Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 amlmao.
Big Iguana and Peter Brown don't really have too much respect for Virginia. There could be numerous reasons for that. We won't make the same mistake with Loyola, which is very well coached, despite losing a generational player and an AA goalie. They are only a recent annual competitor of ours. This short rivalry is also likely to be replaced again when our more traditional rival, Hop, comes back on the schedule down the road. Enjoy it while it lasts.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Some things were clear to me . Krauss was one of the top attackman in the nation despite being hindered by ankle and UVA improved as season progressed. Championship teams tend to create their own breaks, pressuring teams for sixty minutes broke teams including Maryland and Duke. By season end, they were the best team in nation and their domination of ND in Acc final and Yale in natty left no doubt for me.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

blue angels wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 am
Big Iguana and Peter Brown don't really have too much respect for Virginia. There could be numerous reasons for that. We won't make the same mistake with Loyola, which is very well coached, despite losing a generational player and an AA goalie. They are only a recent annual competitor of ours. This short rivalry is also likely to be replaced again when our more traditional rival, Hop, comes back on the schedule down the road. Enjoy it while it lasts.

If by ‘not too much respect’ you mean I don’t think UVA was or even is the second coming of ‘Cuse ‘90, you’re correct. They had, as many winning teams do, a surplus of fortunate breaks and did not exactly dominate all of their opponents. Also if by ‘not too much respect’ I simply point out scores and W-L’s between these two teams recently, I guess I plead guilty to stating those facts too.

However if by ‘not too much respect’ you’re implying I think UVA isn’t a great team that was easy to cheer for (as I did here at fanlax), you’d be wrong. This team rode hard, had a phenomenal offense, and their defense seemed to get better and better. Also, Rode stepped up when it mattered. I also think they have four players whom I believe are exceptionally gifted players: Moore, Aitken, Conrad, and Rode. I’m sure there are even more, as has pointed out here that perhaps I don’t give the due hosannas to Kraus.

And finally, if it’s ‘not too much respect’ to simply say my team will beat your team next Spring, I’m guilty there too.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

USlax came out with some more rankings. Has Loyola ranked as 14 for 2020 with obvious mentions of losing pat and Jacob. "The gap between Loyola and the rest of the Patriot League will be as narrow as any point since 2015 - the year before spencer's arrival"

I agree with said statement. Many are questioning the ceiling of the program for 2020 given the huge departures
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

It disappoints me that the team that won the tournament got through the quarterfinal due in large part to a goal that didn't actually happen. It has nothing to do with it being Virginia specifically. But it just left a sour taste on the season for me. If that happened in a big money sport it would be an all time controversy and it's kind of been swept under here.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

something i just noticed after rewatching the Penn State game. Wigley has a hell of a first step with a good burst of speed when he dodges north south and even from X. What are thoughts of him possibly be initiating since he has good speed and quickness?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:10 pm UVA reloads year in year out due to the recruits that Starsia mined, and Lars will be mining too. What year will his first full recruiting class come to campus? Lars has done a great job with changing the culture and getting all the men to buy in. Good coach who is spiritually connected to the game and plays it free flow
best guess is the 2020 class will be entirely lars', or almost all.
i found a list of 7 guys (there is probably more by now?) for 2019 and three of them -- bowers, tygh and garno -- are starsia's recruits. the other 4 -- shellenberger, matsui, brennfleck and parker -- are tiffany's, including 3 flips in there.
any others for 2019 i suspect would be lars', and i'm not even sure if those 7 guys are all still coming.

lars did grab some guys out of this year's freshmen, including conner, simmons and famously sleeping in his car for lasalla. schwenk was also a transfer, kology and peele walk ons. probably others.

lars did roll back recruiting timelines, which will probably help their staff short term in knowing the classes and having room, as the date got pushed to jr year recruiting. loyola is probably in a similar position. the greyhounds were probably loving early recruiting as they stayed patient and got their guys. it's maybe critical they stay connected as that top 8-12 or better team now that everyone else is playing in their yard. kids get stars in their eyes about certain types of schools. or maybe they'll just continue to roll with the great rep they have as a team, staff, etc.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 pm
It disappoints me that the team that won the tournament got through the quarterfinal due in large part to a goal that didn't actually happen. It has nothing to do with it being Virginia specifically. But it just left a sour taste on the season for me. If that happened in a big money sport it would be an all time controversy and it's kind of been swept under here.
some folks are doing their part to keep it from being swept under, keep the faith.

hope there's some sympathy left for towson, too.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:01 pm
houndace1 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:10 pm UVA reloads year in year out due to the recruits that Starsia mined, and Lars will be mining too. What year will his first full recruiting class come to campus? Lars has done a great job with changing the culture and getting all the men to buy in. Good coach who is spiritually connected to the game and plays it free flow
best guess is the 2020 class will be entirely lars', or almost all.
i found a list of 7 guys (there is probably more by now?) for 2019 and three of them -- bowers, tygh and garno -- are starsia's recruits. the other 4 -- shellenberger, matsui, brennfleck and parker -- are tiffany's, including 3 flips in there.
any others for 2019 i suspect would be lars', and i'm not even sure if those 7 guys are all still coming.

lars did grab some guys out of this year's freshmen, including conner, simmons and famously sleeping in his car for lasalla. schwenk was also a transfer, kology and peele walk ons. probably others.

lars did roll back recruiting timelines, which will probably help their staff short term in knowing the classes and having room, as the date got pushed to jr year recruiting. loyola is probably in a similar position. the greyhounds were probably loving early recruiting as they stayed patient and got their guys. it's maybe critical they stay connected as that top 8-12 or better team now that everyone else is playing in their yard. kids get stars in their eyes about certain types of schools. or maybe they'll just continue to roll with the great rep they have as a team, staff, etc.
Thanks for the response! i always believed that Loyola didn't do much early recruiting, evidenced by a handful of the recruits in each class verbally commit towards the end of junior year and then sign the NLI that upcoming fall. Only a smalll portion like 1 or two kids seemed to sign early as 8th grade.

The only slight problem for loyola if they did ER was that the studs as 8th graders who were projected to excel on the summer circuit and highschool, were vacuumed up amongst the blue bloods so they eventually lose out. It's only the leftovers of those blue chips that comes to Loyola per ER at least IMHO
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 pm

To some extent I agree. I’d be more animated if I were a Terp. I felt they earned that win, but truth be told, UVA was coming on. I think the egregiousness of the call is what stands out.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:13 pm something i just noticed after rewatching the Penn State game. Wigley has a hell of a first step with a good burst of speed when he dodges north south and even from X. What are thoughts of him possibly be initiating since he has good speed and quickness?

You’ll see a lot of Wigley next year.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Per Chris J of College crosse, former no 61 overall recruit to Navy, Ethan Lamond, just decommitted and is still looking to play college lacrosse.

Syracuse and Loyola expressed big interest in this attack/midfielder. Perhaps Toomey reaches out again to get the guy again
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:03 pm Per Chris J of College crosse, former no 61 overall recruit to Navy, Ethan Lamond, just decommitted and is still looking to play college lacrosse.

Syracuse and Loyola expressed big interest in this attack/midfielder. Perhaps Toomey reaches out again to get him back
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Not certain if anyone here is following the Hounds' trip through Portugal on Instagram or Twitter, but if you aren't, now is a good time to do so.

One thing I wish they'd do is take these trips maybe in the Fall, with the new freshmen. Great bonding exercises.
Hounds01

Post by Hounds01 »

Just found this site, great resource to the ins and outs of the team... Saw the team in action a lot this past year.
Here is my take on the upcoming season:
FOGO: Salvio will only get better, McCarthy helped but he was not a true FOGO
Defense: Will be the strong point, Johnson, Hughes,McNulty,Railey,Wyers at close will be solid.
Goalie: Shafer is the front runner, needs to get into playing shape.
SDM: Solid: Benus, Boland, Rezanka experienced Millhouse,fast, but lacks stick skills
Attack: Lindley and olmstead...See either scanlan moving down or if Pridemore can play he will have the spot and scanlon stays at Middie
Middie: Cox, Swindell, Wigley solid first line, Second line Cain, Bateman did not see a lot of time but both have solid resumes.

Plus add the incoming recruits that have been discussed, i see another successful run in 2020
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Returning a guy like Volante is good for the defense too. Guy has logged lots of game experience.
Add a senior like Corrasco that could step in and add some depth and the defensive unit does look solid.

On offense, dont forget about a kid like Raba contributing either. Good upside on him too.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm Returning a guy like Volante is good for the defense too. Guy has logged lots of game experience.
Add a senior like Corrasco that could step in and add some depth and the defensive unit does look solid.

On offense, dont forget about a kid like Raba contributing either. Good upside on him too.

thatsmell: did I miss that on Volante? Is he returning for another season?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

For anyone perusing this thread: is Volante coming back for another season? I thought he was a senior? I don't think he played his freshman year, potentially allowing him a 4th season to play, but thatsmell's post was the first I had heard of this.

If Volante does come back, tbh, polls have us way too low...even without Volante, we have one of the best defenses in the country next year; with him, forget it, we have the best.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Heard late this spring that a Master's was being considered.
But haven't heard anything definitive since.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:11 am For anyone perusing this thread: is Volante coming back for another season? I thought he was a senior? I don't think he played his freshman year, potentially allowing him a 4th season to play, but thatsmell's post was the first I had heard of this.

If Volante does come back, tbh, polls have us way too low...even without Volante, we have one of the best defenses in the country next year; with him, forget it, we have the best.
According to Loyola's website, he's played 3 full seasons (2017-2019) so it would appear he has one more season left which could be done in a grad year.

A lot of optimism PB about the defense
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”