Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:58 pm You love to make this list over and over
We are pretty well aware of all the changes made and those that need to be implemented
An alumni scrimmage has zero impact on any of it - none
The upcoming fall scrimmages will not have much more of an impact

The bottom line is that Hopkins is in a boat with alot of teams having to replace alot of players as the extra time runs out. They've been diligent in trying to address the departures in some of the areas. Wait until Spring - won't know umtil you know
Unprecedented turnover and the first lineup not dominated by Petro guys in 25 years. NBD.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:20 am
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:58 pm You love to make this list over and over
We are pretty well aware of all the changes made and those that need to be implemented
An alumni scrimmage has zero impact on any of it - none
The upcoming fall scrimmages will not have much more of an impact

The bottom line is that Hopkins is in a boat with alot of teams having to replace alot of players as the extra time runs out. They've been diligent in trying to address the departures in some of the areas. Wait until Spring - won't know umtil you know
Unprecedented turnover and the first lineup not dominated by Petro guys in 25 years. NBD.
You couldn't stop badmouthing the outgoing senior class, quite literally on multiple occasions called them worthless or something similar, consistently advocated for several of them to be benched. Now you're worried about the turnover? One might begin to wonder if you're completely on the level.

The team does lose a lot, but they return a 1st team All-American graduate student on defense, a former All-American grad student on attack, an All-American midfielder, and they bring in an All-American two-way middie who captained Yale and an AA-caliber two-year starting goalie for a rival. The cupboard is hardly bare. A lot of talent and experience to work with and if you look around at some of the other NCAA teams from last year, they're dealing with their own things.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:20 am Unprecedented turnover and the first lineup not dominated by Petro guys in 25 years. NBD.
Not unprecedented - care to go back and review the guys that graduated in 2005 and 2008? Happens all the time - if you have a good program you should be losing key guys every year.

IT may very well be a Big Deal - no one is arguing it might not be - the following points are relevant however:
- Even if it is the Biggest Fng Deal - point made and recognized - no need to continually bring it up
- Most other programs including several on Hopkins schedule suffered as significant or greater losses
- There are thoughts to counter the argument that it is such a BD - to wit
-- Everybody is saying this is Milliman's offense - he hasn't left
- - Yes Hopkins lost 40% of its point total through graduation of Degnon and Angelus - but that's not insurmountable - is Ayers/Bauer going to dish out 44 assists? Probably not - if you give Chauvette 127 nails to hammer is he going to hit 40+ of them? Probably yes
- - I don't know what to tell you about Melendez - he's still here - have to wait and see - we know he's capable
-- Yes English is coming off an injury - a broken bone typically heals better with less implications then softer tissues - he appears to be a full go - if he gets hurt again - Crap
-- You're really concerned about a back-up FOGO? - Hopkins brought in a highly rated D3 transfer - a well regarded recruit - and 2 others that haven't played yet - maybe Callahan has to take every face-off - it's been done - plus you DON'T know - McKee could be the #1 guy for all we know
- Given how much you have ripped Bauer/Evans and Phillips in the past - I find this next point laughable - If English stays mostly upright the first midfield is likely pretty set - second midfield is going to be mix and match at the beginning and we will see what we will see - between Peshko Grimes and McDermott only 44 points are gone from last year - very replaceable at the midfield
- Yes the experience of playing SSDM in the Hopkins system walked out the door en masse - but this isn't biomedical engineering - there are no secrets the Yale transfers - possibly the UMBC transfer and the kids trying to get on the field with good size and athleticism should be fine by the end of the year
- - We had a one year grad student goalie last year - he was terrific - we have another one with similar career statistics playing in front of a defense that returns alot of good components
-- Everybody loses pieces - Szuluk was a very good defender and will be missed - can't play forever in college - there are 8 LSMs on the roster - I hope one of the 7 might be able to help Deans out - There are 8 players listed as Close - 1 is a 1st team AA - another might someday be better - it's a good start

My biggest question regarding personnel? Because of the pandemic and the extra eligibility - 13 freshmen from last year's team - an astounding number - did not see the field for a single second - yet none of them left - what is the plan with regards to them?

Finally - it is simply the point that fall serves an incredibly useful purpose to start building the culture of next spring's team and to get on a field running around so you are not starting from absolute scratch in January. It has virtually nothing to do with personnel or if it does you really can't tell - the ghost of Joe Pollard probably still is around Homewood in the fall.
gc1507

Post by gc1507 »

Does anyone know the times for Sunday's scrimmages? None of the three teams have it posted from what I can see and the publications that have advertised it have only mentioned it is happening. I'm trying to get there (barring my children's rapidly increasing social schedules) and see how we stack up in a more competitive atmosphere. Thanks in advance!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gc1507 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:52 pm Does anyone know the times for Sunday's scrimmages? None of the three teams have it posted from what I can see and the publications that have advertised it have only mentioned it is happening. I'm trying to get there (barring my children's rapidly increasing social schedules) and see how we stack up in a more competitive atmosphere. Thanks in advance!
Ernie says 2pm vs. Air Force and then NJIT shortly after that (~3:30). Not sure if Air Force and NJIT are playing eachother before or after
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

The games have been pushed back a little. Here’s the schedule for tomorrow.

2-305 AFA vs NJIT 3x20 min
310-415 JHU vs AFA 3x20 min
420-525 JHU vs NJIT 3x20 min

Also this is a Headstrong event so there is a $10 entry fee per person I’m pretty sure.

I’ll be there and can give a breakdown after.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 10:20 am The games have been pushed back a little. Here’s the schedule for tomorrow.

2-305 AFA vs NJIT 3x20 min
310-415 JHU vs AFA 3x20 min
420-525 JHU vs NJIT 3x20 min

Also this is a Headstrong event so there is a $10 entry fee per person I’m pretty sure.

I’ll be there and can give a breakdown after.
Very curious on Faceoff play.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Filmed both scrimmages. Anticipate posting late tomorrow night.
TronLax1

Post by TronLax1 »

What were the outcomes of the scrimmages?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 6:00 pm Filmed both scrimmages. Anticipate posting late tomorrow night.
You're a legend
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

TronLax1 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 6:22 pm What were the outcomes of the scrimmages?
Air Force looked very good and narrowly outscored Jays. Joe Hobot was a standout at the X.

The NJIT scrimmage featured some very good play by Hop backups who won 10-3.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:41 pm
TronLax1 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 6:22 pm What were the outcomes of the scrimmages?
Air Force looked very good and narrowly outscored Jays. Joe Hobot was a standout at the X.

The NJIT scrimmage featured some very good play by Hop backups who won 10-3. Plus, it had a ‘Blaze Riorden’ highlight.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Plus, it had a ‘Blaze Riorden’ highlight.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Before the jhu06s of the world freak out about that Air Force result, a reminder that we "lost" to Hofstra last fall. It was not indicative of how either team's season would go.

Highlight on socials of Crogan pinging a corner with what looks to be the first team offense (assisted by Chauvette).
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:08 pmSome of the current Jays launched an apparel company called Blue Crest. Believe it started as a class project and they're now trying to turn it into something legitimate: https://bluecrest-apparel.com/
One parent was wearing their t-shirt. I'm guessing (and hope) it was a freebie.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 7:50 pm Before the jhu06s of the world freak out about that Air Force result, a reminder that we "lost" to Hofstra last fall. It was not indicative of how either team's season would go.

Highlight on socials of Crogan pinging a corner with what looks to be the first team offense (assisted by Chauvette).
Crogan ran on the second midfield in the air force scrimmage alongside Evans and Stu Phillips.

I'll write up my full thoughts / observations later tonight. Only had time to stay for the Air Force scrimmage due to the shifted schedule but presume the "starters" didnt see a ton of time vs NJIT.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Didn't actually write down any notes but should have a good enough recollection. If anyone else who was there sees something they think is amiss feel free to chime in. I wasn't paying attention to see who was in street clothes on the sideline today to know if any of this might be impacted by hurt folks.

JHU vs Air Force Depth Chart

Attack
Melendez
Chauvette
Ayers / Bauer -> Ayers started the game but they switched him and Bauer somewhere around Period 3

Midfield

Collison
English
Bauer /Ayers -> when Bauer went to attack Ayers took runs here

Evans
Phillips
Crogan

Rawson
Jameson Smith
Teachout

Defense
Smith
Kilrain
Weishaar

Goal
Webb - played 1st "half"
Staudt - played 2nd "half"

SSDM
Hackler
Calhoun
Monfort
Mcdonald
Luke Martin

LSM
Eye
Deans
Luke Martin
Hazard -> Pretty sure I saw him get some runs

Faceoff
Calahan
Hobot

General Takeaways
- Offense is a work in progress, spacing not always great, ball movement maybe a hair slow at times. Still getting back into the swing of things and figuring out new / modified personnel. Early on there seemed to be a decent focus on skip passes to Chauvette, not too surprising. I thought Bauer looked good, the rest of the top billed cast only so-so. Collison didn't really show too much in terms of having taken the next step, Melendez ok but not taking over the game, English didn't seem to dodge a ton / wasnt especially effective. Crogan impressed me for just looking the part in terms of preparedness and picking up the speed of the college game as a freshman especially one who presumably wasn't exceptionally touted.
- Defense seems like they'll figure it out, the poles seem good enough and you've got plenty to choose from. Hackler and Monfort look steady, I don't think Calhoun got gashed too bad. Mcdonald on the other hand might need some more seasoning as he was definitely getting picked on for a minute and was often a step slow and chasing stick. Luke Martin seems capable with the short stick, may be worth letting him do that full time.
- Goalie play was Jekkyl and Hyde, Webb I thought looked fantastic, Staudt came in and looked rather rough. Whether it was just not seeing the ball well due to time of day and some sun or coming in mid-game on the fly without a more settling warm up and entry I don't know but I'd think it is Webbs job to lose at this point from my vantage point.
- Faceoffs it is hard to tell what will or won't work on any day against the opposing crew but Calahan and Hobot seem like a fine one-two punch and the wings were alright. Eye and Hackler seemed to be the two top wings that started the game.
gc1507

Post by gc1507 »

Thanks for the recap, very well appreciated! Excited to see HOB's film to go along with it.

Interested in the 3rd D spot. Last week I thought it was Jojo Todaro filling in for QK but now the roster has him moved over to SSDM. Maybe i got it wrong last week or maybe its a recent switch as Weishaar has been just about everywhere on the defensive side of the ball this Fall. There seems to be an added emphasis on the SSDM role. Also interesting to see we could have another Martin filling that role while also running LSM when needed. Love to see athletes find their way on to the field.

I know a lot of you were anointing Staudt as the de facto starter, and for all I know he very well may be the guy, but you have to like the fact that Webb is not just conceding the spot and making the decision harder on the coaches. Competition for spots is only going to raise the level of play across the board.

One thing is clear after the past 2 weeks: Crogan is going to find his way on the field a bunch this spring.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

The thing you notice most about Crogan is his quickness. He reaches the ball that seems out of reach. Plus, his twitch in getting his shot off.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gc1507 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:28 am Interested in the 3rd D spot. Last week I thought it was Jojo Todaro filling in for QK but now the roster has him moved over to SSDM. Maybe i got it wrong last week or maybe its a recent switch as Weishaar has been just about everywhere on the defensive side of the ball this Fall.
No you had that right, that was Todaro. He's been listed at SSDM on the roster since last year but they've been trying him in both roles. It doesn't sound like that 3rd close D spot is particularly close to being decided.

Thanks for the notes RF. Couple thoughts:
- I don't doubt that Webb is leading the competition right now but my money would still be on Staudt being the guy on Feb. 1. Could be wrong! Let the best man win whoever it is
- Based on PM's podcast comments and his pedigree, I'm not too surprised that Crogan appears to be putting himself in the mix. If you watch the Committed Combine footage from this summer, he looks like one of the better players on a field full of ACC, B1G, and Ivy commits. He's a similar player to his brother, who was Big East freshman of the year for Georgetown in 2023
- A little surprised Eye "started" as the first FO wing but I'll take that as a good sign for his development. Hard to know what's real and what's just something they're trying out because it's a fall scrimmage and this is the time to experiment, like L. Martin with a short stick. I know someone who will be a pretty good mentor for him if he stays at that spot

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”