Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by norcalhop »

5 home games is quite lame
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:37 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:29 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:42 pm The team put the schedule on Instagram and there is one small — but perhaps not insignificant — change compared to the one posted online a few days ago. The new one has the game at Towson on 2/11, midweek between the Georgetown home game and the Loyola away game, as opposed to the previous version which has it on 2/4 right after the trip to Denver and before the GTown home opener. That would be a welcome change, but it's unclear if it's a mistake or an intentional update from the one posted already. The website still shows @Towson on 2/4.

https://www.instagram.com/p/DAo7SzqtZLo/
Denver will be a different environment. Staudt was a freshman (and did not play) on the Loyola team that beat Denver in Denver in 2021 so there's at least someone in the lockerroom with some familiarity of the preparation to play there.
https://loyolagreyhounds.com/sports/men ... audt/12335

Looks like Jameson's buckeyes played there too some when he was working in Columbus.
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/ml ... denver/157
We scrimmaged there two years ago
I forget things
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:44 pm I forget things
This has the makings of a good bit.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:29 am Denver will be a different environment.
Aside from playing at altitude - what are your concerns relative to Denver and "environment"?
Denver presents a host of issues - Reasons to be concerned about Denver:
- Unquestionably fitting in some new pieces on the team particularly at attack where you need scoring provided
- Denver is of course an NCAA semi-finalist and returning alot of experience
- First game of the season

I suppose you can argue travel to a time zone 2 hours different but these are young lads and at least the body clock should tell them its later if its an issue - not like travelling east from the West Coast and playing a noon game.

Cold? - could be freezing in Charm City in Feb and Denver could easily have a 50+ degree day - never know anymore.

Stadium? Smaller venue that could be fairly crowded if a nicer day - most of them have played in Klockner/Ridley/Panzer/G'town's home field etc etc.

To me the biggest reason to be worried about Denver is the 23-25 guys that will play for Denver
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Smith, Bauer, Deans named captains

Burke awarded the #19 this year in honor of Jeremy Huber
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

10-2. Film at 11.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Hm...not surprised.
gc1507

Post by gc1507 »

Here are the starters for what it’s worth:

Ayers, Melendez, Chauvette
Collison, Phillips, Bauer
Smith, Deans (I believe), Todaro (Kilrain wasn’t dressed)
Staudt

Staudt was solid, cleared it fast and efficiently. Played the first quarter but didn’t see much rubber thanks to the alumni offense looking like they had a few too many dad sodas and slinging it a little reckless. Webb looked solid as well. Let in 1 goal on an empty net when no one knew where the ball was. Moore played the whole 2nd half and actually made about 4 really nice saves while letting in 1 late to Cole Williams.

The offense looked alright but you could tell they didn’t have the pedal all the way down. The highlight was the first goal with Melendez going BTB from about 8 yards and putting it just under the bar. It was a thing of beauty. The alumni defense however was playing very aggressive. The goalies today for the alumni kept it closer than years past but I’m not worried at all. Schwartzman, Marcille, Gib, and Turnbaugh all played and each made some nice saves (specifically the elder statesman of the group who made at least 4 saves). The game was played with 10 minute quarters and it was running time the whole way otherwise it could have been another dozen goals.

Milliman played a lot of guys (but not all….). We saw a lot of Teachout, Rawson, Crogan, Chick, and Evans in midfield early. Sorichetti and McCleary were noticeable in the second half as well. Not much to say about the defense other than everyone just about played as the ball was never there long enough to get a good look.

Fun day overall and it was nice to see so many legends come back to Homewood! Looking forward to next weekend and also HOB’s film.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

gc1507 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:10 pm Here are the starters for what it’s worth:

Staudt

Staudt was solid, cleared it fast and efficiently. Played the first quarter but didn’t see much rubber thanks to the alumni offense looking like they had a few too many dad sodas and slinging it a little reckless. Webb looked solid as well. Let in 1 goal on an empty net when no one knew where the ball was. Moore played the whole 2nd half and actually made about 4 really nice saves while letting in 1 late to Cole Williams.

The offense looked alright but you could tell they didn’t have the pedal all the way down. The highlight was the first goal with Melendez going BTB from about 8 yards and putting it just under the bar. It was a thing of beauty. The alumni defense however was playing very aggressive. The goalies today for the alumni kept it closer than years past but I’m not worried at all. Schwartzman, Marcille, Gib, and Turnbaugh all played and each made some nice saves (specifically the elder statesman of the group who made at least 4 saves). The game was played with 10 minute quarters and it was running time the whole way otherwise it could have been another dozen goals.

Milliman played a lot of guys (but not all….). We saw a lot of Teachout, Rawson, Crogan, Chick, and Evans in midfield early. Sorichetti and McCleary were noticeable in the second half as well. Not much to say about the defense other than everyone just about played as the ball was never there long enough to get a good look.

Fun day overall and it was nice to see so many legends come back to Homewood! Looking forward to next weekend and also HOB’s film.
Is Kilrain healthy? Also surprised no English on the middle line to start but granted this is a meaningless scrimmage.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:12 pm
gc1507 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 6:10 pm Here are the starters for what it’s worth:

Staudt

Is Kilrain healthy? Also surprised no English on the middle line to start but granted this is a meaningless scrimmage.
No way English isn’t on the top line come spring. They’re probably just bringing him along slowly and deferring to the seniors this early on.

Thanks for the report gc
gc1507

Post by gc1507 »

English wasn’t dressed as well. Nothing noticeable for QK. He has played a lot of lacrosse the last year. It would be reasonable to think they are managing his mileage. There were a good 6-8 players in sweats. I’m sure they’re just not taking any chances. No point in putting someone on the field who is not completely 100% for an alumni game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Thanks for the reports gc and HOB.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 8:40 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:29 am Denver will be a different environment.
Aside from playing at altitude - what are your concerns relative to Denver and "environment"?
Denver presents a host of issues - Reasons to be concerned about Denver:
- Unquestionably fitting in some new pieces on the team particularly at attack where you need scoring provided
- Denver is of course an NCAA semi-finalist and returning alot of experience
- First game of the season

I suppose you can argue travel to a time zone 2 hours different but these are young lads and at least the body clock should tell them its later if its an issue - not like travelling east from the West Coast and playing a noon game.

Cold? - could be freezing in Charm City in Feb and Denver could easily have a 50+ degree day - never know anymore.

Stadium? Smaller venue that could be fairly crowded if a nicer day - most of them have played in Klockner/Ridley/Panzer/G'town's home field etc etc.

To me the biggest reason to be worried about Denver is the 23-25 guys that will play for Denver
altitude?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Yes - I recognized altitude is an important factor but I read "environment" and the reported lack of experience playing in Denver to mean there was something about the venue that made it a factor. For example, the fact that Staudt played there before for Loyola and some Hopkins players scrimmaged there two years ago means nothing in terms of the altitude. The whole team could have played at Denver last year and if they spent the other 364 days at sea level - well aside from knowing what it feels like to be sucking air doesn't really help you prepare beyond what the coaching staff will already be doing.
Barton Stadium is a smaller seating venue and they get good crowds - nothing Hopkins players haven't seen before.

IL did their 10 biggests questions heading into fall ball and they pointed out that Hopkins - by measure of playing time - is losing the greatest number of people (13). Little bit of an over-simplistic analysis but as stated before JHU is clearly working in several pieces - first game away from home against a very good team - well there's your problem not the environment.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:22 pm Yes - I recognized altitude is an important factor but I read "environment" and the reported lack of experience playing in Denver to mean there was something about the venue that made it a factor. For example, the fact that Staudt played there before for Loyola and some Hopkins players scrimmaged there two years ago means nothing in terms of the altitude. The whole team could have played at Denver last year and if they spent the other 364 days at sea level - well aside from knowing what it feels like to be sucking air doesn't really help you prepare beyond what the coaching staff will already be doing.
Barton Stadium is a smaller seating venue and they get good crowds - nothing Hopkins players haven't seen before.

IL did their 10 biggests questions heading into fall ball and they pointed out that Hopkins - by measure of playing time - is losing the greatest number of people (13). Little bit of an over-simplistic analysis but as stated before JHU is clearly working in several pieces - first game away from home against a very good team - well there's your problem not the environment.
I'm not extra worried for this game. It will be as challenging as almost any other game simply because Denver is talented and well coached. Not due to any lack of experience on Hopkins side.

Last year's Denver loss was a debacle of epic proportions. Hopefully people haven't forgotten.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Sean Crogan impressed in the Alumni scrimmage.

https://youtu.be/4ULMNocQMYg?si=1pdLSEspuSrFPh2n
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:07 am Sean Crogan impressed in the Alumni scrimmage.

Awesome video and work as always. I know message board commenters aren't supposed to have hearts but seeing some of those numbers like 40 out there and seeing the different body shapes with the number, just odd. Some of these guys were with us a long long long time and going to take an adjustment not seeing them in those numbers.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 1:07 am Sean Crogan impressed in the Alumni scrimmage.

Thanks as always HOB

Looks like English, Kilrain, Monfort, McKee, Iler, and a few others did not suit up. Curious if any of them play this weekend vs Air Force/NJIT

Collison dodging one-on-one against Peshko with no slide help is a good microcosm of the alumni game.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:01 am

Thanks as always HOB

Looks like English, Kilrain, Monfort, McKee, Iler, and a few others did not suit up. Curious if any of them play this weekend vs Air Force/NJIT

Collison dodging one-on-one against Peshko with no slide help is a good microcosm of the alumni game.
Menendez looks a lot more confident and engaged than he was last spring.

I don't know if Ayers will be the distributor that Angelus was but he's got the scoring knack down. You know every scouting report is going to start with collison especially in crunch time and need other options badly. That would be a fantastic place to be able to go next.

91 seems more multidimensional than degnon.

Hackler has to get gbs like that one at 08 in or it's going to be a long season. Bit of a difference between Big Ten poles and Le Moyne/Dartmouth poles.

Warry Calhoun's size stands out for his position.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 10:44 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:01 am

Thanks as always HOB

Menendez looks a lot more confident and engaged than he was last spring.

I don't know if Ayers will be the distributor that Angelus was but he's got the scoring knack down. You know every scouting report is going to start with collison especially in crunch time and need other options badly. That would be a fantastic place to be able to go next.

91 seems more multidimensional than degnon.

Hackler has to get gbs like that one at 08 in or it's going to be a long season. Bit of a difference between Big Ten poles and Le Moyne/Dartmouth poles.

Warry Calhoun's size stands out for his position.
You got all that from a 4 minute video of a running-clock scrimmage against a bunch of washed-up alums, some of whom were probably drunk?

I hope Melendez has a bounceback season and I think there are reasons for optimism (his performance vs Virginia in the quarterfinals, more time removed from whatever injury may or may not have been bugging him, bigger role/more responsibility in the offense sans Angelus) but one play in an alumni scrimmage is not enough to make any sort of grand pronouncements.

Literally all that matters in the alumni game is that nobody gets hurt. That's it. When the Jays suit up next weekend against actual D1 college teams there may be more to glean, but even then those games will come with the usual fall caveats.

The only thing I can think of that we "learned" from this is that it does appear, for now at least, that Ayers is playing attack and Bauer is playing midfield. That was always the most likely outcome but wasn't a sure thing and still could change before/during the season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”