Tufts 2025

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nescac commit

Re: Tufts 2025

Post by nescac commit »

ncaalax2010 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:34 pm Wow, this is not good for Tufts or The Program!
Does anyone know who the players were?
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Seems like there has to be more to the story. Too many players were effected by this. What is interesting is that it was a recent graduate that was leading this training. Did he overdo it because of in experience. One or two players i can see but 12. This is not something that is common. That is what makes it crazy.
nelaxman

Post by nelaxman »

Why is Tufts alumni working these guys out. He isn’t even affiliated with strength staff. Not smartest move from Tufts coaching stuff putting some many players at serious risk. Lots of Parents are pissed off right now!

https://theprogram.org/our-team/
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

What a bunch of jerk’s those Tufts lax players are!! Ok, for those clueless forum browsers (and there are quite a few) that is a joke. Here’s the deal, it’s unfortunate for sure and getting waaaaaay too much press for sure. Most of the boys enjoyed the training, not necessarily during the workout but felt accomplished afterward. I don’t know a single parent who’s pissed off, and I know most of them, so that’s fake news. It’s a big nothing burger. I suspect the training prolly won’t be conducted again, which may or may not be unfortunate. I remember plenty of guys puking during tough workouts back in the day. I have never heard of the condition rhabdo in my life before this week.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

What a bunch of jerk’s those Tufts lax players are!! Ok, for those clueless forum browsers (and there are quite a few) that is a joke. Here’s the deal, it’s unfortunate for sure and getting waaaaaay too much press for sure. Most of the boys enjoyed the training, not necessarily during the workout but felt accomplished afterward. I don’t know a single parent who’s pissed off, and I know most of them, so that’s fake news. It’s a big nothing burger. I suspect the training prolly won’t be conducted again, which may or may not be unfortunate. I remember plenty of guys puking during tough workouts back in the day. I have never heard of the condition rhabdo in my life before this week.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some seriously hardo behavior putting together a workout for a Monday in September that hospitalized five players. Lacrosse's general obsession with the military, first responders, and the desire to be perceived as taking a "blue collar" approach are all bizarre to me. 90% of these kids are going into finance, there's no need to cosplay as special forces instead of using the multi-million dollar training & athletics facilities on campus.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Uhm, not connected to the Tufts program so OK, if you say so, but I would be shocked if parents whose kids ended up in the hospital (many of whom would have heard of rhabdo) were not pissed. If 12 kids really got rhabdo (which can result in permanent kidney damage) then that is not at all akin to puking after running and represents a session gone catastrophically wrong. And no, the training won’t be conducted again.
acousticbiker

Post by acousticbiker »

Not a great reason to hit mainstream media: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... cle-injury

Alum was ex Navy Seal
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

callaxdad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:49 pm What a bunch of jerk’s those Tufts lax players are!! Ok, for those clueless forum browsers (and there are quite a few) that is a joke. Here’s the deal, it’s unfortunate for sure and getting waaaaaay too much press for sure. Most of the boys enjoyed the training, not necessarily during the workout but felt accomplished afterward. I don’t know a single parent who’s pissed off, and I know most of them, so that’s fake news. It’s a big nothing burger. I suspect the training prolly won’t be conducted again, which may or may not be unfortunate. I remember plenty of guys puking during tough workouts back in the day. I have never heard of the condition rhabdo in my life before this week.
Well, someone was pissed enough to leak it the press. It had to be someone close to the team. Nobody gives a s*^t about fall D3 lacrosse practices.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:05 pm Uhm, not connected to the Tufts program so OK, if you say so, but I would be shocked if parents whose kids ended up in the hospital (many of whom would have heard of rhabdo) were not pissed. If 12 kids really got rhabdo (which can result in permanent kidney damage) then that is not at all akin to puking after running and represents a session gone catastrophically wrong. And no, the training won’t be conducted again.
Well said, and definitely not a “big nothing burger.” 5 players still hospitalized from a Monday work out is concerning. Hopefully there will be a full recovery, and yeah the training won’t be done again.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

nelaxman wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:33 pm Why is Tufts alumni working these guys out. He isn’t even affiliated with strength staff. Not smartest move from Tufts coaching stuff putting some many players at serious risk. Lots of Parents are pissed off right now!

https://theprogram.org/our-team/
Was it definitely The Program? I don’t see any mention of the SEALS on their staff, and the only Tufts alum they have listed is a former Marine who would have aged out of SEALS eligibility in roughly 2006.

Regardless, rhabdo is both very serious and completely unnecessary. The investigation into this should be interesting (and hopefully made public).
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

SouthieLax wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:57 pm
pcowlax wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:05 pm Uhm, not connected to the Tufts program so OK, if you say so, but I would be shocked if parents whose kids ended up in the hospital (many of whom would have heard of rhabdo) were not pissed. If 12 kids really got rhabdo (which can result in permanent kidney damage) then that is not at all akin to puking after running and represents a session gone catastrophically wrong. And no, the training won’t be conducted again.
Well said, and definitely not a “big nothing burger.” 5 players still hospitalized from a Monday work out is concerning. Hopefully there will be a full recovery, and yeah the training won’t be done again.
Agreed - I think this was a mistake and could be the result of instructor inexperience. It did say a recent grad which suggest the person might have pushed too hard. I am wondering also if after the practice, a bunch of them went out and had some beers which would contribute to something like this. I think that it happened to so many kids which is perplexing. The condition is rare which makes make the number troubling. In any case, it a lessen learned that they should probably tone it down a bit. Hopefully all the kids will recover. That is the most important thing - their health.
Last edited by The12lov3 on Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

The12lov3 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:27 pm
SouthieLax wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:57 pm
Agreed - I think this was a mistake and could be the result of instructor inexperience. It did say a recent grad which suggest the person might have pushed too hard. I am wondering also if after the practice, a bunch of them went out and had some beers which would contribute to something like this. It is not the fact that it happened but the number. The condition is rare which makes make the number troubling. In any case, it a lessen learned that they should probably tone it down a bit. Hopefully all the kids will recover. That is the most important thing - their health.
Yeah, now it’s on ESPN. A very bad incident.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... cle-injury
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Our HS team did "The Program" about 10 years ago without any post injuries or concerns, as have quite a few other teams. Typically, when Rhabdo rears its head it is from not being 'properly' hydrated pre and post physical exertion. Lingering and post alcohol will certainly expedite it and those that may also be nursing an illness, or certain meds.

Tufts wins it all this year, after the 'team' building event.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

Fellahs
This story is definitely not a “big nothing burger” and the fall out will likely be fairly significant in my humble opinion. Lawsuits will be quietly settled, jobs in the men’s lax program lost and changes implemented. Although this thread embraces and celebrates all things college lax, Tufts and other schools with their high academic reputation are not in the “business of athletics” as some of the larger D1 programs are. Players are hospitalized 5 days after a Navy Seal-esque workout…..and some posters are surmising “pre or post work out alcohol in systems may have played a role”! Wake up folks - this is a serious situation and will no doubt rankle the donor base who pride themselves on Tufts being an academic powerhouse and don’t give a hoot about men’s lax! Would be surprised if the Board isn’t meeting this weekend to craft a crisis management approach!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Red4Life wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:51 pm Fellahs
This story is definitely not a “big nothing burger” and the fall out will likely be fairly significant in my humble opinion. Lawsuits will be quietly settled, jobs in the men’s lax program lost and changes implemented. Although this thread embraces and celebrates all things college lax, Tufts and other schools with their high academic reputation are not in the “business of athletics” as some of the larger D1 programs are. Players are hospitalized 5 days after a Navy Seal-esque workout…..and some posters are surmising “pre or post work out alcohol in systems may have played a role”! Wake up folks - this is a serious situation and will no doubt rankle the donor base who pride themselves on Tufts being an academic powerhouse and don’t give a hoot about men’s lax! Would be surprised if the Board isn’t meeting this weekend to craft a crisis management approach!
yep
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:05 pm
Red4Life wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:51 pm Fellahs
yep
We will see, but I suspect it is a case of overzealous reporting because there is no way a bunch of healthy college athletes developed Rhabdo, which seems to be pretty rare, after a hard work out, even extremely hard work out. Maybe 1-2 who were not in shape to begin with at the most. I've been through many, many challenging military workouts as a Marine infantry officer (also Ranger School, which basically pushes you to your limit day after day) and I think I may have seen it once at OCS.

In an event, I have seen/read/heard enough r-word reporting over the last few to doubt almost every thing I see/read/hear, but maybe I'm wrong. Check back in a week or so.
mdlaxdad

Post by mdlaxdad »

First off, I want to wish all these gentlemen a safe recovery. Not sure how or why they were put into this situation, but their health should be the most important thing right now, not the fall out for the program. Secondly, what is the point of this exercise? These are division 3 athletes, and while some may join the elite force after college, putting 18-22 year olds through a grueling environment, known for its brutality, is inhumane and disturbing that an adult would think this is ok. I’m sure this alum will receive some backlash, but it was the coach’s decision to invite him and thus his responsibility. Also let’s cut this “voluntary workout” bs, everyone knows that so stop hiding. At the end of the day, this is division 3 not the special forces. Let boys be boys, sure have fall ball and workouts while they enjoy their off-season, but this, I don’t know how to explain it.
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:48 pm Our HS team did "The Program" about 10 years ago without any post injuries or concerns, as have quite a few other teams. Typically, when Rhabdo rears its head it is from not being 'properly' hydrated pre and post physical exertion. Lingering and post alcohol will certainly expedite it and those that may also be nursing an illness, or certain meds.

Tufts wins it all this year, after the 'team' building event.
The inevitable and justified legal fallout that follows in the coming weeks and months will potentially alter the trajectory of the program for several years …
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

mdlaxdad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:21 pm First off, I want to wish all these gentlemen a safe recovery. Not sure how or why they were put into this situation, but their health should be the most important thing right now, not the fall out for the program. Secondly, what is the point of this exercise? These are division 3 athletes, and while some may join the elite force after college, putting 18-22 year olds through a grueling environment, known for its brutality, is inhumane and disturbing that an adult would think this is ok. I’m sure this alum will receive some backlash, but it was the coach’s decision to invite him and thus his responsibility. Also let’s cut this “voluntary workout” bs, everyone knows that so stop hiding. At the end of the day, this is division 3 not the special forces. Let boys be boys, sure have fall ball and workouts while they enjoy their off-season, but this, I don’t know how to explain it.
Good evening - we are in agreement - My intent was not to diminish the importance of the boys health but to respond pointedly to the prior posters who have diminished the horrific situation that Tufts Men’s Lax team had put their student athletes into. The previous offering using the term “big nothing burger” caught my attention and that was the the goal of the post.

All that being said / those that think this incident will be viewed as a “one time” mistake and wrists slapped are way out of touch with the current reality of schools such as Tufts tolerance for embarrassing events sullying their global brand of academic excellence. I couldn’t agree with you more - these are 19-22 year old students athletes fresh back from summer - these kids are destined for success in their chosen field - which largely won’t be Military or Pro Lax related!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”