Navy Lacrosse v.2020 - Head Coach Poll ended due to Joe Amplo's hiring. Thanks for your input.

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Vote for Next Navy Lacrosse Head Coach

Poll ended at Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Birsner
No votes
Amplo
12%
Torpey
No votes
Nadelen
2%
Phipps
7%
Reppert
23%
Tillman
9%
Toomey
No votes
Wellner as interim HC for 2020 season
30%
Other
16%

Total votes: 43

laxpere

Navy Lacrosse v.2020 - Head Coach Poll ended due to Joe Amplo's hiring. Thanks for your input.

Post by laxpere »

Please vote for whom you would like to see hired as the next Navy Lacrosse Head Coach.
On June 3rd, Coon and Miles didn't have any votes so I replaced them with Amplo and Torpey.

On June 5th, Joe Amplo was reportedly hired as the next Head Coach at Navy Lacrosse. Two votes (one for Amplo and one for Tillman) were entered after the announcement).
Final update with 41 votes in prior to the initial reporting of Joe Amplo's hiring:
Wellner 13
Reppert 10
Amplo 4
Phipps 3
Tillman 3
Nadelen 1
Other 7

No votes for Brisner, Toomey, and Torpey in the final tally. Coon and Miles also didn't receive any votes through June 3rd.

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Last edited by laxpere on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 am, edited 13 times in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
gymman1031

Re: Navy Lacrosse v.2020 - Head Coach Poll

Post by gymman1031 »

I personally would "like" to see Tillman or Toomey. But I doubt either comes. I am going with JL Reppert, my favorite of the "realistic" candidates.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

For those who vote "Other", mind sharing which coach that is?
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:51 pm I personally would "like" to see Tillman or Toomey. But I doubt either comes. I am going with JL Reppert, my favorite of the "realistic" candidates.
It's a confidential poll so don't feel the need to declare unless you want everyone to know. If you do vote other and care to add the name in a reply that would be great, but not necessary.
Last edited by laxpere on Fri May 31, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

laxpere wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:12 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:51 pm I personally would "like" to see Tillman or Toomey. But I doubt either comes. I am going with JL Reppert, my favorite of the "realistic" candidates.
It's a confidential poll so you don't feel the need to declare. If you do vote other and care to add the name in a reply that would be great, but not necessary.
Gotcha! Totally understand!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If Wellner is the guy he should not get stuck with an interim tag. Cornell did that to Milliman & it did nothing to help stability or recruiting.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:45 pm If Wellner is the guy he should not get stuck with an interim tag. Cornell did that to Milliman & it did nothing to help stability or recruiting.
I defer to you, but I thought that it was effective because Milliman was the recruiter and the recruiting pipeline was minimally impacted.
Did Cornell lose part of the entering Class of 2022 because of the interim tag? Also, I thought that the team rallied on the field for Milliman and turned it around in 2018 after a tough 2017 season.

Does Cornell place many players in investment banking/private equity jobs? Asking because of Gray.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

We don't know how the pipeline was impacted (or at least I don't), but what is the speech Milliman was supposed to give to recruits during his interim year? Come to Cornell and play for me and my assistants, or whoever replaces me (and maybe hires new assistants) after this year? It made no sense to me. And it's quite rare, so rare that I know of no other similar situation in any sport at any school ever. (Situation being: previous coach resigns at the end of the regular season, assistant coach named interim HC, AD postpones search for a year for no particular reason.) I thought (and still think) that the Cornell AD should have either (1) just named Milliman the new HC, or (2) run an immediate full search (with or without Milliman as a possible candidate).

The Navy AD has announced that he's running an immediate search, so that already differs from the Cornell situation.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Honestly, they should look at Petro. I doubt he would leave Hopkins because that would be the unloyal thing to do but I dont think many Hopkins fans would be sad to see him go. His style of play and rough demeanor(i dont mean in a bad way) would play well with the type of recruits Navy can bring in.

My other suggestion would be Belichek. I mean if you are going to go after Tillman might as well go after him even if hes never coached lacrosse, he did play it. He's also said at different points that one job he wish had was head coach for Navy football...so maybe lacrosse.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Why would Tillman or Toomey leave perennial national championship contender programs for Navy? Not to knock Navy, but recruiting is harder and the program is a step down in terms of success from Maryland and Loyola. Tillman, Tiffany, and Tambroni left Ivy league schools for $$ , facilities, and easier recruiting. Navy brings similar issues with the lax program. It's just not a step up for either coach.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Chousnake wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:02 pm Why would Tillman or Toomey leave perennial national championship contender programs for Navy? Not to knock Navy, but recruiting is harder and the program is a step down in terms of success from Maryland and Loyola. Tillman, Tiffany, and Tambroni left Ivy league schools for $$ , facilities, and easier recruiting. Navy brings similar issues with the lax program. It's just not a step up for either coach.
loyola alum but calling us a perennial national contender is a tiiiiiny bit of a stretch. Toomey doesn't get the best recruits and even with spencer/stover being as excellent as they are, the team unfortunately wasn't able to bring home a trophy in their 4 years
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

It will be Birsner eventually.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:29 pm It will be Birsner eventually.
One of Birsner's players at NAPS ended up back with him as an Asst at VMI & is moving up the coaching food chain. ...small world.
https://liupostpioneers.com/staff.aspx?staff=397
His brother played for Tillman at Navy & ended up on his staff at MD.
https://www.umterpslax.com/zach-schroeder
Navy Lax was once a band of brothers.
Looney, Lennon, Dingman, DiNola, Durkin, Nech & others I missed.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

College Crosse posted comments about the different head coach search. Joe Amplo was named a candidate for Navy Lacrosse and reportedly spent the weekend in Annapolis.

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/6/4/ ... tony-brook
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Amplo could be a good hire. He definitely knows how to do more with less. And, at Navy, he might have a bit more talent.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:05 pm apparently, amplo was hired.

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/06/05/nav ... o-we-hear/

That’s correct pending finalization of contract .

JL interviewed with CHT while Tillman , Toomey and Corrigan all decline an interview.

Where does this leave Wellner and Rob ? Will they stay or will they go ?

FORE

“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Tecumseh wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:21 pm
admin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:05 pm apparently, amplo was hired.

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/06/05/nav ... o-we-hear/

That’s correct pending finalization of contract .

JL interviewed with CHT while Tillman , Toomey and Corrigan all decline an interview.

Where does this leave Wellner and Rob ? Will they stay or will they go ?

FORE

“T”
Just posted on Navy Thread. I am hearing Wellner is leaving. DO not know about Camposa.
Eagle Feather

Re: Navy Lacrosse v.2020 - Head Coach Poll ended early due to Joe Amplo's naming. Thanks for your input.

Post by Eagle Feather »

Navy fans:

This message comes from a Marquette fan who is devastated to have lost our coach, but so happy for the entire Navy family for what you have gained. You will love Joe Amplo and his family! Joe is all about character and integrity and get ready for his passion, it is off the charts. He is tough, demanding and honest. He will care for your boys and the institution and I know will make the folks who hired him look good. For a little insight into Amplo here is a short film done on what he built at Marquette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvaKtP-kUhY
molo

Re: Navy Lacrosse v.2020 - Head Coach Poll ended early due to Joe Amplo's naming. Thanks for your input.

Post by molo »

Looks like an excellent hire.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”