Re: Recruiting

Post by WLaxdad »

hmmm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:40 am
cltlax wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:29 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:56 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:13 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:24 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:12 pm
laxfanrs wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:07 pm Florida seems like the new hot spot. There are so many positives to going there, next year it is going to be a very attractive spot for 27s.The $ is definitely good. Who doesn’t want to live in Flordia? Also, that is a place where top recruits can go and know that they will get playing time. Schools like BC can get top recruits every year but still look at the transfer portal for their starters.
Florida has always been an attractive spot. And in the past O'Leary had a very close relationship with Carol Rose, which has faded due to issues well discussed on this board.

But UF isn't for everyone. A very strong off-the-field "culture", that appeals to many girls and scares many others away.

Next year, I think Florida will do very well, mainly because there are 2 top 8 clubs within 2-3 hours of campus in Eagle Stix and FL Select, and a couple other florida girls playing on top out of state clubs. I would expect UF to fill at least half its class from those 2 clubs
UF certainly has a reputation for not being a close knit roster. Very cliquish based on who plays and who doesn't.
My point was more about the hard-drinking culture. About 2/3 of the roster including a majority of starters go out and get bombed once or twice per week. My 25 daughter went on a visit there first weekend of September and was immediately put off by girls opening talking about how drunk they would get that night.
Well, that's certainly not isolated to UF. Not even close. It's just part of lax culture on both the men's and women's side for the most part. Not saying it's right, but it's true.
I'd even say it's just not lacrosse culture. Soccer and other teams go out pretty hard at many schools.
Sure. It's not just notorious "party schools" like UF. The Ivy teams are notorious partiers as well. Google "UPenn women's lacrosse destroys bar" and you will find a article with the headline:
Penn Women's Lacrosse Team in Trouble After Allegedly Flashing Genitals and Doing Other Awesome I Mean Deplorable Things at Fado

Maybe the fact the the players at UF were openly discussing their plans in front of his daughter was different than on other visits, but I guarantee you that every other team is doing the same thing on the few days off that they get in the fall and spring. The girls bust their asses between classes, studying, practice, film, lifts, travel, games, etc. When they get a day off they are going to blow off some steam the night before.
:shock: I googled it, wow. When an Irish pub in Philly tells you your out of control your really OUT OF CONTROL!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Old story around here, but, yeah, it certainly was news at the time.
LaxUpstate

Post by LaxUpstate »

Dewald to Florida
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

WLaxdad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:53 pm
hmmm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:40 am
cltlax wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:29 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:56 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:13 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:24 am
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:12 pm
laxfanrs wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:07 pm Florida seems like the new hot spot. There are so many positives to going there, next year it is going to be a very attractive spot for 27s.The $ is definitely good. Who doesn’t want to live in Flordia? Also, that is a place where top recruits can go and know that they will get playing time. Schools like BC can get top recruits every year but still look at the transfer portal for their starters.
Florida has always been an attractive spot. And in the past O'Leary had a very close relationship with Carol Rose, which has faded due to issues well discussed on this board.

But UF isn't for everyone. A very strong off-the-field "culture", that appeals to many girls and scares many others away.

Next year, I think Florida will do very well, mainly because there are 2 top 8 clubs within 2-3 hours of campus in Eagle Stix and FL Select, and a couple other florida girls playing on top out of state clubs. I would expect UF to fill at least half its class from those 2 clubs
UF certainly has a reputation for not being a close knit roster. Very cliquish based on who plays and who doesn't.
My point was more about the hard-drinking culture. About 2/3 of the roster including a majority of starters go out and get bombed once or twice per week. My 25 daughter went on a visit there first weekend of September and was immediately put off by girls opening talking about how drunk they would get that night.
Well, that's certainly not isolated to UF. Not even close. It's just part of lax culture on both the men's and women's side for the most part. Not saying it's right, but it's true.
I'd even say it's just not lacrosse culture. Soccer and other teams go out pretty hard at many schools.
Sure. It's not just notorious "party schools" like UF. The Ivy teams are notorious partiers as well. Google "UPenn women's lacrosse destroys bar" and you will find a article with the headline:
Penn Women's Lacrosse Team in Trouble After Allegedly Flashing Genitals and Doing Other Awesome I Mean Deplorable Things at Fado

Maybe the fact the the players at UF were openly discussing their plans in front of his daughter was different than on other visits, but I guarantee you that every other team is doing the same thing on the few days off that they get in the fall and spring. The girls bust their asses between classes, studying, practice, film, lifts, travel, games, etc. When they get a day off they are going to blow off some steam the night before.
:shock: I googled it, wow. When an Irish pub in Philly tells you your out of control your really OUT OF CONTROL!
I hear Duke lacrosse likes to get down. 😏
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

with the Dewald commitment, Florida is now at FIVE 5 star rated players. That's the most a non UNC school has had since Clemson last year and their best class ever on paper. Impressive. especially with me singing the downfall of the program last summer with the arrival of Florida state. The air must have been extra crisp in Gainesville this month.

Laake and Bufardi still out there

top classes right now are

1. Florida
2. BC
3. UNC

Maryland after starting out hot has kind of fallen off the face of the earth and the class is suddenly looking well below average compared to other competing schools. It's nice to get the #1 player, but currently they only have 4 total commits, only one 5 star.

Syracuse, UVA, Michigan, and even Stanford, yes Stanford, has surpass them in the space of 2 days. I'd be very worried if i was a Maryland fan.

Best hope out there for MD is Laake. Local kid. must get for MD

Clemson also fell back to earth in a big way. Actually..this class is pretty terrible for them. Based on the standard they set last year. Zero ranked players. in context..8 out of their 10 commitments last year were ranked players. they landed the top 2 players in the class. Don't know what to make of this. 23' they had a top 10 class. 24' they weren't even ranked. 25' they had a top 2 class. 26' they won't be ranked. Maybe it's time to cool down on the Clemson hype. If they don't start racking up some wins on the field, this might be a short lived thing. or at the very best, inconsistent
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:17 am with the Dewald commitment, Florida is now at FIVE 5 star rated players. That's the most a non UNC school has had since Clemson last year and their best class ever on paper. Impressive. especially with me singing the downfall of the program last summer with the arrival of Florida state. The air must have been extra crisp in Gainesville this month.

1. Florida
2. BC
3. UNC

Maryland after starting out hot has kind of fallen off the face of the earth and the class is suddenly looking well below average compared to other competing schools. It's nice to get the #1 player, but currently they only have 4 total commits, only one 5 star.

Syracuse, UVA, Michigan, and even Stanford, yes Stanford, has surpass them in the space of 2 days. I'd be very worried if i was a Maryland fan.

Clemson also fell back to earth in a big way. Actually..this class is pretty terrible for them. Based on the standard they set last year. Zero ranked players. in context..8 out of their 10 commitments last year were ranked players. they landed the top 2 players in the class. Don't know what to make of this. 23' they had a top 10 class. 24' they weren't even ranked. 25' they had a top 2 class. 26' they won't be ranked. Maybe it's time to cool down on the Clemson hype. If they don't start racking up some wins on the field, this might be a short lived thing. or at the very best, inconsistent
Well you were wrong about Florida. I hope and think you are wrong about Clemson as well. 😁 They’ll be top 20 going forward. Having a spectacular 25 can afford them to have a sub par 26 year. I’m guessing they are not like UNC that’s going to bring in the best players every single year. Maybe the kids knew they had better chances to play somewhere else. Maybe Dabo was not available this month 😉. Whatever it is, I think they'll be fine, But definitely not a good class for them.
funlaxmom

Post by funlaxmom »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:17 am with the Dewald commitment, Florida is now at FIVE 5 star rated players. That's the most a non UNC school has had since Clemson last year and their best class ever on paper. Impressive. especially with me singing the downfall of the program last summer with the arrival of Florida state. The air must have been extra crisp in Gainesville this month.

1. Florida
2. BC
3. UNC

There is typically a small correlation between the stars assigned by inside lacrosse player rankings and recruiting class success. I would bet half of the best players available don’t have a “star ranking” because they never attended, or were invited to, an inside lacrosse event. No pay, no stars.
MDstateMan

Post by MDstateMan »

funlaxmom wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:40 am

1. Florida
2. BC
3. UNC

There is typically a small correlation between the stars assigned by inside lacrosse player rankings and recruiting class success. I would bet half of the best players available don’t have a “star ranking” because they never attended, or were invited to, an inside lacrosse event. No pay, no stars.
Fair point, people are way blowing up the star ranking system. As for Clemson, a lot of top players don't want to follow another top player from the grad year before. Obviously you can have multiple great attackers/midfield but I do think kids like to be the shiny big thing at a school.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

funlaxmom wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:40 am

1. Florida
2. BC
3. UNC

Stars have little to nothing to do with attending an IL event. In late August, IL reaches out to certain college coaches and asks them who their top targets are. That is why all of the 4 and 5 star girls tend to go to top schools. This helps IL ensure the ranking are accurate.
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

IL also reaches out to top club program directors around the country and asks them who their top players are in the class. They do gather information on players from multiple sources, including their own events. For the most part, they start following and asking about top kids a full year before they rank them. All in all, I think the star system is pretty accurate with 4 & 5 star kids. Do they miss some, I'm sure they do. I don't think its a perfect system, but its the most accurate one out there. I guess the bigger question is, should there be a star ranking system at all? I feel there should be.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Curious how many people work at IL? My guess is very few.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

There is an undeniable correlation between highly ranked/regarded players players and collegiate success. This is the same in every other sport.

In Football, teams with the best talent win more.
Same in men and womens soccer, mens lacrosse, softball, volleyball, fieldhockey, etc. YOU might not agree with the rankings, which is fine. But there is a reason why the Top schools in these sports are where they are. Recruiting talent. and talent is ranked. So yes Stars do matter.

There is actual data on past recruiting rankings and players in women's lacrosse you can look back to and see how they perform in college.

why is this such a controversial and labored topic like theres no data to back it up?

In Women's lacrosse you can tell who the best players are from around 7 and 8th grade. They standout like a sore thumb. IL just sorts those players amongs themselves based staff evaluation and input from coaches around the country. Coaches who know more about the game than many of us. Then they have discussions and create a consensus. They are often more right than they are wrong. It's not that complicated
Last edited by Kleizaster on Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Does anyone else find it interesting that of Stony Brook's 7 commits so far, only one is from Long Island?

Even if the Spallina leaving rumors are true, you would think that the school would still do well locally, especially with a very strong year in LI talent.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:48 am Does anyone else find it interesting that of Stony Brook's 7 commits so far, only one is from Long Island?

Even if the Spallina leaving rumors are true, you would think that the school would still do well locally, especially with a very strong year in LI talent.
I’d assume the opposite - that kids often don’t want to stick super close to home. Mine certainly don’t. If cost is a factor and you’re talking instate tuition, like at PSU or UMD, that’s different. But for a school with a commuter school vibe that’s quite close to home and I’d think the local choice becomes less attractive for recruits.
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:48 am Does anyone else find it interesting that of Stony Brook's 7 commits so far, only one is from Long Island?

They aren’t really known for getting those A team kids. In fact he’s been open when interviewed that he usually gets kids no one is really looking at, or overlooked. Could just be that the local talent was out of his range.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

McLax9777 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:55 pm

They aren’t really known for getting those A team kids. In fact he’s been open when interviewed that he usually gets kids no one is really looking at, or overlooked. Could just be that the local talent was out of his range.
Maybe you are right. But there are still some very good Yellow Jacket B girls uncommitted. Assume they could pick up a couple.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

He will end up taking 2-3 girls from the top two 2026 YJ teams so Carol can say everyone committed D1. next summer they will change their commitment and go somewhere else.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

4-star defender Ashton TilFoil commits to UNC.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

uncfan1013 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:16 pm 4-star defender Ashton TilFoil commits to UNC.
Huge get!! Think she would have been five-star if she played at a top club. Of all UNC 26 recruits, I think she has best chance to play as a freshman.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:26 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:16 pm 4-star defender Ashton TilFoil commits to UNC.
Huge get!! Think she would have been five-star if she played at a top club. Of all UNC 26 recruits, I think she has best chance to play as a freshman.
The rich keep getting richer. They do an amazing job with recruiting.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”