media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
OCanada

Re: media matters

Post by OCanada »

Trump is the Presidential candidate of the GOP and if elected will be the “leader of the free world” and will take an oath to support a Constitution he has already decided to violate. He has made no bones about not liking NATO and tge EU and the US l. There is nothing more important much ss YA tries to pretend otherwise he is what he supports regardless of what name is used. He has trouble keeping things straight.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CNN now calling out Harris and her mistruths and deception.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/14/politics ... index.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:46 pm CNN now calling out Harris and her mistruths and deception.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/14/politics ... index.html
Not possible. You chaps told us CNN isn't centrist, and are in the bag for Dems.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:35 pm And how many times do YOU need to be told, what value is it to lambast Trump..this place is already riddled with that already, non stop
So how come this line of thinking isn't applied to the rest of us? You, Cradle, Kram, and OS hammer the Dems all day everyday.

So....got an excuse for why you ask me and others to hit the Dems, when you cats have it more than covered?

Or does this logic only run way, like so many things......?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:52 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:35 pm And how many times do YOU need to be told, what value is it to lambast Trump..this place is already riddled with that already, non stop
So how come this line of thinking isn't applied to the rest of us? You, Cradle, Kram, and OS hammer the Dems all day everyday.

So....got an excuse for why you ask me and others to hit the Dems, when you cats have it more than covered?

Or does this logic only run way, like so many things......?
Asked and answered, just read back to most recent reply on the recent Crenshaw post. You guys are doing a great job presenting the case on lies and misleading truths by all the R’s. Just keeping you guys, and this place, fair and balanced. 😉
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:14 pm Asked and answered, just read back to most recent reply on the recent Crenshaw post
Yes. We don't get the same rules you do, I get it.

The day you start ripping on Republicans is the day you'll see me say one word of criticism about Dems. We can both play this game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:49 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:14 pm Asked and answered, just read back to most recent reply on the recent Crenshaw post

The day you start ripping on Republicans is the day you'll see me say one word of criticism about Dems. We can both play this game.
Your clique have SET the rules in here, and continually pile on like sharks with blood in the water when one of us posts something. Have you not noticed there are only ~3 people remaining that post regularly that differ from the perspective of your team; you all are running everyone away.

Then, the rebuttal, is that you can't post negative comments about your side, until someone else does....that's like the talk you hear when you are a 3rd grader about "if johnny jumps off a bridge are you". You clearly are not petulant, but the recent comment sure comes off that way.

And as Kismet replied.... when I then present you clear info on lies by KH from CNN (which must have been hard for them to do), after we were all told countless times it was only Trump that lied in the debate...we now have to give him some slack, b/c Trump lies even more. Followed by a closing response that showed he understood the premise of my post, the situation we are in with two shi((y candidates, and a perspective to looking forward.

Not attacking, trolling, pivoting or playing games.

Maybe now that CNN called out Harris for not being truthful, you can, or do you first still need to wait for me? ;)
~Livy

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:37 am Your clique have SET the rules in here, and continually pile on like sharks with blood in the water when one of us posts something.
As I understand it, the owner/admin of this site sets the rules here not the posters. Maybe complain to him and not to your fellow posters, perhaps?

Somebody must have contacted him as he just posted his usual warning post "No personal attacks" in one recent thread
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:37 am

Your clique have SET the rules in here, and continually pile on like sharks with blood in the water when one of us posts something. Have you not noticed there are only ~3 people remaining that post regularly that differ from the perspective of your team; you all are running everyone away.

Then, the rebuttal, is that you can't post negative comments about your side, until someone else does....that's like the talk you hear when you are a 3rd grader about "if johnny jumps off a bridge are you". You clearly are not petulant, but the recent comment sure comes off that way.

And as Kismet replied.... when I then present you clear info on lies by KH from CNN (which must have been hard for them to do), after we were all told countless times it was only Trump that lied in the debate...we now have to give him some slack, b/c Trump lies even more. Followed by a closing response that showed he understood the premise of my post, the situation we are in with two shi((y candidates, and a perspective to looking forward.

Maybe now that CNN called out Harris for not being truthful, you can, or do you first still need to wait for me? ;)
Hang on, did you actually read the article?

I did.

And it sure does Not say that Harris lied in the debate, much less anything remotely akin to Trump’s performance at the debate.

Do you agree?

I think it’s great that CNN fact checks campaigns as a non partisan observer. That’s part of the job of journalists.

But let’s not confuse the differences between these candidates.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:10 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:37 am

Hang on, did you actually read the article?

I did.

And it sure does Not say that Harris lied in the debate, much less anything remotely akin to Trump’s performance at the debate.

Do you agree?

I think it’s great that CNN fact checks campaigns as a non partisan observer. That’s part of the job of journalists.

But let’s not confuse the differences between these candidates.
I just told some 20 something year olds in the office that they are growing up in the age of false equivalencies. I encourage them to do their homework and use their brains.
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Smartmatic v. Newsmax:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/26/busi ... trial.html

"The latest case tied to false claims made on cable news about the 2020 U.S. presidential election is headed to trial.

On Thursday, jury selection is set to begin in a defamation case brought against the right-wing news channel Newsmax by Smartmatic, an election technology company. The case mirrors the blockbuster Dominion Voting Systems v. Fox News lawsuit, which was settled last year for $787.5 million minutes before opening statements were to begin.

Smartmatic, which was little known before 2020, provided voting services in just one county in California during the election. But it, along with Dominion, was pulled into a cascade of conspiracy theories about election fraud promoted by supporters of President Donald J. Trump on cable networks and elsewhere as they tried to cast doubt over the election results.

In a lawsuit filed in Delaware Superior Court in 2021, Smartmatic accused Newsmax, a pro-Trump cable channel based in Boca Raton, Fla., of trying to entice viewers from its rival, Fox News, by airing reports linking Smartmatic to baseless conspiracy theories that it had helped swing that election for Joseph R. Biden Jr. by switching votes.

Newsmax has said that it was merely covering allegations made by Mr. Trump and his allies over the election results and that the lawsuit “threatens freedom of speech and freedom of press.”

A Smartmatic spokesman, Tom Becker, said in a statement that Newsmax’s “repeated lies” were the central issue of the lawsuit.

“We look forward to presenting evidence of its wrongdoing, questioning top Newsmax executives about its coverage, and ask the jury to hold them liable using whatever remedies are allowed by law,” Mr. Becker said.

The case is the latest legal test over how accountable media outlets should be when knowingly spreading falsehoods. A similar Smartmatic lawsuit against Fox News is expected to go to trial in New York in 2025, and the election company settled a separate claim against One America News Network in April.

Likewise, Dominion has pending cases against Newsmax and One America News Network, as well as Mike Lindell, the My Pillow founder and election denier; Sidney Powell, a former lawyer for Mr. Trump; and the former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, who advised Mr. Trump.

In the Newsmax case, Smartmatic must convince a jury that the cable channel acted with actual malice — that is, either by knowingly allowing false claims about Smartmatic’s role in the election to be aired in multiple reports in November and December 2020 or by recklessly disregarding the facts.

Smartmatic has pointed to claims made by Newsmax hosts, including Chris Salcedo, who told his audience that “they’ve got a backdoor software built in,” and Michelle Malkin, who claimed that Smartmatic was linked to Dominion through “a labyrinth of shell companies.” Smartmatic said Newsmax had also republished falsehoods that Mr. Trump’s allies stated on Fox News, including Ms. Powell’s claim that Smartmatic was created in Venezuela “at the direction of Hugo Chávez.”

The same judge in the Fox-Dominion case, Eric Davis, is overseeing the Smartmatic trial in Wilmington, Del. Opening statements are set to begin on Monday, and the trial is expected to last up to four weeks. Witnesses are expected to include Christopher Ruddy, the chief executive of Newsmax, and Sean Spicer, Mr. Trump’s former White House press secretary, who hosted a talk show on the channel.

On Monday, Judge Davis dealt a blow to Smartmatic by ruling that the company could not pursue punitive damages if a jury found in its favor. (Mr. Becker, the spokesman, has declined to specify how much Smartmatic is seeking in damages.) The judge rejected the company’s claim that Newsmax had acted with “express malice,” or with a deliberate intent for harm, toward it.

Other pretrial rulings have been more favorable to Smartmatic. Judge Davis has said statements by Newsmax claiming Smartmatic altered votes were “factually false” and not a matter of dispute.

“The reports and investigations conducted by multiple state and federal agencies since the election universally come to the same result,” Judge Davis wrote.

He also said he would limit evidence introduced to the jury by Newsmax about a Justice Department investigation and resulting August indictment of three current and former Smartmatic executives, including the president, Roger Piñate, who is also a co-founder. The charges relate to an alleged bribery scheme to obtain a contract for the 2016 Philippine elections. Lawyers for Newsmax had argued that the investigation and indictments had far more of an effect on Smartmatic’s reputation and business losses than news reports by the network.

“Newsmax’s reporting did not cause Smartmatic damages, and after extensive discovery Smartmatic has offered no evidence of such claimed damages,” a Newsmax spokesman, Bill Daddi, said in a statement this week.

He added: “Newsmax is disappointed the Delaware court is allowing a company with such a sordid reputation to pursue a defamation claim against a media company for covering public allegations made about it.”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Newsmax agrees fo settle the Smartmatic lawsuit over its lies. Fox ended up having to pay $780 million for similar crimes Right wing media corruption
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

NYT

Endorses Harris. I am mildly surprised gjven the way they have fakled in their coversge of Trump.

This should not have a paywall. https://archive.ph/5vkQN
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

OCanada wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:28 pm NYT

Endorses Harris. I am mildly surprised gjven the way they have fakled in their coversge of Trump.

It's all about personal qualities, which should be the ONLY voting criteria this year - for any office on the ballot. The economy, the border, crime, foreign policy, etc., all should take a back seat. This isn't just about Trump, it's about any person on a ballot that's on the Trump Train. Sadly 35-40% of the voters think the same way as Trump. The rest of us need to show up in droves.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:54 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:28 pm NYT

It's all about personal qualities, which should be the ONLY voting criteria this year - for any office on the ballot. The economy, the border, crime, foreign policy, etc., all should take a back seat. This isn't just about Trump, it's about any person on a ballot that's on the Trump Train. Sadly 35-40% of the voters think the same way as Trump. The rest of us need to show up in droves.
Exactly, that distills it to its essence.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster - does this seem suspect to you? https://x.com/BrendanCarrFCC/status/1840760199801397549
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:03 am Seacoaster - does this seem suspect to you? https://x.com/BrendanCarrFCC/status/1840760199801397549
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: More RightWingBS........ IHeartRadio ring a bell?

They own 4 FREAKING TIMES as many radio stations. Did you or this guy care...... or notice? You sure as sh*t didn't complain about it.

Wanna take a wild guess as to why this Carr guy is bringing this up? It's REAL hard to figure out......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:12 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:03 am Seacoaster - does this seem suspect to you? https://x.com/BrendanCarrFCC/status/1840760199801397549

They own 4 FREAKING TIMES as many radio stations. Did you or this guy care...... or notice? You sure as sh*t didn't complain about it.

Wanna take a wild guess as to why this Carr guy is bringing this up? It's REAL hard to figure out......
I'm asking about FCC decision, not the purchase. Stop making everything about you, partisan, and a fight. My god.
~Livy

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 10:23 am

I'm asking about FCC decision, not the purchase. Stop making everything about you, partisan, and a fight. My god.
You could follow and use some of your own advice YA. :oops: :oops:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

If he is right -- that the FCC did not go through the process correctly to allow the transfer -- then it will be appealed into the Courts and overturned. My guess is he is not entirely correct.

The vote was along party lines, 3-2 vote by FCC commissioners. The FCC formally approved the plan which will allow for the bankruptcy judge overseeing the bankruptcy of the owner of the stations, Audacy, to move forward with the previously agreed to terms likely making the Soros Fund a controlling stake holder in the enterprise. One of Carr's contentions is that this transaction is a violation of federal law limiting foreign ownership of US broadcast licenses.

The law in question is the Communications Act. Under the law, it states that a broadcast license may not be issued for any application of which more than 20% of the equity is directly owned of record or voted by non-US citizens, a foreign government, or an entity organized under the laws of a foreign company. There is also a secondary foreign interest provision that capped a broadcast entity owned within a holding company to 25%.

There are two potential answers to Carr's contention the FCC’s approval and the judge’s decision to allow for this to go through are illegal. The first is that while George Soros, a Hungarian, was the founder of the Soros Fund in 1970, the Soros Fund isn’t a foreign enterprise. It’s headquartered in New York with an American, Dawn Fitzpatrick, as the CEO of the enterprise. For this reason, there’s not necessarily a foreign ownership question that’s in play. But to the extent that there may be foreign interest concerns, even then it still may not be a violation.

Until 2013 there were explicit rules against foreign ownership of American broadcast licenses. In 2013, in a unanimous vote by the FCC, that changed. Under the FCC’s rule change they stated that all foreign ownership stakes would be taken into consideration on a case-by-case basis to determine if the ownership change would suit the public interest, taking into account national security considerations. With the decision, the FCC stated it’s possible for approval of up to 100% aggregate foreign ownership.

So...I'm thinking that Commissioner Carr is part of the clarion call of whining by people like Ted "Go Ahead, Mock My Wife" Cruz and James "Gomer" Comer.

The right owns plenty of platforms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... cast_Group

Return to “POLITICS”