Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BlueJaySince1947

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

As would I...
But FIVE home games...poor Gebby must be spinning in his grave.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:55 pm @ Denver
@ Towson
vs. Georgetown
@ Loyola
vs. UNC
vs. UVA
@ Cuse
@ Navy
vs. Rutgers
@ Michigan
vs. OSU
@ PSU
@ Maryland

Oh brother this stinks. 5 home/8 away and no games at Homewood after April 5th. Not a favorable schedule and not very fan friendly either. Thought they might find a way to flip one of these to at least make it 6 home and 7 away, but guess not.

On the bright side, the Jays will be betting favorites in something like 10 of the 13 games including the first five.
Even with the large losses other teams experienced, I am skeptical Hopkins will be favored to win in 10 of 13 games.

The schedule is not good for a team that lost as much as the Blue Jays. I suspect this Hopkins team will struggle to even make the NCAA tournament. Tough schedule.

Always hopeful that Hopkins will win a national championship, but that probably won’t be this season.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

norcalhop wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:42 pm
gc1507 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:36 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:51 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:30 pm Lacrosse fall podcast:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EmKvgW3Xqj4
Some tidbits in here for those starved for info on the newcomers. PM's preferred euphemism for someone putting themselves in a position to earn playing time appears to be "in the mix."

Mckee - "in the faceoff mix, recovering from offseason surgery, not full go yet"
Weishaar - "option at both short stick and long stick"
Staudt - "right in the goalie mix, competing, elevating the play, going to be a tough net to win"
Hackler and Monfort - "high compete level, motor, athleticism, experience, veteran presence is really important"
-----
Hobot - "competing really hard"
Cook - "bright future ahead"
DiCicco - "fitting right into the mix, competing"
Eye - "doing well"
McCleary - "showing a lot of ability in the middle of the field"
Crogan - "good head on his shoulders, makes good decisions, quick, gets the ball moving"
Kaestner - "as hard of a worker as I've seen in awhile, obsessive"
Burke - "pretty impressive in the weight room"

English is "pretty close to full go" following his injury last year, which is obvious to anyone who has seen the fall ball highlights. Looks terrific.

No new teams on the spring schedule.

Oct. 5 - alumni game
Oct. 13 (Sunday) - vs. Air Force/NJIT at Homewood
Oct. 26 - vs. Delaware at Homewood
The goalie position appears to be more open than we initially thought. Word is that it was not the Jays staff that went searching for Staudt, but that he called them seeing if they had room for him. It definitely is a different situation from last year when they did everything they could to bring Ierlan in. I truly believe we could see Webb in the crease come February. He has been featured a ton on their IG account (take that for what it is though...). Personally I do not care who is manning the pipes as long as they get the job done!

As to the schedule, I cant believe we only have 5 home games. Truly a shame. Thankfully it will be easy to see them live against Loyola and Towson locally but of course I'd rather view them at Homewood.
Would be shocked if it's not Staudt.
It will be Staudt.
And he should be in the AA conversation this year, barring a total meltdown.
gc1507

Post by gc1507 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:31 am [quote=norcalhop post_id=583080 time=<a href="tel:1727466168">1727466168</a> user_id=1771]
[quote=gc1507 post_id=583027 time=<a href="tel:1727458583">1727458583</a> user_id=5746]
[quote=HopFan16 post_id=582950 time=<a href="tel:1727441486">1727441486</a> user_id=293]
[quote=OCanada post_id=582871 time=<a href="tel:1727397015">1727397015</a> user_id=651]
Lacrosse fall podcast:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EmKvgW3Xqj4
Some tidbits in here for those starved for info on the newcomers. PM's preferred euphemism for someone putting themselves in a position to earn playing time appears to be "in the mix."

Mckee - "in the faceoff mix, recovering from offseason surgery, not full go yet"
Weishaar - "option at both short stick and long stick"
Staudt - "right in the goalie mix, competing, elevating the play, going to be a tough net to win"
Hackler and Monfort - "high compete level, motor, athleticism, experience, veteran presence is really important"
-----
Hobot - "competing really hard"
Cook - "bright future ahead"
DiCicco - "fitting right into the mix, competing"
Eye - "doing well"
McCleary - "showing a lot of ability in the middle of the field"
Crogan - "good head on his shoulders, makes good decisions, quick, gets the ball moving"
Kaestner - "as hard of a worker as I've seen in awhile, obsessive"
Burke - "pretty impressive in the weight room"

English is "pretty close to full go" following his injury last year, which is obvious to anyone who has seen the fall ball highlights. Looks terrific.

No new teams on the spring schedule.

Oct. 5 - alumni game
Oct. 13 (Sunday) - vs. Air Force/NJIT at Homewood
Oct. 26 - vs. Delaware at Homewood
[/quote]

The goalie position appears to be more open than we initially thought. Word is that it was not the Jays staff that went searching for Staudt, but that he called them seeing if they had room for him. It definitely is a different situation from last year when they did everything they could to bring Ierlan in. I truly believe we could see Webb in the crease come February. He has been featured a ton on their IG account (take that for what it is though...). Personally I do not care who is manning the pipes as long as they get the job done!

As to the schedule, I cant believe we only have 5 home games. Truly a shame. Thankfully it will be easy to see them live against Loyola and Towson locally but of course I'd rather view them at Homewood.
[/quote]

Would be shocked if it's not Staudt.
[/quote]

It will be Staudt.
And he should be in the AA conversation this year, barring a total meltdown.
[/quote]

Staudt is a good goalie, no denying that. Started the last 2 seasons for an average Loyola team and most likely kept them from finishing worse than they did. But all I’m saying is that I believe it’s closer than you think. Webb is no slouch and his teammates love the guy.

You have to feel for a guy who was thought to inherit the job after Marcille graduated only to have two graduate transfers come in over back to back seasons. Makes you wonder what coach will do over the next few seasons. He has landed a few big name GK recruits in Cook and Lamitie. I’d love to see one of them actually develop and lock down the spot for a few seasons so we can stop the carousel of “mercenaries.”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Look - I have nothing against Sgt. Friday but the calendar would suggest he might not have been brought in to be the absolute successor to Marcille.
The fact is - as I have detailed a couple times - Milliman found himself in quite a pickle with goalies. First, the Shadyside goalie in Petro's last class was dismissed from School in a non academic/non athletic issue and then Lawas decommitted. Inside Lacrosse has Webb's commitment verified on 7/31/20 so just before the start of his senior year not junior. So it has some flavor of needing a body and thinking he could be a later bloom. I feel for these kids who put in all that effort - all that work - and the sheer fact that you are on a roster in the mid-high 50's means roughly half will not see a whole lot of the field.

When people talk about a tight goalie competition I was sort of hoping Cook was on the other end.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Adam Corkhill just committed

Paul VI Catholic High School (VA)
Midfield
6-0 | lbs

https://www.instagram.com/p/DAee3OTSnHa ... dwbTJpYg==
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:01 pm Adam Corkhill just committed

Midfield
6-0 | lbs

Is this real? It says John Hopkins and then class of 2030? what?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:32 pm

Midfield
6-0 | lbs

Yes it’s true. He will graduate Hopkins ‘30
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:49 pm

Midfield
6-0 | lbs

Got mixed up and thought he was a sophomore for a second. Makes sense.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Midfield
6-0 | lbs

4-star on IL and their 7th ranked SSDM. Seems like he's got good size, also a football player. Angelus' alma mater.
gc1507 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:27 pm You have to feel for a guy who was thought to inherit the job after Marcille graduated only to have two graduate transfers come in over back to back seasons. Makes you wonder what coach will do over the next few seasons. He has landed a few big name GK recruits in Cook and Lamitie. I’d love to see one of them actually develop and lock down the spot for a few seasons so we can stop the carousel of “mercenaries.”
Barring someone of All-American caliber unexpectedly entering the portal for next year, I have a strong suspicion the goalie battle for 2025 will be among guys currently on the roster + Lamitie. Webb didn't suit up in 2021 or 2023 so it's possible he gets a redshirt and returns. For this year — they're trying to win games. I think Staudt ultimately will give them the best chance to do so, but if it ends up being someone else, they'll go with whoever that is.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

JT Mathura just committed
Landon School (MD)- Long Stick
6-2 | 190lbs
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

First Jamaican Blue Jay (dual US-Jamaican citizenship). Played on Jamaica’s World team.
gc1507

Post by gc1507 »

Saturday’s weather looks fantastic. Does anyone know what time the alumni game is supposed to start? I’m sure it has been posted on here before, and I’m pretty sure I read it, but I can’t seem to remember and 51 pages is a lot to go through. Thanks in advance!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gc1507 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:14 pm Saturday’s weather looks fantastic. Does anyone know what time the alumni game is supposed to start? I’m sure it has been posted on here before, and I’m pretty sure I read it, but I can’t seem to remember and 51 pages is a lot to go through. Thanks in advance!
2pm
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:17 pm
AreaLax wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:49 pm

Midfield
6-0 | lbs

Got mixed up and thought he was a sophomore for a second. Makes sense.
He is a sophomore. He'll graduate from PVI in 2026 and Hopkins in 2030...and man does that make me feel old.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:55 pm @ Denver
@ Towson
vs. Georgetown
@ Loyola
vs. UNC
vs. UVA
@ Cuse
@ Navy
vs. Rutgers
@ Michigan
vs. OSU
@ PSU
@ Maryland

Oh brother this stinks. 5 home/8 away and no games at Homewood after April 5th. Not a favorable schedule and not very fan friendly either. Thought they might find a way to flip one of these to at least make it 6 home and 7 away, but guess not.

On the bright side, the Jays will be betting favorites in something like 10 of the 13 games including the first five.
It is the reverse of last year's schedule - except we gave up a home game against SU to play down in NC (never understood the reason for that one). But, someone should have maybe thought about the OOC schedule and realized that every other year the B1G only gives us 2 conference home games. That should be addressed moving forward.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:45 pm He is a sophomore. He'll graduate from PVI in 2026 and Hopkins in 2030...and man does that make me feel old.
He's a junior now right? Classes have started

In terms of the schedule - the BIG part is of course fully cooked. SO to get a 13 game schedule to 6 or 7 home games (depending upon the year) you're going to have to likely visit an OOC apponent away twice consecutively to get it there as I don't see any opponent on that schedule saying - sure we'll come to Homewood twice in a row. I don't imagine we'll be playing Denver for the rest of our lives - so maybe that's where you'll get it back - or add another team for 14 games so you get at least 6 home games.

I agree that the neutral site with Cuse was puzzling - I understand Cuse lost a Hop home game in '21 because of the pandemic but such is life. Maybe that was the time to do a switcheroo - play the Orange away last year and get them on an odd year Homewood visits
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:42 pm I don't see any opponent on that schedule saying - sure we'll come to Homewood twice in a row.
Other teams do this all the time. Syracuse hasn't played at West Point in, what, 20 years? UNC has gotten High Point to Chapel Hill three of the last four years. Plenty of examples of this. A lot of smaller programs would rather play the game on the road than not at all. One of these teams can play at Homewood twice in a row once in a blue moon. Make it up to them down the line. If they say no, you find someone who will (Albany, Drexel, High Point seem like good candidates). Only 5 home games is really unfortunate for the fans.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I'm not saying it doesn't happen - Albany always came down to Homewood for example. Smaller programs want the exposure. I am just thinking out loud that none of the OOCs are smaller opponents. You don't really want to replace any of the OOCs - 2 extremely local rivalries (Towson/Loyola) 4 pretty historic rivalries dating back to at least the 1980s if not close to 100 years - UVA/Syracuse/UNC/Navy. The two obvious candidates are Georgetown and Denver and neither of those programs would be incredibly inclined to give up a home game just to make Hopkins schedule more home/away balanced. As I said before - Hopkins Denver is a match-up that appears to be the likely candidate to someday go away because of travel but if these same 13 games are on for 2026 - the easiest solution would be for JHU to do a switcheroo with someone - have 7 homes games in 2026 instead of 8 and then go from there.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:04 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:42 pm I don't see any opponent on that schedule saying - sure we'll come to Homewood twice in a row.
Other teams do this all the time. Syracuse hasn't played at West Point in, what, 20 years? UNC has gotten High Point to Chapel Hill three of the last four years. Plenty of examples of this. A lot of smaller programs would rather play the game on the road than not at all. One of these teams can play at Homewood twice in a row once in a blue moon. Make it up to them down the line. If they say no, you find someone who will (Albany, Drexel, High Point seem like good candidates). Only 5 home games is really unfortunate for the fans.
Don't get me started on Cuse/Army. Army beats them regularly in the dome, but Cuse won't even consider playing at West Point. Cuse always plays a very lopsided and home-heavy schedule. Would be hard for Hop to do the same though, given the nature of our schedule.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”