All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Kismet

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:59 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:41 am
old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:34 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:17 am
Headline: Ukraine targets Moscow in biggest drone attack yet

....how does a distiller understand this stuff better than career military wonks? The answer is: they're partisans, so that makes them idiots. It's INSANE that these policy makers let little D's and R's get in the way of thinking clearly.

So what did we get? We got 8 years of "Putin is smarter than Obama and the Euroburgers" from these wonks.

Yeah, no, sorry. Putin is SO f'ed. Good luck with the drones hitting Moscow until you wise up and leave Ukraine.

"Chessmaster", my &ss.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ru ... 024-09-09/
Don't spike the ball until you're in the end zone. Wooden drones vs Tac Nucs. Place your bets, Mr Moneyball genius.
I already placed my bets YEARS ago. I won. You lost. And because for reasons I don't understand, you can't handle being wrong...about ANYTHING.

Putin lost before the first shot...tried to tell you, but that little R got in your logic. And you can't think long term: how do you hold this MASSIVE land mass for decades? And what did you gain from the invasion? (Nothing, outside of a near collapse of the Russian economy, and a loss of EU trading partners, replacing them with China, who are taking Putin to the cleaners).

Russia is economically F'ed for at least another generation, and likely more. All for....what gains, exactly?

When it came to the US Navy during Carter (D) , you had no trouble whatsoever understanding that a war machine needs a whole lot of money. Yet you thought that money rule didn't apply to Putin because you were too busy trying to tell us Obama was doing it wrong, and wanted to prove that Putin was outsmarting Obama and the "Euroburgers" you despise.

You let your political animosity ruin your ability to call balls and strikes. And because Trump isn't in office, you're here bragging about nukes.... advising that Putin use nuclear weapons on land that he intends to have Russian citizens live on. And how many times have I told you that Russia is a kleptocracy....money that's SUPPOSED to go to various military assets go to Putin's goons. The odds that Russia's nukes are in reliable working order aren't high.

You can't just agree that Putin is a moron, and walk away. I don't get it.
Putin is hardly a moron. He is a dangerous sociopath. As I've said before, nuc weapons make him the most dangerous human since Hitler.

You can't say he has lost until he is no longer in power. False bravado from fools like you who minimize the danger he represents only serve to drive us closer to nuclear war,
If you are right about Vlad then not a particularly bright idea to let two sociopaths (including Orange Fatso were he to be elected) attempt to create a cessation of hostilities and a peace arrangement - don't ya think?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:11 pm

....how does a distiller understand this stuff better than career military wonks? The answer is: they're partisans, so that makes them idiots. It's INSANE that these policy makers let little D's and R's get in the way of thinking clearly.

So what did we get? We got 8 years of "Putin is smarter than Obama and the Euroburgers" from these wonks.

Yeah, no, sorry. Putin is SO f'ed. Good luck with the drones hitting Moscow until you wise up and leave Ukraine.

"Chessmaster", my &ss.

Don't spike the ball until you're in the end zone. Wooden drones vs Tac Nucs. Place your bets, Mr Moneyball genius.
I already placed my bets YEARS ago. I won. You lost. And because for reasons I don't understand, you can't handle being wrong...about ANYTHING.

Putin lost before the first shot...tried to tell you, but that little R got in your logic. And you can't think long term: how do you hold this MASSIVE land mass for decades? And what did you gain from the invasion? (Nothing, outside of a near collapse of the Russian economy, and a loss of EU trading partners, replacing them with China, who are taking Putin to the cleaners).

Russia is economically F'ed for at least another generation, and likely more. All for....what gains, exactly?

When it came to the US Navy during Carter (D) , you had no trouble whatsoever understanding that a war machine needs a whole lot of money. Yet you thought that money rule didn't apply to Putin because you were too busy trying to tell us Obama was doing it wrong, and wanted to prove that Putin was outsmarting Obama and the "Euroburgers" you despise.

You let your political animosity ruin your ability to call balls and strikes. And because Trump isn't in office, you're here bragging about nukes.... advising that Putin use nuclear weapons on land that he intends to have Russian citizens live on. And how many times have I told you that Russia is a kleptocracy....money that's SUPPOSED to go to various military assets go to Putin's goons. The odds that Russia's nukes are in reliable working order aren't high.

Putin is hardly a moron. He is a dangerous sociopath. As I've said before, nuc weapons make him the most dangerous human since Hitler.

You can't say he has lost until he is no longer in power. False bravado from fools like you who minimize the danger he represents only serve to drive us closer to nuclear war,
If you are right about Vlad then not a particularly bright idea to let two sociopaths (including Orange Fatso were he to be elected) attempt to create a cessation of hostilities and a peace arrangement - don't ya think?
Putin needs a way to cease hostilities & not lose face with his people. Trump gives him the best chance of doing that.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Last edited by old salt on Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:44 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:59 pm False bravado from fools like you who minimize the danger he represents only serve to drive us closer to nuclear war,
Alright. You had more than enough chances to be cordial. Clear that you're too much of blowhard toddler to handle that.....so here we are, where YOU want the discussion to go, because you can't handle it when you're wrong. Fine.

Tell us more about how Putin's recruiting old men as cannon fodder has "won" this pointless war.

You're the one who thinks it's smart to arm countries to provoke pointless wars is smart...and now that Trump and Biden did as you advised...and we followed your "arm some guy" theory of foreign policy...you're on here trying to tell the Forum that this isn't what you advocated.

Nope: you cheered and BRAGGED that Trump armed Putin, provoking him to act before it was the "porcupine" that you're so sure is a swell idea.

How's this path of yours working out, OS? How much money have we blown? How many dead? All because you have learned NOTHING from this idiotic practice of listening to Generals who have bigger egos than you have, and are certain that "arming some guy will work out swell this time".

So they do what you military wonks advise....and you're on here shocked, shocked that "arming some guy" didn't work.

And best of all.....your ego is so bruised that you're on here blaming me for the avenue that YOU said was a swell idea, in Arming and training Ukranians, provoking Putin to invade before he can't invade.

I was right. You were wrong. And no amount of dancing or citations from National Review will change that.

And yes, Putin is every bit as bad at foreign policy as you are. Makes sense that you like him.
Boo Hoo. Read your previous post Mr Cordial Distiller who claim's he's smarter on nuclear deterrence than all the Generals & military wonks.

The Generals follow the orders of their CinC. Trump gave Ukraine a few Javelins, Biden made them the most powerful army in Europe.

Check the avg age of Ukrainian troops. Both sides are having trouble recruiting cannon fodder. Russia has 4 times the population.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68823399

Russia to grow faster than all advanced economies says IMF
16 April 2024

An influential global body has forecast Russia's economy will grow faster than all of the world's advanced economies, including the US, this year.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects Russia to grow 3.2% this year, significantly more than the UK, France and Germany.
Oil exports have "held steady" and government spending has "remained high" contributing to growth, the IMF said.
Overall, it said the world economy had been "remarkably resilient"
"Despite many gloomy predictions, the world avoided a recession, the banking system proved largely resilient, and major emerging market economies did not suffer sudden stops," the IMF said.

Russia is one of the world's biggest oil exporters and in February, the BBC revealed millions of barrels of fuel made from Russian oil were still being imported to the UK despite sanctions.

Continued attacks on ships in the Red Sea and the ongoing war in Ukraine could also affect the so far "remarkably resilient" global economy, it said.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:54 am

"Chessmaster", my &ss.

Putin needs a way to cease hostilities & not lose face with his people. Trump gives him the best chance of doing that.
Please explain how that would work? Orange Fatso barely knows what day it is. He's worried about dogs and cats in Ohio not Vlad. :lol:

For someone who claims to not support the fat slug you do spend an inordinate amount of time defending him here. Given your troll tendencies, that might explain it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Kismet wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:41 am
old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:54 amPutin needs a way to cease hostilities & not lose face with his people. Trump gives him the best chance of doing that.
Please explain how that would work? Orange Fatso barely knows what day it is. He's worried about dogs and cats in Ohio not Vlad. :lol:

For someone who claims to not support the fat slug you do spend an inordinate amount of time defending him here. Given your troll tendencies, that might explain it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trump lets Putin keep all land gained, and Ukraine has to withdraw from any Russian territory it has gained. This appeasement lets Russia reload and re-arm for the next time they want to invade Ukraine. This ceases hostilities and lets Putin only lose some face with his people and the relatives of the hundreds of thousands of casualties. For Putin to lose the least amount of face, Trump would need Ukriane to unconditionally surrender all territory.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

"Chessmaster", my &ss.

I see Old Soldier has flip flopped. He argued with me about Zelensky losing face….I told him if anyone had to deal with losing face it would be Putin. I worked at a Japanese Bank for years and know the culture of losing face.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:26 am

"Chessmaster", my &ss.

I see Old Soldier has flip flopped. He argued with me about Zelensky losing face….I told him if anyone had to deal with losing face it would be Putin. I worked at a Japanese Bank for years and know the culture of losing face.
Over and over and over he moves the goalposts so that no matter what happens, he makes it so:

- the Dems (Obama, Biden) are doing it wrong
-the R's (Trump) and doing it right.

So he cheered and bragged about Trump arming Ukraine. Yet when Biden does it? Oh, that's wrong.

Or when Obama did nothing over Putin's invasion? He and FoxNation were all over him for being weak. Then when Biden is in office and helps Ukraine stand up to Putin? Oh, that's bad, OS and Fox "miraculously" don't want Biden to help Ukraine stand up to Putin.

So no matter what choice a Dem makes, it's wrong. These Americans are just gone. Bye bye. They gave their values up for the letter R.

And notice that neither OS nor Fox can tell us how foolishly Putin has been behaving. They're literally cheering him on. And when you call them on it, they claim "I'm just telling you what's happening". No. You're not. If you did that, you'd give us rolling Russian casualty reports.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:55 am

"Chessmaster", my &ss.

Over and over and over he moves the goalposts so that no matter what happens, he makes it so:

So he cheered and bragged about Trump arming Ukraine. Yet when Biden does it? Oh, that's wrong.

Or when Obama did nothing over Putin's invasion? He and FoxNation were all over him for being weak. Then when Biden is in office and helps Ukraine stand up to Putin? Oh, that's bad, OS and Fox "miraculously" don't want Biden to help Ukraine stand up to Putin.

So no matter what choice a Dem makes, it's wrong. These Americans are just gone. Bye bye. They gave their values up for the letter R.

And notice that neither OS nor Fox can tell us how foolishly Putin has been behaving. They're literally cheering him on. And when you call them on it, they claim "I'm just telling you what's happening". No. You're not. If you did that, you'd give us rolling Russian casualty reports.
Don’t get ahead of yourself, Putin has tac nucs and Ukraine doesn’t. Just letting you know.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:02 am Blah Blah Boo Hoo. Read your previous post Mr Cordial Distiller who claim's he's smarter on nuclear deterrence than all the Generals.
:lol: Hope the forum is enjoying this: your ego is so freaking big, that you think someone calmly telling you that you were wrong is the same thing as being rude.

i'm not your subordinate, OS. I can tell you that you were wrong when you were, in fact, wrong.....all day long without being anything but polite.

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:02 am Check the avg age of Ukrainian troops. Both sides are having trouble recruiting cannon fodder.
RIght. Except who was telling us that one side was awesome, and didn't need money for things like invasions.....and called the other cannon fodder.

You. And you were wrong. And you can't handle being wrong, so you're yelling at me, thinking that that will somehow reverse time, and make you right.

You need money for war. Naturally, you know this deep down, but were too busy telling us that Putin was outsmarting Obama to remember this obvious fact.

And your military pals made the same mistake, all because you have a pathological hate for the letter D.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:59 am
a fan wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:55 am

"Chessmaster", my &ss.

Don’t get ahead of yourself, Putin has tac nucs and Ukraine doesn’t. Just letting you know.
Same brilliant line of thinking that gave us Vietnam. Hey: how come the Vietcong/Ukrainians won't just give up? Duh.

When Obama said: "the 80's called, and wants their foriegn policy back", he wasn't just talking to Putin. He was talking to OS, Putin, Biden, and everyone else that thinks arms solves everything.

Who got the last laugh? Obama, who did NOTHING MILITARILY about Putin's invasions. OS and his buds HAMMERED him for this, naturally. :roll:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I believe it was the USNA thst published Achilles in Vietnam. One takeaway in it was, and in other publications, we were fighting a war using outdated tactics.

My best friend enlisted in armor. Ft Dix >Ft Hood> Ft Meade .> Germany. His unit doon became 5th Air Cav ( i believe at the time it was 3/5) and instead of a tank he was on a cobra gunship. He soon learned the LT was more interested in getting a promotion than his men so he transferred to LRRPs.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The fact remains -- all Ukrainian territory seized by Putin came while Obama & Biden were CinC's, directing US foreign policy,

Under bipartisan pressure from Congress, Trump allowed minimal defensive lethal aid to Ukraine (most notably a few Javelins) to help prevent the expansion of the separatist enclaves in the Donbas.

Putin did not consider Trump a threat to further expand NATO. He did not seize any more territory until Biden & his neocon supporters returned to power. When Putin saw our weakness & ineptitude in Afghanistan, he chose to act before Biden, Blinken, Nuland & their neocon clique could bring Zelensky into NATO.

Trump's foreign policy, trade policy & national security strategy are closer to Pat Buchanan's conservative Republican platform than the globalist neocon strategy practiced by the 2 x Bush Republican & Clinton-Obama-Biden Democrat administrations. & their bipartisan supporters in Congress & in the Federal bureaucracy,

In the unlikely event that Trump is elected, I expect a ceasefire & frozen conflict along the then existing line of control which Ukraine will have to accept when faced with the reality of dwindling US military aid & EU exhaustion. Ukrainian forces will withdraw from Kursk & both sides will consolidate their defensive lines along that line of control which is the most defensible border for both sides.

I hesitate to speculate about how the war will play out if Harris is elected. I'm dubious about the prospects for the continued level of military & economic support from both the US & EU. I see the Russia-China-Iran-NK axis growing stronger, not weaker. If the continued Russia possession of Crimea, the Donbas enclaves, & the land bridge connecting them is at risk, I would not dismiss the willingness of Putin to use tac nucs to hold them.
How would CinC Harris & our EU allies then respond ? I don't want to find out.

That's the same outcome I predicted from the outset, based on what I considered to be realistic military expectations, no matter who is the US CinC.
The only question is how much more blood & treasure will be expended.

We can always hope for a Black Swan event that will topple Putin, but hope is not a strategy. Putin's a known quantity & his successor could be worse.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:49 pm The fact remains -- all Ukrainian territory seized by Putin came while Obama & Biden were CinC's, directing US foreign policy,

Under bipartisan pressure from Congress, Trump allowed minimal defensive lethal aid to Ukraine (most notably a few Javelins) to help prevent the expansion of the separatist enclaves in the Donbas.

Putin did not consider Trump a threat to further expand NATO. He did not seize any more territory until Biden & his neocon supporters returned to power. When Putin saw our weakness & ineptitude in Afghanistan, he chose to act before Biden, Blinken, Nuland & their neocon clique could bring Zelensky into NATO.

Trump's foreign policy, trade policy & national security strategy are closer to Pat Buchanan's conservative Republican platform than the globalist neocon strategy practiced by the 2 x Bush Republican & Clinton-Obama-Biden Democrat administrations. & their bipartisan supporters in Congress & in the Federal bureaucracy,

In the unlikely event that Trump is elected, I expect a ceasefire & frozen conflict along the then existing line of control which Ukraine will have to accept when faced with the reality of dwindling US military aid & EU exhaustion. Ukrainian forces will withdraw from Kursk & both sides will consolidate their defensive lines along that line of control which is the most defensible border for both sides.

I hesitate to speculate about how the war will play out if Harris is elected. I'm dubious about the prospects for the continued level of military & economic support from both the US & EU. I see the Russia-China-Iran-NK axis growing stronger, not weaker. If the continued Russia possession of Crimea, the Donbas enclaves, & the land bridge connecting them is at risk, I would not dismiss the willingness of Putin to use tac nucs to hold them.

That's the same outcome I predicted from the outset, based on what I considered to be realistic military expectations, no matter who is the US CinC.

We can always hope for a Black Swan event that will topple Putin, but hope is not a strategy. Putin's a known quantity & his successor could be worse.
No guarantee that Vlad will be satisfied with what territory he already has possession of no matter who is POTUS.

I suspect the use of tactical nukes would result in some kind of a military response from NATO and Vlad knows this.

Rooskies hit a Ukrainian cargo vessel carrying grain destined for Egypt with a missile within Romanian territorial waters in the Black Sea today.

You still all in on the deep state fantasy - Congratulations! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:49 pm The fact remains -- all Ukrainian territory seized by Putin came while Obama & Biden were CinC's, directing US foreign policy,

If you think Biden is bad, Kamala is worse….Trump is a known quantity so he will get your vote…again.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

We have numerous times rebutted your thesis.

Pretty simple really. Putin knew that Trump was on his (Putin) desired path of crippling NATO, perhaps permanently. He also knew that Trump was intent n helping him reverse the democratic and pro-western aspirations of Ukraine, including undermining Zelensky

So, Putin’s publicly stated aspirations for a return to Russian hegemonic expansion ala Soviet Union were well on path to achievement on the cheap. Ukraine then Baltics and Poland on the barrel.

No need to do a massive invasion as long as Trump was doing the work for him.

But yeah, tremendous miscalculation by the “genius “ of Moscow in thinking that Ukraine could be taken with a blitzkrieg style and that Europe and the US would dither. Almost got a way with it, but US intelligence and Biden blew the whistle on the upcoming invasion and then rallied the West to resist. NATO is now at its apex strength relative to Russia. And the Russian military has been shown to be ineffective and poorly trained and led.

But hey, Trump is back, lying at every turn on behalf of Putin, and poised to break NATO.

And Salty cheers it on.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:55 pm We have numerous times rebutted your thesis.

Pretty simple really. Putin knew that Trump was on his (Putin) desired path of crippling NATO, perhaps permanently. He also knew that Trump was intent n helping him reverse the democratic and pro-western aspirations of Ukraine, including undermining Zelensky

So, Putin’s publicly stated aspirations for a return to Russian hegemonic expansion ala Soviet Union were well on path to achievement on the cheap. Ukraine then Baltics and Poland on the barrel.

But yeah, tremendous miscalculation by the “genius “ of Moscow in thinking that Ukraine could be taken with a blitzkrieg style and that Europe and the US would dither. Almost got a way with it, but US intelligence and Biden blew the whistle on the upcoming invasion and then rallied the West to resist. NATO is now at its apex strength relative to Russia. And the Russian military has been shown to be ineffective and poorly trained and led.

But hey, Trump is back, lying at every turn on behalf of Putin, and poised to break NATO.

And Salty cheers it on.
I'm cheering for Trump (& Vance & Gabbard) to thwart the neo-con warmongers like you from getting us into a WW-III, staring in Europe, with the likelihood of the use of tac nuke weapons. THAT would break the paper alliance that NATO has become since the end of the Cold War. NATO's EUro contingent still struggles just to deploy a 6,000 troop "Rapid" Reaction Force to the E Front. They can't even do that without the Brits. https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_221565.htm
We are no longer capable of both garrisoning EUrope & meeting our commitments to our allies in the Asia-Pacific region, let alone the ME. All where we have more pressing vital interests that protecting the freeriding EU.
Last edited by old salt on Thu Sep 12, 2024 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:55 pm We have numerous times rebutted your thesis.

And Salty cheers it on.
I'm cheering for Trump
Fixed it. The rest is superfluous, IMHO with all due respect.
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:54 pm I'm cheering for Trump (& Vance & Gabbard) to thwart the neo-con warmongers like you from getting us into a WW-III, staring in Europe, with the likelihood of the use of tac nuke weapons. THAT would break the paper alliance that NATO has become since the end of the Cold War. NATO's EUro contingent still struggles just to deploy a 6,000 troop "Rapid" Reaction Force to the E Front. They can't even do that without the Brits. https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_221565.htm
We are no longer capable of both garrisoning EUrope & meeting our commitments to our allies in the Asia-Pacific region, let alone the ME. All where we have more pressing vital interests that protecting the freeriding EU.
Three blind mice - Fatso, JDouchebag and Tulsi (who should get canned just for her failure in debate prep so not exactly going to follow her lead in international military strategy) - but you have told us you are not voting or supporting any of them haven't you?
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:54 pm

And Salty cheers it on.
I'm cheering for Trump (& Vance & Gabbard) to thwart the neo-con warmongers like you from getting us into a WW-III,
:lol: You CHEERED Trump when he armed Ukraine.

Now you're here telling us that if Biden does it, he's doing it wrong.

You can't make it five minutes without lying. No matter what a D does, it's wrong. It's just sad that you're trying to hide your BS.

Return to “POLITICS”