UNC 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GaitsRightHand

Re: UNC 2025

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Nice write-up by IL: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... back/64130

Looks like UNC won (unofficially) 18-15. Played without Dom, Duffy, DeMarco, Andrew Pries, and 5-star Harshberger.

"Ryan Levy led the way offensively with five points (3G, 2A), Ty English (2G, 1A) joined freshman Brevin Wilson (3G) with three points as freshman Mason Szewcyk, Stony Brook transfer Nick Dupuis and James Matan all scored twice."

Young guys and transfers are getting some burn with all the returners on the IR, experience in the spring for the young guns will go a long way. Transfers Gianforcaro (Princeton), O'Berry (Harvard) and DuPuis (UMBC) sound like they're all settling in nicely and going to make an impact.
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:20 pm Nice write-up by IL: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... back/64130

Looks like UNC won (unofficially) 18-15. Played without Dom, Duffy, DeMarco, Andrew Pries, and 5-star Harshberger.

"Ryan Levy led the way offensively with five points (3G, 2A), Ty English (2G, 1A) joined freshman Brevin Wilson (3G) with three points as freshman Mason Szewcyk, Stony Brook transfer Nick Dupuis and James Matan all scored twice."

Young guys and transfers are getting some burn with all the returners on the IR, experience in the spring for the young guns will go a long way. Transfers Gianforcaro (Princeton), O'Berry (Harvard) and DuPuis (UMBC) sound like they're all settling in nicely and going to make an impact.
Paul Barton playing LSM is interesting. Biggest question I think is who takes over the 3rd attack role, DuPuis or Matan?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:19 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:20 pm Nice write-up by IL: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... back/64130

Paul Barton playing LSM is interesting. Biggest question I think is who takes over the 3rd attack role, DuPuis or Matan?
Good question. I'd like to see DuPuis- I think a pass first attackman would bode well with Duffy and Dom. It sounds like the freshman Brevin Wilson could be in the mix too. Quite a bit of depth this year, never a bad thing.
CloutierPoutine

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:21 am

Good question. I'd like to see DuPuis- I think a pass first attackman would bode well with Duffy and Dom. It sounds like the freshman Brevin Wilson could be in the mix too. Quite a bit of depth this year, never a bad thing.
I think our ceiling is hire with Matan but I agree and think DuPuis gets the nod. Too much experience and ability to distribute. Not many shots available with Dom and Duffy as your line mates.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

It always amazes me when I hear fans talk about winning a scrimmage......How do you win a scrimmage when coaches are mixing and matching personnel? It's their chance to practice and improve areas. The good ones aren't focused on the score as much as getting their team better and are playing combinations and players who might not see the field in a contested game.....Theoretically, a coach could have fewer points on the scoreboard at the end of a scrimmage but get more out of it than the coach who used more of his starters and experimented less.........
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

blue angels wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:51 am

It always amazes me when I hear fans talk about winning a scrimmage......How do you win a scrimmage when coaches are mixing and matching personnel? It's their chance to practice and improve areas. The good ones aren't focused on the score as much as getting their team better and are playing combinations and players who might not see the field in a contested game.....Theoretically, a coach could have fewer points on the scoreboard at the end of a scrimmage but get more out of it than the coach who used more of his starters and experimented less.........
All I did was re-word the opening sentence of the article :lol: I'm more impressed they put up 18 goals without Dom, Duffy, DeMarco, Andrew Pries, and Harshberger. AKA 2 starting attackman and 2 midfielders that started on the first mid line at some point in their careers + a 5-star freshman.

"WILMINGTON, Del. — In a Top 20 showdown featuring plenty of exciting new transfers and freshmen, it was North Carolina who secured an unofficial 18-15 comeback win vs. Yale from Salesianum’s Abessinio Stadium on Sunday."
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:30 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 7:21 am

I think our ceiling is hire with Matan but I agree and think DuPuis gets the nod. Too much experience and ability to distribute. Not many shots available with Dom and Duffy as your line mates.
Lol thats a good point. Dom and Duffy shoot pretty "freely."

I think you made this point last season, I do see a huge benefit with Matan at attack as he is a big, bodied guy who can match up and muscle some of his ACC defenders. I think he's better as an attackman than a midfielder, think he's just gotten the short end of the stick with the influx of top recruits coming in at attack.

Lots of time til spring. My biggest concern is Duffy coming back 100%. Love his game, hope he doesn't lack too much speed post-injury.
coda

Post by coda »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:19 pm

All I did was re-word the opening sentence of the article :lol: I'm more impressed they put up 18 goals without Dom, Duffy, DeMarco, Andrew Pries, and Harshberger. AKA 2 starting attackman and 2 midfielders that started on the first mid line at some point in their careers + a 5-star freshman.

"WILMINGTON, Del. — In a Top 20 showdown featuring plenty of exciting new transfers and freshmen, it was North Carolina who secured an unofficial 18-15 comeback win vs. Yale from Salesianum’s Abessinio Stadium on Sunday."
I think Duffy will be a great player by the time he leaves UNC. I also do not think he was ready for the amount of pressure and responsibility UNC put on him. He was a very inefficient player. Kind of stats that makes a kid a 5 star in club play, but give you Ls at the college level. Just look at the last 3 games. 9 goals and 2 assists vs Army, UVA, and Cuse. Looks awesome, but then you see the 32 shots and 15 turnovers. I think his ability to grow into a true QB of the offense in 2025 will set the ceiling on UNC’s season
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

A bit surprised to see Szewczyk and English on the first midfield with Wirtheim. I wonder if Johnny Schwarz and Dewey Egan also sat out this scrimmage in addition to Preis and Demarco, because I would expect them to be the next ones on the depth chart this early on.

Interesting that Tyler Schwarz has moved to close defense and Barton to LSM. Barton definitely has the chops to be an elite LSM, but it could leave the close defense a bit vulnerable. Looks like the 3rd close defense spot is between Aasheim/Cellucci/Pietremala.

I think the starting attack come spring will be Pietremala, Duffy, Dupuis. The attack needs a passer to replace McGovern, and Matan suffers the versatility curse by being better suited to midfield than Dupuis.
CloutierPoutine

10 10 2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:37 pm A bit surprised to see Szewczyk and English on the first midfield with Wirtheim. I wonder if Johnny Schwarz and Dewey Egan also sat out this scrimmage in addition to Preis and Demarco, because I would expect them to be the next ones on the depth chart this early on.

Interesting that Tyler Schwarz has moved to close defense and Barton to LSM. Barton definitely has the chops to be an elite LSM, but it could leave the close defense a bit vulnerable. Looks like the 3rd close defense spot is between Aasheim/Cellucci/Pietremala.

I think the starting attack come spring will be Pietremala, Duffy, Dupuis. The attack needs a passer to replace McGovern, and Matan suffers the versatility curse by being better suited to midfield than Dupuis.
I think Egan and Schwarz just got beat out. English has always looked more explosive and is finally getting a shot to run with the first line versus staying a D-Mid. I can see English looking like a poor mans Ryan Conrad. We know what we have with Egan and Schwarz which is not much evident by the lack of Midfield production last year.

Szewczyk is an awesome recruit and was a few pipes away from earning MVP at the All American game. I know that is not all that telling but still, he looked good.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:01 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 10:37 pm A bit surprised to see Szewczyk and English on the first midfield with Wirtheim. I wonder if Johnny Schwarz and Dewey Egan also sat out this scrimmage in addition to Preis and Demarco, because I would expect them to be the next ones on the depth chart this early on.

I think Egan and Schwarz just got beat out. English has always looked more explosive and is finally getting a shot to run with the first line versus staying a D-Mid. I can see English looking like a poor mans Ryan Conrad. We know what we have with Egan and Schwarz which is not much evident by the lack of Midfield production last year.

Szewczyk is an awesome recruit and was a few pipes away from earning MVP at the All American game. I know that is not all that telling but still, he looked good.
All that talent still has Breschi as coach, but pre season is the time to be totally optimistic about the future.
Lax1

Post by Lax1 »

coda wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:35 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:19 pm

I think Duffy will be a great player by the time he leaves UNC. I also do not think he was ready for the amount of pressure and responsibility UNC put on him. He was a very inefficient player. Kind of stats that makes a kid a 5 star in club play, but give you Ls at the college level. Just look at the last 3 games. 9 goals and 2 assists vs Army, UVA, and Cuse. Looks awesome, but then you see the 32 shots and 15 turnovers. I think his ability to grow into a true QB of the offense in 2025 will set the ceiling on UNC’s season
+100 to this, was at a lot of the games last year and the kid is super talented, as high a ceiling as anyone, and also the offense was less effective with him out there. Hard to step into a #1 role as a freshman and there’s a ton to build on. Think he’ll have an awesome career. And hope he figures out the efficiency stuff.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”