Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:46 pm
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:27 pm Pardon the interruption.

This past Wednesday the Committee on Homeland Security held a hearing. Just shy of three hours viewing time.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?538496-1/ ... der-policy

Chairman's summary statement begins 2:43.

I found Mr. Heitke's segments to be quite illuminating. 25 years on the front lines over 5 administrations. His opening statement begins at 20:37.

Fwiw.
Listened to his summary.

Why don’t you give us five things you got from him. What did you hear?
I heard what you heard. And I got what I got. I put it out there for any interested folks here to do the same, or ignore. NFTR.
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:13 pm

This past Wednesday the Committee on Homeland Security held a hearing. Just shy of three hours viewing time.

I found Mr. Heitke's segments to be quite illuminating. 25 years on the front lines over 5 administrations. His opening statement begins at 20:37.

Fwiw.
Listened to his summary.

I heard what you heard. And I got what I got. I put it out there for any interested folks here to do the same, or ignore. NFTR.
You must be a lawyer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
or a politician. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Fwiw.
FWIW, you are well armed and living well. Why do you care?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:13 pm

Fwiw.
Listened to his summary.

I heard what you heard.
I can assure you that we didn't glean the same things, as I'm not a partisan.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:35 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:55 pm
The Dem's Open Border tsunami is a far cry from our past legal immigration patterns.
:lol: :lol: Right. Sell your fear and hate somewhere else.

"legal immigration patterns". Still not one single solitary complaint about Visa overstays. 3 of the 9/11 wankers were Visa overstays. Whoops.

42% of the ~11 million illegal workers in the US are tagged as visa overstays. Allllllll that financial cost, and you and your hate-filled buddies can't even PRETEND to care.

Why? Because you can't blame the Dems for it, and you can't sell the hate and fear the way you can with the "brown people" coming from the South.

Sweet. But sure, you're worried about the law, and an influx of those who can't legally work straining the system. :roll:

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/homesec/R47848.pdf
What makes you think I don't care about overstays. As I repeatedly posted before, they should be legalized or deported too.

In the mid-1990's, I had to terminate a great young Dutch pilot whose pilot training student visa expired, at a time when I was losing US pilots to regional airlines faster than I could train replacements (before the FAA min experience rqmts for airlines were increased). My company spent mucho on an immigration atty in an unsuccessful attempt to secure a green card for him. It was virtually impossible at the time. I was able to retain a Brit pilot in a similar status because he married a US girl before his visa expired, ...then he jumped to a regional airline. At least they entered legally, were self-supporting, were not criminals, & in addition to being safe drivers, they were good pilots who advanced to be charter captains. So don't tell me that visa overstays don't matter to me.

You think there are only 11 million illegal workers in the US ? If they entered legally & they're working & supporting themselves & their families, they're the least of our problems. Start by deporting the criminals, potential terrorists & gang members, then figure out what to do with the others in a way that is fair to those who entered legally & those still waiting in line. As JD Vance proposed *

Here's the Biden - Harris - Mayorkas policy on overstays, from the link you provided.
If you think they're too ez on overstays, then vote for Trump.

In September 2021, DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas announced new enforcement guidelines,
which include background on DHS’s use of prosecutorial discretion. These guidelines were
developed after President Biden revoked former President Trump’s immigration enforcement
guidelines in January 2021. In his memo explaining the new guidelines, Mayorkas wrote:
The fact [that] an individual is a removable noncitizen therefore should not alone be the
basis of an enforcement action against them. We will use our discretion and focus our
enforcement resources in a more targeted way. Justice and our country’ s well-being
require it.
By exercising our discretionary authority in a targeted way, we can focus our efforts on
those who pose a threat to national security, public safety, and border security and thus
threaten America’ s well-being. We do not lessen our commitment to enforce immigration
law to the best of our ability.
This is how we use the resources we have in a way that accomplishes our enforcement
mission most effectively and justly.
The memorandum underscores that DHS lacks the resources to pursue the removal of all persons
in the United States subject to removal. Instead, ICE relies on these enforcement priorities to
guide the use of prosecutorial discretion in arrest and removal actions. ERO considers foremost
whether individuals present a threat to national security or public safety, drawing on intelligence
databases, immigration status, criminal history, and other factors.108 During this process,
individuals whom ICE identifies as enforcement priorities may be overstayers, but it is unlikely
that being an overstayer alone would trigger removal.

* https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jd-vanc ... =112739447
When asked how he and Trump would accomplish their stated goal of mass deporting as many as 20 million immigrants -- Vance said they would take a "sequential approach."

"You start with what's achievable," Vance said. "I think that if you deport a lot of violent criminals and frankly if you make it harder to hire illegal labor, which undercuts the wages of American workers, I think you go a lot of the way to solving the illegal immigration problem."

"I think it's interesting that people focus on, well, how do you deport 18 million people? Let's start with 1 million. That's where Kamala Harris has failed. And then we can go from there," Vance said.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:31 am
The Dem's Open Border tsunami is a far cry from our past legal immigration patterns.

"legal immigration patterns". Still not one single solitary complaint about Visa overstays. 3 of the 9/11 wankers were Visa overstays. Whoops.

42% of the ~11 million illegal workers in the US are tagged as visa overstays. Allllllll that financial cost, and you and your hate-filled buddies can't even PRETEND to care.

Why? Because you can't blame the Dems for it, and you can't sell the hate and fear the way you can with the "brown people" coming from the South.

Sweet. But sure, you're worried about the law, and an influx of those who can't legally work straining the system. :roll:

What makes you think I don't care about overstays. As I repeatedly posted before, they should be legalized or deported too
:lol: Right.

-you never bring them up.
-you told us the bipartisan bill should be killed. It had money and resources for visa overstays
-all your effort here are about stopping the Southern border, and completely ignoring those who are already here
-you didn't care...didn't say a word...when Trump left without fixing our visa system'

You're fibbing again.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:45 am

What makes you think I don't care about overstays. As I repeatedly posted before, they should be legalized or deported too

-you told us the bipartisan bill should be killed. It had money and resources for visa overstays
-all your effort here are about stopping the Southern border, and completely ignoring those who are already here
-you didn't care...didn't say a word...when Trump left without fixing our visa system'

You're fibbing again.
I don't bring them up because they're doing the least harm & should be the lowest priority for using ICE resources.
I'm not ignoring those already here. I want to stop it from getting worse.
Trump can't fix the visa system. The Dems in Congress won't go along with the changes in law that it will take.
They want a wide open "path to citizenship" to anyone who can cross our border, legally or not.
The schools that issue student visas should post a bond which they have to forfeit if a student they sponsor overstays their visa.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:57 am

You're fibbing again.
I don't bring them up because they're doing the least harm & should be the lowest priority for using ICE resources.
Trump can't fix the visa system. The Dems in Congress won't go along with the changes in law that it will take.
They want a wide open "path to citizenship" to anyone who can cross our border, legally or not.
The schools that issue student visas should post a bond which they have to forfeit if a student they sponsor overstays their visa.
Sounds like you support the sanctuary city effort which is doing exactly what you want….. Ice got rid of the low hanging fruit under Trump.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:02 am

You're fibbing again.
Sounds like you support the sanctuary city effort which is doing exactly what you want….. Ice got rid of the low hanging fruit under Trump.
ICE could deport a lot more criminals if sanctuary jurisdictions would detain them & notify ICE to take custody of them.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:07 am

You're fibbing again.
ICE could deport a lot more criminals if sanctuary jurisdictions would detain them & notify ICE to take custody of them.
Sanctuary cities don’t arrest illegal immigrants that commit crimes and present a danger? How does that work?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:57 am I don't bring them up because they're doing the least harm & should be the lowest priority for using ICE resources.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Right. 10 million+ people here illegally, unable to work legally and pay taxes in full are "no big deal".

It's the 20k haitians eating cats and dogs that should be our priority. :roll:

You don't need ICE to fix our visa system. You can work on it all year round, it's the EASIEST part to work on, because it doesn't have as many of the scary "brown people" that Republican voters are obsessed with.....
old salt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:57 am Trump can't fix the visa system. The Dems in Congress won't go along with the changes in law that it will take.
So why didn't he fix it in his first two years when Dems weren't in the way?

Oh, that's right, because no matter what, the Dems are bad.

And that certainly explains the bipartisan bill that had, you guessed it......resources to help fix our broken Visa system.

You didn't notice, or care. You just want to tell us Dems are bad, and pretend that's not why you're on the forum.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:07 am

You're fibbing again.
:lol: You wouldn't need to deport anyone if ICE started arresting HR reps and managers.

But you don't want to do that either. All you want to do is whine about Dems. When Trump arrives? Every single one of your complaints will go *poof*.

Just like the last time around. The Magic R is all you need, OS. And you'll get what you want in a matter of weeks.

Then you can get the excuses warmed-up as to why Trump won't pass immigration and visa bills.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

I lived in LA during my 20’s. I spent a lot of time chatting up the girls and having a drink with the interesting people I met.

I concluded that every year, The prettiest girl graduating from every High School headed to Hollywood to take acting lessons and become a star, the leads in the school play went to either NYC or LA (along with the creative kids) to become film professionals. The really smart kids went away to college and most never came back. It was emigration of the future of every small, dull town – a hollowing out of the heartland. I knew nothing good would be coming of that and now the chickens are roosting.

I just read https://substack.com/home/post/p-149232874

Yeah, this emigration that I observed has broken the heartland, and the only way to get working people back into their micro economies is to import them. People who will do stoop labor (AG except grain), and repetitive task labor (MANUFACTURING) are immigrants. Plain and simple. These used to be the Irish and the Poles and the Italians, but now it’s people of color and the Trumpists hate this, it seems.

We’re not going to get labor/people who already speak English, know how to drive, and don’t root for their home country’s soccer team at the world cup. On the other hand, Springfield lured companies offering jobs and promised cheap land and plentiful labor. Cheap land they had. The labor had to be brought in. Thus the immigration issue de jour.

If we expel all Haitians from Springfield, their employers cannot produce and will fold or move. Then sue – and will win. The residents will lose what economy they had started and will be pissed and sue – and will win. But Springfield will die nonetheless.

If you think that the people processing your supermarket meats, picking your fruits and veggies, cooking your delicious restaurant food, picking you up at 2 am in an Uber car, and making your ‘made in the USA’ box store products, should be put on busses and shipped overseas, then be sure to vote Trump.

If you think that these are ‘Black Jobs’ and our African American citizens will step up and fill the gaps, you’re wrong. They’ve had 55 years of the Civil Rights Acts, and they ain’t goin’ back. Second generation Mexicans want law degrees and MBA’s, not more stoop labor.

Further, our demographics are not good. To paraphase Trump: “ Nobody has six kids anymore! Everybody knows that kids aren’t cheap labor and you gotta pay to send them to a good school. Two! Maybe 2.5. Kids! We gonna run out of PEOPLE and how can you grow with no new people!”

(He never said that).

Rant over. You may return to your previously scheduled programming...
tech37

Post by tech37 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:32 am I lived in LA during my 20’s. I spent a lot of time chatting up the girls and having a drink with the interesting people I met.

I concluded that every year, The prettiest girl graduating from every High School headed to Hollywood to take acting lessons and become a star, the leads in the school play went to either NYC or LA (along with the creative kids) to become film professionals. The really smart kids went away to college and most never came back. It was emigration of the future of every small, dull town – a hollowing out of the heartland. I knew nothing good would be coming of that and now the chickens are roosting.

Yeah, this emigration that I observed has broken the heartland, and the only way to get working people back into their micro economies is to import them. People who will do stoop labor (AG except grain), and repetitive task labor (MANUFACTURING) are immigrants. Plain and simple. These used to be the Irish and the Poles and the Italians, but now it’s people of color and the Trumpists hate this, it seems.

We’re not going to get labor/people who already speak English, know how to drive, and don’t root for their home country’s soccer team at the world cup. On the other hand, Springfield lured companies offering jobs and promised cheap land and plentiful labor. Cheap land they had. The labor had to be brought in. Thus the immigration issue de jour.

If we expel all Haitians from Springfield, their employers cannot produce and will fold or move. Then sue – and will win. The residents will lose what economy they had started and will be pissed and sue – and will win. But Springfield will die nonetheless.

If you think that the people processing your supermarket meats, picking your fruits and veggies, cooking your delicious restaurant food, picking you up at 2 am in an Uber car, and making your ‘made in the USA’ box store products, should be put on busses and shipped overseas, then be sure to vote Trump.

If you think that these are ‘Black Jobs’ and our African American citizens will step up and fill the gaps, you’re wrong. They’ve had 55 years of the Civil Rights Acts, and they ain’t goin’ back. Second generation Mexicans want law degrees and MBA’s, not more stoop labor.

Further, our demographics are not good. To paraphase Trump: “ Nobody has six kids anymore! Everybody knows that kids aren’t cheap labor and you gotta pay to send them to a good school. Two! Maybe 2.5. Kids! We gonna run out of PEOPLE and how can you grow with no new people!”

(He never said that).

For what it's worth, I agree with gist of your post.

I would just ask... are you OK with immigration laws being ignored/bypassed? Do you see any danger not knowing who is entering the country and/or what their motives are, concealed within the shear number of people overwhelming an already broken system? What about the AI future that will replace so many jobs including menial ones? Perhaps you're OK with the US eventually being transformed into a complete nanny state?

Do you think Biden/Harris admin has intentionally driven the current immigration circumstance?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:01 am
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 12:32 am I lived in LA during my 20’s. I spent a lot of time chatting up the girls and having a drink with the interesting people I met.

(He never said that).

I would just ask... are you OK with immigration laws being ignored/bypassed? Do you see any danger not knowing who is entering the country and/or what their motives are, concealed within the shear number of people overwhelming an already broken system? What about the AI future that will replace so many jobs including menial ones? Perhaps you're OK with the US eventually being transformed into a complete nanny state?

Do you think Biden/Harris admin has intentionally driven the current immigration circumstance?
Might keep in mind, that this country had no laws or limits to immigration for over 100 years until the late 19th Century (Asians only were limited at that time) and into the early 20th Century when it became the rage amongst WASP nativists like Henry Cabot Lodge and Charles Lindbergh.
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

feature=sharednj
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 8:12 am

(He never said that).

Might keep in mind, that this country had no laws or limits to immigration for over 100 years until the late 19th Century (Asians only were limited at that time) and into the early 20th Century when it became the rage amongst WASP nativists like Henry Cabot Lodge and Charles Lindbergh.
We also had Ellis Island where new arrivals were processed in a relatively organized manner. The immigration chit show at the southern border doesn't even remotely resemble being organized. That is because nobody wants it to be organized. The American people are being led to believe these are all just honest down home folks looking for a fresh start. What the hell if thousands of murderous very dangerous gang members are sprinkled into the mix that is a small price to pay. If anyone questions the stupidity you all just start quoting statistics that the new vicious murdering bastards are no more dangerous than the murdering bastards already living here.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:26 am

(He never said that).

We also had Ellis Island where new arrivals were processed in a relatively organized manner. The immigration chit show at the southern border doesn't even remotely resemble being organized. That is because nobody wants it to be organized. The American people are being led to believe these are all just honest down home folks looking for a fresh start. What the hell if thousands of murderous very dangerous gang members are sprinkled into the mix that is a small price to pay. If anyone questions the stupidity you all just start quoting statistics that the new vicious murdering bastards are no more dangerous than the murdering bastards already living here.
Might interest you to know that Lucky Lucianoo, Vito Genovese, Carlo Gambino and most other Mafia kingpins were all immigrants who came through at this same time period. :oops:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:40 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:26 am

(He never said that).

Might interest you to know that Lucky Lucianoo, Vito Genovese, Carlo Gambino and most other Mafia kingpins were all immigrants who came through at this same time period. :oops:
Already knew that. Yet again the point sails way over your head. Ellis Island didn't guarantee good and reputable new citizens. This is where you get to dig out your thinking cap from storage and dust off all the cobwebs. How effective is the southern border policy at weeding out all the really bad actors? I guess nobody will know until they establish themselves in their new country and create new criminal empires of their own in America. Think Luciano, Genovese, Gambino and all of the other kingpins. Your just fine and dandy with that then? Good to know that. With your logic here I hope that God really does bless America, the country will need all the blessings it can get. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”