inept and feckless organization i can think of.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:18 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2024 10:39 pm https://www.on3.com/college/virginia-ca ... all-of-us/

it's not scotus' job to clean up this mess, it's the nc$$'s job. scotus' ruling now 3+ years ago was that the nc$$ couldn't restrict education-related expenses to student athletes. that's all. the revenue sharing aspect of alston had been tossed in lower courts, for whatever reason. what squi's buddy also did was advise/warn the nc$$ that unless they sat down in collective bargaining, the likelihood was they would keep losing cases. this was months after the doj had already told them in no uncertain terms that if they blocked transfers and nil any longer, that the department would come after them for antitrust violations.
so the nc$$'s solution and reaction to this has been to ignore all of that, and now shoot for congress. they are the most inept and feckless organization i can think of.
I know it isn’t. Farted in a crowd and left is my analogy.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:40 am

your boy bart gave free legal advice! i have no idea how good an attorney he is and i'm no legal eagle, but it sounds like he's been right! for me, it's like not even having to read tea leaves, there's an airplane with a huge banner flying by.

what the nc$$ could have (and imo should have) done at some point between 3+ years ago and now:
- Slip a piece of paper to every athlete in nc$$ sports:
"hey, so it turns out we can't keep doing to you what we have been, including selectively suspending eligibility if we can prove you got a taco or a ride from a coach. and there's a bunch of other stuff, too. anyway, we think it's high time we actually did something with a long term plan.
so, we'd like to invite you to join all other nc$$ athletes to get together, organize, and prepare to discuss our future together with representation. we'll give whatever resources needed to organize, build websites, pay for your choice of an advisor on how to structure, organize and get communication, hire your legal rep, etc.
we'd love to get to work as soon as possible, though we understand doing it right is paramount. let us know.
best,
- nc$$"

wild prediction they will eventually have to do that, but it will be at the end of a gun.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:45 am

your boy bart gave free legal advice! i have no idea how good an attorney he is and i'm no legal eagle, but it sounds like he's been right! for me, it's like not even having to read tea leaves, there's an airplane with a huge banner flying by.

what the nc$$ could have (and imo should have) done at some point between 3+ years ago and now:
"hey, so it turns out we can't keep doing to you what we have been, including selectively suspending eligibility if we can prove you got a taco or a ride from a coach. and there's a bunch of other stuff, too. anyway, we think it's high time we actually did something with a long term plan.
so, we'd like to invite you to join all other nc$$ athletes to get together, organize, and prepare to discuss our future together with representation. we'll give whatever resources needed to organize, build websites, pay for your choice of an advisor on how to structure, organize and get communication, hire your legal rep, etc.
we'd love to get to work as soon as possible, though we understand doing it right is paramount. let us know.
best,
- nc$$"

wild prediction they will eventually have to do that, but it will be at the end of a gun.
Yep. It’s insane. We are involved with two pro sports at the league level and one franchise and minor league franchises in another sport. Nothing is anywhere near as irrational and in disarray as college football and basketball is right now. Players walking into offices mid week asking for ways to get more money…. A promise of a starting spot next year or they are leaving. “Uncles” calling the coach to pitch ideas.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Holy lack of Self Awareness on this Bennett guy.

How much did he pull down a year, again? Like $3-$4 million, right? At a taxpayer funded school?

Yet he doesn't think being the highest earning employee in the entire State, and, what, like 10x what a tenured PhD professor does at UVa is the entire reason College Sports fell apart?

Watching the bulk of the US press give guys like this Coach a full pass for ruining College Sports to like their own pockets, and then BAILING on the mess that HE MADE, is just....awesome.

What, exactly, is that supposed to teach his former players? Bennett taught them PRECISELY what he's now complaining about: every man for himself, and money comes first.

And now that the shoe is on the other foot, Bennett is clutching pearls. Sweet.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:31 pm

best,
- nc$$"

Yep. It’s insane. We are involved with two pro sports at the league level and one franchise and minor league franchises in another sport. Nothing is anywhere near as irrational and in disarray as college football and basketball is right now. Players walking into offices mid week asking for ways to get more money…. A promise of a starting spot next year or they are leaving. “Uncles” calling the coach to pitch ideas.
bennett speaks to all that in his press conference. pro player, pro mental health, good agents but also bad agents, not an optimal environment for the players. need regulation. the presser and not a snipped up one is worth the listen.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:03 pm

How much did he pull down a year, again? Like $3-$4 million, right? At a taxpayer funded school?

Yet he doesn't think being the highest earning employee in the entire State, and, what, like 10x what a tenured PhD professor does at UVa is the entire reason College Sports fell apart?

Watching the bulk of the US press give guys like this Coach a full pass for ruining College Sports to like their own pockets, and then BAILING on the mess that HE MADE, is just....awesome.

What, exactly, is that supposed to teach his former players? Bennett taught them PRECISELY what he's now complaining about: every man for himself, and money comes first.

imo, you couldn't be more 180 ° wrong about bennett in oppositeville. maybe you're getting it from cut up quotes in the article. his press conference that the article came from is worth listening to.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:31 pm

best,
- nc$$"

bennett speaks to all that in his press conference. pro player, pro mental health, good agents but also bad agents, not an optimal environment for the players. need regulation. the presser and not a snipped up one is worth the listen.
I plan on listening to it. It’s not a good system. I am all for players getting a piece of the pie. The current system ain’t a piece of the pie….it’s “get yours”. It’s not sustainable they way it’s currently operating. My friend runs the NIL pools for MAJOR programs. He said it’s not a job guys should want to do. He has obviously been successful.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:11 pm

imo, you couldn't be more 180 ° wrong about bennett in oppositeville. maybe you're getting it from cut up quotes in the article. his press conference that the article came from is worth listening to.
Did I miss him taking responsibility for taking College Sports to where it is? I listened to the entire presser (or at least what I found online)...didn't hear him say boo about his multimillion dollar wages, or the wages and cuts taken by AD's et. al.

Happy to be wrong. You have a cite where he owns up to his major part, and Athletic Department's role?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:32 pm

Did I miss him taking responsibility for taking College Sports to where it is? I listened to the entire presser (or at least what I found online)...didn't hear him say boo about his multimillion dollar wages, or the wages and cuts taken by AD's et. al.

Happy to be wrong. You have a cite where he owns up to his major part, and Athletic Department's role?
i didn't hear him blame anybody. and why should he have to blame someone else when his explanation for blame was that he wasn't equipped to operate with today's game at his 100% best. what he expects to give his players and admitting his shortcomings?
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 1:47 pm

i didn't hear him blame anybody. and why should he have to blame someone else when his explanation for blame was that he wasn't equipped to operate with today's game at his 100% best. what he expects to give his players and admitting his shortcomings?
I'm realizing I'm alone on an island as to who created this mess. And that's ok.

You can't make $4 million per year as a basketball coach at a State School while the players make zippo, and expect zero repercussions, imo.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you're not on an island. what makes you think bennett didn't expect repercussions? he expected them as much as you or i.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:10 pm

I'm realizing I'm alone on an island as to who created this mess. And that's ok.

You can't make $4 million per year as a basketball coach at a State School while the players make zippo, and expect zero repercussions, imo.
Debating how NIL / Compensation has been rolled put does not mean nobody expected repercussions. So cut athletic department budgets, roll the money into general scholarship funds, maintenance, repairs and capital programs funds and we can all go back to how it was? The coaches and ADs won’t be getting rich so there shouldn’t be any repercussions?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:25 pm you're not on an island. what makes you think bennett didn't expect repercussions?
The fact that he told folks about how he's not suited to where the College Sports is in his presser, without saying one single word as to WHY College Sports is where it is....is what makes me think that he didn't expect bad things to come of pulling in 10x what a UVa professor earned.

He's riding off into the sunset at age 55 after pulling in tens of millions, and it's not at all unlikely that College Sports will fall apart because of the absurd wages being paid out to coaches and AD middlemen. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.

I guess I'm expecting too much. These coaches are supposed to produce leaders....you'd think that SOMEONE in the coaching/AD ranks would cop to their part in ruining College Athletics. I have yet to see the "this is MY fault" admission from any of them.

Have you?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:32 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:10 pm

Debating how NIL / Compensation has been rolled put does not mean nobody expected repercussions. So cut athletic department budgets, roll the money into general scholarship funds, maintenance, repairs and capital programs funds and we can all go back to how it was? The coaches and ADs won’t be getting rich so there shouldn’t be any repercussions?
These coaches and AD middlemen are STILL earning their absurd salaries this very day. If you're asking me?

There is NO going back. Which is my point: the people who broke College Sports aren't owning up to what they did. And there is NO WAY that they don't know that it's their own personal criminal-level wages that are why we are where we are today.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 3:01 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:25 pm you're not on an island. what makes you think bennett didn't expect repercussions?
The fact that he told folks about how he's not suited to where the College Sports is in his presser, without saying one single word as to WHY College Sports is where it is....is what makes me think that he didn't expect bad things to come of pulling in 10x what a UVa professor earned.

He's riding off into the sunset at age 55 after pulling in tens of millions, and it's not at all unlikely that College Sports will fall apart because of the absurd wages being paid out to coaches and AD middlemen. Maybe I'm being pessimistic.

I guess I'm expecting too much. These coaches are supposed to produce leaders....you'd think that SOMEONE in the coaching/AD ranks would cop to their part in ruining College Athletics. I have yet to see the "this is MY fault" admission from any of them.

Have you?
ok. firstly, let's air it out that i am a homer here. here is where i'll go however that i won't again in my lifetime, for anybody: he's the embodiment of what we want coaches to be, more than anyone in the last 30 years. uva didn't deserve him, because he was a unicorn and nobody does.

it's possible you're not that familiar with him before your opening foray, but maybe you are. what i can tell you: he didn't and doesn't talk in code. when he has concern for athletes at top of mind, it's because it matters to him what happens to the bulk of the 1,700 basketball players that were in the portal in the last year. it matters to him about the guys that get lost in the wash as much as any guy that can help him win.
he doesn't say one thing and mean another. unfortunately, that's rare. and me, i've never heard a coach retire and say 6 to 10 times it's because i'm not good enough to do this.

however, if you'd rather have your take be he hasn't and didn't repent for his sins, because that's the one thing you need to hear, have at it.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The purpose for attending college is to prepare adolescents for adult life. It helps students grow intellectually, socially and prepares them for a career, teaches them how to think critically, helps them mature and live independently, and how to grow socially, interact with others, make lasting friendships. It also gives attendees an opportunity to belong to a community and to identify with that community (the college).

How is the current state of college athletics meeting those goals? Only a few hundred, if that many, will have any kind of career as a professional athlete and those careers will average a few years. That means that most college athletes are no different from any other student who participates fully in an extra curricular activity.

Yes, some football and basketball coaches at major college are paid obscene amounts of money, but none of that justifies the give me mine culture that permeates college sports today.

How does the current environment help prepare these students for life after college? I'm not seeing it. Let's bring this back to lacrosse. IMO, a college lax player is much better off staying at his school of choice for four years and getting a degree in his chosen field (taking advantage of the things listed above) even if his lax career is not what he hoped for and feels he deserves than he would be transferring one or more times just for the opportunity to play more or earn more NIL money.

Back to football. Is a college player really better off shopping himself around 2-3 times over 4 years and earning some NIL money, only to maybe get a degree at some college in some major that does not help him in his career, which begins the day after graduation?

This is one big colossal mess right now and I don't see how anybody other than a handful of athletes benefits.

And I just do not see the athlete as employee thing - factually, economically, or logically. And I was an employment attorney for 25 years. I don't see how the college athlete is different from any other student engaged in an extra curricular activity.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:09 pm

Have you?
ok. firstly, let's air it out that i am a homer here. here is where i'll go however that i won't again in my lifetime, for anybody: he's the embodiment of what we want coaches to be, more than anyone in the last 30 years. uva didn't deserve him, because he was a unicorn and nobody does.

it's possible you're not that familiar with him before your opening foray, but maybe you are. what i can tell you: he didn't and doesn't talk in code. when he has concern for athletes at top of mind, it's because it matters to him what happens to the bulk of the 1,700 basketball players that were in the portal in the last year. it matters to him about the guys that get lost in the wash as much as any guy that can help him win.
he doesn't say one thing and mean another. unfortunately, that's rare. and me, i've never heard a coach retire and say 6 to 10 times it's because i'm not good enough to do this.

however, if you'd rather have your take be he hasn't and didn't repent for his sins, because that's the one thing you need to hear, have at it.
I'm not familiar with him at all. Never heard of him until the presser.

I wouldn't have said word one if he simply retired, and sailed off.....

But that's not what he did. He threw stones at the mess he helped make, without acknowledging his role is weak sauce, imho. That's why I reacted the way I did.

Like many here, i am LIVID at what they've done to College Sports. I'm sure he's a good man, but if you ask him? I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't tell you he was part of the problem.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:24 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:09 pm

Have you?

I'm not familiar with him at all. Never heard of him until the presser.

I wouldn't have said word one if he simply retired, and sailed off.....

But that's not what he did. He threw stones at the mess he helped make, without acknowledging his role is weak sauce, imho. That's why I reacted the way I did.

Like many here, i am LIVID at what they've done to College Sports. I'm sure he's a good man, but if you ask him? I'd be SHOCKED if he didn't tell you he was part of the problem.
The money paid to football and basketball coaches at major colleges is obscene. And the money major colleges get from football is absurd. The search for football dollars has ruined college sports. And for the major colleges to try to get the other schools to help them pay for the problem they created is robbery. But I fear for how the current environment and system is going to ruin other sports completely at every college level.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”