Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Recruiting

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:22 pm Hey! Florida State got their backstop! Hadley Booth to FSU. 5 star goalie. Impressive commit.
I told people FSU was an attractive spot..they'll land good players. Maybe not like clemson's 2025 class, but above average for an expansion program
laxfanrs

Post by laxfanrs »

Barnes to BC.. this is a very good class for them.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:25 pm
uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:47 pm Both Findora’s to UVA
woah..huge! UVA with a great class so far
UVA has an excellent class at this point…which should be no surprise given last years success, the programs history, and UVA’s attractiveness to lax demographic as a university of choice.
With a couple more strong seasons, I can see uva becoming a title contender again…..
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

I would think BC’s recruiting class is finished, 9 total commits. According to IL, 4 5-stars 3 4-stars and 2 unranked. They currently have the best class, but could change with UNC only having 6 commits right now (4 5-stars, 2 4-stars)
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

I would think BC’s recruiting class is finished, 9 total commits. According to IL, 4 5-stars 3 4-stars and 2 unranked. They currently have the best class, but could change with UNC only having 6 commits right now (4 5-stars, 2 4-stars)
laxfan2889

Post by laxfan2889 »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:06 pm I would think BC’s recruiting class is finished, 9 total commits. According to IL, 4 5-stars 3 4-stars and 2 unranked. They currently have the best class, but could change with UNC only having 6 commits right now (4 5-stars, 2 4-stars)
It’s possible they are done. Their incoming class (2024’s) was a class of 10, so it’s possible they still go for one more.

I’m surprised they haven’t picked anybody up from the top 10! The last few years they have gotten 2-3 girls in the top 10. Amazing class still.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:47 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:39 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:25 pm
WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:18 pm
funlaxmom wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:53 am
TipToes79 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:59 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:37 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:32 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:30 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:25 pm
laxfanrs wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:06 pm Hi, this is my first post but I’ve been reading through all the forums for the past weeks. How important is Best in Class summer for a 27. I’ve noticed with the commitments a lot of players going to top schools played at it. Is it really important even if you’re on a top club team?
Welcome to the Forum. In my experience, it is not important if you are on a top club. Neither is Juniors, All American, American Select and all the other money grabs out there. Do you get exposure, absolutely. Is it fun for the girls, absolutely. BIC is the better of the group, just my opinion. It's also my opinion it's not necessary as long as your daughter is on a top club where there are colleges watching you at a tournament, I wouldn't sweat not being there. Most NY players aren't at BIC because of Regents and it hasn't seem to hurt the NY girls that don't go.
Regents isn't a conflict anymore. I've looked at signup list and all of the top Aces, Jesters and YJ girls will be there.
That must be new, but the point stands. It used to be, and it didn't affect the girls not there.
I agree if you are on a top team, it isn't critical. But I also believe if you only do one big summer event I would pick this event.

I would rank them as follows

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
3) American Select (if you are in an area where >60% of girls will be from the same club)
4) Juniors
5) All American
6) American Select (if you are not in an area where >60% of girls will be from the same club)
This is 100% accurate ranking
How about none of this snake oil, and you’ll probably get the same outcome. Play on a good club team.

Disclaimer - your daughter may not get posted on Instagram. It’s a tough decision.
Depends on how good your kid is and what her aspirations are. If you are a top 50 player, coaches will find you. If you are between players 100-400, which encompasses a ton of girls on top and middle clubs, these events do matter. There is really very little difference between player 101 and player 399.

Pretty accurate. But The difference is player #399 on YJ is gonna be seen by 50 coaches a game in the summer. Number #101 on Copper Mine (no idea where they are from. Looked at a team ranked in the 200s) is gonna need that showcase.
Fair point. However, if the #399 player is on YJ A and is the 8th attacker, meaning they never run a play for her, she may need the showcase.

Had an interesting conversation with my brother about this, whose daughter plays on one of the top non-hotbed teams in the country (ranked high20s/low 30s). Would you rather be a star the #30 team in the country or a top backup for a top 10 team?

I said i'd rather be on the 30th ranked team if she was an attacking player, but top 10 team is a defender. Roughly same number of coaches for both, but top 30 attacker will have the offense running through her. For defense, I think playing higher level comp is more important.
Max. You gotta change that point. Would you rather be a back up on a top 30 team. Or a star on the 136th ranked team. But I agree with you on your analogy.
I think that is a totally different situation. Top 30 teams are usually playing in a top 3 or 4 bracket in big tourneys and usually have 20-30 coaches per game. A team in the 130s is rarely playing in a top tourney and very few D1 coaches.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Interesting class from Cuse.

8 commits, including some very very good ones.

But only one from within 4 hours of the school in a year where Aces and Monster both had outstanding teams. Maybe its random, or Kayla's wearing out her welcome a bit more closer to home.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Another nice pickup from FSU. Killfeather from #1 YJ. Hey need to start moving. They have 6 kids total.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

expect today and tomorrow to be the business commit day for the rest of the year. Most mid-tiers finishing major recruiting weekends and most top 20 offers expiring.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:12 pm Interesting class from Cuse.

But only one from within 4 hours of the school in a year where Aces and Monster both had outstanding teams. Maybe its random, or Kayla's wearing out her welcome a bit more closer to home.
Agree seems like an interesting class. A couple of players are underrated.

Do you have any examples of Kayla wearing out her welcome or just an assumption? -'I believe Syracuse has always recruited well in the Philly area. What is a bigger surprise is that she has been able to snag kids from the top Maryland clubs that past few cycles.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Don’t most kids want to get away from home? Especially in an area like that?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Bunch of really good players, no one really elite. Maybe the Goalie but this isn't a good year for goalies. Sophia Cuteno was a great pickup. Maybe the most underrated player in this class. Has been a consistent performer and stands out whenever she plays. Syracuse fans should definitely be happy with this class. It could have been a total disaster. Other than missing out on Powell and Smith, they've done well.
TBD

Post by TBD »

ND, Stanford and USC seem very slow on the recruiting front this year.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:00 pm

Bunch of really good players, no one really elite. Maybe the Goalie but this isn't a good year for goalies. Sophia Cuteno was a great pickup. Maybe the most underrated player in this class. Has been a consistent performer and stands out whenever she plays. Syracuse fans should definitely be happy with this class. It could have been a total disaster. Other than missing out on Powell and Smith, they've done well.
Really happy for that kid. She is a great example of perseverance. Played for Top Guns her 8th grade year, was probably the last girl on the bench and got cut. Went back to CA team and really focused on her craft.

Still not sure if she has the athleticism to play at top 10 level, but Cuse is getting a great kid who has overcome adversity.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:26 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:22 pm Hey! Florida State got their backstop! Hadley Booth to FSU. 5 star goalie. Impressive commit.
I told people FSU was an attractive spot..they'll land good players. Maybe not like clemson's 2025 class, but above average for an expansion program
The staff will be an attractive pull for recruits. I expect them to be competitive out there.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Abbott to Stanford. finally some good news for the cardinals. But man they need to start showing it on the field, especially with them being in the ACC now. They can't rely on guaranteed wins vs USC and Arizona and Arizona State anymore.

UNC, BC, ND, UVA are all almost guaranteed losses now. 10-6 becomes 6-10 real quick.
TBD

Post by TBD »

agreed on Stanford. Combo of new coach, "top recruiting class" a few years ago and moving to a high end conference seemed like a trifecta for a juggernaut program of year by year growth and great recruiting potential that has not panned out. Couple that with some lack of mental toughness and bad behavior on the field last season...
Ceaser123

Post by Ceaser123 »

Bragg and Obloj to UF. That’s 3- 5 stars And the #6 recruit. Not to mention the two defenders from eagle stix and M&D black.
Finnyboy

Post by Finnyboy »

GratefulRed wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:26 pm
laxguy516 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:24 am I think playing in these types of events has more than just recruiting value. As a parent, I feel it is helpful to the players development as an athlete. Playing with top kids from other areas of the country helps give perspective and an opportunity to form new relationships with kids other than those on the club team. I'd imagine it is valuable in the eyes of coaches who watch these kids in different settings to see how their roles may be different from HS team, club team, showcase team, camp team. May give a glimpse into the players versatility that they could potentially tap into down the road in a college setting.
Well said.

Let’s remember not all families have the proximity/means to play on a good club team. There are other paths to college lacrosse. You can go a long way with volunteer mom/dad coaches and coordinators, and good old-fashioned hustle. Putting yourself out there on camp/house teams is great for player and personal development. A strategy that worked well for us was to round up a few players with similar skill/goals and commit to attending camps as a group to support one another.

I agree with the intended sentiment that families should be selective when it comes to recruiting opportunities. It is easy to spend a lot without much roi. As others have correctly pointed out, prospect camps at individual colleges and through coach alliances (Lacrossemasters.com is one example that comes to mind) will usually be a better investment for player development. However, it is OK to fish in a bigger pond once in a while. I’m a few years removed from the recruiting scene, so I would trust others here to rank those showcases.

Coaches will naturally take the least path of resistance and recruit their pipelines for the highest hit percentage (I would too). However, the good ones also recognize, appreciate and root for kids who are willing to show initiative and work for their opportunities.
I think you also need to be careful not to run your kid into the ground before their Club tourny's, be selective and make sure your kid is well rested. Committed games in Philly are great, BIC is great, UA 150 is ok

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”