Salisbury ‘25

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MVPiccoli

Re: Salisbury ‘25

Post by MVPiccoli »

Motorman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:45 am [quote=MVPiccoli post_id=585155 time=<a href="tel:1728655866">1728655866</a> user_id=3080]
What year did you guys graduate? Motorman and Backlax?
When Hobart was still the kings of D3 Lax.
[/quote]

So, your kid played at Salisbury? Or are you an old head?
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:26 pm
Motorman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:45 am [quote=MVPiccoli post_id=585155 time=<a href="tel:1728655866">1728655866</a> user_id=3080]
[/quote]

Just a local fan of the program and retiree with plenty of free time.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

1995 - saw the Gulls lose to Hobart at home by 1 in the DIII final in 91.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Don't have any affiliation to Salisbury but it's hard to argue that Berkman isn't the best of all time.....His stats alone are kind of like Gretzky's...He is so far out in front they might never be replicated...
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

In DIII probably. Overall, no way.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Motorman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 6:41 pm
[/quote]
Backlax wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:46 pm 1995 - saw the Gulls lose to Hobart at home by 1 in the DIII final in 91.
IMHO you can't claim that he has the "respected by players, coaches and opponents." You didn't play, have your kid play in the program to actually know. Not saying he isn't largely respected, but that's not universal. He's got warts too, every coach does. Now, I appreciate him honoring the game the way he does, and that was proven in the way (to selfish ends or not) he kept Cabrini on the schedule last year.

He is the winningest coach in men's lacrosse. And that is incredible, due to the sustainment of success over the decades of change.

I personally think that there are 10-20 coaches (some active, some retired) across divisions that execute culture and schemes at a higher level, and I would rather play for. One of my favorites is Jeff Long from Ithaca. His schemes were creative, the pace of play was exciting, he made adjustments really well. He also focused his program around the soul of the game. Stack 24s. Marr up at UAlbany, another one that seems to mix the ideas of competition with the pure joy that the game should bring. Tiffany and Shay and Tillman have it on him lax IQ wise, I'd venture to say long term. Handful of active coaches likely as well. The competitive nature of D1 is going to produce sharper minds. The rosters are closer, there are very few easy wins. The recruiting is tougher. The adjustment are more minute.

Every team "get's back to work." Every single one. I appreciate the candor, but that doesn't make Salisbury unique. BTW, I'm not looking to bring down Jim or what he's help build. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the Salisbury program and their accomplishments. I shared the field only once with the Gulls in 2003 and it was pretty nuts. Eric Martin chasing me around. He was 10x the best defender I had seen that season. I returned to the shore in 2003 to watch the semifinals against Whittier. They did them dirtier than our humble Cabrini squad.

Resume, unquestionably the best in D3, all time.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:31 am
Backlax wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:46 pm 1995 - saw the Gulls lose to Hobart at home by 1 in the DIII final in 91.
IMHO you can't claim that he has the "respected by players, coaches and opponents." You didn't play, have your kid play in the program to actually know. Not saying he isn't largely respected, but that's not universal. He's got warts too, every coach does. Now, I appreciate him honoring the game the way he does, and that was proven in the way (to selfish ends or not) he kept Cabrini on the schedule last year.

He is the winningest coach in men's lacrosse. And that is incredible, due to the sustainment of success over the decades of change.

I personally think that there are 10-20 coaches (some active, some retired) across divisions that execute culture and schemes at a higher level, and I would rather play for. One of my favorites is Jeff Long from Ithaca. His schemes were creative, the pace of play was exciting, he made adjustments really well. He also focused his program around the soul of the game. Stack 24s. Marr up at UAlbany, another one that seems to mix the ideas of competition with the pure joy that the game should bring. Tiffany and Shay and Tillman have it on him lax IQ wise, I'd venture to say long term. Handful of active coaches likely as well. The competitive nature of D1 is going to produce sharper minds. The rosters are closer, there are very few easy wins. The recruiting is tougher. The adjustment are more minute.

Every team "get's back to work." Every single one. I appreciate the candor, but that doesn't make Salisbury unique. BTW, I'm not looking to bring down Jim or what he's help build. I have nothing but respect and admiration for the Salisbury program and their accomplishments. I shared the field only once with the Gulls in 2003 and it was pretty nuts. Eric Martin chasing me around. He was 10x the best defender I had seen that season. I returned to the shore in 2003 to watch the semifinals against Whittier. They did them dirtier than our humble Cabrini squad.

[/quote]

MVP, do you think the JB is successful due to the quality of players he recruits or does he elevate them once in his program?
laxerr20

Post by laxerr20 »

Whens the last time you have seen a freshmen at su come in and be one of the best players? They are very few. You go into salisbury and coaching develops you
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

laxerr20 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:07 am Whens the last time you have seen a freshmen at su come in and be one of the best players? They are very few. You go into salisbury and coaching develops you
Preston Dabbs
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

[/quote]
My implication was that I've watched and been around the players and older alums since before 1991. I hope you are not implying that if you did not have a son play for Jim you cannot be an informed individual. Coach Long is a hell of a coach and a great guy - not sure who would rank him above Coach Berkman. The same would go for the others you mentioned, except Coach Tillman. Talk about recruiting advantages (UVA anyone). One that does come to mind would probably be Coach Janczyk. Certainly a peer, class act, and professional.

I also didn't say he was respected by players, coaches etc... With his longevity, he probably has more distractors, haters, and nonbelievers than most.

Just not sure how anyone would think Coach Berkman wouldn't or couldn't easily transition to the DI level. It's not just the record - look at the accomplishments. The sustained level of play across decades speaks for itself.

Certainly appreciate your props to the Gulls from a former opponent!
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I kinda am implying that. If you weren't on the inside of the program as a player or parent or coach, I just don't think you really know.
laxerr20 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:07 am Whens the last time you have seen a freshmen at su come in and be one of the best players? They are very few. You go into salisbury and coaching develops you
Berkman recruits AND develops at an elite level. He has created a pressure cooker approach to doing that. Results speak for themselves.

From 2000 on and off the top of my head: Josh Bergy, Jeff Bigas, Andy Murray, Chris Phillips, Kylor Berkman, Sam Bradman, Tyler Granelli...plenty other game changing freshmen have hit the shore...what's more impressive, as you state, are the kids that wait their turn for two years and then BALL OUT. That is freaking cool to see.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

Interesting
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Backlax wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:18 pm

My implication was that I've watched and been around the players and older alums since before 1991. I hope you are not implying that if you did not have a son play for Jim you cannot be an informed individual. Coach Long is a hell of a coach and a great guy - not sure who would rank him above Coach Berkman. The same would go for the others you mentioned, except Coach Tillman. Talk about recruiting advantages (UVA anyone). One that does come to mind would probably be Coach Janczyk. Certainly a peer, class act, and professional.

I also didn't say he was respected by players, coaches etc... With his longevity, he probably has more distractors, haters, and nonbelievers than most.

Just not sure how anyone would think Coach Berkman wouldn't or couldn't easily transition to the DI level. It's not just the record - look at the accomplishments. The sustained level of play across decades speaks for itself.

Certainly appreciate your props to the Gulls from a former opponent!
[/quote]

It’s clear that Coach Jim Berkman, head coach of Salisbury University’s men’s lacrosse team, has established an extraordinary legacy. With the most wins in the history of NCAA men’s lacrosse across all divisions, his sustained success is undeniable. However, the conversation about Berkman, like any legendary coach, brings up an important question: Is his success mainly due to the quality of players he recruits, or does he elevate those players once they enter his program?

First, it’s worth considering the sheer talent Salisbury University attracts under Berkman. Year after year, he recruits players who excel at the Division III level and, in some cases, might be competitive in Division I programs. The success Salisbury has seen isn’t merely the result of luck in finding high school stars—Berkman has honed a recruiting system that identifies players who are not only skilled but also fit into the culture and system he’s cultivated. His recruiting prowess is undeniable, bringing in athletes who often have potential that may not be fully realized until they enter the program.

Yet, while Berkman recruits talented players, what sets him apart is his ability to develop and elevate them. Lacrosse isn’t just about individual talent; it’s about the system, coaching, and the collective effort of a team. Salisbury's players improve once they're in the program, and this speaks volumes about Berkman’s coaching. His teams are known for discipline, technical skill, and consistency, year after year. Even though his recruits are top-tier for DIII, Berkman’s impact is most evident in the fact that these players reach their full potential under his tutelage.

The balance between recruiting and player development is nuanced. For many coaches, success is tied heavily to the talent pipeline. But in Berkman’s case, his longevity and adaptability show that it’s not just the talent he recruits but how he molds that talent into a cohesive unit. A great coach doesn’t just win with great players; they make great players. Berkman has managed to do both—recruit well and elevate those players to new heights once in his program.

Some might argue that Berkman benefits from an inherent advantage at Salisbury—a rich tradition, the reputation of being a perennial powerhouse, and a magnet for elite DIII athletes. However, it’s also crucial to acknowledge that maintaining a high level of success over decades is no easy feat. There’s a reason why dynasties in sports, from college to professional levels, are rare. Sustained success requires constant adaptation, learning, and adjusting to the evolving game. Berkman has been able to do that with remarkable consistency.

The respect Berkman garners across the sport also ties into this dynamic. While it’s clear he has plenty of supporters, there’s always a layer of scrutiny that comes with being at the top for so long. Detractors might claim that other coaches, such as Jeff Long from Ithaca, Scott Marr from UAlbany, or John Tillman from Maryland, operate at a higher level in terms of scheme and lacrosse IQ. Indeed, Division I lacrosse, with its smaller gap between rosters and fierce recruiting battles, may produce sharper tactical minds. But that doesn’t diminish Berkman’s accomplishments. He has crafted a system that works at the DIII level and sustains it through high-level culture and preparation.

Other coaches, such as Marr or Long, may have a different coaching philosophy that resonates more with certain players. Marr, for example, is known for his fast, free-flowing offensive schemes at UAlbany, and Long's creativity at Ithaca speaks to a more dynamic approach. These coaches do focus on the soul of the game, the joy, and the creativity that lacrosse offers. Berkman, on the other hand, has built a system on discipline, fundamentals, and execution. Both approaches can be successful; it’s a matter of style, and every player may find one more appealing than the other.

While it’s difficult to definitively rank coaches across divisions or eras, what makes Berkman stand out isn’t just his winning record, but the culture he’s cultivated—a culture of winning, yes, but also of growth. Every year, Salisbury gets back to work, as every team does, but Berkman’s ability to fine-tune his approach with each roster is what keeps them in the conversation as one of the best programs year after year. His success isn’t an anomaly; it’s the result of years of refined coaching, player development, and dedication.

In the end, while some may argue that other coaches outshine Berkman in scheme or lacrosse IQ, it’s impossible to ignore the results he’s produced. His sustained success and ability to elevate players within the program are what have made Salisbury a perennial force in men’s lacrosse. Whether through recruiting or player development, Berkman has left an indelible mark on the sport, and that legacy speaks for itself.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Backlax wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:02 amInteresting

And no hate or ill intent in that post Backlax. I don't actually know ether. I didn't play for the Gulls. I wasn't talented enough to be on Jim's radar, nor did I understand the lacrosse landscape (having just started playing in 9th grade) enough to even know who was who, program wise.

An analogy: I have watched the Phillies play 50+ times a year for as long as I can remember. I can surmise a lot, but I've never been on the inside to know. Closest I can get is talking to a friend's husband who is a trainer for them.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:58 am
Backlax wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:02 amInteresting

And no hate or ill intent in that post Backlax. I don't actually know ether. I didn't play for the Gulls. I wasn't talented enough to be on Jim's radar, nor did I understand the lacrosse landscape (having just started playing in 9th grade) enough to even know who was who, program wise.

An analogy: I have watched the Phillies play 50+ times a year for as long as I can remember. I can surmise a lot, but I've never been on the inside to know. Closest I can get is talking to a friend's husband who is a trainer for them.

As a pure fan with no program connection I get to see 10-12 Salisbury home games a year,it’s pretty clear that JB has incredible depth on his roster. Don’t ask me names or years but every year another player or two who played little in previous years becomes a major force in his games. Each year in the NCAA playoffs I see 10-15 players who can’t dress due to roster limitations and wonder which ones will be his go to guys in a year or 2. I’ve watched enough 1st round blowouts to know that the Gulls players in street clothes might be a better matchup than the opponent on the field.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:57 am I kinda am implying that. If you weren't on the inside of the program as a player or parent or coach, I just don't think you really know.
Berkman recruits AND develops at an elite level. He has created a pressure cooker approach to doing that. Results speak for themselves.

From 2000 on and off the top of my head: Josh Bergy, Jeff Bigas, Andy Murray, Chris Phillips, Kylor Berkman, Sam Bradman, Tyler Granelli...plenty other game changing freshmen have hit the shore...what's more impressive, as you state, are the kids that wait their turn for two years and then BALL OUT. That is freaking cool to see.
Granelli wasn’t a freshman, transferred over from Cortland and word was he had signed with Syracuse (believe did fall ball with them) prior to going to the Red Dragons (got injured).

The gist of this argument is he has taken some incredible talent and made them better. From those examples above, Bradman was a Hobart signee, they also had Matt Cannone leave Delaware after fall ball and start on that same team with Bradman in ‘09. Eric Law played that same season, got hurt, returned for NCAAs and then transferred to University of Denver and helped them win their first title. He is still playing in the PLL.

It’s always amazing what the Gulls do with the top end talent, but I’m always amazed when he takes the guy from the bottom of the bench and turns him into an all-American (Matt Hickman is my favorite example).
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Feel that! My personal favorite was the goalie that the award is named after. When he absolutely balled in the NC. Name escaping me. Didn't play virtually at all until that point.

*EDIT - Nick Fiorentino, I had to look that up!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”