Tufts Lacrosse Rhabdo Hospitalizations

D3 Mens Lacrosse
AOD

Re: Tufts Lacrosse Rhabdo Hospitalizations

Post by AOD »

OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:39 am
AOD wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:20 pm
OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:18 pm SEALs accept very few of their applications all of whom are in top physical m shape for training. The Attrition rate even among those candidates is very high.

I ssked my brother in law what he looks for in a candidate who will be successful. His reply was he wants the guy that gets there first and leaves last and does that day after day after day. That cannot be taught. College lax players are very rarely ever prepared mentally or physically for even one day.

https://www.sandboxx.us/news/special-op ... tion-data/
Probably want to check with Mike Burns (UNC 2011) about that.
Anout what? I talked w my BIL who among other things trained several thousand. Or are tou questioning the link
About whether lacrosse players are prepared mentally or physically.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I think the attrition numbers supply the answer. The candidates are mostly top tier athletes eg tri athletes, runners. Not that long ago Petro had a SEAL lead a run as a bonding exercise. It was a one time event.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:24 am I think the attrition numbers supply the answer. The candidates are mostly top tier athletes eg tri athletes, runners. Not that long ago Petro had a SEAL lead a run as a bonding exercise. It was a one time event.
Was that the SSDM?

I am searching for it now, but I recall an article stating that 'lacrosse' players had the lead, in sports specific SEALs.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Mole

Post by Mole »

mdlaxdad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:40 pm Not sure how or why they were put into this situation, but their health should be the most important thing right now, not the fall out for the program. Secondly, what is the point of this exercise?
It’s a leadership development group that uses shared adversity for team building.
netminder

Post by netminder »

First and foremost I hope the injured players are trending in the right direction. That said what happens next?

Who looks into this incident? Obviously Tufts will investigate and may hire an outside firm. The injured players families most likely will hire counsel to investigate. Does the NESCAC Conference get involved? Does the NCAA get involved? This could get ugly real fast. A top university with a lot to lose verse concerned families who want answers and accountability. It may take months to actually learn what took place.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

+1
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

netminder wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:37 pm First and foremost I hope the injured players are trending in the right direction. That said what happens next?

Who looks into this incident? Obviously Tufts will investigate and may hire an outside firm. The injured players families most likely will hire counsel to investigate. Does the NESCAC Conference get involved? Does the NCAA get involved? This could get ugly real fast. A top university with a lot to lose verse concerned families who want answers and accountability. It may take months to actually learn what took place.
1000%
Although doubt it will take as long to sort out - lawsuits filed - coaches fired - checks will be cut and added schrapnel scattered

Horrible horrible decisions made and total arrogant decisions made by lax leadership !
ergit

Post by ergit »

georgeoar394 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:59 am I wonder if blood work will reveal something else in their systems....
What are you suggesting?
ergit

Post by ergit »

OCanada wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:18 pm SEALs accept very few of their applications all of whom are in top physical m shape for training. The Attrition rate even among those candidates is very high.

I ssked my brother in law what he looks for in a candidate who will be successful. His reply was he wants the guy that gets there first and leaves last and does that day after day after day. That cannot be taught. College lax players are very rarely ever prepared mentally or physically for even one day.

Navy SEAL fetishization…
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

I know the Tufts program annually participates in The Program, which is a physical/mental day long exercise ran by a group of former Marines and SEALS. Curious to know if this incident was held under that group or not. I have participated in The Program before and though the physical parts of it are tough, it is more of a mental toughness exercise.

https://theprogram.org/athletic-judgment-day/
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Red4Life wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:01 pm
netminder wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:37 pm First and foremost I hope the injured players are trending in the right direction. That said what happens next?

1000%
Although doubt it will take as long to sort out - lawsuits filed - coaches fired - checks will be cut and added schrapnel scattered

Horrible horrible decisions made and total arrogant decisions made by lax leadership !
There’s a fine line between pride and arrogance, and no one but the strongest of Tufts supporters would ever accuse their Coach of being on the right side of that line. It would appear that his pursuit of individual acknowledgment and accolade has spiraled into destructive madness. As I previously stated, there is likely video evidence of what took place during this “practice,” -see the constant pursuit of acknowledgment- and while we here won’t ever see it, I believe it will be featured prominently in civil court.

It is fascinating (and telling) that there are run of the mill social media posts being made at this time. Either the school has lost control of the men’s lacrosse staff, or they never had it.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

ergit wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:16 pm

Navy SEAL fetishization…
And why would you make thst comment?
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:55 am

1000%

There’s a fine line between pride and arrogance, and no one but the strongest of Tufts supporters would ever accuse their Coach of being on the right side of that line. It would appear that his pursuit of individual acknowledgment and accolade has spiraled into destructive madness. As I previously stated, there is likely video evidence of what took place during this “practice,” -see the constant pursuit of acknowledgment- and while we here won’t ever see it, I believe it will be featured prominently in civil court.

It is fascinating (and telling) that there are run of the mill social media posts being made at this time. Either the school has lost control of the men’s lacrosse staff, or they never had it.
Or worse yet, there was a video and during the 4 days between the incident and the initial report in the Boston Globe on Friday - it was “accidently deleted”…..and claims made that no video existed.

Four days is a long time between incident and reporting. Will be very interesting to determine the timing of the Tufts non lax staff to be made aware of the severity of impact - AD? Presidents Office? Board of Directors?

Not a social media follower of many so I’m assuming from your comments that Tufts Lax has a handful of social media distribution sites (IG, Etc.) One would think the “social media manager” for the team or for Tufts Athletics would have been advised to cease all lax related posting etc. I can’t image the current coach will not be placed on paid leave pending investigations into this matter - with no access to school or lax program permitted.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

This strikes me as a form of hazing. Do the kids feel that if they don't participate it will lessen their chance of making the team or fitting in. Are they told up front what they will be doing and then have the option of not going along with it. It sounds like in order to get in the Tufts lacrosse "fraternity" you need to do certain things, some of which can be dangerous. This could get ugly for the school.
choochooCharlie

Red4Life wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:00 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:55 am

1000%

Or worse yet, there was a video and during the 4 days between the incident and the initial report in the Boston Globe on Friday - it was “accidently deleted”…..and claims made that no video existed.

Four days is a long time between incident and reporting. Will be very interesting to determine the timing of the Tufts non lax staff to be made aware of the severity of impact - AD? Presidents Office? Board of Directors?

Not a social media follower of many so I’m assuming from your comments that Tufts Lax has a handful of social media distribution sites (IG, Etc.) One would think the “social media manager” for the team or for Tufts Athletics would have been advised to cease all lax related posting etc. I can’t image the current coach will not be placed on paid leave pending investigations into this matter - with no access to school or lax program permitted.
The timeline / delayed reporting certainly implies efforts to conceal things. Very interesting that there has been no announcement from the University or Conference. They’re probably trying to gather all the information (evidence) that was never intended for their eyes.
choochooCharlie

JustOneTime wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:05 pm This strikes me as a form of hazing. Do the kids feel that if they don't participate it will lessen their chance of making the team or fitting in. Are they told up front what they will be doing and then have the option of not going along with it. It sounds like in order to get in the Tufts lacrosse "fraternity" you need to do certain things, some of which can be dangerous. This could get ugly for the school.
I said it before. “Optional” activities that come with actual or implied team ramifications aren’t “optional.” These kids, when they recover god willing, will speak the truth, but only if the right things are done and those that would punish them for speaking it aren’t still in total control of their future. The least nefarious explanation for all this seems to be alcohol consumption (some of which would be underage). If that is the extent of it, who gave it to them, where and when did they drink it, and was there pressure to conform in that instance as well. This isn’t rocket science.

Where’s all the Tufts supporters who were here when this began? ESPN, National morning shows; this “nothing burger” is looking more like a whopper with all the fixins.
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:20 pm
JustOneTime wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:05 pm This strikes me as a form of hazing. Do the kids feel that if they don't participate it will lessen their chance of making the team or fitting in. Are they told up front what they will be doing and then have the option of not going along with it. It sounds like in order to get in the Tufts lacrosse "fraternity" you need to do certain things, some of which can be dangerous. This could get ugly for the school.
I said it before. “Optional” activities that come with actual or implied team ramifications aren’t “optional.” These kids, when they recover god willing, will speak the truth, but only if the right things are done and those that would punish them for speaking it aren’t still in total control of their future. The least nefarious explanation for all this seems to be alcohol consumption (some of which would be underage). If that is the extent of it, who gave it to them, where and when did they drink it, and was there pressure to conform in that instance as well. This isn’t rocket science.

Where’s all the Tufts supporters who were here when this began? ESPN, National morning shows; this “nothing burger” is looking more like a whopper with all the fixins.
Seems the few “interested parties” aka “dads or very recent alumni” who patrol these pages have quieted down!
The entire team (including those not hospitalized) has been put in an impossible position of speaking truthfully or acquiescing to the “unwritten rule” of what happens within the team - stays within the team. Given the kids endless use of texting and any other technology driven communication form that leaves a traceable trail - there will likely be phones collected and emails / texts uncovered with urgings to “go godfather style on this” that add to the expanding fact set list . We have not seen many “wait for all the facts to come out” posts in a while !
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If, and a big If, it turns out these players were partying too hard with alum and parents.....does that change anything?

My Facebook is full of 'parents' weekend shenanigans' with the kids drinking and tailgating. Maybe the Coach, actually wants a player led team, with accountability, to change culture, b/c he knows full well his livelihood is in the hands of 18-22 y/o knuckleheads' that don't listen very well, drink, and give lacrosse the continued stigma is has carried for decades.

And maybe, some parents need to look in the mirror and know they enabled this behavior.

Not a sermon.....just a thought.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
choochooCharlie

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:52 pm If, and a big If, it turns out these players were partying too hard with alum and parents.....does that change anything?
Well yes, as a matter of fact, it does. Much the same way alcohol (or other substances’) involvement changes perceptions of any incident. Parental hugs, and “I’m just glad you’re ok”s, turn into hugs and “what were you thinking”s. School support in physical recovery from a training incident turns into school mandated drug and alcohol counseling and probationary status. That sort of stuff. Kids party at college, I get it. But this is a National news story, and things seem to be pointing towards a compounding factor that’s not a good one. And that’s just on the individual level. Let’s see how the university and conference handle this with the program and staff. There are conference rules that seems were likely violated. That goes to the staff. Meanwhile, not sure what day this incident happened, but Coach D tweeted on 09/10- “they don’t put rings on soft hands.” Bizarre.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:52 pm If, and a big If, it turns out these players were partying too hard with alum and parents.....does that change anything?

My Facebook is full of 'parents' weekend shenanigans' with the kids drinking and tailgating. Maybe the Coach, actually wants a player led team, with accountability, to change culture, b/c he knows full well his livelihood is in the hands of 18-22 y/o knuckleheads' that don't listen very well, drink, and give lacrosse the continued stigma is has carried for decades.

And maybe, some parents need to look in the mirror and know they enabled this behavior.

Not a sermon.....just a thought.
If this was the intent, then the coach should be out the door already. I can see a coach running the kids a bit if he thought that discipline was an issue, but I just cannot get behind the idea of trying to make a cultural statement about lacrosse in general.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”