NU recruits are coming in
TipToes79

Re: Recruiting

Post by TipToes79 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:37 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:32 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:30 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:25 pm
laxfanrs wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:06 pm Hi, this is my first post but I’ve been reading through all the forums for the past weeks. How important is Best in Class summer for a 27. I’ve noticed with the commitments a lot of players going to top schools played at it. Is it really important even if you’re on a top club team?
Welcome to the Forum. In my experience, it is not important if you are on a top club. Neither is Juniors, All American, American Select and all the other money grabs out there. Do you get exposure, absolutely. Is it fun for the girls, absolutely. BIC is the better of the group, just my opinion. It's also my opinion it's not necessary as long as your daughter is on a top club where there are colleges watching you at a tournament, I wouldn't sweat not being there. Most NY players aren't at BIC because of Regents and it hasn't seem to hurt the NY girls that don't go.
Regents isn't a conflict anymore. I've looked at signup list and all of the top Aces, Jesters and YJ girls will be there.
That must be new, but the point stands. It used to be, and it didn't affect the girls not there.
I agree if you are on a top team, it isn't critical. But I also believe if you only do one big summer event I would pick this event.

I would rank them as follows

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
3) American Select (if you are in an area where >60% of girls will be from the same club)
4) Juniors
5) All American
6) American Select (if you are not in an area where >60% of girls will be from the same club)
This is 100% accurate ranking
TipToes79

Post by TipToes79 »

laxfanrs wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:06 pm Hi, this is my first post but I’ve been reading through all the forums for the past weeks. How important is Best in Class summer for a 27. I’ve noticed with the commitments a lot of players going to top schools played at it. Is it really important even if you’re on a top club team?
Welcome to the Forum. In my experience, it is not important if you are on a top club. Neither is Juniors, All American, American Select and all the other money grabs out there. Do you get exposure, absolutely. Is it fun for the girls, absolutely. BIC is the better of the group, just my opinion. It's also my opinion it's not necessary as long as your daughter is on a top club where there are colleges watching you at a tournament, I wouldn't sweat not being there. Most NY players aren't at BIC because of Regents and it hasn't seem to hurt the NY girls that don't go.
Regents isn't a conflict anymore. I've looked at signup list and all of the top Aces, Jesters and YJ girls will be there.
That must be new, but the point stands. It used to be, and it didn't affect the girls not there.
I agree if you are on a top team, it isn't critical. But I also believe if you only do one big summer event I would pick this event.

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
3) American Select (if you are in an area where >60% of girls will be from the same club)
4) Juniors
5) All American
6) American Select (if you are not in an area where >60% of girls will be from the same club)
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

laxfanrs wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:17 pm NU recruits are coming in
Last I saw they only have 3, and one is from the club KAH owns, and another from Milwaukee, a city about an hour away.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:43 am
laxfanrs wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:17 pm NU recruits are coming in
Last I saw they only have 3, and one is from the club KAH owns, and another from Milwaukee, a city about an hour away.
Grabbed 5 yesterday.
funlaxmom

Post by funlaxmom »

TipToes79 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:59 am

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
4) Juniors
5) All American
How about none of this snake oil, and you’ll probably get the same outcome. Play on a good club team.

Disclaimer - your daughter may not get posted on Instagram. It’s a tough decision.
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

I think playing in these types of events has more than just recruiting value. As a parent, I feel it is helpful to the players development as an athlete. Playing with top kids from other areas of the country helps give perspective and an opportunity to form new relationships with kids other than those on the club team. I'd imagine it is valuable in the eyes of coaches who watch these kids in different settings to see how their roles may be different from HS team, club team, showcase team, camp team. May give a glimpse into the players versatility that they could potentially tap into down the road in a college setting.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

laxguy516 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:24 am I think playing in these types of events has more than just recruiting value. As a parent, I feel it is helpful to the players development as an athlete. Playing with top kids from other areas of the country helps give perspective and an opportunity to form new relationships with kids other than those on the club team. I'd imagine it is valuable in the eyes of coaches who watch these kids in different settings to see how their roles may be different from HS team, club team, showcase team, camp team. May give a glimpse into the players versatility that they could potentially tap into down the road in a college setting.
Well said.

Let’s remember not all families have the proximity/means to play on a good club team. There are other paths to college lacrosse. You can go a long way with volunteer mom/dad coaches and coordinators, and good old-fashioned hustle. Putting yourself out there on camp/house teams is great for player and personal development. A strategy that worked well for us was to round up a few players with similar skill/goals and commit to attending camps as a group to support one another.

I agree with the intended sentiment that families should be selective when it comes to recruiting opportunities. It is easy to spend a lot without much roi. As others have correctly pointed out, prospect camps at individual colleges and through coach alliances (Lacrossemasters.com is one example that comes to mind) will usually be a better investment for player development. However, it is OK to fish in a bigger pond once in a while. I’m a few years removed from the recruiting scene, so I would trust others here to rank those showcases.

Coaches will naturally take the least path of resistance and recruit their pipelines for the highest hit percentage (I would too). However, the good ones also recognize, appreciate and root for kids who are willing to show initiative and work for their opportunities.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

GratefulRed wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:26 pm
laxguy516 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 11:24 am I think playing in these types of events has more than just recruiting value. As a parent, I feel it is helpful to the players development as an athlete. Playing with top kids from other areas of the country helps give perspective and an opportunity to form new relationships with kids other than those on the club team. I'd imagine it is valuable in the eyes of coaches who watch these kids in different settings to see how their roles may be different from HS team, club team, showcase team, camp team. May give a glimpse into the players versatility that they could potentially tap into down the road in a college setting.
Well said.

Let’s remember not all families have the proximity/means to play on a good club team. There are other paths to college lacrosse. You can go a long way with volunteer mom/dad coaches and coordinators, and good old-fashioned hustle. Putting yourself out there on camp/house teams is great for player and personal development. A strategy that worked well for us was to round up a few players with similar skill/goals and commit to attending camps as a group to support one another.

I agree with the intended sentiment that families should be selective when it comes to recruiting opportunities. It is easy to spend a lot without much roi. As others have correctly pointed out, prospect camps at individual colleges and through coach alliances (Lacrossemasters.com is one example that comes to mind) will usually be a better investment for player development. However, it is OK to fish in a bigger pond once in a while. I’m a few years removed from the recruiting scene, so I would trust others here to rank those showcases.

Coaches will naturally take the least path of resistance and recruit their pipelines for the highest hit percentage (I would too). However, the good ones also recognize, appreciate and root for kids who are willing to show initiative and work for their opportunities.
This has been talked about a ton on this forum. Most definitely, if you are not in a top 40-50 club you need showcases. College camps are great and the most important in my opinion but that is like being a sniper. How many can you go to? So you need the showcases on a lower ranked team.
All coaches recruit differently. Some like showcases better than club games because it’s less structure. Some like to see you with your club and teammates you know and see how you act. It’s all different. My daughters did them all which means I spent a ton of money. My youngest started super early because her older sister was going. So all those showcases and camps gave her an enormous amount confidence when she was actually being recruited. She also made a ton of friends away from her team. So I don’t feel it was a waste. Plus all the months on the road with my daughters, was worth what I spent and ten times more. But make no mistake about it, with how many they are doing now, it is certainly a money grab. Some are better than others, but it’s all about the money. Politics are certainly involved with most of them but if you can get in BIC or AS, it’ll be worth it if you are on a club that doesn’t usually have coaches showing up to your games.
Last edited by Relax77 on Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

funlaxmom wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:53 am

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
4) Juniors
5) All American
How about none of this snake oil, and you’ll probably get the same outcome. Play on a good club team.

Disclaimer - your daughter may not get posted on Instagram. It’s a tough decision.
Depends on how good your kid is and what her aspirations are. If you are a top 50 player, coaches will find you. If you are between players 100-400, which encompasses a ton of girls on top and middle clubs, these events do matter. There is really very little difference between player 101 and player 399.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:18 pm

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
4) Juniors
5) All American

Depends on how good your kid is and what her aspirations are. If you are a top 50 player, coaches will find you. If you are between players 100-400, which encompasses a ton of girls on top and middle clubs, these events do matter. There is really very little difference between player 101 and player 399.

Pretty accurate. But The difference is player #399 on YJ is gonna be seen by 50 coaches a game in the summer. Number #101 on Copper Mine (no idea where they are from. Looked at a team ranked in the 200s) is gonna need that showcase.
Laximus

Post by Laximus »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:44 pm Penn State with 7 commits so far? Other than the school itself being appealing, the team doesn't seem like a big draw. Coaching staff has a lot of turnover and the team hasn't done great. What's the draw?
Haha, thats a pretty funny statement. Its pretty much common knowledge that the "IT LIST" schools that all the kids want are basically dominated by the upper echelon or all of of the 3 top conferences. Ivy League, BIG 10 & ACC. The Ivies for obvious reasons and the others becasue they are good/very good academic schools that offer the complete "college experience" that most of the kids are looking for. Specifically ..... Princeton, Penn, Yale etc...in the Ivy League. Northwestern, Maryland, Michigan, PSU, USC in the BIG 10. ND, BC, UNC, Syracuse, VA, Clemson, Duke. You throw in a couple BIG 12 schools like FL and maybe a couple others and you have the 20-30 "IT LIST" that almost all of the kids are clamoring to get to.

When you toss out the "highly selective" admissions schools, the "IT LIST" list gets real short, real fast. Probably starts off something like this
1)Clemson
2)PSU
3)Syracuse
4+)Everyone else in ACC & BIG and the top few Patriot Division & Big 12 destinations

As for PSU specifically, I just did a little research, they typically finish Top 20-40 and have been to the tournament the last 2 years. The coaching carosel is real everywhere and I did not realize who the PSU director of operations is. If she is not already, she should be considered equal parts director of ops and associate head coach. IMHO this makes the recent 20 something year old assistant coaching carosel mentioned pretty Meh.
Last edited by Laximus on Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Coppermine is from Bawlmer.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:25 pm

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
4) Juniors
5) All American

Pretty accurate. But The difference is player #399 on YJ is gonna be seen by 50 coaches a game in the summer. Number #101 on Copper Mine (no idea where they are from. Looked at a team ranked in the 200s) is gonna need that showcase.
Fair point. However, if the #399 player is on YJ A and is the 8th attacker, meaning they never run a play for her, she may need the showcase.

Had an interesting conversation with my brother about this, whose daughter plays on one of the top non-hotbed teams in the country (ranked high20s/low 30s). Would you rather be a star the #30 team in the country or a top backup for a top 10 team?

I said i'd rather be on the 30th ranked team if she was an attacking player, but top 10 team is a defender. Roughly same number of coaches for both, but top 30 attacker will have the offense running through her. For defense, I think playing higher level comp is more important.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Penn State is a huge draw. It's a fun school. they are just inconsistent, which can be said about alot of programs. The potential for them to be a top program is always there. Even though they have a bunch of commitments, none of them are really high level. It's just much harder getting top recruits to go to Penn State like it was a few years ago. They tend to want to win championships and Penn State hasn't been a contender. But if you're an average to good recruit, the idea of what Penn State can be is still exciting.

Penn State employs the philosophy of quantity over quality. Recruit a bunch of average to mid-tier players, hope to hit on a few every recruiting cycle, until they start winning, which in turn will attract better recruits. But that is just very hard to do.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:39 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 2:25 pm

1) Best In Class
2) HHH Committed Games
4) Juniors
5) All American

Fair point. However, if the #399 player is on YJ A and is the 8th attacker, meaning they never run a play for her, she may need the showcase.

Had an interesting conversation with my brother about this, whose daughter plays on one of the top non-hotbed teams in the country (ranked high20s/low 30s). Would you rather be a star the #30 team in the country or a top backup for a top 10 team?

I said i'd rather be on the 30th ranked team if she was an attacking player, but top 10 team is a defender. Roughly same number of coaches for both, but top 30 attacker will have the offense running through her. For defense, I think playing higher level comp is more important.
Max. You gotta change that point. Would you rather be a back up on a top 30 team. Or a star on the 136th ranked team. But I agree with you on your analogy.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

I’m probably gonna out myself with this post but I'm not here to criticize anything and her experience with the team was outstanding. It is pretty much your exact hypothetical situation.

My daughter was on a team that went from 80 to 30 during her rising Freshman year. The offense heavily relied on her and another skilled player—she never came off and was involved in just about every offensive set. After playing against teams ranked between 25-100, she wanted more of a challenge and sought out better competition within her age group.

She decided to join a top-5 team with so many talented players. I didn’t love the decision and felt she should have stayed with the team as the number 1 option, but it was her decision. While she wasn’t showcased at all in the three or four plays the team heavily relied on, she contributed significantly during the summer of her recruiting year and was contacted by about 25 schools ranked between 20-60. Ultimately, she earned a great offer and landed at an excellent academic school.

Could she have attracted interest from top 1-20 programs if she stayed on her previous team? Possibly. Would she have sat on the bench at those schools? Probably. But did she improve by practicing with the best and competing in the top brackets every weekend? Absolutely.

So, was it the right decision? It depends on how you look at it. For the longest time, I felt she made a mistake, but lately I feel more confident with the decision. What's most important for her? Going to a good school, playing time, and a scholarship. She was able to get all three.
Last edited by Deacon022 on Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Both Findora’s to UVA
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Hey! Florida State got their backstop! Hadley Booth to FSU. 5 star goalie. Impressive commit. They had her in the end zone today. Couldn’t resist I guess.
Last edited by Relax77 on Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:47 pm Both Findora’s to UVA
woah..huge! UVA with a great class so far

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”