Tufts 2025

D3 Mens Lacrosse
choochooCharlie

Re: Tufts 2025

Post by choochooCharlie »

The12lov3 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:02 pm This was a quote from a Boston MD “"It's very unusual to see that many people being hospitalized all at once with this condition, particularly young men who are presumably very physically fit," said Dr. Shruti Gupta of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Something smells in Medford
So what do you think caused it then?
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:25 am
The12lov3 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:02 pm This was a quote from a Boston MD “"It's very unusual to see that many people being hospitalized all at once with this condition, particularly young men who are presumably very physically fit," said Dr. Shruti Gupta of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.

Quick google search would return potentially some hard drugs could have a direct link
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Just unfortunate and all around unnecessary for this to occur

Rhabdo is usually broken down into 2 categories: traumatic and non-traumatic. Most common causes are trauma, infections, drugs and alcohol surgery, and physical exertion. Ive seen rhabdo in weekend softball players from sliding into second base as well as people who have fallen and not gotten up. Those are isolated individuals so for multiple individuals to be involved (this better not have been traumatic@), the assumption is this was non traumatic and definitely raises the question of secondary exacerbating factors.

Hopefully in the short term, these kids all get better. Reasons for prolonged hospitalizations would be trending the muscle enzymes to make sure they are improving but worst case scenario, kidney damage that has taken a long time to recover

However, in the long term, I agree with ChooChoo: whether it is Icarus flying to close to the sun from last year or just plain chronic arrogance, there will need to be some accountability. Like any athletic program, whether they were directly involved or not, the accountability goes to the very top including the head coach and AD because someone signed off on this. This should not be swept under the rug; I cannot determine what the consequences are but nothing is not an option. As a person who remembers, very vividly, doing 2-a-days and puking for football in extremely hot weather, I hope we dont return to draconian practices like that, especially for fall ball to prove how tough we are. Deeply disappointed and I am aware that this plays out many times across all sports every year usually without any consequences but all you need is 1 event to show that in sports, we are walking on the precipice of disaster and this could have been avoided.
Last edited by justanotherperson on Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

Again, this event had nothing to do with training or conditioning. Other than what I've read on this site, through the links supplied, and on a few news outlets(this was talked about briefly on a couple of Sunday morning news shows), I would surmise this was a voluntary(read mandatory), "Team Bonding" lacrosse sanctioned event. The fact that this happened Monday (morning ?) after alumni weekend would lead to this conclusion. The fact that young men are still hospitalized is a tragedy. That a recent alum led this only adds further questions. Anyone who said that no parents are pissed is just simply delusional. As with things of this nature, I have no doubt that this was certainly not the intended outcome. When the players walked onto the field, they never in a million years thought that 12 of their teammates would end their day in the hospital. I'm sure after a thorough investigation, those responsible will be held accountable. Hopefully, all involved will fully recover, and programs at all levels across the country will learn a very valuable lesson. Even those not hospitalized have been affected. Prayers to all of the team members and their families.
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

It’s unbelievable that Tufts is still posting on social media like nothing happened. Another mind-blowing move by the staff! Clearly, this isn’t being taken seriously by them at the moment.
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

justanotherperson wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:33 am Just unfortunate and all around unnecessary for this to occur

Rhabdo is usually broken down into 2 categories: traumatic and non-traumatic. Most common causes are trauma, infections, drugs and alcohol surgery, and physical exertion. Ive seen rhabdo in weekend softball players from sliding into second base as well as people who have fallen and not gotten up. Those are isolated individuals so for multiple individuals to be involved (this better not have been traumatic@), the assumption is this was non traumatic and definitely raises the question of secondary exacerbating factors.

Hopefully in the short term, these kids all get better. Reasons for prolonged hospitalizations would be trending the muscle enzymes to make sure they are improving but worst case scenario, kidney damage that has taken a long time to recover

However, in the long term, I agree with ChooChoo: whether it is Icarus flying to close to the sun from last year or just plain chronic arrogance, there will need to be some accountability. Like any athletic program, whether they were directly involved or not, the accountability goes to the very top including the head coach and AD because some signed off on this. This should not be swept under the rug; I cannot determine what the consequences are but nothing is not an option. As a person who remembers, very vividly, doing 2-a-days for football in extremely how weather, I hope we dont return to draconian practices like that, especially for fall ball to prove how tough we are. Deeply disappointed and I am aware that this plays out many times across all sports every year usually without any consequences but all you need is 1 event to show that in sports, we are walking on the precipice of disaster and this could have been avoided.
Great post
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Having asked the same question earlier, I will note that the story was covered nationally on The Today Show this morning and they did identify several instances at other colleges in which multiple athletes were affected similarly, so perhaps the number of players is not that much of an anomaly.
choochooCharlie

shorelax12 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:29 am

Having asked the same question earlier, I will note that the story was covered nationally on The Today Show this morning and they did identify several instances at other colleges in which multiple athletes were affected similarly, so perhaps the number of players is not that much of an anomaly.
So… is the common denominator college (and the partying typical to that environment)? Because there’s a lot of intense athletics taking part at literally every level, from High School to the Pros, and I’ve yet to see an example of this in large clusters at these other levels. And if that’s the case, then the myriad of issues presented by this persist for Tufts and the NESCAC.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:46 am
shorelax12 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:29 am

So… is the common denominator college (and the partying typical to that environment)? Because there’s a lot of intense athletics taking part at literally every level, from High School to the Pros, and I’ve yet to see an example of this in large clusters at these other levels. And if that’s the case, then the myriad of issues presented by this persist for Tufts and the NESCAC.
I agree that this is does not absolve the Tufts program, and also that one would expect to see more instances of this condition occurring at many levels of athletics, but it does add another wrinkle in regard to whether any external factors played a role. Obviously, all conjecture at this point.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I have not read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned. In 2018 Maryland Football had a player collapse and 2 die two weeks later after an offseason workout. I believe the cause of death was heatstroke and not rhabdomyolysis. This is not completely analogous with the Tufts situation but after an extensive investigation by outside counsel the fallout eventually cost a member of the board of regents, 2 athletic trainers and the head football coach their jobs. The President retired early.

Praying for a full recovery for all!!
choochooCharlie

From barstool sports’ Jordie (Ursinus mlax)-

“Now as someone who also played DIII lacrosse and had Navy SEALs come in and put us through a couple days of workouts, I feel like I have the ability to speak on this. And all I have to say is…it’s just DIII lacrosse, man. I mean, sure, Tufts is as good as it gets in DIII lacrosse. But at the end of the day, it's just DIII lacrosse. Most of us were the 4th best player on our high school team. If you're at Tufts and were the best player on your high school team, it's most likely because your high school team just wasn't very good. Fact of the matter is that maybe we don’t need to train for Fallujah if we're just going to play a game in front of 34 parents and maybe a girlfriend or two“

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/352 ... nt-too-far
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:21 am From barstool sports’ Jordie (Ursinus mlax)-

“Now as someone who also played DIII lacrosse and had Navy SEALs come in and put us through a couple days of workouts, I feel like I have the ability to speak on this. And all I have to say is…it’s just DIII lacrosse, man. I mean, sure, Tufts is as good as it gets in DIII lacrosse. But at the end of the day, it's just DIII lacrosse. Most of us were the 4th best player on our high school team. If you're at Tufts and were the best player on your high school team, it's most likely because your high school team just wasn't very good. Fact of the matter is that maybe we don’t need to train for Fallujah if we're just going to play a game in front of 34 parents and maybe a girlfriend or two“

Beautiful!!!
PBears26

Post by PBears26 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 11:21 am From barstool sports’ Jordie (Ursinus mlax)-

First, Jordie is right that no one should wind up in the hospital as a result of fall training for DIII lacrosse (or any level of lacrosse).

Second, he should have stopped himself before taking a pot-shot at players on Tufts and other top DIII teams where he never had a prayer of playing. This dude played attack at Ursinus and tallied 3 goals/4 assists in his entire career. During his senior season, Ursinus took L's to powerhouses like Swat, Arcadia, Kean and Haverford. 4th best player on his high school team is probably true though ...
choochooCharlie

PBears26 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:56 pm Second, he should have stopped himself before taking a pot-shot at players on Tufts and other top DIII teams where he never had a prayer of playing. This dude played attack at Ursinus and tallied 3 goals/4 assists in his entire career. During his senior season, Ursinus took L's to powerhouses like Swat, Arcadia, Kean and Haverford. 4th best player on his high school team is probably true though ...
Pretty clear it was a shot at egos, not stat packs, as he said they’re as good as it gets in DIII lacrosse. Should he need have had an All-American playing career to call a spade a spade? Also, don’t know what day this all went down, but on 9/10 Coach D tweeted “they don’t put rings on soft hands”. Just so bizarrely strange.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Two things.
1. It's Jordie, so there's an air of sarcasm to everything he says. I wouldn't take it too seriously.
2. If we're talking about top teams in hotbed areas, then... he's right? Still a heck of an accomplishment to be the 3rd/4th best guy on a team that has 15+ future college lacrosse players (and a handful of future college athletes in other sports) in the soph-senior classes.
PBears26

Post by PBears26 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 3:45 pm
PBears26 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:56 pm Second, he should have stopped himself before taking a pot-shot at players on Tufts and other top DIII teams where he never had a prayer of playing. This dude played attack at Ursinus and tallied 3 goals/4 assists in his entire career. During his senior season, Ursinus took L's to powerhouses like Swat, Arcadia, Kean and Haverford. 4th best player on his high school team is probably true though ...
Pretty clear it was a shot at egos, not stat packs, as he said they’re as good as it gets in DIII lacrosse. Should he need have had an All-American playing career to call a spade a spade? Also, don’t know what day this all went down, but on 9/10 Coach D tweeted “they don’t put rings on soft hands”. Just so bizarrely strange.
Yes - someone who spent his career playing left bench for sub-.500 teams lacks the ability to evaluate what it takes to be a player at Tufts or any other top program ... except to say that he didn't have it.

And yes, D'annolfo is one extremely odd duck.

Word is the entire staff is on paid leave ... anyone want action on Daly returning to Medford by Halloween?
ah23

Post by ah23 »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:13 am It is exceedingly unusual to have a mass incidence like this outside of something like a building collapse and crush injuries.
It happens with college football programs. Happened with Iowa (13 players), happened with Oregon (3 players), and happened with a number of others that I can’t remember off the top of my head. IIRC it’s also more common (relatively speaking) in high intensity activities like CrossFit or spin cycling.

As a few people have noted - rhabdo doesn’t automatically indicate that some inhumane workout was conducted. It CAN, but ultimately it’s ‘just’ the body’s response to overexertion, especially after a period of lessened activity. That’s why the football examples are from the preseason, after guys have spent the summer away from team-structured S&C and suddenly get thrown back in. Similar for CrossFit or spin…people push way too hard and go past their limit without realizing it. A few days later, they end up going to the hospital.

Beyond what the workout actually was, I’m most curious about who the ’trainer’ was and what kind of background/preparation/support they had. If they were a legit trainer? Easier to see this as an unfortunate mistake/misalignment of expectations and preparation, but not indicative of negligence or poor management. However, if they were just some BUD/S grad who was brought in because HOOAH but weren’t actually capable of leading legit athletic training? That would be a different, much more damaging story.

I will say: there is nothing inherently wrong with having a SEAL/Marine/member of any branch lead workouts. Good and bad training happens in all environments, and the “D-III kids shouldn’t be doing military workouts!” stuff just doesn’t make sense at all. Teams at all levels do "military workouts" without issue. In my experience, “military workouts” in a sports context are just challenging workouts with a greater focus on overcoming adversity as a group while using unusual implements. Carry this log. Hoist this sandbag. Jump in that pool. Etc. I absolutely think there are valid criticisms of how orgs like The Program view and teach leadership, but that’s not because I think D-III athletes shouldn’t be working out hard in September. Just plain do not understand that line of thinking at all.

Finally…the same nuclear “toxic culture!! fire everyone!!” hot takes will come from many of the same people for many of the same reasons they always do, but ultimately no one in here knows anything. Alleging forced drug/alcohol abuse or power-drunk coaches trying to pull off a coverup and knowingly endangering their players, etc. is ridiculous.

I assume the investigation will be made public. Looking forward to some actual facts on this to understand what went on and whether this was just an unfortunate situation or actual malpractice took place. If the fact pattern says negligence and direct responsibility, the response should be cut and dry. If the fact pattern says this was just an unfortunate mix of hard training + not being physically ready for that (completely understandable - it's September), don't think there should or will be major consequences.

(meant to respond to more than just pcowlax, but I'm on mobile and had a hard time scrolling/finding everything)
ah23

Post by ah23 »

ah23 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:22 pm Was it definitely The Program? I don’t see any mention of the SEALS on their staff, and the only Tufts alum they have listed is a former Marine who would have aged out of SEALS eligibility in roughly 2006.
Bumping up this question - have seen them mentioned but wasn’t sure if it’s legit or if they’re just the biggest name.
choochooCharlie

ah23 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:55 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:13 am It is exceedingly unusual to have a mass incidence like this outside of something like a building collapse and crush injuries.
It happens with college football programs. Happened with Iowa (13 players), happened with Oregon (3 players), and happened with a number of others that I can’t remember off the top of my head. IIRC it’s also more common (relatively speaking) in high intensity activities like CrossFit or spin cycling.

As a few people have noted - rhabdo doesn’t automatically indicate that some inhumane workout was conducted. It CAN, but ultimately it’s ‘just’ the body’s response to overexertion, especially after a period of lessened activity. That’s why the football examples are from the preseason, after guys have spent the summer away from team-structured S&C and suddenly get thrown back in. Similar for CrossFit or spin…people push way too hard and go past their limit without realizing it. A few days later, they end up going to the hospital.

Beyond what the workout actually was, I’m most curious about who the ’trainer’ was and what kind of background/preparation/support they had. If they were a legit trainer? Easier to see this as an unfortunate mistake/misalignment of expectations and preparation, but not indicative of negligence or poor management. However, if they were just some BUD/S grad who was brought in because HOOAH but weren’t actually capable of leading legit athletic training? That would be a different, much more damaging story.

I will say: there is nothing inherently wrong with having a SEAL/Marine/member of any branch lead workouts. Good and bad training happens in all environments, and the “D-III kids shouldn’t be doing military workouts!” stuff just doesn’t make sense at all. Teams at all levels do "military workouts" without issue. In my experience, “military workouts” in a sports context are just challenging workouts with a greater focus on overcoming adversity as a group while using unusual implements. Carry this log. Hoist this sandbag. Jump in that pool. Etc. I absolutely think there are valid criticisms of how orgs like The Program view and teach leadership, but that’s not because I think D-III athletes shouldn’t be working out hard in September. Just plain do not understand that line of thinking at all.

Finally…the same nuclear “toxic culture!! fire everyone!!” hot takes will come from many of the same people for many of the same reasons they always do, but ultimately no one in here knows anything. Alleging forced drug/alcohol abuse or power-drunk coaches trying to pull off a coverup and knowingly endangering their players, etc. is ridiculous.

I assume the investigation will be made public. Looking forward to some actual facts on this to understand what went on and whether this was just an unfortunate situation or actual malpractice took place. If the fact pattern says negligence and direct responsibility, the response should be cut and dry. If the fact pattern says this was just an unfortunate mix of hard training + not being physically ready for that (completely understandable - it's September), don't think there should or will be major consequences.

(meant to respond to more than just pcowlax, but I'm on mobile and had a hard time scrolling/finding everything)
What specifically about just college teams makes this happen? (as infrequently as 2 available examples, and being a National headline every time it does would indicate)
And the NESCAC rules surrounding fall ball? It’s been reported that team staff were present. The entire staff is reportedly on paid leave. And what of the 4 day wait to report it? Your adding a lot of guided context for “the potential other side of the story” without addressing what’s actually being discussed.

FWIW the toxic culture conversation was there about tufts long before 20% of the team wound up in the hospital on national news during fall ball.

And as for “alleging power-drunk coaches”-
““they don’t put rings on soft hands”” - Coach D within the last 2 weeks.
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

ah23 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 4:55 pm

Excellent fairly balanced (with a gentle slant towards let’s not over react) post ! Well articulated!

Quick point to mull over - over 25% of the players participating were hospitalized ….

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”