Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
6ftstick

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by 6ftstick »

CU77 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:55 pm The big jump in the number of homeless occurred after Trump got elected. So I blame Trump.
Is that a joke.

This article was from yesterday and even the LA media doesn't mention Trump

https://ktla.com/2019/06/04/l-a-county- ... n-tuesday/
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Don used to say Baltimore economically speaking was divided into thirds. The middle third paid their own way etc, That balance was up set with the out migration from the ethnic neighborhoods.

Anecdote: I am taking a package to "Little" Melvin Williams who owned a club called the Underground in West Baltimore off Edmondson Ave. I am with another white guy. We drive out there, park and go in. The Club literally comes to a halt. We are the only two white guys in there. The bartender is reaching below the bar. Melvin had a rep as a killer. It's just business nothing personal type. He wont take the package inside the club so we walk out to his car , he opens the trunk to put the package in. It is impossible not to note there is a full armory in there. We go back inside sit down and share lunch and a drink. As we finish Melvin tells us if we are ever in need of help on the westside we can use his name. Melvin later goes to the big house on a Capone type rap. Years later I am scanning channels and see his name on the history channel. They did an hour or him. But more impressively he becomes a semi regular on The Wire. He also becomes the source of a number of story lines.

You didn't mention Johnny Paterakis but he became a billionaire. He developed pier 5 and east Baltimore in that area.

There was a guy in East Baltimore whose name escapes me but he was called Peanut. Psychopath with no conscience.

Liberty Heights and Diner were two movies that did a pretty good job capturing Baltimore at the time of their setting.

I was living in Mt Washington and involved for several years with a girl whose family also lived there. Little Melvin dies last year and her did this year.

Homelessness really jumped under Reagan when funding was cut from programs helping the mentally ill.

I suppose the difference between the 1% who are Dems and those that are Rs is the Rs don't give crap about the homeless other than to criticize others. While the D's give money and time to the issue. Neither one opens their homes. Neither would it solve the problem if they did. I give to a number of organizations and don't invite their clients in to my house. There is a reason why your house is your house and not a center for people with some problem or another. Zoning being one of them.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

New(est) Baltimore Mayor advocates public boxing and fighting rings so youth can settle their “beef” instead of shooting each other.

If he was advocating promoting boxing to instill discipline, hard work, respect etc I would get it.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimor ... e/27696878

The revolving door of incompetent leadership in Baltimore City is shameful.
"If they want to really settle them, we can have them down at the civic center, put a boxing ring up and let them go and box it out. Those kinds of things, you know, and the best man wins and the beef should be over. Those are some of the things I'm thinking about," Young said.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:01 am New(est) Baltimore Mayor advocates public boxing and fighting rings so youth can settle their “beef” instead of shooting each other.

If he was advocating promoting boxing to instill discipline, hard work, respect etc I would get it.

"If they want to really settle them, we can have them down at the civic center, put a boxing ring up and let them go and box it out. Those kinds of things, you know, and the best man wins and the beef should be over. Those are some of the things I'm thinking about," Young said.
It’s ridiculous. How about neighborhood community centers. Used to be a staple of inner city neighborhoods in the 1970’s. Fed funding to supplement these efforts was cut when Ronnie rolled into office. These places closed up, drugs rolled in and now you have what you have. Local community centers would be a good investment in the long run. But you make more money with the private prison system. A buddy mentioned this story to me the other day. Another bad idea.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:17 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:49 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:40 pm https://ktla.com/2019/06/04/l-a-county- ... n-tuesday/ Where are all of those FLP Hollywood folks? Too busy saving the planet to have time to save their own citizens. Maybe Los Angeles should provide free transportation to these people and relocate them to a more hospitable location in Beverly Hills. Sort of like a redo of the Beverly Hillbillies only with crack, heroin and whatever other drug thrown in for good measure. I forget... are these not the same Hollywood know it alls that lecture us on what we all need to do to help our fellow man/woman? :roll: Apparently these greedy little rich Hollywood FLP elitist snobs are not willing to pony up their own cash to help their fellow citizens where they all live way far away from all of the misery and suffering of the common folk. If I remember correctly didn't they put up a fence around the red carpet at the Oscars so the low life scum could not bother them or be seen? :P To quote rrr… EXACTLY.
keep grinding, cradle, it's what you're good at...
I am not grinding. How many hours do you have under your belt helping the people in need in your community? I spent 2 plus years helping my sister and using my Class A license to drive Foodlink trucks on Saturdays to pick up and deliver food. You know NOTHING about me or the values my mom and dad gave me. You only know a very little about who I am and what I believe in... Tell us all how many times you have unselfishly donated your time/money/ expertise in anything to the people in your community that needed your help. I forget... you are a lazy ass little r republican. You probably write out checks and let the other "little" people get the blisters and calluses. In my house growing up MD there were all kinds of people who came in and out of our house. Some of them stayed a couple of nights some stayed a couple of weeks. Every single one of them was fed, given clothes when they needed, hot showers and they all had to listen to my mom give them advice on how to get their lives together.

I was what was called backthen a liberal. I grew up indoctrinated in the same belief system my parents used to survive the great depression. You have absolutely no clue what I am talking about. How many of these Hollywood people have welcomed anyone into their mansions? These are uber rich people with the financial resources to help people and make a difference in their lives. They live in a city where the people living there are falling through every crack there is in the system. How many homeless people do you think Brad Pitt welcomes into his home every day? I am not perfect in many ways but I will be damned if I will allow a condescending jerk such as yourself to define who I am. You know nothing about me, and the more I read what you have to say my suggestion to you would be that you need to re-evaluate a lot of your preconceived notions on how you judge people. My mom would have given the last scrap of food in our house to someone staying there that was hungry. The moral of the story for my mom was always pull your head out of your ass and get your head on strait. So mom and dad in our little old middle class family never turned away someone in need...

So where are you excoriating comments for the uber rich in Hollywood that could write one check and actually make a difference in peoples lives? I forgot... your a little r republican with a very big mouth who has no experience( as far as I can tell) in actually doing one damn thing to help anyone. No it is easier to rip ole cradle than take an introspective look at all the things you have failed at when it comes to getting your hands dirty It takes lava soap to get my hands clean... I am guessing your more of an ivory soap kind of guy. :roll:
So MD not grinding you brother... why are some of these uber rich folks in Hollywood not doing more to help the people in need in their own city? You seem to be more than willing to give them a pass. I am not willing to do so. This is their city, they have the financial resources to do something about it. Yet theyturn their back on their own people and that does not bother you one little bit I may have doubted your chops before MD but you are a bad to the bone little r republican. :roll:
Sheesh, cradle, my 'rip ole cradle' was just to call your rant "grinding"...that's it.
Accurate.

This post is way, way out of line, incredibly personally insulting, and quite uninformed.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:33 am
thatsmell wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:01 am New(est) Baltimore Mayor advocates public boxing and fighting rings so youth can settle their “beef” instead of shooting each other.

It’s ridiculous. How about neighborhood community centers. Used to be a staple of inner city neighborhoods in the 1970’s. Fed funding to supplement these efforts was cut when Ronnie rolled into office. These places closed up, drugs rolled in and now you have what you have. Local community centers would be a good investment in the long run. But you make more money with the private prison system. A buddy mentioned this story to me the other day. Another bad idea.
Pretty sure that Jack wasn't serious; he was responding to the casual, deadly violence of city youth killing each other over perceived slights and beefs, not just drug turf.

But, of course, you're right about community centers. It requires serious investment and long term commitment to make them work, but they really do offer the best hope to anchor communities positively. So much can be done in a community center, from athletic engagement, to the arts, to computer training/access, to food and nutrition, to health and human services.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 am

Pretty sure that Jack wasn't serious; he was responding to the casual, deadly violence of city youth killing each other over perceived slights and beefs, not just drug turf.

But, of course, you're right about community centers. It requires serious investment and long term commitment to make them work, but they really do offer the best hope to anchor communities positively. So much can be done in a community center, from athletic engagement, to the arts, to computer training/access, to food and nutrition, to health and human services.
I agree that community centers, and actual involvement and caring in peoples lives are what's missing from Baltimore City and the population there. Lack of role models and not knowing that there's a better way in life is a real thing.

So Reagan being at fault for this is a skewed, reach of a take. And as aFan likes to mention, it's almost as if the Democrats haven't been in complete control of the city, it's budget, policing, social safety net and development for the past 50 years.

I get that Jack was thinking out loud and not serious in the response. But I think the fact that no one in leadership has any real answers is the problem. The reality is, the violence was through the roof just a few years ago in Baltimore. And it won't get better until Moseby and the Police heal their rift or Moseby is gone. But that wont happen anytime soon.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Typical Lax Dad

Community centers offer a lot of value. Quality of life would be raised for everyone.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tweet!!! If this was in the lacrosse forums, for sure there'd be penalties. In these forums, the players tend to play a metaphorically more physical game. With this said... Stick to the topic, not the people discussing the topic. Attack issues, not the people discussing the issues. (Takes several steps backwards to get off the field before...) Tweeeeet!!!
Typical Lax Dad

thatsmell wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:05 am

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-mayor-proposes-public-boxing-rings-to-reduce-violence/27696878

I agree that community centers, and actual involvement and caring in peoples lives are what's missing from Baltimore City and the population there. Lack of role models and not knowing that there's a better way in life is a real thing.

So Reagan being at fault for this is a skewed, reach of a take. And as aFan likes to mention, it's almost as if the Democrats haven't been in complete control of the city, it's budget, policing, social safety net and development for the past 50 years.

I get that Jack was thinking out loud and not serious in the response. But I think the fact that no one in leadership has any real answers is the problem. The reality is, the violence was through the roof just a few years ago in Baltimore. And it won't get better until Moseby and the Police heal their rift or Moseby is gone. But that wont happen anytime soon.
I am only pointing out what happened across the country. It was more than just Baltimore. Look at most places pre and post 1980. A lot of losers.

“Several Great Society programs were sharply cut. The Community Development Block Grant program, for example, lost two-thirds of its funding.”

Wouldn’t you sign up for Baltimore being 40% “less bad” today?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

No question Ronnie Rayguns broke momentum with his tough guy act. Its amazing how well solutions that worked in white neighborhoods were working in minority neighborhoods until Rayguns and supporters decided it was a bad investment. This is the kind of nonsense, "lizard brain" thinking that got us to where we are. White fear of crime, the "white" solutions doing nothing but feeding the problem. This plays into an interesting article I read over the weekend. The article addressed why the US crime rate has been falling since its highs in the late 80s. It looked into a number of mechanisms to explain the phenomenon. None of the mechanisms could explain it although a number looked promising at first blush only to fall apart as you looked at the data. There was really no conclusion to the piece in regards to what the cause, but instead noted that historically the US has seen a long term decrease in the crime rate since the founding. Suggesting we are likely asking the wrong question, not why is the crime rate down since the 80s, but rather why was their an upward "bump" in the crime rate starting in the late 60s and running through the 80s. This perspective fits my gut feeling given the events I witnessed in my lifetime. Reactive right wing solutions exacerbated the problem.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 am

No question Ronnie Rayguns broke momentum with his tough guy act. Its amazing how well solutions that worked in white neighborhoods were working in minority neighborhoods until Rayguns and supporters decided it was a bad investment. This is the kind of nonsense, "lizard brain" thinking that got us to where we are. White fear of crime, the "white" solutions doing nothing but feeding the problem. This plays into an interesting article I read over the weekend. The article addressed why the US crime rate has been falling since its highs in the late 80s. It looked into a number of mechanisms to explain the phenomenon. None of the mechanisms could explain it although a number looked promising at first blush only to fall apart as you looked at the data. There was really no conclusion to the piece in regards to what the cause, but instead noted that historically the US has seen a long term decrease in the crime rate since the founding. Suggesting we are likely asking the wrong question, not why is the crime rate down since the 80s, but rather why was their an upward "bump" in the crime rate starting in the late 60s and running through the 80s. This perspective fits my gut feeling given the events I witnessed in my lifetime. Reactive right wing solutions exacerbated the problem.
Yep. These centers were in all neighborhoods....not just “black” neighborhoods....
CU77

Post by CU77 »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:43 am
CU77 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:55 pm The big jump in the number of homeless occurred after Trump got elected. So I blame Trump.
Is that a joke.
Yes, it's a joke!

But so is giving Trump credit for stuff like falling unemployment, when the long-term graph looks like this:

Typical Lax Dad

CU77 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:34 pm
6ftstick wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:43 am
Is that a joke.
Yes, it's a joke!

But so is giving Trump credit for stuff like falling unemployment, when the long-term graph looks like this:

6ft may have skipped classes when the teachers talked about Rise over Run.
LandM

Post by LandM »

You all might want to google/youtube Steve Harvey on the Donald trump visit.......he says allot
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:55 pm You all might want to google/youtube Steve Harvey on the Donald trump visit.......he says allot
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ....
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

CU as I expect you know one reason unemployment can drop is people leaving the workforce and not looking for jobs any longer.

So in the early 80s I get a call from a college classmate asking if I thought the Mayor would be willing to host a meeting of the House Ways and Means Committee of which he is a member. My wife at the time held a position in his office. In the event the meeting is set and his testimony is prepared by a very few people. We noted that Reagan’s budget would cut care for the nation’s mentally ill and force them into the street with no recourse for care. We also noted the the Block Grant programs developed under Nixon would be jeopardized and threaten funding for many community based programs. I don’t ho into all of it but basically it all proved out. Block grants were intended to give more control to locals and eliminate reporting requirements and overhead. It was a bit of a shell game but had its success.

Reagan kicked of his presidential campaign in Philadelphia Mississippi. It was a signal to the country given the history of the town. He likes to talk about welfare queens though the data said they were statistically insignificant but making a symbol representative of a segment of the population worked for awhile
CU77

Post by CU77 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:13 pm CU as I expect you know one reason unemployment can drop is people leaving the workforce and not looking for jobs any longer.
Of course one can dig further into the numbers, but let's do it fairly and equally no matter who is president. The point is that there is zero evidence that the economy went through any sort of substantive change due to Trump, something few Trump supporters accept.

I'm not following the point of your anecdote, but I would say that the the severe cuts to inpatient mental care (not entirely due to Reagan, this was a notion in place before he got elected (look up Thomas Szasz), but Reagan was happy to go along) were an unmitigated disaster, and still reverberate in our national homeless population.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Ideas matter and can echo down the years if someone decides to implement them.

I am not sure of your reference: if it references the “welfare queen” looking ahead there was the Dukakis version only it wasn’t welfare in question
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”