Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

MSLAX5 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:02 am American Select is run by the top club in the areas and in our region they select all their own girls for the top team. They are doing what the event was created to be against I thought They are also starting this in 7th grade summer which is 100% not needed. In my opinion there is no need to join these events until freshmen year summer.
HHH committed allows girls that are freshmen and sophs to play with commits.
Great for those girls, but hurts the event for committed girls because it is now becoming a recruiting event. My committed daughters team had like 6 young girls on the team and it takes away from the original purpose of the event which is "Committed" tourney.
I think the best recruiting is at the college prospect days. The individual school prospect camps at the college. The prospect camps with 30 coaches and 150 kids at tourneys I do not recommend.
I agree single school prospect days are best ways to get seen. But lots of the 20-30 coach prospect days can be good ways for girls to cast a wider net since you cant go to every prospect day you are interested in.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MDstateMan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:11 am
MSLAX5 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:02 am American Select is run by the top club in the areas and in our region they select all their own girls for the top team. They are doing what the event was created to be against I thought They are also starting this in 7th grade summer which is 100% not needed. In my opinion there is no need to join these events until freshmen year summer.
Great for those girls, but hurts the event for committed girls because it is now becoming a recruiting event. My committed daughters team had like 6 young girls on the team and it takes away from the original purpose of the event which is "Committed" tourney.
I think the best recruiting is at the college prospect days. The individual school prospect camps at the college. The prospect camps with 30 coaches and 150 kids at tourneys I do not recommend.
Isn't BIC now associated with AS? Seems that is a bit of a conflict right? BIC would obviously try to name their own BIC players for all tournament correct? AS also had very poor evaluations, evidenced by the MD 2028 Red team not winning a single game, despite 5 <D teams in top-12 of USlax.
I'd argue it has more to do with playing against certain regions where you are basically playing a club team who can run their own offense. This is why LI/CT/DC do so well because you are basically playing against YJ, Grizzlies and Capital

also, some coaches are playing to win; I think most MD teams did close to equal playing time.
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:13 am
To be fair, if you want to look at event politics, look at how they pick which underclass girls from HHH committed get to play with committed girls

I figured they let every girls from the HHH Camp join a committed team! There were so many and apparently most were jumping on multiple teams taking playing time away from committed girls as they coaches were recruiting.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

I think a lot of the 24 Recruits were happy to have the 26 and 27 girls since most hadn't played a game since high school season ended.
Quill

Post by Quill »

For AS, if your club team is one of the hosts/coaches, you kind of have to go every year to support them if you expect to have support later on, don't you?

And, HHH committed teams usually need the extra players to fill out a roster and compete. It's a win/win. The commits look better because of the depth the prospects bring and the coaches can see how a potential player meshes with the vibe and skillset of the recruits.
MDstateMan

Post by MDstateMan »

Quill wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:01 am For AS, if your club team is one of the hosts/coaches, you kind of have to go every year to support them if you expect to have support later on, don't you?

And, HHH committed teams usually need the extra players to fill out a roster and compete. It's a win/win. The commits look better because of the depth the prospects bring and the coaches can see how a potential player meshes with the vibe and skillset of the recruits.
I do wonder how much bandwidth the market can sustain? Seems maybe an endless supply of parents/kids with FOMO and wallets.

BIC now has a fall & winter showcase.
Juniors Open now has "Players Open" which is a fall showcase.

American Select was created to compete with All America.

UA150 still around but lost thunder to Juniors Open.

You now have the Apex events which seem to be seasonal.

To top to off, you have prospect camps at these colleges as well. Seems it is a big relief to commit and be done with this all.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MDstateMan wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:10 am
Quill wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:01 am For AS, if your club team is one of the hosts/coaches, you kind of have to go every year to support them if you expect to have support later on, don't you?

I do wonder how much bandwidth the market can sustain? Seems maybe an endless supply of parents/kids with FOMO and wallets.

BIC now has a fall & winter showcase.
Juniors Open now has "Players Open" which is a fall showcase.

American Select was created to compete with All America.

UA150 still around but lost thunder to Juniors Open.

You now have the Apex events which seem to be seasonal.

To top to off, you have prospect camps at these colleges as well. Seems it is a big relief to commit and be done with this all.
To be fair Juniors and BIC and are using their fall event as tryouts for their summer event. I doubt many girls (especially in non-recruiting years) will do both.
Hiptoknee

Post by Hiptoknee »

As a result of potential House vs NCAA settlement implications and roster changes, any preliminary feedback on recruits seeing more full offers vs partial scholarships?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Hiptoknee wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:44 am As a result of potential House vs NCAA settlement implications and roster changes, any preliminary feedback on recruits seeing more full offers vs partial scholarships?
Yes. Some schools going very aggressive with 80% or higher offers, usually with less than a week to accept. Also, more girls just being offered roster spot.
njbill

Post by njbill »

The House settlement is on hold. The judge has not approved it and has expressed reservations about key aspects of it. She has essentially sent the parties back to the drawing board.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

njbill wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:28 am The House settlement is on hold. The judge has not approved it and has expressed reservations about key aspects of it. She has essentially sent the parties back to the drawing board.
Do you have a link to an article with said info?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

SoCal wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:47 am
njbill wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:28 am The House settlement is on hold. The judge has not approved it and has expressed reservations about key aspects of it. She has essentially sent the parties back to the drawing board.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -revisions
MSLAX5

Post by MSLAX5 »

This is a good thing for women's sports and lax. One of the arguments was how the $ was being allocated and title IX as most was going to football.
cdb

Post by cdb »

In a related matter, the NCAA is going all in on getting control of all NIL collectives -- it is more than an uphill battle, but the NCAA realizes that has already lost most of its power and will lose the rest if NIL is not under its purview -- however, given the reason for the courts supporting the athletes in getting money from colleges in the first place -- it will be difficult for the NCAA to gain that power back -- as they mishandled it so badly in the past and that is what led to the court case about NIL in the first place -- most expect the Division 1 schools to break away from the NCAA and form their own governing body -- which will not control any spending for athletes by any school.

Interesting times -- Right now a school like Ohio State had an NIL collective budget of around $20 million per year -- they use it to get top high school recruits and to supplement specific position needs in the portal -- the collective has said that they can raise whatever money the athletic programs need -- on the other end, you have the richest college in America (Harvard) that would never spend all that money on athletics -- but imagine if it decided to!!!!!

But no one knows if all the organization questions affecting the revenue sports will matter in terms of sports like Lacrosse. Florida State spent $12 million in the portal this year in football and so far, it hasn't worked. Throwing money to recruit or bring in portal athletes isn't a sure sign of success -- the athletes still have to match your coaching and program style and you still have to coach them up. Most of the athletes are like the folks who are on these boards -- they love their schools and always are there to defend them. It is more difficult for a transfer to have than kind of school spirit that is developed with 4 years at one place.

I have noticed that the athletes on most of the top programs love and respect their coaches -- that amazes me because all of these athletes are highly rated and expect to play. Yet, you cannot play everyone all the time. These coaches are masters of human relations or most of their kids would transfer to a school where they would get more playing time.
njbill

Post by njbill »

It’s an easy Google. The hearing was last week and there was lots of press coverage.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

njbill wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:04 pm
It’s an easy Google. The hearing was last week and there was lots of press coverage.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -revisions
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

njbill wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:04 pm
Thanks for link. I was hoping for something specific to roster caps / if they would grandfather it in. I know a lot of 2025 soccer players have already had their offers rescinded; hopong the same doesn’t happen for lacrosse
njbill

Post by njbill »

The NCAA should be trying to get control of the NIL slush funds, but I suspect you are right that they will not be able to do so at the end of the day.

I’m old-school and was initially against NIL deals because they violated long-standing precepts of amateurism. But I have reluctantly come over to the position that a true NIL deal is OK. If Caitlin Clark has the market power to enter a deal with Nike, more power to her.

But right out of the gate, the booster clubs are abusing the NIL process. They are purporting to buy up NIL rights of athletes whose NIL rights have zero value. That is a fraud designed to create a slush fund so that the boosters can funnel money to athletes in the hope that their schools’ programs’ athletic performance will improve. It makes no logical sense. Why should a fifth string football guard or fourth string lacrosse defender be paid any NIL money when their NIL rights have zero market value?

The NCAA should be able to impose rules prohibiting schools from paying NIL money to anybody. The funds should go directly from the buyer (Nike) to the athlete in a true market-based NIL deal. Not saying there shouldn’t be legitimate alumni donations to athletic programs, just that the booster clubs shouldn’t be able to pay money to the athletes. That type of thing has been against the rules (appropriately so) for many decades.

I have very little confidence, however, that the NCAA is going to be able to get any type of control over these NIL slush funds.

Amateurism is dead. College athletes are now professionals. Sad.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

That is a fantastic point about the committed games. I’ve said 300 times on this forum, it’s all a business and is NOT about the girls. It doesn’t matter if it is the college, the showcase owner or the club, it is one big scheme and they are all dependent on each other for the business. But excellent point about Committed, they have no business being there.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Most teams had enough kids. In the past if they didn’t, they would combine teams just like they do at IL Committed. I don’t think it took away from the 24’s and 25s experience having the younger kids there, but they shouldn’t be there.
Last edited by Relax77 on Tue Sep 10, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”