Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MDstateMan

Re: Recruiting

Post by MDstateMan »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:51 am
MSLAX5 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:34 am Anyone else see the piece on Portnoy offering up 3mil a year and another guy 1Mil for a Michigan QB?
He will just market them and make his $ back.
This is where the landscape will change. Problem is I can see wealthy Lacrosse Alums doing this.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/352 ... -each-year
This is ruining college sports.
I think the real damage occurs when the non-powerhouse schools that don't have that money to throw around, their fanbases become disinterested or lose their loyalty to a team that has 40% roster turnover.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

MDstateMan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:15 am
MSLAX5 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:34 am Anyone else see the piece on Portnoy offering up 3mil a year and another guy 1Mil for a Michigan QB?
This is where the landscape will change. Problem is I can see wealthy Lacrosse Alums doing this.

I think the real damage occurs when the non-powerhouse schools that don't have that money to throw around, their fanbases become disinterested or lose their loyalty to a team that has 40% roster turnover.
I don't think we're quite there yet, but now you've got players quitting on their team because of some shady deal that didn't go through. One thing that was put into the "language" in the House vs NCAA case was anyone who has giving over 50k to a school CANT give NIL deals. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of ways around this... Football (and probably basketball) should just create their own semi-pro league so the rest of the sports don't suffer. Wild Wild West
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:28 am
MDstateMan wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:15 am

I don't think we're quite there yet, but now you've got players quitting on their team because of some shady deal that didn't go through. One thing that was put into the "language" in the House vs NCAA case was anyone who has giving over 50k to a school CANT give NIL deals. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of ways around this... Football (and probably basketball) should just create their own semi-pro league so the rest of the sports don't suffer. Wild Wild West
Spidey a school offered my friend’s son 300k, a house for four years and a car to decommit. And it’s a non revenue sport. Another one got the same type deal for football which is more common. Both schools were Power 5 though. Funny thing a lot aren’t looking at, is taxes. I believe they have to pay taxes on that.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:46 am Spidey a school offered my friend’s son 300k, a house for four years and a car to decommit. And it’s a non revenue sport. Another one got the same type deal for football which is more common. Both schools were Power 5 though. Funny thing a lot aren’t looking at, is taxes. I believe they have to pay taxes on that.
WOW!

But yes, they absolutely have to pay taxes. Random thought, how many kids are going to get whacked by the IRS in a few years for not paying up lol.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Many indents have predicted that there will eventually be one major football conference consisting of the top 40-50 teams and that conference will regulate football and only. Most have ignored what that will mean to all the other sports, but some think he leagues will remain somewhat consistent as they are now. Who knows? No one as folks also do not know what the impact of having semi-pro collegiate teams will mean to fan support.
Dadlax121

Post by Dadlax121 »

New to the forum but lurking and back reading a while. As we watch classes develop- at what seems to be a faster pace than some prior years (more commitments in Sept)- I see classes sizes from some often unmentioned names larger than I would have expected. Oregon, ASU, VA Tech, Louisville stick out to my eye as forming most of their classes before September is complete. Looks like Pitt might be getting there too. Anything to be made of this?
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

Best way to predict class size is looking at current classes.
For example for 2025 class look at current senior class.
For 2026 class look at current junior class. Give or take the commit class size usually similar.
Dadlax121

Post by Dadlax121 »

Class size I understand, but are schools I mentioned typically this active in early September? I could be wrong but I though they were generally late September/early October grabbing the recruits still available?
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

Dadlax121 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:04 am New to the forum but lurking and back reading a while. As we watch classes develop- at what seems to be a faster pace than some prior years (more commitments in Sept)- I see classes sizes from some often unmentioned names larger than I would have expected. Oregon, ASU, VA Tech, Louisville stick out to my eye as forming most of their classes before September is complete. Looks like Pitt might be getting there too. Anything to be made of this?
The schools you mentioned all have higher than average turnover rates than most.
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

Dadlax121 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:53 am Class size I understand, but are schools I mentioned typically this active in early September? I could be wrong but I though they were generally late September/early October grabbing the recruits still available?
It has been faster than 2025 class and the 2025 class was faster than 2024. So things are speeding up. I remember 2 years ago they were trying to slow the process down, but think coaches missed out on players and back to going fast again.
This site is pretty good.
https://public.clublacrosse.org/commitments
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

Dadlax121 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:53 am Class size I understand, but are schools I mentioned typically this active in early September? I could be wrong but I though they were generally late September/early October grabbing the recruits still available?
As mentioned by others, it seems things are moving a bit faster than usual this. clublacrosse.org has a nice table showing when schools usually get there verbal commits dating back 5 or 6 years.
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:46 pm
Laximus wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:05 pm
Codylax14 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:15 pm was wondering what the scholarships looked like this year with all the changes. Schools like Pennst JMU umass uconn colorado denver or even schools like duke or hopkins..... I know some of the big schools are really giving a lot? How is it looking across the board. Did the new pending rules really make that big of a difference?
IMHO, I think the coaches are willing to speculate a bit on the legal outcome and offer another 1.5-2.5 scholarships to the 2026 class. The net affect to the 2026 class will be an additional 10%-40% more than normal offered to each kid in each Tier of the recruiting class. One must keep in mind the fact that most coaches only view the top 3-5 players in each class as potential on field contributors. If they ever get meaningful minutes from the bottom players in a class that is viewed as icing on the cake. That being said, I suspect a standard offer to the top Tier (2-3 players) in a class moves from 50%-80% to 70%-100%. 2nd tier (4th-6th) in a class moves from 20%-40% to 30%-50%. Third Tier (7th+ players) in the class from 0%-20% to 0%-30% scholarship. It is extremely unlikely that many programs if any at all are offering full scholarships to kids that in all lilklihood are never leaving the practice field. I stated in another post that if the "House" resoultion ends up at the 38 roster spots and scholarships that the affect will land at about 16-22 scholarships total scholarships per team or 1-3 extra per class for WLAX. The benficiaries will be men's football who will move from 85 to 105 scholarships. For conversation purposes, lets say in a best case scenario for womens sports they they add the 20 to football and another 20 mens scholarships to the non revenue generating sports. The AD in turn will then have another 20-40 womens scholarships to divide up between their womens sports. IMO I think the number is closer to just he 20 football but how many to each sport will depend on what M&W sports a particular school wants to concentrate efforts on. Don't be surprised to see some currently suported sports disappear or change to club only so they can stack up full scholarships to entire rosters on certain sports. Just my 2 cents.
My niece recently committed to a top 20 school. The coach guaranteed the $$ amount for her first 2 years, but said some scholarship $$ may be converted to NIL$$ depending on outstanding legal issues.
Would you be kind enough to share what % this equated to or if it was in line with previous years or the "new normal" indicated above?
COlaxdad

Post by COlaxdad »

Dadlax121 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:04 am New to the forum but lurking and back reading a while. As we watch classes develop- at what seems to be a faster pace than some prior years (more commitments in Sept)- I see classes sizes from some often unmentioned names larger than I would have expected. Oregon, ASU, VA Tech, Louisville stick out to my eye as forming most of their classes before September is complete. Looks like Pitt might be getting there too. Anything to be made of this?
My daughter happens to be in talks with 2 of the schools you mention here and they've told us that they, and many others, have had their "tier 1" offers expire and are evaluating the top of their "tier 2" recruits through President's cup. We've been told specifically that in other years we would have been in that initial group but this year they want to see more of her for final decisions. Each of our options have indicated that they are leaving 3-4 spots open through November.

We've never been through this before so it's been shocking, disappointing, exciting, just about emotion under the sun.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

COlaxdad wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:48 pm
My daughter happens to be in talks with 2 of the schools you mention here and they've told us that they, and many others, have had their "tier 1" offers expire and are evaluating the top of their "tier 2" recruits through President's cup. We've been told specifically that in other years we would have been in that initial group but this year they want to see more of her for final decisions. Each of our options have indicated that they are leaving 3-4 spots open through November.

We've never been through this before so it's been shocking, disappointing, exciting, just about emotion under the sun.

It is not a fun process. For the kids or the parents. Also from what I’ve been told, the coaches hate it as well.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:15 pm

It is not a fun process. For the kids or the parents. Also from what I’ve been told, the coaches hate it as well.
If I heard "enjoy the process" one more time last fall I would have killed someone. And we were done by now last year! So many ups and downs! Good luck!!
COlaxdad

Post by COlaxdad »

I'll say that it has been harder on us as parents than our daughter I think. You do everything you are told, think you are prepared, have positive interactions and feedback from your club coaches and recruiters, and then BAM! Reality hits you at how cut throat everything is, seeing players get selected that you can't figure out why, etc.. We've been lucky enough to have several D2 options if the D1 options don't pan out, but it's all far different than we expected and sooo stressful.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

COlaxdad wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:23 pm

I'll say that it has been harder on us as parents than our daughter I think. You do everything you are told, think you are prepared, have positive interactions and feedback from your club coaches and recruiters, and then BAM! Reality hits you at how cut throat everything is, seeing players get selected that you can't figure out why, etc.. We've been lucky enough to have several D2 options if the D1 options don't pan out, but it's all far different than we expected and sooo stressful.
Good luck to you guys. Remain patient. Hard to do but that’s the key.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Transfers are now part of most programs recruiting. Sounded like the classes were going to be smaller at 7-10 for the 2026's. I see a lot of classes at 8 now, BC at 10 may be the outlier. Don't know exactly where each school wants to be, but 8 looks like the norm. Schools can get very selective once they get to 8. It's common to get 6-9 total transfers a year, that includes incoming and outgoing. Incoming transfers should be early contributors and/or starters.

There is a home for everyone, but don't get caught waiting on an offer from a school. If you don't have any offers keep actively persuading other schools. Schools will string you along, it's how the game is played. Getting that first offer is the best leverage you can get and often the only way to see if another school is really interested. It's not fun, but real-life lessons.
laxfanrs

Post by laxfanrs »

Is it possible that many schools will not take a lot of 27s next year? Will the recruiting classes will be in the 6-8 range maybe even lower because many schools have taken a lot of 26s. Also I think compared to others the 27 class besides goalies is pretty weak.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Laximus wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:20 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:46 pm
Laximus wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 5:05 pm
Codylax14 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 2:15 pm was wondering what the scholarships looked like this year with all the changes. Schools like Pennst JMU umass uconn colorado denver or even schools like duke or hopkins..... I know some of the big schools are really giving a lot? How is it looking across the board. Did the new pending rules really make that big of a difference?
IMHO, I think the coaches are willing to speculate a bit on the legal outcome and offer another 1.5-2.5 scholarships to the 2026 class. The net affect to the 2026 class will be an additional 10%-40% more than normal offered to each kid in each Tier of the recruiting class. One must keep in mind the fact that most coaches only view the top 3-5 players in each class as potential on field contributors. If they ever get meaningful minutes from the bottom players in a class that is viewed as icing on the cake. That being said, I suspect a standard offer to the top Tier (2-3 players) in a class moves from 50%-80% to 70%-100%. 2nd tier (4th-6th) in a class moves from 20%-40% to 30%-50%. Third Tier (7th+ players) in the class from 0%-20% to 0%-30% scholarship. It is extremely unlikely that many programs if any at all are offering full scholarships to kids that in all lilklihood are never leaving the practice field. I stated in another post that if the "House" resoultion ends up at the 38 roster spots and scholarships that the affect will land at about 16-22 scholarships total scholarships per team or 1-3 extra per class for WLAX. The benficiaries will be men's football who will move from 85 to 105 scholarships. For conversation purposes, lets say in a best case scenario for womens sports they they add the 20 to football and another 20 mens scholarships to the non revenue generating sports. The AD in turn will then have another 20-40 womens scholarships to divide up between their womens sports. IMO I think the number is closer to just he 20 football but how many to each sport will depend on what M&W sports a particular school wants to concentrate efforts on. Don't be surprised to see some currently suported sports disappear or change to club only so they can stack up full scholarships to entire rosters on certain sports. Just my 2 cents.
My niece recently committed to a top 20 school. The coach guaranteed the $$ amount for her first 2 years, but said some scholarship $$ may be converted to NIL$$ depending on outstanding legal issues.
Would you be kind enough to share what % this equated to or if it was in line with previous years or the "new normal" indicated above?
Slightly more than 50percent all in. Was a four star recruit by IL. Played for a well regarded non hotbed club who sends double digit girls D1 almost every year

She had some full ride offers but none in top 20
Last edited by WashedUpLaxDad on Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”