Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxlaxlax

Re: Recruiting

Post by laxlaxlax »

laxfanrs wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 10:13 pm I’d like to add that there are numerous, let’s say, foul comments on Spencer’s coaching on 2adays.
I have often wondered if kids actually look at that site. I always thought that people went on there only to complain but there seems to be some coaches that do have good reviews - Kimel, AWW, KAM.

Does the prospect of a Stanford education outweigh any concerns? Same with Coach Bamford at Yale, she has terrible reviews but maybe these kids even don’t check these websites?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Using those sites are the same as using yelp. How many reviews have you ever left in your life? Most people only leave reviews on bad experiences. Otherwise every coach on there would have 40 reviews a year. Even the bad coaches are loved by half the team.
gosports

Post by gosports »

Wamp1 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:52 am
spidey44 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:45 am
laxfan9999 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:24 am From talking to people, USF, Penn State, Cincinnati, Florida have all been throwing around full scholarship and in some cases more than full scholarships. And those are just the ones I have heard. I am guessing a lot of schools are doing it.
Cincy??? The others make sense, but surprised to see Cincy. Only seeing 1 commit so far (obviously could not be accurate) so that money doesn't appear to be appealing enough.
Cincy has 2 commits as of now. Similar to last year at this time. Most will others will follow after their prospect day. Last year it was on 10.15.

Cincy has 5 commits - Tori Anderson, Marisa Test, Elizabeth Spencer, Nuria Butcher and one other
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Penn State with 7 commits so far? Other than the school itself being appealing, the team doesn't seem like a big draw. Coaching staff has a lot of turnover and the team hasn't done great. What's the draw?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:44 pm Penn State with 7 commits so far? Other than the school itself being appealing, the team doesn't seem like a big draw. Coaching staff has a lot of turnover and the team hasn't done great. What's the draw?
It’s Penn State. That’s the draw. But remember, it’s not top 50 kids going there. Usually. And it’s up to 8 commits now.
Last edited by Relax77 on Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxfanrs

Post by laxfanrs »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:44 pm Penn State with 7 commits so far? Other than the school itself being appealing, the team doesn't seem like a big draw. Coaching staff has a lot of turnover and the team hasn't done great. What's the draw?
$$$$$ is my guess
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:43 pm Using those sites are the same as using yelp. How many reviews have you ever left in your life? Most people only leave reviews on bad experiences. Otherwise every coach on there would have 40 reviews a year. Even the bad coaches are loved by half the team.
That is absolutely not true that only people leave bad reviews. Go to the site and you will see some coaches have a 100% positive rating. There are plenty of positive reviews along with the negatives.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:17 pm
Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:43 pm Using those sites are the same as using yelp. How many reviews have you ever left in your life? Most people only leave reviews on bad experiences. Otherwise every coach on there would have 40 reviews a year. Even the bad coaches are loved by half the team.
That is absolutely not true that only people leave bad reviews. Go to the site and you will see some coaches have a 100% positive rating. There are plenty of positive reviews along with the negatives.
His point is one is MUCH more likely to leave a bad review after a bad experience rather than a good review from a good experience. Sure there are plenty of good reviews, but I know for me, there's a much better chance, if I were to leave a review, it would be over a bad experience I had, rather than a good one.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 2:22 pm
His point is one is MUCH more likely to leave a bad review after a bad experience rather than a good review from a good experience. Sure there are plenty of good reviews, but I know for me, there's a much better chance, if I were to leave a review, it would be over a bad experience I had, rather than a good one.
Right. When it comes to reviews, I feel much more compelled to write a bad review so that I can warn everyone. A good review? If the person or place or thing is already something that people generally know and like and respect, then I don't really feel there's much of a point to leave a review.
cdb

Post by cdb »

Please be aware that there are so-called PR firms (so-called because real PR firms would not do this) whose job is to write either positive or negative reviews on web sites for a fee. The best way to check out something or someone is to talk to someone in person e.g. two or three parents of a athlete already on that team.
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

I have never heard of site so had to look. She has 8 ratings in total. 1 from 2020 and then 7 rapid fire negative ones. 2 on 7/3/23, 1 on 7/6/23. 1 on 7/9/23, 1 on 9/20/23 (which reads awful similar to a 7/3/23 post). And then 1 each in Feb and March of 2024. I don’t know the woman, don’t know anyone who played for her and not trying to defend her. But I have to say the timing of these look oddly suspicious and maybe 1 or 2 disgruntled people behind them? Also makes you wonder about the value of the site in general. Just one opinion.
TBD

Post by TBD »

I have only looked briefly but there seemed to be a lot of comments across the board regarding how coaches treat players who are not starters. It is possible that this is stemming from a chip on the shoulder of the player and/or parents who, upon being a fantastic high school player and coveted recruit, then expect to be starters or contributors and do not realize the extent of the competitive landscape. In competitive games many programs will play 16-17 players tops, in a semi competitive game maybe 20, so that leaves another 15-20 players who have the potential position of being very unsatisfied and surprised.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

👍
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 4:38 pm
👍
True ... and I also think lacrosse is a small enough community that if there are issues with a coach or program, word gets around quickly. Part of why you see such a dramatic shift in kids choosing Stanford. IYKYK.
Finnyboy

Post by Finnyboy »

lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:17 am
Finnyboy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:03 am
MSLAX5 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:51 am
LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:48 am I know at least 2 schools offering nearly everyone full scholarships that include everything
That is insane. Where are they getting the $$
How many commits to they currently have? Are they only taking 3-4 players this year?
Some school have a fund of money from alumni they use to pay girls tuitions. So they are giving full rides to some that does not count against the scholarship allotment. So the 3 -4 scholarship allotment per recruiting year is really not the standard anymore. When you see some of these top programs bringing in four and five 5 STAR recruits they are not doing that with just scholarship money. Some schools are giving 5-6 full rides. Now the 100% is made up of aid, outside money, and scholarship. Sometimes it's all outside money.
And what is this money considered? I mean how is this done legally? Is this part of an NIL collective?
It is legal, anyone can pay tuition for anyone else, donor direct money to womans lax program to be spent by Coaches and administrators. Some teams buy players, some may fly to a game or two private, may expand budget for fall ball etc. This is how the top mens Ivy teams compete every year. Ivy's as you know are need based aid only. So no athletic money, so private donors provide a fund that creates GRants to players.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:48 am I know at least 2 schools offering nearly everyone full scholarships that include everything
Are you just talking about recruits or going back and offering full scholarships to all returning players on roster? In terms of 26 recruits, its much more than 2 schools
cdb

Post by cdb »

When I visit the online sites of many of these schools, they all have write-ups of their players. Many mention that the athlete is the recipient of a scholarship provided by individual families -- I do not believe these count against any prescribed limits.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

cdb wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:17 am When I visit the online sites of many of these schools, they all have write-ups of their players. Many mention that the athlete is the recipient of a scholarship provided by individual families -- I do not believe these count against any prescribed limits.
If the scholarship is only available to an athlete, then yes it counts. However, in new world with no limits, it doesn't matter.
gosports

Post by gosports »

Darcy Doyle to Northwestern
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Finnyboy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:59 am
lacrossemwj wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 10:17 am
Finnyboy wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:03 am
MSLAX5 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:51 am
That is insane. Where are they getting the $$
How many commits to they currently have? Are they only taking 3-4 players this year?
Some school have a fund of money from alumni they use to pay girls tuitions. So they are giving full rides to some that does not count against the scholarship allotment. So the 3 -4 scholarship allotment per recruiting year is really not the standard anymore. When you see some of these top programs bringing in four and five 5 STAR recruits they are not doing that with just scholarship money. Some schools are giving 5-6 full rides. Now the 100% is made up of aid, outside money, and scholarship. Sometimes it's all outside money.
And what is this money considered? I mean how is this done legally? Is this part of an NIL collective?
It is legal, anyone can pay tuition for anyone else, donor direct money to womans lax program to be spent by Coaches and administrators. Some teams buy players, some may fly to a game or two private, may expand budget for fall ball etc. This is how the top mens Ivy teams compete every year. Ivy's as you know are need based aid only. So no athletic money, so private donors provide a fund that creates GRants to players.
Parents and alums are paying enough money to nil or booster funds to pay for the equivilant of 8 additional scholarship money per year for women’s lax?

Sorry but I don’t believe it.
Mens lax maybe. But women’s?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”