Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 12:00 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:44 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:01 am
Hoponboard wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:07 am Sean Crogan impressed in the Alumni scrimmage.

https://youtu.be/4ULMNocQMYg?si=1pdLSEspuSrFPh2n
Thanks as always HOB

Looks like English, Kilrain, Monfort, McKee, Iler, and a few others did not suit up. Curious if any of them play this weekend vs Air Force/NJIT

Collison dodging one-on-one against Peshko with no slide help is a good microcosm of the alumni game.
Menendez looks a lot more confident and engaged than he was last spring.

I don't know if Ayers will be the distributor that Angelus was but he's got the scoring knack down. You know every scouting report is going to start with collison especially in crunch time and need other options badly. That would be a fantastic place to be able to go next.

91 seems more multidimensional than degnon.

Hackler has to get gbs like that one at 08 in or it's going to be a long season. Bit of a difference between Big Ten poles and Le Moyne/Dartmouth poles.

Warry Calhoun's size stands out for his position.
You got all that from a 4 minute video of a running-clock scrimmage against a bunch of washed-up alums, some of whom were probably drunk?

I hope Melendez has a bounceback season and I think there are reasons for optimism (his performance vs Virginia in the quarterfinals, more time removed from whatever injury may or may not have been bugging him, bigger role/more responsibility in the offense sans Angelus) but one play in an alumni scrimmage is not enough to make any sort of grand pronouncements.

Literally all that matters in the alumni game is that nobody gets hurt. That's it. When the Jays suit up next weekend against actual D1 college teams there may be more to glean, but even then those games will come with the usual fall caveats.

The only thing I can think of that we "learned" from this is that it does appear, for now at least, that Ayers is playing attack and Bauer is playing midfield. That was always the most likely outcome but wasn't a sure thing and still could change before/during the season.
The team lost 13 contributors and probably key scout team players. Can't just get better watching film and some of the guys they were playing against this weekend have probably forgotten more about the sport and how to win at the d1 level than many of the guys they'll see next spring.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... back/64130

UNC probably has the most coming back of any team we play next spring and it sounds like a lot more on the way. I guess they have not beaten UNC at homewood since my sr year which is probably the longest winning streak a program has ever had at homewood. Something that PM needs to fix if he's going beyond the quarterfinals.

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... arolina/22
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Coach K promoted to associate head coach https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/10/ ... coach.aspx
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:07 am Sean Crogan impressed in the Alumni scrimmage.

As always, thanks HOB. Much appreciated.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:04 pm

As always, thanks HOB. Much appreciated.
Thanks for the video, HOB.

Alumni scrimmage may not mean much, but still it was nice seeing the players sharing the rock on O. Good sign.

Unassisted Collison goal. Again, doesn’t mean much in this scrimmage, but he will need to do a lot more of that next season if he wants to take his game to the next level.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:08 pm Coach K promoted to associate head coach https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/10/ ... coach.aspx
Well-deserved. By the end of the 2024 season, I thought the Hopkins D was the best in the nation. Aggressive in causing turnovers while solid in the fundamentals. Very good on gbs and always looking to push transition O. JK’s D was good enough to compete for a national championship.

The O? Not so much.

If JK wants to be a head coach, I think that opportunity will come soon. He’s one of the best DCs in college lacrosse.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:08 pm Coach K promoted to associate head coach https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/10/ ... coach.aspx
how does this actually change his responsibilities? They have more staff now, more is delegated presumably.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 5:01 pm
how does this actually change his responsibilities? They have more staff now, more is delegated presumably.
More cash 💰 💵 . Hopkins way of saying don’t leave (yet).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Yeah I'd imagine it is mostly just a pay raise and a better sounding title. In theory it makes it harder to lure him away and might buy you a few extra years of him on the staff instead of looking elsewhere for a full head coaching position if that's something he even wants to do.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:45 am Yeah I'd imagine it is mostly just a pay raise and a better sounding title. In theory it makes it harder to lure him away and might buy you a few extra years of him on the staff instead of looking elsewhere for a full head coaching position if that's something he even wants to do.
Coach K's D plays with a ton of heart.
He deserves an HC opportunity but I would hate to see him leave.
He bleeds blue.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The downside to having successful assistants is that they will inevitably attract head coaching interest. But from what I know about Coach K, saying he "bleeds blue" is probably an understatement. I think it would take a lot for him to leave. Not saying it won't happen, just that this doesn't seem to be a situation where a guy is actively looking to make a career move. With his ties to Ohio State, I wonder if they'd reach out to him if/when they fire Myers, which could be in a year or two if things in Columbus continue going downhill.

Some of the current Jays launched an apparel company called Blue Crest. Believe it started as a class project and they're now trying to turn it into something legitimate: https://bluecrest-apparel.com/
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 2:08 pm Some of the current Jays launched an apparel company called Blue Crest. Believe it started as a class project and they're now trying to turn it into something legitimate: https://bluecrest-apparel.com/
I'm sure I'll see their tent on the summer circuit - right next to the GOAT guys.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This is phenomenal

norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:33 pm This is phenomenal

Definitely a goaliesmith game as that offensive display was atrocious
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:26 pm

You must be great at parties
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:41 pm

Ever wonder why you have a lukewarm relationship with many on this forum? And i'm not just referring to Doc or JHU06
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

At least he gets invited to parties 🎉.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:51 pm

Ever wonder why you have a lukewarm relationship with many on this forum? And i'm not just referring to Doc or JHU06
That video was awesome. Ierlan will be a big help because he can explain to the world what it means to play for PM at Hopkins instead of just playing for Hopkins in the past.

As for the mention of my name, I will let Marlo Stanfield speak for me.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/784dfdb1-6 ... 979ab61c8d
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:51 pm

Like who
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

gc1507 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:10 pm Here are the starters for what it’s worth:

Ayers, Melendez, Chauvette
Collison, Phillips, Bauer
Smith, Deans (I believe), Todaro (Kilrain wasn’t dressed)
Staudt

Staudt was solid, cleared it fast and efficiently. Played the first quarter but didn’t see much rubber thanks to the alumni offense looking like they had a few too many dad sodas and slinging it a little reckless. Webb looked solid as well. Let in 1 goal on an empty net when no one knew where the ball was. Moore played the whole 2nd half and actually made about 4 really nice saves while letting in 1 late to Cole Williams.

The offense looked alright but you could tell they didn’t have the pedal all the way down. The highlight was the first goal with Melendez going BTB from about 8 yards and putting it just under the bar. It was a thing of beauty. The alumni defense however was playing very aggressive. The goalies today for the alumni kept it closer than years past but I’m not worried at all. Schwartzman, Marcille, Gib, and Turnbaugh all played and each made some nice saves (specifically the elder statesman of the group who made at least 4 saves). The game was played with 10 minute quarters and it was running time the whole way otherwise it could have been another dozen goals.

Milliman played a lot of guys (but not all….). We saw a lot of Teachout, Rawson, Crogan, Chick, and Evans in midfield early. Sorichetti and McCleary were noticeable in the second half as well. Not much to say about the defense other than everyone just about played as the ball was never there long enough to get a good look.

Fun day overall and it was nice to see so many legends come back to Homewood! Looking forward to next weekend and also HOB’s film.
new offensive coordinator,
2 attackmen starting for the first time at the position,
an attackmen (melendez) coming off a down year,
a top middie (english) coming off injury,
new backup fogo,
beyond evans/collison/phillips/bauer/english a group of younger/new to the program middies trying to prove themselves,
completely new ssdms,
new goalie,
at least one new starting pole and top backup close defenseman.

For a fallball weekend, a lot to begin to work out for them.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You love to make this list over and over
We are pretty well aware of all the changes made and those that need to be implemented
An alumni scrimmage has zero impact on any of it - none
The upcoming fall scrimmages will not have much more of an impact

The bottom line is that Hopkins is in a boat with alot of teams having to replace alot of players as the extra time runs out. They've been diligent in trying to address the departures in some of the areas. Wait until Spring - won't know umtil you know

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”