Next Programs To Win National Titles For The First Time?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Next Programs To Win National Titles For The First Time?

Post by 10stone5 »

norcalhop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:05 pm
Magbride14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:32 pm Every college lacrosse Natty champion is one of the blue bloods b/c it is the only college sport where the playing field is not level, how can a program like a Nova expect to compete every season with only 10 scholarships & one of the smallest rosters in Div 1
If a small school like Loyola could win, it's possible for anyone. They are not blue blood in my book.
If that is correct, Villanova is up to 10 scholarships - then that is a relatively recent step up (from 8.5).
Here's guessing they are working to fund the final 2.6 scholarships soon, taking into consideration the glacial pace these things take.

But yes, Loyola is a good comparable.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

norcalhop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:36 pm Not sure why people are saying Brown over other more established programs like Harvard or Penn tbh. Brown is starting with a lot more unknowns and at the bottom until proven otherwise.
Harvard? You been chillin w Doc and letting go of your NorCal hippiness for some Peter Navarro style San Diego.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:37 am
norcalhop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:36 pm Not sure why people are saying Brown over other more established programs like Harvard or Penn tbh. Brown is starting with a lot more unknowns and at the bottom until proven otherwise.
Harvard? You been chillin w Doc and letting go of your NorCal hippiness for some Peter Navarro style San Diego.
Doc has been taking harder drugs than me for sometime..=).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:39 am
Word
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:24 am
Magbride14 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:32 pm Every college lacrosse Natty champion is one of the blue bloods b/c it is the only college sport where the playing field is not level, how can a program like a Nova expect to compete every season with only 10 scholarships & one of the smallest rosters in Div 1
If a small school like Loyola could win, it's possible for anyone. They are not blue blood in my book.
If that is correct, Villanova is up to 10 scholarships - then that is a relatively recent step up (from 8.5).
Here's guessing they are working to fund the final 2.6 scholarships soon, taking into consideration the glacial pace these things take.

If you want to do what Loyola did, you need a president and alumni that put major bank into just lacrosse. That's easier to do if you are the premier sport on campus. Loyola has the right build and history. Not sure Villanova does.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Could we add Harvard to this discussion?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

10stone5 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:24 am

ND for many years did not have 12.6 scholarships. When theyvfully funded the program they began to advance.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:11 am Could we add Harvard to this discussion?
We certainly could. Byrne arrived with a lot of fanfare, and since then the Crimson has showed some flashes of good lacrosse; but when was the last time Harvard won an NCAA tourney game? Right now, I'd rate both Brown and Penn as stronger candidates. Since the arrival of Kirwan, Dartmouth might even deserve to be in the conversation with the other potential Ivies, but still an earlier-stage project than Harvard.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Georgetown and PSU still feel like my top choices
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Who cares...?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:19 pm Who cares...?
You don’t but obviously someone else does because a thread was created so you have at least one answer if you thought for a minute. Or are we all supposed to bow down to your views?
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:33 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:11 am Could we add Harvard to this discussion?
We certainly could. Byrne arrived with a lot of fanfare, and since then the Crimson has showed some flashes of good lacrosse; but when was the last time Harvard won an NCAA tourney game? Right now, I'd rate both Brown and Penn as stronger candidates. Since the arrival of Kirwan, Dartmouth might even deserve to be in the conversation with the other potential Ivies, but still an earlier-stage project than Harvard.
What’s most surprising is that Harvard’s biggest weakness since Byrne’s arrival has been on the defense side. They seem to bring in high end recruits but the team defense has been a problem.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:24 pm
What’s most surprising is that Harvard’s biggest weakness since Byrne’s arrival has been on the defense side. They seem to bring in high end recruits but the team defense has been a problem.

Wayne Harvard admissions is biased against big defensemen .
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

BigTom5 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:24 pm
Very true about highly rated recruits but not getting the results, both pre-Byrne and during Byrne's time at Harvard. In the shot clock era, many Ivies have struggled defensively. I guess we're approaching the final year during which the Ivies will be disadvantaged by other schools taking Covid-era graduate transfers. However, in following years, there could be some continuation of the transfer trend. The strength of the Harvard brand should be an advantage, but then other Ivies have generally strong brands combined with strong lacrosse traditions. Of course, Harvard's hasn't had problems landing highly touted recruiits, molding them into a top-10 team is another story.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:19 pm Who cares...?
I usually do not repond these these type of responses but....

(A) You should. The growth of this sport depends on the growth outside of the same old winners. And I use "old" not in the pejorative sense but in the established or time sense.
(B) Do you realize how much your screen name and comments say "Get off my lawn"?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

With the class Michigan has so far for 2026, I am believing just a tad more that the Wolverines belong even more strongly in this discussion.
coda

Post by coda »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:11 am With the class Michigan has so far for 2026, I am believing just a tad more that the Wolverines belong even more strongly in this discussion.
I would love to see one of the big state schools break through. Get those massive alumni bases excited about lacrosse
viho

Post by viho »

Albany has been very close, has been building again over the last 2 years and gave ND the best playoff game back in the spring.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:11 am With the class Michigan has so far for 2026, I am believing just a tad more that the Wolverines belong even more strongly in this discussion.
If I had to bet on a conference to have the next first-time winner, it would definitely be the Big 10. Penn State and Michigan seem like good candidates, and I wouldn't rule out tOSU or Rutgers.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:57 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:39 am
Word
The only drug I have been taking is the Elixir of Truth. :P

Anyway, Harvard doesn’t belong in this discussion, as the Crimson have won 13 national championships.

Yeah, the last one was in 1915, but they all count if you truly respect the sport.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”