NIL, Title IX, Power 5, future of Lax et al

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: NIL, Title IX, Power 5, future of Lax et al

Post by 1766 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:53 am They do. Just joined the NIL store. What they don’t have is Austin like money that you noted went to all sports at BIG and ACC schools
It's called the Alston Fund.

Football money obviously drives the availability to release such funds. It's not crazy money and varies from sport to sport but I am sure the athletes appreciate having $5K - $6K for walk around money. Hopkins might not have Alston money but the alums have a nice little NIL war chest to entice players with.

Head coaches are general managers now, at least at the schools that have these tranches of funds available. What funds are available and what funds do you want to invest in which players is a lot to consider in roster construction.

Not sure how this is all sustainable over the long haul. Not all schools are going to have access to this type of funding which is fine for sports like football because there will be enough that will, but lacrosse? At some point there will be a handful of schools willing to invest at levels it takes to compete and the rest will fall by the wayside. That's not great for the sport.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Failure of memory. Agree generally.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

““I have decided to utilize my redshirt year and will not be playing in any additional games this season,” Sluka wrote on social media. “I committed to UNLV based on certain representations that were made to me, which were not upheld after I enrolled. Despite discussions, it became clear that these commitments would not be fulfilled in the future. ”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... l-dispute/
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Michigan $3 million

In another corner of the internet, controversial Barstool Sports founder and CEO Dave Portnoy took to social media on Thursday to offer up to $3 million dollars yearly to top (and eligible) quarterbacks who commit to his alma mater, Michigan. Four years ago, if a coach bought too many cheeseburgers for a starving player on his roster, the NCAA could sanction him. Now, you have sports media company owners offering suitcases of cash to student-athletes.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:57 am Michigan $3 million

In another corner of the internet, controversial Barstool Sports founder and CEO Dave Portnoy took to social media on Thursday to offer up to $3 million dollars yearly to top (and eligible) quarterbacks who commit to his alma mater, Michigan. Four years ago, if a coach bought too many cheeseburgers for a starving player on his roster, the NCAA could sanction him. Now, you have sports media company owners offering suitcases of cash to student-athletes.
Maybe the Cuse 1990 championship trophy will reappear if the NC$$ finally figures it out...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Maybe the Cuse 1990 championship trophy will reappear if the NC$$ finally figures it out...

That would be a subject worth digging into.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

I have read rumors of top quarterbacks getting seven figures, but this is the first I have seen verified. If he is doing it for umich, I assume someobdy is doing it in the SEC.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:50 pm

I have read rumors of top quarterbacks getting seven figures, but this is the first I have seen verified. If he is doing it for umich, I assume someobdy is doing it in the SEC.
WSJ article, seemingly very well sourced, has reported average for SEC starting QB is over one million with a number at 2 or 3 million. Which is a lot more than Brock Purdy makes
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thanks. I didn't remember specific names, schools, and amounts before.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I heard a scary scenario regarding the NCAA lawsuit and the settlement. supposedly, schools that plan on participating in any D1 athletics including lacrosse would have to set aside 20 million for NIL up front. I have spoken to a few college coaches and this would be a change from what they had heard but it is not out of the question and if this is true how many non-power 4 teams would have the money to do this? I am assuming that the Ivies could do this but could Scared Heart or Jacksonville do this. I would imagine that the Big East could because of Basketball. What about the Patriot league? I am assuming that Army, Navy and Air Force get exemptions. Not sure this is true but if it is it could have a big impact on Non-Revenue D1 sports including lacrosse
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

There are two kinds of endowment: restricted and non-restrictive, they would not be able to use restricted funds. The issue would by how much of the non-restricted endowment would the $20 million represent and what is the schools view of that kind of set aside. Getting the IRS Form 990 could probably tell you how large the non-restricted fund would be.
CHRLAX

Post by CHRLAX »

The IVY league only reluctantly even has sports. Look at what they did during Covid. No way they are dipping into their own pockets to pay athletes.

Post by 1766 »

The NCAA's decision isn't about NIL. It's about compensating the athletes via employment. NIL is completely different and will be a potential additional source of income for athletes should this pass.

How lacrosse and other sports not basketball and football fit into this remains to be seen. There is an easily seeable scenario where schools just opt out and play club sports. The Big Ten and Sec are meeting in real time. What they ultimately decide to do via partnership and potentially leaving the NCAA all together (very likely) will change college sports forever.

The following article sheds some light on the mindset of each of the conferences. They want to lion's share of the revenue being generated, and they are going to get it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... artnership
Last edited by 1766 on Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Asgot wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:50 am I heard a scary scenario regarding the NCAA lawsuit and the settlement. supposedly, schools that plan on participating in any D1 athletics including lacrosse would have to set aside 20 million for NIL up front. I have spoken to a few college coaches and this would be a change from what they had heard but it is not out of the question and if this is true how many non-power 4 teams would have the money to do this? I am assuming that the Ivies could do this but could Scared Heart or Jacksonville do this. I would imagine that the Big East could because of Basketball. What about the Patriot league? I am assuming that Army, Navy and Air Force get exemptions. Not sure this is true but if it is it could have a big impact on Non-Revenue D1 sports including lacrosse
This makes ZERO sense. Outside of the ACC and B1G and maybe the Ivies, what schools received a significant portion of revenues that can be tied to NIL? As good as some athletes are, how many of them actually can say their NIL was used to generate $$$ for their respective colleges? It is a tiny %. A settlement under those terms would cause numerous sports to be dropped. If, as some have pointed out, that schools/conferences can opt out of the settlement, I doubt any would voluntarily agree to this.

On top of this, how would they justify schools with a single D I program coming up with $20mm?? Hobart, and Hopkins (doubt Mike Bloomberg wants any of the $1 Bn going to a settlement for men's lax) in men's lacrosse. RIT and Union men's and women's ice hockey are D 1, but don't bring in anything near the revenues to justify making that kind of payment.
Last edited by oldbartman on Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1766 »

Zero do do with NIL directly. Its about compensating athletes directly via employment.

The legal system has already ruled NIL is legal.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

1766 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:34 pm Zero do do with NIL directly. Its about compensating athletes directly via employment.

OK. Then why the settlement if it is only tangent to NIL? Isn't that the basis of the settlement?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Asgot wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:50 am I heard a scary scenario regarding the NCAA lawsuit and the settlement. supposedly, schools that plan on participating in any D1 athletics including lacrosse would have to set aside 20 million for NIL up front. I have spoken to a few college coaches and this would be a change from what they had heard but it is not out of the question and if this is true how many non-power 4 teams would have the money to do this? I am assuming that the Ivies could do this but could Scared Heart or Jacksonville do this. I would imagine that the Big East could because of Basketball. What about the Patriot league? I am assuming that Army, Navy and Air Force get exemptions. Not sure this is true but if it is it could have a big impact on Non-Revenue D1 sports including lacrosse
You heard wrong.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:46 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:34 pm Zero do do with NIL directly. Its about compensating athletes directly via employment.

OK. Then why the settlement if it is only tangent to NIL? Isn't that the basis of the settlement?
the nil parameters in the settlement (and there are some) is the nc$$s way of bringing some of it in-house. both (supposedly) to be able to help athletes and contruct better oversight. the judge didn't love how it was done up, so she sent the parties back with directions. about nil primarily. the house settlement is actually 3 different lawsuits.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the house settlement does have quite a bit to do with nil. the revenue sharing part isn't actual employment, the nc$$ is still fighting that angle, though we can wink wink at it.

and the legal system actually didn't rule on nil or that it was legal or illegal. but they did recommend that the nc$$ give up the ship. which they did.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”