Johns Hopkins 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by HopFan16 »

You guys sound like curmudgeons. That is the same platform that Duke, Syracuse, North Carolina, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, etc. all use. Nobody outside of the small lacrosse friends/family/fan bubble is buying any player-specific lacrosse gear to begin with. When's the last time you were walking down the street and saw a Brennan O'Neill Duke jersey? Oh, never? Regardless, it's nice that they at least have the option now. The "store" literally just opened yesterday I'm sure the quality of t-shirt design will improve over time. Chill out
coda

Post by coda »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:59 am I have read of several (much more high-profile) cases where the NIL recipient is publicised doing something (like showing at the bookstore), and that is to avoid the appearace of pay-for-play.
varies quite a bit, but most of these guys just need to show up to 1 or 2 charity events a semester to collect their NIL money.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

so on X a Hopkins defensemen makes a good play at practice with the caption "we get 4 years of this" He is wearing practice jersey 0 which is not a roster number. So who is this - Eye/Stickler or Kaestner? Not that 1 practice play moves the earth out of its orbit - just wondering
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:58 pm so on X a Hopkins defensemen makes a good play at practice with the caption "we get 4 years of this" He is wearing practice jersey 0 which is not a roster number. So who is this - Eye/Stickler or Kaestner? Not that 1 practice play moves the earth out of its orbit - just wondering
Eye
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:56 am You guys sound like curmudgeons. That is the same platform that Duke, Syracuse, North Carolina, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, etc. all use. Nobody outside of the small lacrosse friends/family/fan bubble is buying any player-specific lacrosse gear to begin with. When's the last time you were walking down the street and saw a Brennan O'Neill Duke jersey? Oh, never? Regardless, it's nice that they at least have the option now. The "store" literally just opened yesterday I'm sure the quality of t-shirt design will improve over time. Chill out
They have the capacity to make cool stuff-we see the coaching staff and program alumni wearing it all the time in videos. Try selling that for NIL/the book store instead of MS-Word art looking stuff without the Johns Hopkins on it and maybe they'll move some merch.

I see these recruiting posts and start to miss the days of classes with guys with top 100 rankings of 1, 7, 19, 29, 48, 59, 78, 85 plus some 51 or 16 posts about non 100 guys they've liked then I remember how that era ended. We will see how this goes for PM, he's earned the benefit of the doubt-for now, I hope.

With the defense on paper looking stronger and more experienced than the offense and certainly faceoff unit I wonder how they try to leverage that next spring to help boost the offense especially early as some of the younger players work their way in.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Pretty slow going on the recruiting front. This staff definitely does things differently than the rest of the top programs in terms of recruiting. Really seems like PM wants "his" guys, and that they may not be exactly the same guys everyone else wants. This may be a good thing, or it may be a bad thing. Hard to tell at this point. I will say that the roster looks quite solid to me - a lot of established guys and a fair bit of unproven guys with real upside.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:19 pm They have the capacity to make cool stuff-we see the coaching staff and program alumni wearing it all the time in videos. Try selling that for NIL/the book store instead of MS-Word art looking stuff without the Johns Hopkins on it and maybe they'll move some merch.
Who cares? Coaches/players/alumni (especially those that contribute some money) get the newest best stuff - way of the world. I think I posted a link a couple years back when Hopkins told e-mail lists about a team store and it had NAG blue jays on shorts and other stuff. It can be found. Go to Fanatics - all sorts of stuff in the right blue color - the baseball jerseys look sharp. But again who cares? The program better not be dependent upon how many t-shirts are sold.

Last year Hopkins had 3 players committed before September 16 - and one was re-class. This year 4 so far with 2 re -classifications. Sound familiar?
jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:19 pm With the defense on paper looking stronger and more experienced than the offense and certainly faceoff unit I wonder how they try to leverage that next spring to help boost the offense especially early as some of the younger players work their way in.
Not sure what this means at all. First - the DIII transfer at face-offs may make a big difference in experience - he might not - have to wait and see. If you are asking about whether Hopkins will continue the trend of last year being a fairly deep in the shot clock more methodical team to optimize the rest and strain on the defense - it is certainly possible. If you are asking about whether they will try to run more and create more things like pole goals etc. another wait and see.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:59 pm Pretty slow going on the recruiting front. This staff definitely does things differently than the rest of the top programs in terms of recruiting. Really seems like PM wants "his" guys, and that they may not be exactly the same guys everyone else wants. This may be a good thing, or it may be a bad thing. Hard to tell at this point. I will say that the roster looks quite solid to me - a lot of established guys and a fair bit of unproven guys with real upside.
PM will bring in, as usual, a very good recruiting class. He is bringing in a very good transfer class (stellar at SSDM). PM and his staff have done a very good job at player development.

All of this leads to a very good team that will consistently “compete” for a B1G regular season and/or tournament title and regularly make the NCAA tournament and quarterfinals.

What I don’t see yet is a program that is building towards a national championship.

Hope PM proves me wrong every year for the next 20 years.

Go Blue Jays! #WeWantMore!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Are you ssying you have not yet seen a difference between Tony and PM?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 7:01 pm Are you ssying you have not yet seen a difference between Tony and PM?
Tony Seaman reached the Final Four 4x during an era when Princeton and Syracuse were at their peaks.

PM has done a very good job as Head Coach.

It’s just that “very good” doesn’t usually bring home a national championship.

Again … hope PM proves me wrong.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 7:44 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:58 pm so on X a Hopkins defensemen makes a good play at practice with the caption "we get 4 years of this" He is wearing practice jersey 0 which is not a roster number. So who is this - Eye/Stickler or Kaestner? Not that 1 practice play moves the earth out of its orbit - just wondering
Eye
When in doubt it's probably safe to just assume its the Lawrenceville recruit these days :lol:
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:59 pm Pretty slow going on the recruiting front. This staff definitely does things differently than the rest of the top programs in terms of recruiting. Really seems like PM wants "his" guys, and that they may not be exactly the same guys everyone else wants. This may be a good thing, or it may be a bad thing. Hard to tell at this point. I will say that the roster looks quite solid to me - a lot of established guys and a fair bit of unproven guys with real upside.
I guess I'm confused what you are basing this on? Like I'm sure our staff has some diamond in the rough recruiting targets just like every other staff but they surely still kicked the tires and contacted some more consensus highly ranked recruits at midnight day of that have already now been "lost" to other programs. For the two higher ranked offensive recruits that have already signed on from the 26 class maybe PM and company sold a little harder and offered more to them than other programs though but much of it is going to come down to the recruits themselves making the decision.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:00 am
Eye
When in doubt it's probably safe to just assume its the Lawrenceville recruit these days :lol:
The book on Eye in HS was that he was a very offensive-minded LSM — both literally (aggressive in transition/scoring) but also in terms of his cover mindset — lot of flashy checks and stick skills. Not sure he was the most fundamentally sound cover defender of all time. Will be interesting if Koesterer can help him clean some stuff up without losing what made him an attractive recruit in the first place.
I guess I'm confused what you are basing this on? Like I'm sure our staff has some diamond in the rough recruiting targets just like every other staff but they surely still kicked the tires and contacted some more consensus highly ranked recruits at midnight day of that have already now been "lost" to other programs. For the two higher ranked offensive recruits that have already signed on from the 26 class maybe PM and company sold a little harder and offered more to them than other programs though but much of it is going to come down to the recruits themselves making the decision.
There's a story up on the Team 91 blog about Testa's recruitment. Coach Kelly called him at midnight and then flew down to Florida the next day to have dinner with him. My guess is the staff had him ranked a lot higher than #47.

Mitch Pehlke has a video up about the top 5 middie who just committed to Duke. A bunch of the usual suspects called/texted him on 9/1 (Duke, UVA, Maryland, Rutgers for some reason even though they had no chance), but Hopkins wasn't one of them. Clearly wasn't someone they wanted to focus on. So I think there's some truth to both sides — the staff appears to view certain guys a bit differently from consensus, but obviously there are several highly touted kids that they like a lot and make an effort to get. Like Millon last year — if he didn't have a brother at UVA already, the Jays may have landed him.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Yeah I just finished watching that. I enjoyed Pehlke's content last year with Millon so was glad to see he followed another guy this year and hope he keeps this up in the future. Definitely a bit surprised we wouldn't have reached out to that young man similar to Millon the year prior but it is possible maybe there wasn't a need there somehow or they just thought they'd be wasting time if there was already an inside line kinda knowledge we weren't privy to from the video.

Of course presumably you've got a top 4 or 5 on your "draft board" who are going to be the first midnight calls from your staff. Neat to see that Testa was one of Kelly's first calls if not the first so that means they valued him. Wonder who Milliman called this year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Video on Instagram of English dodging/cutting and looking no worse for wear. I thought he might take it easy this fall but he's clearly good to go. Great sign.

Curious about Bing Burch's recruitment — IL's #33 ranked player, son of Sheehan Stanwick Burch and nephew(!!) to Steele, Wells, and Shack. Grew up a big Blue Jay fan from what I understand. Figured you could pencil him in as a Jay but he's probably doing the smart thing and taking other visits. Hope we ultimately end up with him, would be a cool story. I'm sure Georgetown where his mom went is interested too.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:13 am
Eye
The book on Eye in HS was that he was a very offensive-minded LSM — both literally (aggressive in transition/scoring) but also in terms of his cover mindset — lot of flashy checks and stick skills. Not sure he was the most fundamentally sound cover defender of all time. Will be interesting if Koesterer can help him clean some stuff up without losing what made him an attractive recruit in the first place.
There's a story up on the Team 91 blog about Testa's recruitment. Coach Kelly called him at midnight and then flew down to Florida the next day to have dinner with him. My guess is the staff had him ranked a lot higher than #47.

Mitch Pehlke has a video up about the top 5 middie who just committed to Duke. A bunch of the usual suspects called/texted him on 9/1 (Duke, UVA, Maryland, Rutgers for some reason even though they had no chance), but Hopkins wasn't one of them. Clearly wasn't someone they wanted to focus on. So I think there's some truth to both sides — the staff appears to view certain guys a bit differently from consensus, but obviously there are several highly touted kids that they like a lot and make an effort to get. Like Millon last year — if he didn't have a brother at UVA already, the Jays may have landed him.
I think there are some clues in the staff’s prioritization of Testa as to what they value on the offensive end. He’s in the same mold as English, Ayers, Iler and others: top-end quickness to gain separation, with vision and willingness to move the ball quickly off the initial dodge. Guys like that are gold in an era where defenses are sophisticated and athletic. The kids that are ranked highly (and remember that recruiting is still “early”; these are kids who are rising juniors) tend to be the ones that have the ball in their stick all the time and generate their own offense, particularly in club settings against same-aged players. Get the guys that are likely to be able to initiate generate offense at the D1 level, then fill in the rest (R and L range shooters, space-finders/ finishers, etc). Doesn’t mean you can’t take a shot at the Millons of the world, but you can still run an offense if you don’t land those types.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Huge commit for the Jays — 5-star middie from St. Anthony's Jake Johnston. He is a 5-star and #16 for Xanders but high 4-star and #22 on IL. If you use NLF as a tiebreaker, he's a 5-star and #13 there, so let's call him a 5-star. Considered the best all-around middie in the class and projects to play both ways in college. He gets Tevlin, Conrad, Currier comparisons. Grandson of Army legend Jack Emmer.

https://x.com/tyxanders/status/1836156366756679831
https://x.com/natlaxfed/status/1836156199785377833
https://www.instagram.com/p/DACJAUCP5SH/?img_index=1

His announcement has a photo of him as a young kid in front of the blue crab at Homewood that is definitely not photoshopped (for real this time).
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:36 pm Huge commit for the Jays — 5-star middie from St. Anthony's Jake Johnston. He is a 5-star and #16 for Xanders but high 4-star and #22 on IL. If you use NLF as a tiebreaker, he's a 5-star and #13 there, so let's call him a 5-star. Considered the best all-around middie in the class and projects to play both ways in college. He gets Tevlin, Conrad, Currier comparisons. Grandson of Army legend Jack Emmer.

His announcement has a photo of him as a young kid in front of the blue crab at Homewood that is definitely not photoshopped (for real this time).
By all reports, Jacob Johnston is an amazing get.

I can imagine him playing right away on the wings for faceoffs. From what I read, he’s great on gbs, can play defense well, and is a good offensive middie. Play the wings on FOs … win the ball and stay on offense … lose the ball and stay on as SSDM.

Could take regular rotations at SSDM and maybe on third line midfield.

Suspect he will mostly play SSDM, but who knows.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Jacob Johnston

Post by DocBarrister »

Can imagine Johnston causing turnovers, pushing transition O, and initiating early offense off of FO wins. Looks athletic. Strengthens Hopkins in between the lines.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

PM’s first 5* (consensus) recruit?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:36 pm Huge commit for the Jays — 5-star middie from St. Anthony's Jake Johnston. He is a 5-star and #16 for Xanders but high 4-star and #22 on IL. If you use NLF as a tiebreaker, he's a 5-star and #13 there, so let's call him a 5-star. Considered the best all-around middie in the class and projects to play both ways in college. He gets Tevlin, Conrad, Currier comparisons. Grandson of Army legend Jack Emmer.

Very cool. Crab also looks like it's had a paint job.

https://pages.jh.edu/gazette/2005/08aug05/08lax.html

Schwartzman(who the original was meant to imitate with his 2 and goalie stick)'s probably pleased they kept the goalie stick to honor him and added some muscle to his claws with the paint, but disappointed they took his number off there and changed the jersey to make him look heavier. He was also often a sweatpants guy in goal in game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”