Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LandM

Re: Navy 2019

Post by LandM »

Noleft - that is too funny on the looks - I did not cut the hair for a year before I landed - barbers are paying to buzz cut it :D. The buzz cut was the only reason I did not punch out after day one - too embarrassed as my chin had more hair;

laxpere - character. Seriously google Fisher DeBerry - to me he is a RW, a guy who has served his time and a guy (diamond) in the rough. Coach had a way of saying things that still are funny today and I can use as party jokes. Halftime at ND, he says, " boys, boys I said we gots to run 100 plays, 100 plays, we run 55, that means we gots to run 55 more" or his favorite saying while trying to teach a lesson, "99 times out of 10". We are students at a premier engineering school :lol: . He was also the guy that put his arm across your shoulder to make sure he taught you a few life lessons. My son had the great pleasure for a year of being coached by Lars Tiffany. I received a few hand-written notes and at tailgates never once talked about lax.......it was always how was my son doing personally.

Sonnyside - keep your head low and have fun man - you only get to do this once. Best wishes to you and your family.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

SonnySide wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:39 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:18 pm Is your first sentence accurate or did you mean to say... That it is really "not that" important?
It is really not that important to have service academy experience (in my opinion)... sorry for the mixup
This is assuming they make an effort to learn
Didn't SonnySide have it right the first time? Two exaggerations?
1) If Wellner leaves, recruits in the pipeline will follow him to the new school;
2) Really important that the next Head Coach has service academy experience.
I agree that both of those statements are exaggerations, especially the first one since the first tenet of recruiting is choose the school, not the coach.

SonnySide, a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. Were my perceptions of the recruiting challenges at USNA consistent with your view? I know that you said that you wanted to go to Navy and be a marine so end of story, but any color on others would be helpful. Did you see that a NAPS 2019 recruit left for SJU last week? Will the next Head Coach use NAPS differently. What is the Lady Mids coach doing that the next Head Coach should be doing, beyond winning?

Looking at the poll to date, I am really surprised a bit surprised that the other candidates haven't garnered more support. I am thinking of replacing ones with no votes (Brisner, Coon and Miles) with some other Head Coaches that have been mentioned, like Amplo.

Looking forward to next year. Onward and upward!

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:32 pm
laxpere wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:16 am Do you think that the recent recruiting effort has been one of the issues?
I wonder what SonnySide thinks since he sounds like a recent players and might have an insider's perspective.
I know you asked another poster this question but I can say with confidence that recruiting has been quite good. We have a mix of JL, Phipps, Wellner, Camposa, and Parks guys on the yard. Look no further than just a couple of those from the NAPS (2018) class that rolled, they often fall like dominoes once one rolls out. My son, who attended NAPS, embraced the grind and fought through the angst that was the Newport dark ages. There is a unique jubilation and a Thank God, as they look at the Claiborne Pell/Newport Bridge in their rear view one last time and yet.....when you ask each of them about it now, they almost miss it, why? b/c they fought through something that was very trying and disciplined, TOGETHER.

There is a strong argument that coming directly to Annapolis is much like going to NAPS, Plebe Summer is much more enduring and mentally challenging than INDOC at NAPS, but nonetheless you only have to do it once if you are a direct admit. I would guess attrition as a direct would be much less, but NAPS is also a place for academics to get in order...tough balance.

I know a few of the players I spoke with are very excited about this fall and pleased about the anticipation of something new and improved. Myself included.
Amplo was hired this AM .. Does Wellner stay or go ?

Joe has amazing LI connections , US National team Assistant , Has a very solid reputation in the coaching community.

FORE

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Tecumseh wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:29 pm
laxpere wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:16 am Do you think that the recent recruiting effort has been one of the issues?
I wonder what SonnySide thinks since he sounds like a recent players and might have an insider's perspective.
I know you asked another poster this question but I can say with confidence that recruiting has been quite good. We have a mix of JL, Phipps, Wellner, Camposa, and Parks guys on the yard. Look no further than just a couple of those from the NAPS (2018) class that rolled, they often fall like dominoes once one rolls out. My son, who attended NAPS, embraced the grind and fought through the angst that was the Newport dark ages. There is a unique jubilation and a Thank God, as they look at the Claiborne Pell/Newport Bridge in their rear view one last time and yet.....when you ask each of them about it now, they almost miss it, why? b/c they fought through something that was very trying and disciplined, TOGETHER.

There is a strong argument that coming directly to Annapolis is much like going to NAPS, Plebe Summer is much more enduring and mentally challenging than INDOC at NAPS, but nonetheless you only have to do it once if you are a direct admit. I would guess attrition as a direct would be much less, but NAPS is also a place for academics to get in order...tough balance.

I know a few of the players I spoke with are very excited about this fall and pleased about the anticipation of something new and improved. Myself included.

Joe has amazing LI connections , US National team Assistant , Has a very solid reputation in the coaching community.

FORE

“T”
Article here
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Congrats on the hire?
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
old salt

Post by old salt »

The ability to win the BE AQ, twice, with a startup team, in a conf which includes Denver, Gtown & Villinaova, as well as the ability to beat Denver.

Contrast that to Navy's PLT record & results vs conf favorite Loyola over that same period.

Wins the AQ, rather than sharing the "regular season championship"'.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I hope Amplo brings his Assoc HC Stephan Brundage * with him :

High scoring Loyola (2004) attackman, with W Genny (upstate NY) recruiting roots.
Assisted Chris Bates at Drexel & Princeton (pairs offense).

* " Brundage’s unique offense has been one of the nation’s most efficient during his time at Marquette, scoring at a high rate and not suffering many turnovers. The Golden Eagles were ranked as high as No. 2 nationally in fewest turnovers per game in 2014 and third in the category among NCAA Division I teams in 2015."
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:51 pm I hope Amplo brings his Assoc HC Stephan Brundage * with him :

High scoring Loyola (2004) attackman, with W Genny (upstate NY) recruiting roots.
Assisted Chris Bates at Drexel & Princeton (pairs offense).

* " Brundage’s unique offense has been one of the nation’s most efficient during his time at Marquette, scoring at a high rate and not suffering many turnovers. The Golden Eagles were ranked as high as No. 2 nationally in fewest turnovers per game in 2014 and third in the category among NCAA Division I teams in 2015."
What's the point of having the fewest turnovers if you don't score goals? Marquette was 43rd in the country in goals per game in 2014 and 29th in 2015. They were 46th this past season.

Amplo is a good hire. Selfishly I hope he is committed to ensuring the Navy Hopkins rivalry continues. Good luck!
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Yes I think this merits congratulations to the USNA, NAAA and the search team. Given Joe Amplo's record, character, work ethic, the other vacancies also looking for a head coach (and most likely also chasing him) and challenges facing the program, this is a win in my book.

From what I hear, I believe he will have a well thought out contract representing the issues on both sides. I do not know however how the other candidates reacted to the offer or even the order of approaching the candidates. That is now all water under the bridge.

Good luck and BEAT ARMY!!
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... d-up/52113

Another reason to be looking forward to next season. Theme of more from less, mainly under the radar players, should play well.

Good luck to Coaches Wellner and Camposa. If they don't stay, they will certainly have excellent opportunities and be attractive candidates for other openings.

Onward and upward. Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

FORE

“T”
I have not personally spoke with Wellner but my LI connections who are CLOSE with him tell me he is pursuing opportunities else where. Personally DO NOT see him returning. But that is second hand.
old salt

Re: Navy 2020

Post by old salt »

Seems like the time to update this thread's title to 2020.

2019 posts still there for posterity.
Bravo 3

Post by Bravo 3 »

Healthy your mid will love playing for coach Amplo ,
Some of the other starters not so much as I’m sure their will be some change after all the talent is evaluated.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:33 pm The ability to win the BE AQ, twice, with a startup team, in a conf which includes Denver, Gtown & Villinaova, as well as the ability to beat Denver.

Contrast that to Navy's PLT record & results vs conf favorite Loyola over that same period.

+1 old salt, exactly right...quite the contrast indeed regarding Navy's PLT & Loyola records during the Sowell era of 2012-2019...

PLT Qualified (6 of 9 teams since 2014)***5 of 8/.625
(DNQ 2012; 2013 & 2019)
PLT Championships Won Overall************0 of 5/.000 :(
PLT Championships Runner-Up**************0 of 5/.000 :(
PLT Games W-L********************************0-5/.000 :(
(Eliminated in RD1 2014; 2015; 2016; 2017; Eliminated 2018 in RD2 after RD1 Bye)
(Eliminated 2X by Army; 2X by Lehigh; 1X by Holy Cross)
(Outscored overall 51-32 or 10.2 to 6.4 avg./gm in PLT play) :shock:

Overall vs. Loyola Games W-L***************1-5/.166…including 18-5 L to #7 Loyola in 2019. :(
(Outscored overall by Loyola 84-44, or 14.0 to 7.3 avg./gm) :shock:

Hoping that Maryland stays on the regular season schedule and that Hopkins get put back on too...

Overall vs. Maryland Games W-L************0-8/.000…including 14-9 L to #3 Maryland in 2019. :(
(Outscored overall by MD 93-51 or 11.6 to 6.3 avg./gm) :shock:

Overall vs. Hopkins Games W-L**************1-5/.166…dropped #16 Hopkins after 2017.
(Outscored overall by Hopkins 63-44 or 10.5 to 7.3 avg./gm)

Record alone vs. Maryland + Hopkins + Loyola (aka, “Top 20” teams from 2012-2019) totals @ 2-18/.100 of the 20-46/.303 overall within vs. Top 30 teams from 2012-2019 to date. :(

"Amp it all up with Coach Amplo!" :!:
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

What? RW wasn't hired? :shock: Coach Amplo, welcome to the second guessing, know-it-all cauldron of vitriol...better win fast!! Heard he wanted out of Wisconsin post-haste! How many NCAA wins does he have? He's coming off a 6-8 season at MU, let's hope he keeps the momentum rolling :roll:
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Bravo 3 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:36 pm Healthy your mid will love playing for coach Amplo ,
Some of the other starters not so much as I’m sure their will be some change after all the talent is evaluated.
What is that supposed to mean??! All we heard is about all the depth that wasn't getting an opportunity to see the field under RS..
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

FORE

“T”
All true, but RS was a coach on LI, was a US National Team assistant, and is very highly regarded in the coaching community(for whatever that crap is worth)...but RS also has taken 3 teams to the NCAA's and has actually won a few games in the NCAA's!!
old salt

Post by old salt »

Speaking of depth & length of the bench :
In 2019, Marquette had 27 players who started a game or played in at least 10 games.
Navy had 19.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

I guess RS just didn't want to play the plethora of talent that Amplo will be re-evaluating!! Oh, does that include the Canadians he played at MU?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:33 pm The ability to win the BE AQ, twice, with a startup team, in a conf which includes Denver, Gtown & Villinaova, as well as the ability to beat Denver.

So Amplo just finished a 6 - 8 season(2018 & 2019 he was 6-8 and 2017 8-8--2016 he was 11-5--but didn't RS take Navy to the quarters of the NCAA that year) and he's a great hire?? Sowell was 6 - 7, his phone should be ringing off the hook given his coaching history!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”