NCAC 2025

D3 Mens Lacrosse
oldtimelax

Re: NCAC 2025

Post by oldtimelax »

Kenyon Posts 2025 Schedule...Toughest out-of-conference games include Colorado College, Centre, Dickinson, Swarthmore and Grove City

https://athletics.kenyon.edu/sports/men ... e/schedule
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

oldtimelax wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:13 pm Denison posts 2025 schedule.....very tough...RIT, W&L, JCU, Lynchburg, Salisbury, Amherst and York.

https://denisonbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... edule/2025
Hey Old …. agreed, very tough indeed. I think this slate is even tougher than last year - RIT, W&L, Lynch and York are repeats but Albion, Gettysburg and Transylvania are replaced by Salisbury, Amherst and Elmhurst. And only W&L and Lynchburg are at home!

If nothing else the Big Red will be ready for conference play after that gauntlet!

Go Big Red!
TopperLax82

Post by TopperLax82 »

UINDY 19 Denison 11. This is a down year for the Greyhounds; even without the Denison juniors is anyone surprised by this?
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:01 pm
oldtimelax wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:13 pm Denison posts 2025 schedule.....very tough...RIT, W&L, JCU, Lynchburg, Salisbury, Amherst and York.

Hey Old …. agreed, very tough indeed. I think this slate is even tougher than last year - RIT, W&L, Lynch and York are repeats but Albion, Gettysburg and Transylvania are replaced by Salisbury, Amherst and Elmhurst. And only W&L and Lynchburg are at home!

If nothing else the Big Red will be ready for conference play after that gauntlet!

Go Big Red!
Ned....It looks like that 2025 schedule has been taken down from the web-site, so maybe it's not final and is subject to change. It does seems like Coach Koch is bringing about a sea change with the program. He doesn't seem to be so concerned if Denison isn't ranked early in the season or if Denison is going to be below .500 going into the conference schedule. He's putting the team through a ringer and seeing if he has an NCAA playoff team that can advance several rounds. If those guys can't do it, he will recruit guys who can. Things are about to get really interesting in Granville.
Quill

Post by Quill »

TopperLax82 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:42 pm UINDY 19 Denison 11. This is a down year for the Greyhounds; even without the Denison juniors is anyone surprised by this?

No surprise. A foreshadowing of what is to come this spring!
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

I told my wife I was was going to take a break from the forums but With Denisons schedule released I cant resist.

Looking at Denisons schedule it really makes me start to think what the end goal is in Granville. I do love the challenge and wanting to play the best but lets call it what it is, Denison is an unranked team who is going to get stomped on in most of those challenging matchups if not all. I dont think they had a ranked win last year so Koch decides to go out and schedule half of the top ten teams in the nation. Also hope the assistant coaches can adjust to the high level of competition they will be facing, this aint Transylvania or Randolph Macon and if you cant beat Uindy it is gonna be an interesting season for the Big Red.

I dont think this will help recruiting, it will most likely hurt him in years to come. People want to go and play for a winning program... not a program that schedules tough competition. Again not to be to harsh but what is Koch thinking here... hope im wrong for the sake of the NCAC.

Also took a look at the schedule and I again question his scheduling. It has them playing at Salisbury on the 18th and then at home vs. Amherst on the 20th. That is a longggggggg bus trip, hope they are playing neutral site or I do really feel bad for the kids. I remember that long.... very long bus trip from Ohio to play Salisbury and it is not a fun one especially if you have to turn right back around go back to Ohio to play a powerhouse in Amherst.
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

Prepschoolkid wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:02 pm I told my wife I was was going to take a break from the forums but With Denisons schedule released I cant resist.

Looking at Denisons schedule it really makes me start to think what the end goal is in Granville. I do love the challenge and wanting to play the best but lets call it what it is, Denison is an unranked team who is going to get stomped on in most of those challenging matchups if not all. I dont think they had a ranked win last year so Koch decides to go out and schedule half of the top ten teams in the nation. Also hope the assistant coaches can adjust to the high level of competition they will be facing, this aint Transylvania or Randolph Macon and if you cant beat Uindy it is gonna be an interesting season for the Big Red.

I dont think this will help recruiting, it will most likely hurt him in years to come. People want to go and play for a winning program... not a program that schedules tough competition. Again not to be to harsh but what is Koch thinking here... hope im wrong for the sake of the NCAC.

Also took a look at the schedule and I again question his scheduling. It has them playing at Salisbury on the 18th and then at home vs. Amherst on the 20th. That is a longggggggg bus trip, hope they are playing neutral site or I do really feel bad for the kids. I remember that long.... very long bus trip from Ohio to play Salisbury and it is not a fun one especially if you have to turn right back around go back to Ohio to play a powerhouse in Amherst.
Im colorblind looks like the Amherst game is a neutral site. still will be a tough back to back
Quill

Post by Quill »

Prepschoolkid wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:07 pm
Prepschoolkid wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:02 pm I told my wife I was was going to take a break from the forums but With Denisons schedule released I cant resist.

Im colorblind looks like the Amherst game is a neutral site. still will be a tough back to back
Looks like Amherst is at US Lacrosse Headquarters in Sparks, MD. Perhaps it is the spring break trip this year?
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

Yes I would imagine that would be the Big Red's spring break trip this year. Going to be a lot of time to reflect on that long bus ride back to Ohio!
Quill

Post by Quill »

Prepschoolkid wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:09 pm Yes I would imagine that would be the Big Red's spring break trip this year. Going to be a lot of time to reflect on that long bus ride back to Ohio!

I just hope everyone stays healthy. A tough schedule is one thing, however it is difficult to prepare for so many teams that are way out of one's league.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

oldtimelax wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:35 pm

Go Big Red!
Ned....It looks like that 2025 schedule has been taken down from the web-site, so maybe it's not final and is subject to change. It does seems like Coach Koch is bringing about a sea change with the program. He doesn't seem to be so concerned if Denison isn't ranked early in the season or if Denison is going to be below .500 going into the conference schedule. He's putting the team through a ringer and seeing if he has an NCAA playoff team that can advance several rounds. If those guys can't do it, he will recruit guys who can. Things are about to get really interesting in Granville.
Hi Old …. I noticed that it was removed as well but they posted what I think is the same schedule on the team Instagram account so I think it’s set. Koch is definitely taking a more aggressive scheduling approach no doubt. But I think that can backfire on you when your roster isn’t prepared for the immediate challenge as we saw last year. This is now Koch’s team and his players so he better start getting some results in these games or he’ll lose the support of the Caravana faithful- if he hasn’t already.
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

Ned I love your take. This is his first year with "his" players and Its time for koch to either put up or shut up. I dont think hes helping himself at all scheduling what could be debatably one of the hardest schedules in the country.

Side note couldnt sleep last night and had a epiphany.... can he beat W&L????? During the Caravana era this was always an exciting game but I feel like the big red would come out on top more often than not. Since he has taken over he has only beat them once and it was 2022 when he inherited a solid team from Caravana. If this keeps me up at night it has got to do a number on him... cant beat the hand that fed you for so many years. Time will tell and the clock has officially started.

The Caravana faithful will be watching closely this year and the odds are not in Koch's favor :twisted:
twohandsonestick

Post by twohandsonestick »

Nosey Ned wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:53 am

Go Big Red!
Hi Old …. I noticed that it was removed as well but they posted what I think is the same schedule on the team Instagram account so I think it’s set. Koch is definitely taking a more aggressive scheduling approach no doubt. But I think that can backfire on you when your roster isn’t prepared for the immediate challenge as we saw last year. This is now Koch’s team and his players so he better start getting some results in these games or he’ll lose the support of the Caravana faithful- if he hasn’t already.
I'd imagine Denison fans are saying they need at least two wins out of those ranked games this year + the NCAC championship otherwise I suspect it is time to move on...
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

twohandsonestick wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:06 am

Go Big Red!
I'd imagine Denison fans are saying they need at least two wins out of those ranked games this year + the NCAC championship otherwise I suspect it is time to move on...
To be clear I’m not suggesting Koch is on the hot seat yet. I think Carney-DeBord will have way more patience than the “Caravana faithful”. I am saying it’s time to see some improvement and re-entering the Top 10-15 would be a good place to start at a minimum.

On a side note … Coach Caravana will be inducted into the BIG RED HOF in early November- congratulations coach WELL DESERVED. I also see that an Alumni game has been scheduled for that weekend. Will be interesting to see the participation level at the game because the support for Coach C portion of the weekend is very high I’m told. Will be interesting to see how many of Caravanas guys have been “recruited” to participate in the Alumni game. Would be great to see the likes of Rooney, Pittroff, Waxter, Butler and Duhoski et al. on the field together again.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Oberlin posts their 2025 schedule. Looks like a repeat of last year -- no spring trip, but with an extra side visit to Oswego on March 1st. Brrrrr!
Yeomen went 10-6 last year and 4-4 in the NCAC. They have a decent young coach and a roster with 50 players. It will be interesting to see if they continue to improve or fall back into the second tier again when John Carroll joins the league next season.

https://goyeo.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule/2025
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

twohandsonestick wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:06 am

Go Big Red!
Denison posted a great win over then #2 Gettysburg in 2023. Really should have beaten W&L each of the last two seasons. They led 10-9 after three quarters last season before falling 13-11. The BR led the Generals 8-4 at halftime in '23, but scored only one goal in the second half to lose 12-9. Similar story in the Babson playoff game where Denison led the #10 team in the country 8-7 after three quarters before falling 12-10. They have shown that they can play with the big dogs, but just maybe not quite the biggest dogs like RIT and Salisbury. With the assistant coaching refresh and excellent returning players all over the field, I personally like the tough OOC scheduling for this season.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Really don't understand why some Denison alumni are so down on Koch and continue this Caravana worship. Koch has seen what other schools that have great academics are doing -- Tufts, Amherst, W&L, Swarthmore, Babson -- and is playing a tough schedule against the best in order to take Denison places it hasn't been before.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

oldtimelax wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:20 pm Really don't understand why some Denison alumni are so down on Koch and continue this Caravana worship. Koch has seen what other schools that have great academics are doing -- Tufts, Amherst, W&L, Swarthmore, Babson -- and is playing a tough schedule against the best in order to take Denison places it hasn't been before.
Hey Old …. I understand your comment to a point - but Koch would have to take the Big Red to the #1 ranked team in the country and to the National Championship game to take them where Caravana hadn’t been able to take them. Caravana led them to a one goal loss against eventual National Champions Salisbury in the Final Four in 2017 and to as high as #2 ranked team in the country in 2018. Those 2016-2019 teams were the high water mark for Denison men’s lacrosse. That’s why his players still support him! Koch hasn’t even taken his version to a Top 10 finish.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Caravana's best years came after he had over a decade as head coach, so I'd say Koch deserves several more years at a minimum to prove himself. Yes, last year's schedule didn't do the Big Red any favors by opening against RIT; starting the season against an OAC team or two probably would have been a better way to go. Yet, Denison did win the conference, snagging the AQ (something Caravana didn't do every year). Hopefully, a variety of NCAC teams continue improving. The conference will definitely benefit from the entry of John Carroll combined with Hiram's departure. For better or worse, Caravana is gone; Tommy Thomsen was a terrific coach, and he's now long gone. Life and Denison lacrosse continue.
Prepschoolkid

Post by Prepschoolkid »

https://x.com/upstreamlax/status/1843747568066687444

Got a good laugh out of this one, NCAC teams know the struggle of traveling to the east coast to play some good competition. Maybe Granville, Delaware, Gambier should invest in smaller airports. It would be good for the school, community, businesses :lol:

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”