Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:46 am A real estate agent steered my wife and I to a terrible neighborhood when we were looking to buy in CT. Another buddy was looking to spend $4MM to $6MM and the agent showed them homes in the $2MM which were similar to what they already owned….they agent told them she was showing them the homes because they were more “affordable”. Happens all the time.
So the agent blew $60k-$120k in commission for no good reason? People are stupid. Myself included some times.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 10:46 am A real estate agent steered my wife and I to a terrible neighborhood when we were looking to buy in CT. Another buddy was looking to spend $4MM to $6MM and the agent showed them homes in the $2MM which were similar to what they already owned….they agent told them she was showing them the homes because they were more “affordable”. Happens all the time.
So the agent blew $60k-$120k in commission for no good reason? People are stupid. Myself included some times.
That is the part of racism people don’t understand….people will put it ahead of their own self interest. A friend of my mother’s “grandmother” disowned him and his brother when she found out they were mixed race. The father had passed himself off as Greek or “Southern” Italian. They were living in Arlington, VA and had to flee when they were found out. Their “mother” stayed in Virginia. They fled to the north with their father…. The kids spent Summers and Thanksgiving and Christmas with the grandma (mother’s mom) up north until she disowned them. A person forgoing some commission money is nothing compared to that….BTW, the kids didn’t know they were “black” until they were on the train headed north and their dad told them. The father was a smart guy but became known as the town drunk. I wonder why….
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:42 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2024 3:30 pm
That is the part of racism people don’t understand….people will put it ahead of their own self interest.
+1000. Racism, sexism, classism.....all leaving money on the table because of ignorance/stupidity/bad HR/bad training, or all of the above.

The number of times I see bartenders (and the restaurant owner) lose out on money because of leading questions based on idiocy are mind-boggling.

You train for moving the high-margin wares. Go to a favorite restaurant and ask anyone there what the highest margin thing they have on the menu is, and you'll find that MAYBE the GM or the Head Chef knows, and that's it. So what happens? Poorly trained staff make untrained human assumptions about who they are serving. Not only can that lead to behaving offensively.... it usually means lost revenue as you assume a woman won't want a high end whiskey, or that a black woman won't love your best selling IPA.

It's America. You have to think about this stuff, and TRAIN people to pay attention to their own personal bias. Because like it or not, we all have them.

Can't tell you how many times we've had people walk right past our most knowledgable staffer because she's a woman, and instead asks questions of a man who's been with us for under a month....it goes both ways. The idea that racism and sexism doesn't exist in America is laughable...and tells me that a person is paying ZERO attention to their life in America. We ALL do it, and have to pay the F attention to keep it to a minimum. None of us are perfect....why it's so hard for so many Americans to admit this? Search me.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

But, is she a childless cat lady?

“A suburban Detroit judge is no longer handling cases after a court official turned over recordings of her making anti-gay insults and referring to Black people as lazy.

Oakland county probate judge Kathleen Ryan was removed from her docket on 27 August for unspecified misconduct. Now the court’s administrator has stepped forward to say he blew the whistle on her, secretly recording their phone calls.”

Oh, Michigan is a single party consent state, so no whingeing about the recording.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... -suspended
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jC4qwXTXIAw

"You have any outstanding warrants?"

Had that been a white guy the friggin cops would have left him alone. Imagine walking the streets with the damn cops stopping you, pulling their guns and threatening you. Do that to a white guy, or better yet, to a white gal, and this outrage would be major headlines all over the world.

One thing more and it goes to the matter of skewed crime statistics = had he resisted (even shown the slightest resistance) he would have been arrested by those bigoted cops. This happens thousands of times every year and is one more reason why there so many more blacks in prison than whites.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I'd recommend new book by Dana Bash & David Fisher

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life ... 6d2d3.html

Pretty much explains parts of Reconstruction and how it morphed into Jim Crow for over a 100 years -some parallels to what we are currently experiencing but for differing reasons. Especially parts about competing slates of electors, the role of the VP in counting electoral results (it's ceremonial only) and how it all affected the 1876 Presidential Election wherein a deal was brokered (The Electoral Count Act which was recently amended) to remove occupying Federal troops and return complete governance of Southern states to local control. Basically Southern Democrats conceded the results of the election Republican Rutherford Hayes (even though Democrat Samuel Tilden received 2 million more votes) in return for political control of former Confederate states and removal of Federal troops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1876_Unit ... l_election

As a amateur historian I was unaware of many of the details in this book and certainly was not a part of my AP American History course in HS.

And, as Yogi once said - "It's Deja Vu all over again!"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.reddit.com/r/MindBlowingThi ... ng_man_in/

Once again the stupid cops assuming that the black guy is the guilty party. How stupid can these idiots be?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:59 am https://www.reddit.com/r/MindBlowingThi ... ng_man_in/

Once again the stupid cops assuming that the black guy is the guilty party. How stupid can these idiots be?
I was once told by a major city police commissioner that 10-15% of his force would be criminals if not working for him.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:14 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:59 am https://www.reddit.com/r/MindBlowingThi ... ng_man_in/

I was once told by a major city police commissioner that 10-15% of his force would be criminals if not working for him.

That sounds very credible to me.

I enjoy reading stories of old New York starting in the Ante-Bellum period to the times of Mayor LaGuardia. There were stories of NYC Irish who would also have turned hood had it not been that they were embraced by police chiefs and others in the police force. In those days the tendency for youths to turn hood was attributed to social injustice, economic disparity, and lack of opportunity for advancement. Today, such ideals have gone out the window and attribution is made to laziness, predisposition to criminality, and every manner of stereotype based on skin color, racial origin, and ethnicity.

Undoubtedly such stereotypes are the reason why the stupid cop harassed that innocent black man. He just assumed the guy was a hood, posed some menace to society, and no matter how vehement the innocent man proclaimed his innocence, the moron cop wouldn't believe hum until another cop came along to stop him. You just can't stop stupid in this unjust society.

Return to “POLITICS”