MAC 2025

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: MAC 2025

Post by DeepPocket »

Commonwealth team previews:

Widener

Widener finished 2024 just 4-12, edging only Alvernia, Albright and Hood in conference. Beating Hood shows that there is talent on the roster, but for this team to consistently stay off the bottom as this conference improves in lacrosse, they will need to step things up.

Key returners
3 of their top 5 scorers in Buckley (M), Maits (A), N. Knepp (M)
As well as their starting goalie Billie, and entire starting D group of Covington, Townsend and Shannon.

There looks to be 5 grads on the roster for 2025. The above mentioned Maits (A), Buckley (M), Billie (G), as well as non-starter at each middie and attack.

Key losses
Sporer (M)
J. Knepp (A)

Key additions
None that I’m aware of.

Take-aways
This roster, with no incoming transfers, and retaining their FO, goalie, and such a large swath of the existing starters, looks the same as last year. And short of a standout freshman or 2 taking over, it could be a repeat of an underwhelming 2024, only without their leading scorer in Wes Sporer. This team was competing for the third spot in the conference a few short seasons ago. They’ve got to do something here to keep up with the pack in conference.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Alvernia

Like Widener, Alvernia ended their 2024 season 4-12. But unlike Widener, Alvernia has been down on the bottom for some time, and seems to be doing the right things to get better, starting with growing their roster. From just 16 players in 2021, to 22 in 2022 and 2023, 23 last year, and now to 32 for 2025.

Key returners
All of their top 5 scorers return in Patton (M)- junior, McFayden (A)- senoir, Gilman (M)- Grad, McManus (A)- Soph, K.Moats (M)- Soph.
As well as their starting goalie Sabarese, FO, and entire starting D unit.

3 grads will be on the roster for 2025. Graif (M), Gilman (M), and 6th year Dumont (D).

Key losses
None that I’m aware of.

Key additions
None that I’m aware of.

Take-aways
A 4-12 Alvernia, retaining their key players in this portal landscape, and continuing to grow the roster in size to competitive numbers year over year, has put them in an exponentially better place than they were a few seasons ago. They seem to realize where they stand, and appear to be committed to taking the steps necessary to improve the program. Hopefully they can flip a game or two this year, competing for a win in their conference matchup with Albright seems to be a reasonable short term expectation.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Albright

Albright finished 6-11, notching a lone conference win by one goal over Alvernia. A one goal loss to Hood, and two goal loss to Widener show that this team has the ability to compete all the way up to that 5th spot in conference.

Key returners
All of their top 5 scorers return in Van der Horst
(A)- junior, Elko (A)- junior, Burke (M)- senoir, Antonio (M)- junior, Moroney (M)- junior.
As well as their starting goalie McNicholas, FO, and entire starting D unit.

2 grads will be on the roster for 2025- Ferry (D), Orr (D)

Key losses
None that I’m aware of.

Key additions
Matthew Ho (Chatham) SSDM- 55gb 9ct starter 7g 3a
Joaquin Johnson (Mt St Vincent) SSDM
Bryam Ramirez (Albright football)

Take-aways
Like Alvernia, Albright was able to retain their stronger players, even with the portal and their limited prospects of team success. They also were themselves active in the portal, trying to address some transition/defense with the acquired SSDMs. The bottom half of the Commonwealth is more competitive among each other than recent memory, it truly could be anyone taking that 5th spot in conference. It would be great if the conference brought back the 4-5 play-in game to the conference playoffs. That would add some drama to these games.
LILaxGuy08

Post by LILaxGuy08 »

THESE ARE AMAZING!

I’m curious - did you reach out to the current staffs to check about transfer/grad years? You don’t have to reveal your sources but this is so detailed and appreciated.

Interested to see how York rebounds and Stevenson looks this year (they seemed young on offense last year).
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

LILaxGuy08 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:00 am THESE ARE AMAZING!

I’m curious - did you reach out to the current staffs to check about transfer/grad years? You don’t have to reveal your sources but this is so detailed and appreciated.

Interested to see how York rebounds and Stevenson looks this year (they seemed young on offense last year).
Thanks. Glad someone out there is actually reading my ramblings. It’s early in the fall, and thus there could still be some additions/subtractions here and there, but I just figured I would drop what I had at the moment.

I think it’s going to be a great year in the MAC-C. Lots of subplots heading into the 2025 conference matchups.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

really good info. i would say a key returning player for York would be 25 at fogo. the team is going to need him to be successful. i think he will fill in just fine.

interesting that you listed Keller. although i think the goalie position is always going to be competitive
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:48 am really good info. i would say a key returning player for York would be 25 at fogo. the team is going to need him to be successful. i think he will fill in just fine.

interesting that you listed Keller. although i think the goalie position is always going to be competitive
Thanks. Here’s my reasoning on both.

Keller was their starting goalie last year, now back for a grad year. That’s about as key as you can get in my book. There’s a lot of talent at the position, so can someone else win the job between now and Feb? Of course.

As for the FO players; I hope 25 has developed to be even better than Facciponti. The team will need him (or anyone) to step up either way, but he would have to have been a key player last year to be a key returner for me in my analysis.

I appreciate the conversation.
Tacotruck

Post by Tacotruck »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:13 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:48 am really good info. i would say a key returning player for York would be 25 at fogo. the team is going to need him to be successful. i think he will fill in just fine.

Keller was their starting goalie last year, now back for a grad year. That’s about as key as you can get in my book. There’s a lot of talent at the position, so can someone else win the job between now and Feb? Of course.

As for the FO players; I hope 25 has developed to be even better than Facciponti. The team will need him (or anyone) to step up either way, but he would have to have been a key player last year to be a key returner for me in my analysis.

Didn't Keller lose the starting job about halfway through the season, but the guy who replaced him is also returning.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Tacotruck wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 10:34 am
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 1:13 pm

Didn't Keller lose the starting job about halfway through the season, but the guy who replaced him is also returning.
yes. keller lost the starting job during the mustang classic. before conference play. york was right in the middle of a brutal schedule. the starter is a returning junior. york also has a senior goalie that hasn’t seen much time. realistically, three will be competing for that starting role.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:33 am yes. keller lost the starting job during the mustang classic. before conference play. york was right in the middle of a brutal schedule. the starter is a returning junior. york also has a senior goalie that hasn’t seen much time. realistically, three will be competing for that starting role.
Looks to me like he started straight through almost the entire brutal portion of the schedule, with the only difficult game remaining vs Gettysburg (don’t think Denison had a good year). Who got the “start” (first quarter) of the alumni game? (Keller did)

I have to believe he has a strong feeling that he will be the starter, to have stayed playing for a grad year. But I do think anyone can win that job, and they’re all immensely talented. Hope whoever gets the nod plays lights out for the Spartans.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:13 pm Commonwealth team previews:

Widener

Widener finished 2024 just 4-12, edging only Alvernia, Albright and Hood in conference. Beating Hood shows that there is talent on the roster, but for this team to consistently stay off the bottom as this conference improves in lacrosse, they will need to step things up.

Key returners
As well as their starting goalie Billie, and entire starting D group of Covington, Townsend and Shannon.

There looks to be 5 grads on the roster for 2025. The above mentioned Maits (A), Buckley (M), Billie (G), as well as non-starter at each middie and attack.

Key losses
Sporer (M)
J. Knepp (A)

Key additions
None that I’m aware of.

Take-aways
This roster, with no incoming transfers, and retaining their FO, goalie, and such a large swath of the existing starters, looks the same as last year. And short of a standout freshman or 2 taking over, it could be a repeat of an underwhelming 2024, only without their leading scorer in Wes Sporer. This team was competing for the third spot in the conference a few short seasons ago. They’ve got to do something here to keep up with the pack in conference.
Drove through the Widener campus avoiding traffic on 95 after a meeting in Philly yesterday. It still surprises me that as a program, they never rebounded after that upswing from like 1996-2005. Steele had some amazing classes come through. Lockard was not a good steward IMO. They should be raking in talented SEPA recruits.
angryfisherman88

Post by angryfisherman88 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:18 pm

Widener

Key returners

Key losses
Sporer (M)
J. Knepp (A)

Key additions
None that I’m aware of.

Take-aways
Drove through the Widener campus avoiding traffic on 95 after a meeting in Philly yesterday. It still surprises me that as a program, they never rebounded after that upswing from like 1996-2005. Steele had some amazing classes come through. Lockard was not a good steward IMO. They should be raking in talented SEPA recruits.
Widener is a beautiful campus, however it's hard to attract people to the surrounding area.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

angryfisherman88 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:26 am

Widener

Key returners

Key losses
Sporer (M)
J. Knepp (A)

Key additions
None that I’m aware of.

Take-aways
Widener is a beautiful campus, however it's hard to attract people to the surrounding area.
Really? Chester? Get outta here. Funny though, it didn't hurt them for decades. Their athletic programs thrived.
angryfisherman88

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:58 am
angryfisherman88 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:26 am

Widener

Key returners

Key losses
Sporer (M)
J. Knepp (A)

Key additions
None that I’m aware of.

Take-aways
Really? Chester? Get outta here. Funny though, it didn't hurt them for decades. Their athletic programs thrived.
Just saying, that's likely a big factor to many people not wanting to go there. Probably the largest. Other than the fact that coaches from all around the country are picking at the SEPA hotbed, which is probably leaving less talented recruits that Widener can pick at. Just my .02
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Totally. That was tongue in cheek. I grew up close to Chester. It's a hell hole.
angryfisherman88

I hear you, it's a shame that it's a bad area, been to Wideners campus a few times, really nice spot with great facilities and academics. I think another thing that holds them back is their cost of tuition! My son was looking there for lacrosse but ultimately decided against it because of the cost. I guess that's how they keep the campus looking nice and safe though! You get what you pay for.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”