The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:52 pm One can argue that the scales have shifted too far left with the rise of super liberal/progressiveness.......
Make your case. I disagree 100%. We are SO far to the right of every other 1st world nation, it's not even a close call.
I the grand scheme of human history how do you know we’re equilibrium is for “1st world countries”?

I don’t think we’ve shifted too far left. I do think post GFC the left continues to overplay its hand and swing the pendulum way to far and it did so again a lot of last decade but that should excuse the behavior of those pushing not right but towards cultural warrior populism which is NOT right as it’s being described by many in both sides in these threads. Populism isn’t “right” or conservatism it’s extremely liberal borderline hedonistic behavior and that’s where the republicans have pushed.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:03 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:55 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:22 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:52 pm One can argue that the scales have shifted too far left with the rise of super liberal/progressiveness.......
Make your case. I disagree 100%. We are SO far to the right of every other 1st world nation, it's not even a close call.
Butler is quite the peace of work herself. Jesus must be happy when Christians have to quibble amongst themselves? :roll:

Too far left means you can’t slur people, drag queens read at public libraries and there is a push for equal employment, education and housing opportunities for all Americans……what is too far left for basic Christian principles?
You are free to slur people if your a WLP Democrat. Didn't you get the memo? Which Christian principles are you speaking of? Kamala has a spiritual advisor who complains about other Christians " stealing her Bible"
Is this the latest Maga echo-chamber talking point? Moving beyond the vapid "gotcha" minutia, the statement about "too far left" begs the question of what alternative the Maga folks seem to be offering. A time before abortions were legal? A time before the Constitution was written stipulating the separation of church and state? For better or worse, time marches on, while the "make America great again" phrase sure seems like an impossible promise to turn back the calendar to the 1950s when the US economy was at its relative world peak. Problem is, Maga trickle-down "voodoo economics" (as Poppy Bush called them) only serve to worsen the plight of the working and middle classes, so the Maga hope is that those harmed by R economic policies will focus more on this divisive culture war against "cat women" and other non-existent enemies and fellow US citizens treated as enemies for the sake of Maga political (and ginancial) gain.
I could debate the weaknesses and flaws in seek Emmanuel’s model which drive much of what is aca all day and night. When he has been legitimately questioned on this, like every egotistical economist who believes too much Friedman’s work in positive economics and media glare while conflating domain knowledge for intellect, he’s consistently shouted back at folks (it’s in record) “where’s your model?!”.

Ok not going to debate everyone that wants to throw out our model and replace it with whatever is convenient for them at the moment but I do object to random shots at economic policy when one can’t defend the existing alternative or propose anything superior.

It’s like wanting to fire a coach without being able to answer credibly and well “who’s the new guy going to be?”. And I’ll regurgitate what George Will would reply everytime egomaniac Robert Reich got on David Brinkley/Sam
Donaldson show claiming “that system failed!” To wit: “we never applied it the way it was supposed to with too many friction and transfers carved into it” and that’s what the kids call “Facts”. With receipts .

The rest I don’t really object to other than it’s been discussed a ton here for years now.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 9:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:56 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:20 pm Nice piece on why America's dumbest support Trump.

And please, make the argument that million of Americans aren't idiots..... you can't.

Because to a person, Republicans openly rail against our educational failures. So you have to pick a lane: either our k-12 is stellar, no problems, and produce smart Americans......or our k-12 is garbage for middle and poor America, and we're turning out idiots as a result.

It's why they choose tinfoilhats over logic, and "some guy on the internet" over easier-than-ever to find facts.

You know I have a lot threshold/tolerance for casual and lazy stupidity that is in abundance. But let’s not ignore the there’s a form of psychological warfare the political class and its surrogates are engaging on the public, 24/7. That aspect shouldn’t be ignored despite the intolerable unjustifiable inability to process information appropriately and comprehend things communicated to them/
People are being manipulated and they are walking around saying “the media doesn’t tell me what to think”… It’s absurd. I love seeing people parrot political propaganda.
Only don’t know if we can solve that problem “bottom up” which appears to be the consensus approach to this issue given the lack of focus on those efforts to manipulate.
You can’t go on broadcast TV and lie without a disclaimer because government regulations don’t allow it (the press passing itself off as news is a animal to be skinned later). Standards need to be established for social media particularly when it comes to amplification and further dissemination. You shouldn’t be able to throw chum and tripe on my property without my consent.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:24 am

This is all wrong. People who believe School shootings and spree killings are just a small price to pay for the right to own any conceivable weapon designed to kill more people in less time will stand on the right side of history. It is what our founding fathers wanted.
Shouldn’t by this logic “abortions be the cost of these cats being able to f**@ their cousins?” Like say Rudy Giuliani?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:52 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:20 pm Nice piece on why America's dumbest support Trump.

And please, make the argument that million of Americans aren't idiots..... you can't.

Because to a person, Republicans openly rail against our educational failures. So you have to pick a lane: either our k-12 is stellar, no problems, and produce smart Americans......or our k-12 is garbage for middle and poor America, and we're turning out idiots as a result.

It's why they choose tinfoilhats over logic, and "some guy on the internet" over easier-than-ever to find facts.

It almost sounds like you agree with RFK here? And, that the middle class, the cohort you say has been chopped off at the knee caps, need to go away, not fight as they are, and vanish completely? It almost seems like a bait and switch tactic or that the parties are crossing paths, as RFK states.

It explains why people like MDlax and I are dying on the vine of the traditional republican party, and identify so closely with the majority of the center democratic party/ liberal leaning on many topics; many have stayed center. One can argue that the scales have shifted too far left with the rise of super liberal/progressiveness, especially as the middle class has shrunk over the past few decades, and the R-Party under Trump are capitalizing on the middle class that faded off into the sunset and were silent for so long just accepting that what they had to say was futile.

Had it been someone like Hogan or Kasich pushing the "MAGA" fundamental principles in 2016 of no war, NATO fair sharing financials, Manufacturing, China tariffs, simplifying red tape for businesses, border position, etc......without the J6, midnight tweeting, name calling, we can argue a completely different state of 2024.

The juxtaposition is not IQ, tinfoilhat, IMO....its that very-old middle class that was dying off, now bubbling to the surface.

https://x.com/MTGrepp/status/1832858297017442494
I saw the challenge a fan and others had with you re "too far left" and thought best to come back to your original post. I see why they asked what you meant, because I don't think there's any evidence at all that the country OR the Dem Party have "shifted too far left to super/liberal leaning". So, I don't see any legitimacy to such a claim...albeit, sure, a whole lot of people, largely informed by Fox News and their barber shop conversations think so and the MAGA crowd play hard to it.

Why? Because the country is indeed moving socially more progressive, more inclusive, as a younger generation's values come into greater influence. Not "too far left" as compared to most all of our peer democracies, but yes, "more left". I've cited the studies that tie especially the rapid, seemingly sudden, acceptance of gay marriage as the biggest social shock of the past 20 years. Others have included as a "shock" the reality of a black man as President. Others include the shift in women's roles and their demands for respect in all sorts of ways to have been a "shock" as well. There's clearly a backlash to such social progress.

We also know that migration surges have been a major source of right wing nationalist populism across western democracies, easily manipulated by racist, nativist grifters as an Enemy or Other with Great Replacement Theory rhetoric...but it's indeed a reality politically and people, whether rightly or wrongly, are afeared of "change".

Where I'm not following you is the sense of equivalence between "middle class" and center, moderate values and the notion that a shrinking middle class, with more extreme, concentrated wealth separating "middle class" from "upper", is why moderate, center right and center left values are disappearing with them. I get that there's resentment of how important educational attainment has become in economic stratification, but does that also explain the racial divide, the gender divide as well? Is there perceived threat of racial and gender advancement through education obviating the roles that white men have traditionally enjoyed?

Help me out with that.
Here’s the case the right should be making “morally”:

“Yo we are becoming decadent and a sociopolitically fragile to global competition for ideas and ergo our fiat currency status. We
Cannot become Maria Antionette here and while there’s lots to improve on Siri that should even fit economically and socially for our citizens some of this sh*t has gone too far and is counterproductive to our ability to hold the position we currently do.”

Then get into details but my details are different than the culture warriors like:

All trade subsidies and barriers
More open immigration “f**k these bottlenecks they are anti democratic as constructed.
Get rid of all housing subsidies
Clean, carve out free tax code (doesn’t have to be flat but could be)
Bunch of other stuff

Looks like finance to many but this stuff touches us socially a ton too.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:33 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/siemens- ... 10095.html

People that may be old and out of touch with reality probably don’t realize this is taking place in upstate NY where far left progressives are taking the state of NY down the tubes.

I wonder if the libs had anything to do with this or if it was all private money from soup to nuts?
It won’t materially change the Corning /Elmira/HH area I promise. And respectfully having a lot to family in SWNY (Elmira to
Steuben co and up to Rich). The “human capital” isn’t sufficient to grow themselves out of their problems today.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:45 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:33 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/siemens- ... 10095.html

People that may be old and out of touch with reality probably don’t realize this is taking place in upstate NY where far left progressives are taking the state of NY down the tubes.

I wonder if the libs had anything to do with this or if it was all private money from soup to nuts?
It won’t materially change the Corning /Elmira/HH area I promise. And respectfully having a lot to family in SWNY (Elmira to
Steuben co and up to Rich). The “human capital” isn’t sufficient to grow themselves out of their problems today.
Similar to the Intel project outside of Columbus, some of the talent will be imported in to fill high paying jobs. Even for a significant portion of the construction, crews are from out of the region because the work is sophisticated. YA is probably aware of this.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 1:20 pm
I the grand scheme of human history how do you know we’re equilibrium is for “1st world countries”?
Simple.

Every 1st world country has:

-single payer health care
-free/close to free University/Vocational training
-strong unions
-strong mass transit
-more business regulation
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:13 pm

Similar to the Intel project outside of Columbus, some of the talent will be imported in to fill high paying jobs. Even for a significant portion of the construction, crews are from out of the region because the work is sophisticated. YA is probably aware of this.
Still have a repeating close education Mint hub if you look to
Ithaca (Cornell, Ithaca Colege - boo f those guys and their stank a** “Butterfield filed with that whack drainage and slope to sidelines”). &

Rochester (RIT, UofR plus smaller ones if you want to mess around with valedictorians from Nazareth, SJF etc), Hobart kids wouldn’t go to WNY to cool for that…

But how many new project finance pitches to transform economics have you seen in your time because I’ve seen hundreds and can’t recall one truly changing a community.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:48 pm
Simple.

-strong unions
-strong mass transit
And yet they all bow down to us and when the s*+t hits the fan they run and get US dollars for their pending apocalypse….are we “Suprafirst world” like having transcended those definitions or how we we run game on all those countries till today unless either:

Equilibrium = decay and decline from current position / standing rather than optimal value

Tying these other first world countries systems to optimal value is incorrect. Outcomes includes country relative position. Let’s go compare every country to the US holistically and we provide max optimal value to citizens or otherwise it wouldn’t be the reserve currency still.

Or…this idea of first world is a joke and we are like Zeus playing with humans (or Hera turning them into bees-I just watched a fun miniseries in netflix called KAOs hence the metaphor)

The reason we are the hegemony we are still as odorous as maybe some folks find this notion is precisely because we aren’t following the pack and blazing out own trail. The piece Weber had right.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:55 pm
Simple.

-strong unions
-strong mass transit
And yet they all bow down to us and when the s*+t hits the fan they run and get US dollars for their pending apocalypse….are we “Suprafirst world” like having transcended those definitions or how we we run game on all those countries till today unless either:

Equilibrium = decay and decline from current position / standing rather than optimal value

Tying these other first world countries systems to optimal value is incorrect. Outcomes includes country relative position. Let’s go compare every country to the US holistically and we provide max optimal value to citizens or otherwise it wouldn’t be the reserve currency still.

Or…this idea of first world is a joke and we are like Zeus playing with humans (or Hera turning them into bees-I just watched a fun miniseries in netflix called KAOs hence the metaphor)
No argument. Simply pointing out that we're to the right of all of them, is all.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 2:50 pm

Ithaca (Cornell, Ithaca Colege - boo f those guys and their stank a** “Butterfield filed with that whack drainage and slope to sidelines”). &

Rochester (RIT, UofR plus smaller ones if you want to mess around with valedictorians from Nazareth, SJF etc), Hobart kids wouldn’t go to WNY to cool for that…

But how many new project finance pitches to transform economics have you seen in your time because I’ve seen hundreds and can’t recall one truly changing a community.
Definitely isn’t changing much. I remember driving in a limousine to see guy’s at the NYHA the day Coumo lost the election. I was sitting in my old boss’ office listening to the call from Cuomo…. Cuomo said his network that he built over however many years went away overnight….we then took a car down to the NYHA and listen to a pitch on some huge project….anyway, the guy that pitched us was SHARP….a year later he was a founder at a PE shop in Hudson Valley and he used all his municipal connections to get some alternative investment money…..we later tried to underwrite a HY issue for him but back then you needed at least a $100MM tranche. We also weren’t equipped. He ended up with DLJMB Partners which tells you how long ago that was…..the point being the people attached to the projects made out, the communities were not changed that much until laters. We did work on some stuff in Harlem early on that contributed to the transformation you see today….but again, those in need didn’t see much change. I have a cousin up there that ended up moving out because he could no longer afford it.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:00 pm
Simple.

-strong unions
-strong mass transit

No argument. Simply pointing out that we're to the right of all of them, is all.
Fine and dandy....so at what cost do we risk losing that edge, so much so we want to be like everyone else.... except when China or Russia or Iran stroll in like Kid Rock on the beach to yet another country like Ukraine. I suppose unintended consequences are just that....we'll deal with them when the arise.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:56 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:43 am Harris campaign website

She leads off with "A New Way Forward"

Her policies agenda with descriptions.
Consistent with her stump speeches and press briefings

https://kamalaharris.com/issues/

Trump leads off with:"THEY’RE NOT AFTER ME, THEY’RE AFTER YOU
…I’M JUST STANDING IN THE WAY!”
DONALD J. TRUMP, 45th President of the United States

His policy agenda (sanitized, no details):
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/platform

what he's saying on the stump is WAY more aggressive and angry.
(also rambling and disjointed, often boring, and then super aggressive in spurts of anger...)

On fundraising, both sites ask for money and volunteers aggressively...I found this bit posted by the Trump Campaign to be interesting:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news/9699f ... 639c0b7191

And yet, https://www.politico.com/news/2024/09/0 ... g-00177657
Still nothing about the long term gains. As far as everyone believes, she is still ~doubling long term cap games on everyone that sells their home or whatever else falls in that category. Which was the Biden/Harris original plan, Ive read excerpts she has now pivoted...but nothing on her website about any of it.....other than no tax change if you are under 400k, is it assumed that includes the long-term cap gains?

Seems disingenuous for Kamala to say project 2025 is Trumps on her website: https://www.npr.org/2024/09/05/nx-s1-50 ... ce-himself

KELLY: So Trump keeps distancing himself. Has it worked? Are people buying it?

ORDOÑEZ: Well, I mean, it is true that this is not Trump's plan, but it is a plan for Trump. I mean, one way I look at it is it's taking Trump's policy goals - the one he talks about on the stump all the time - and creates a legal roadmap to execute them.
I don't see it as disingenuous at all. Trump's people are deeply involved and they're all on the short lists for positions in the next Admin. It mirrors what he's been saying on the stump, though he flits around on some things.

No, not true on "everyone believes"...I think we'll see exemptions on certain kinds of gains and levels of taxpayers. Pretty obvious to me.

This is what her website says:

Under her plan, the tax rate on long-term capital gains for those earning a million dollars a year or more will be 28 percent, because when the government encourages investment, it leads to broad-based economic growth and creates jobs, which makes our economy stronger.
Thanks....I did not see that.

I have seen so many people posting on my Facebook of friends/groups and and a few are actually people connected to a high end democratic family here in Maryland that still believe it is the Biden/Harris Financial plan in play with the 100Million Dollar net worth & the doubling of current cap gains tax to +40%.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:03 pm

Definitely isn’t changing much. I remember driving in a limousine to see guy’s at the NYHA the day Coumo lost the election. I was sitting in my old boss’ office listening to the call from Cuomo…. Cuomo said his network that he built over however many years went away overnight….we then took a car down to the NYHA and listen to a pitch on some huge project….anyway, the guy that pitched us was SHARP….a year later he was a founder at a PE shop in Hudson Valley and he used all his municipal connections to get some alternative investment money…..we later tried to underwrite a HY issue for him but back then you needed at least a $100MM tranche. We also weren’t equipped. He ended up with DLJMB Partners which tells you how long ago that was…..the point being the people attached to the projects made out, the communities were not changed that much until laters. We did work on some stuff in Harlem early on that contributed to the transformation you see today….but again, those in need didn’t see much change. I have a cousin up there that ended up moving out because he could no longer afford it.
1992?

https://www.mad.io/

This business keeps a Rochester P.O. Box for incentives and subsidies but is run firm CEO spot in London and some guys in Spain. CEOs partner and co founder ent to U of R but it’s a company for a specific type of VR I’d happily discuss over in Hamsterdam. Met via attorney working for largest social media content creator platform in the world, nice guy who drives in the JV gentlemen version of F1 forget what they call it but splits time with pro drivers in races etc. started the business originally selling access to see see the bootleg Pam/Tommy Lee video in the internets earlier years.

But upshot is they take NYS taxpayer money and provide no economic return at all.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:34 pm
Simple.

-strong unions
-strong mass transit

Fine and dandy....so at what cost do we risk losing that edge, so much so we want to be like everyone else.... except when China or Russia or Iran stroll in like Kid Rock on the beach to yet another country like Ukraine. I suppose unintended consequences are just that....we'll deal with them when the arise.
So, in which aspects are we "too far left" that "we risk losing that edge"?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:39 pm

(also rambling and disjointed, often boring, and then super aggressive in spurts of anger...)

On fundraising, both sites ask for money and volunteers aggressively...I found this bit posted by the Trump Campaign to be interesting:

Still nothing about the long term gains. As far as everyone believes, she is still ~doubling long term cap games on everyone that sells their home or whatever else falls in that category. Which was the Biden/Harris original plan, Ive read excerpts she has now pivoted...but nothing on her website about any of it.....other than no tax change if you are under 400k, is it assumed that includes the long-term cap gains?

Seems disingenuous for Kamala to say project 2025 is Trumps on her website: https://www.npr.org/2024/09/05/nx-s1-50 ... ce-himself

ORDOÑEZ: Well, I mean, it is true that this is not Trump's plan, but it is a plan for Trump. I mean, one way I look at it is it's taking Trump's policy goals - the one he talks about on the stump all the time - and creates a legal roadmap to execute them.
I don't see it as disingenuous at all. Trump's people are deeply involved and they're all on the short lists for positions in the next Admin. It mirrors what he's been saying on the stump, though he flits around on some things.

No, not true on "everyone believes"...I think we'll see exemptions on certain kinds of gains and levels of taxpayers. Pretty obvious to me.

Under her plan, the tax rate on long-term capital gains for those earning a million dollars a year or more will be 28 percent, because when the government encourages investment, it leads to broad-based economic growth and creates jobs, which makes our economy stronger.

I have seen so many people posting on my Facebook of friends/groups and and a few are actually people connected to a high end democratic family here in Maryland that still believe it is the Biden/Harris Financial plan in play with the 100Million Dollar net worth & the doubling of current cap gains tax to +40%.
The $100 million net worth idea has to do with a 'wealth tax' not the capital gains tax increase. She's been consistent on the cap gains increase only applying to folks making over a million bucks a year...tiny percentage of Americans. Same is true for any wealth tax, very tiny percentage of Americans, but it's more complicated to try and figure out how to measure.

I don't think these folks are stupid, they understand that there's vast wealth accumulating with a very small percentage of Americans, largely untaxed. Time for an adjustment...the mechanics are challenging, but the principle isn't wrong.

Facebook tends to be a very poor source of info, just sayin'. ;)
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:34 pm
Simple.

-strong unions
-strong mass transit

I'm not sure 350k-730k Russian casualties are a stroll on the beach.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 4:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:03 pm

1992?

https://www.mad.io/

This business keeps a Rochester P.O. Box for incentives and subsidies but is run firm CEO spot in London and some guys in Spain. CEOs partner and co founder ent to U of R but it’s a company for a specific type of VR I’d happily discuss over in Hamsterdam. Met via attorney working for largest social media content creator platform in the world, nice guy who drives in the JV gentlemen version of F1 forget what they call it but splits time with pro drivers in races etc. started the business originally selling access to see see the bootleg Pam/Tommy Lee video in the internets earlier years.

But upshot is they take NYS taxpayer money and provide no economic return at all.
Late 1990’s
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 5:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 3:39 pm

The $100 million net worth idea has to do with a 'wealth tax' not the capital gains tax increase. She's been consistent on the cap gains increase only applying to folks making over a million bucks a year...tiny percentage of Americans. Same is true for any wealth tax, very tiny percentage of Americans, but it's more complicated to try and figure out how to measure.

I don't think these folks are stupid, they understand that there's vast wealth accumulating with a very small percentage of Americans, largely untaxed. Time for an adjustment...the mechanics are challenging, but the principle isn't wrong.

Facebook tends to be a very poor source of info, just sayin'. ;)
that 100 Million was floated/tied to the Long Term Cap Gains tax as well in many discussion on news outlets, then spread like wildfire elsewhere ...I asked about this a few weeks ago in the Harris Thread and you chimed in not sure yourself, but agreed to it for the wealthy. My point, is that many 'still' believe, and I had no place to go, to assure myself or others that Long Term Cap gains was only applying to those with net worth >100million and now it seems to be 1 million but not still under 30%.

And as you eluded above, the rub based on that original >40% number Long term gains, was that businesses would just roll out, sit on investments so cashflow would be reduced across the board, and screw so many people that were planning to use the equity from their paid off homes and they just now lost another 20% off the top.....that was the boogey man in the room that I was trying to find actual ink on to validate it was not the case, except for the 10k people in the US that have more than 100 million.

PS - one of the people that posted the 100 Million only applied to the Cap Gains Tax....was a family member of famous MD Senate Democrat of 40+ years.
Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”