Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
WashedUpLaxDad

Re: Recruiting

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:50 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:40 pm I am a little surprised that Coastal Carolina only has 2 commits so far. With making the tourney last year and building the new indoor practice facility, I would have thought Coastal would have been a very enticing draw. One step forward, one step back I guess.
There’s quite a few mid and upper mid teams that are low. Delaware, Drexel and Jacksonville all have zero.
Coastal and Delaware are primarily reaching out to top 300 girls. They are waiting for them to "fall through the cracks" before they start reaching out to others. Delaware definitely has many offers out there.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:55 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:50 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:40 pm I am a little surprised that Coastal Carolina only has 2 commits so far. With making the tourney last year and building the new indoor practice facility, I would have thought Coastal would have been a very enticing draw. One step forward, one step back I guess.
There’s quite a few mid and upper mid teams that are low. Delaware, Drexel and Jacksonville all have zero.
Coastal and Delaware are primarily reaching out to top 300 girls. They are waiting for them to "fall through the cracks" before they start reaching out to others. Delaware definitely has many offers out there.
😁 I’m sure plenty of teams have offers out there and out to top 300. They always do. But I find it interesting no one has accepted yet. There’s always one or two. Drexel is a top 30-40 team, possibly 25. I’m surprised O’Donnel and Geiger haven’t locked up someone before today. Delaware lost their main recruiter. No idea how Steph leaving impacted that. So that is not as surprising. Although it’s probably not the best game plan, many kids pick their school because of coaches. I guess it’s a good thing if you stay away from one because of it, but picking a school because of an asst coach is a disaster waiting to happen, but it does happen.
Last edited by Relax77 on Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funlaxmom

Post by funlaxmom »

There are multiple Ivy's and a few better ACC's without a full slate yet. Wild times! Or maybe it's early and some are still pondering. But who's left??
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

funlaxmom wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:25 pm There are multiple Ivy's and a few better ACC's without a full slate yet. Wild times! Or maybe it's early and some are still pondering. But who's left??
There are plenty of 50-250 ranked girls who are not yet committed. Also remember there are many top girls who don't want a power 5 schools for a variety of reasons (want more of a life balance, want smaller school, location, $$, etc.)
Re: Ivies, now that test scores are required at most Ivies, their player pool is shrinking. My daughter's club recruiting director said a top 4 Ivy program told her that at least half of the girls they recruited in 2024 couldn't be recruited now due to test scores.Apparently a couple 25 Ivy commits didn't get past the preread and had to find a new home.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

There are a more commits than Inside Lacrosse and laxnumbers show. Most schools have a few more than listed from what I hear. Not everybody immediately changes their status on SportsRecruits, not everybody is like the junkies on this site. haha
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:43 pm There are a more commits than Inside Lacrosse and laxnumbers show. Most schools have a few more than listed from what I hear. Not everybody immediately changes their status on SportsRecruits, not everybody is like the junkies on this site. haha
Exactly. My 25 daughter committed on the 21st or 22nd last year but didn't post until the 27th so she could post in school uniform.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:33 pm
funlaxmom wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:25 pm There are multiple Ivy's and a few better ACC's without a full slate yet. Wild times! Or maybe it's early and some are still pondering. But who's left??
There are plenty of 50-250 ranked girls who are not yet committed. Also remember there are many top girls who don't want a power 5 schools for a variety of reasons (want more of a life balance, want smaller school, location, $$, etc.)
Re: Ivies, now that test scores are required at most Ivies, their player pool is shrinking. My daughter's club recruiting director said a top 4 Ivy program told her that at least half of the girls they recruited in 2024 couldn't be recruited now due to test scores.Apparently a couple 25 Ivy commits didn't get past the preread and had to find a new home.
I haven't heard anything about a smaller talent pool, but have hears a lot about offers conditional on test scores. My guess is that we will be a record number of decommits in June/July.
LaxUpstate

Post by LaxUpstate »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:35 pm
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:33 pm
I haven't heard anything about a smaller talent pool, but have hears a lot about offers conditional on test scores. My guess is that we will be a record number of decommits in June/July.
27’s better start test prep is how I read this…
laxfanrs

Post by laxfanrs »

I have a question about the USA NTDP u16/18. Is it sixes or full feild ? It would be a shame if it’s sixes. To be honest I’m not the biggest fan of sixes. IMO it’s really built for middies, it ruins the complexity and creativity that feild lacrosse has.
Wlax31

Post by Wlax31 »

Going to need 1400 or above for Ivy. Ivy isn’t the right fit for ever athlete. Professors at Ivies don’t care if you are a student athlete. They also don’t give athletic money. The pressures are REAL. Every student has perfect scores and GPA’s, so you may have been special at your high school but not anymore.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Wlax31 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:42 pm Going to need 1400 or above for Ivy. Ivy isn’t the right fit for ever athlete. Professors at Ivies don’t care if you are a student athlete. They also don’t give athletic money. The pressures are REAL. Every student has perfect scores and GPA’s, so you may have been special at your high school but not anymore.
Didn’t Brooke Shields graduate from Princeton?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxfanrs wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:38 pm I have a question about the USA NTDP u16/18. Is it sixes or full feild ? It would be a shame if it’s sixes. To be honest I’m not the biggest fan of sixes. IMO it’s really built for middies, it ruins the complexity and creativity that feild lacrosse has.
10v10 international rules, full(ish) field.
LaxUpstate

Post by LaxUpstate »

Wlax31 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:42 pm Going to need 1400 or above for Ivy. Ivy isn’t the right fit for ever athlete. Professors at Ivies don’t care if you are a student athlete. They also don’t give athletic money. The pressures are REAL. Every student has perfect scores and GPA’s, so you may have been special at your high school but not anymore.
This almost sounds like every top recruit that chooses UNC
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I assume this was said ironically. Unc has the benefit of allowing out of state athletes to only have to meet in state academic standards for admission. The majority of lax recruits will qualify. Ivies have a far higher bar academically. Most lax recruits, even those with a high gpa from their school, won’t qualify.
LuckyLaxMD

Post by LuckyLaxMD »

Wlax31 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:42 pm Going to need 1400 or above for Ivy.
I know that all Ivies are not created equal when it comes to the academic admission bar. The bar is definitely different for each Ivy. I'm not sure if the bar is varied by athlete within one ivy, where more desirable athletes are allowed a lower test score.

Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, and Brown (plus Cornell next year) require test scores from all applicants.
Penn and Princeton are optional (for this application cycle at least) and Columbia is permanently test-optional.

Does anyone know if Ivy coaches at the test-optional schools require athletes to submit scores even if the school itself doesn't require it?
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

LuckyLaxMD wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:44 pm
I know that all Ivies are not created equal when it comes to the academic admission bar. The bar is definitely different for each Ivy. I'm not sure if the bar is varied by athlete within one ivy, where more desirable athletes are allowed a lower test score.

Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, and Brown (plus Cornell next year) require test scores from all applicants.
Penn and Princeton are optional (for this application cycle at least) and Columbia is permanently test-optional.

Does anyone know if Ivy coaches at the test-optional schools require athletes to submit scores even if the school itself doesn't require it?
It can depend. The best approach for the player is to continue to test and then if your testing isn’t where it needs to be, my understanding is that the coach can opt not to submit it, but that puts lots of pressure on the GPA and rigor of the school.

I know some Ivy coaches are very transparent throughout the process and guide their prospects really well. Some others, not so much.

Some ivies also tier their sports so lacrosse might be able to get kids in who have a lower academic index than their counterparts who don’t do the same.

Very tough out there but getting a spot at these programs can be a golden ticket for life. Some of these school have an acceptance rate of less than 5% for general population.
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

LuckyLaxMD wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:44 pm

I don't see the lure of Ivy Schools. There is very little *recent* evidence that says being burdened by the student loans you'll receive will ever amount to any ROI above many non-Ivy schools. Because education is a lot more accessible by individuals nowadays, I feel like the Ivy system is a scam. They hang their hat on a few billionaire kids and one-offs to make everyone else think they'll have the same success. Otherwise, enjoy your student loans at a 5% interest rate (if you're lucky) at the amount of buying a home while all other college grads are finishing college with little to no debt, comparitively, and buying their first home with all of that money.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

There are indeed schools that offer academic and post college job experiences that rival the ivies.
But not a lot.
And ivies have fantastic financial aid resources. I think your supposition that an ivy student will graduate with lots of student loans is mistaken.

What really separates the ivies from most other division one schools (Stanford, Duke are similar) are 1) the academic talent level of the student body as a whole, from top to bottom, and 2) the alumni network in business, the arts and the sciences.

So for the right student athlete, they offer a fairly differentiated experience.

Not better for everyone—but for an academically inclined student athlete, the ivies and Duke and Stanford are tough to match in division 1.
SpartansRule

Post by SpartansRule »

Agreed on the financial aid piece. The rep that they are a lot more expensive is just inaccurate in our experience.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:27 pm There are indeed schools that offer academic and post college job experiences that rival the ivies.
But not a lot.
And ivies have fantastic financial aid resources. I think your supposition that an ivy student will graduate with lots of student loans is mistaken.

What really separates the ivies from most other division one schools (Stanford, Duke are similar) are 1) the academic talent level of the student body as a whole, from top to bottom, and 2) the alumni network in business, the arts and the sciences.

So for the right student athlete, they offer a fairly differentiated experience.

Not better for everyone—but for an academically inclined student athlete, the ivies and Duke and Stanford are tough to match in division 1.
This is spot on.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”