The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: 2024

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:56 pm
Well, he has a plan...or can read a teleprompter :?

yeah those "massive tax cuts reduced deficits"...hoo boy. :roll:

Maybe that's how he went bankrupt so many times, he doesn't actually know that when you take in less than you spend, that's a "deficit"... and ultimately leads to bankruptcy (unless you can print money)...

For those who never read these threads, under Trump, deficits rose year over year in each year of Trump's tenure, and every year post tax cuts it rose significantly as a percentage of GDP. In the last year of Obama, before Trump took over, the deficit was $585 billion and 3.1% of GDP. 2019, 3 years later, pre Covid explosion of deficit (let's be fair to Trump), the deficit had grown to $984 billion and 4.6% of GDP. In no world of rationale analysis did the tax cuts result in a reduction in deficits.

But adherence to truth is not a Trump or MAGA principle, indeed the principle seems to be to exaggerate the lie massively and just keep repeating it...(Trump famously said he chose the GOP because its voters are so stupid)

I did think the riff on sending Harris a MAGA hat was funny.

Want to get further wonky, we can and should analyze whether deficits are or are not improving the 'capital of the country offsetting the growing debt. We did see some growth of the economy in the Rump years, following a steady progression from the Obama years, but did we see major improvements in either physical or human capital??? Did we repair and build lots of infrastructure (or did we fall further behind?), or perhaps did education markedly improve at any level? Did we see big improvements in environment or public safety?

Deficits are sustainable if we actually grow the productivity of our economy and improve the underlying social goods we value, but they ain't if we fail to channel wisely.
Hitler.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jo ... g-lie-quot

"The original description of the big lie appeared in Mein Kampf. Adolf Hitler applied it to the behavior of Jews rather than as a tactic he advocated. Specifically, he accused Viennese Jews of trying to discredit the Germans’ activities during World War I. Hitler wrote of the Jews’ “unqualified capacity for falsehood” and “that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation…. From time immemorial, however, the Jews have known better than any others how falsehood and calumny can be exploited.”

The OSS psychological profile of Hitler described his use of the big lie:

His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it."

Now, who does that remind you of?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:25 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:56 pm
Well, he has a plan...or can read a teleprompter :?

yeah those "massive tax cuts reduced deficits"...hoo boy. :roll:

Maybe that's how he went bankrupt so many times, he doesn't actually know that when you take in less than you spend, that's a "deficit"... and ultimately leads to bankruptcy (unless you can print money)...

For those who never read these threads, under Trump, deficits rose year over year in each year of Trump's tenure, and every year post tax cuts it rose significantly as a percentage of GDP. In the last year of Obama, before Trump took over, the deficit was $585 billion and 3.1% of GDP. 2019, 3 years later, pre Covid explosion of deficit (let's be fair to Trump), the deficit had grown to $984 billion and 4.6% of GDP. In no world of rationale analysis did the tax cuts result in a reduction in deficits.

But adherence to truth is not a Trump or MAGA principle, indeed the principle seems to be to exaggerate the lie massively and just keep repeating it...(Trump famously said he chose the GOP because its voters are so stupid)

I did think the riff on sending Harris a MAGA hat was funny.

Want to get further wonky, we can and should analyze whether deficits are or are not improving the 'capital of the country offsetting the growing debt. We did see some growth of the economy in the Rump years, following a steady progression from the Obama years, but did we see major improvements in either physical or human capital??? Did we repair and build lots of infrastructure (or did we fall further behind?), or perhaps did education markedly improve at any level? Did we see big improvements in environment or public safety?

Deficits are sustainable if we actually grow the productivity of our economy and improve the underlying social goods we value, but they ain't if we fail to channel wisely.
Hitler.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.”

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jo ... g-lie-quot

"The original description of the big lie appeared in Mein Kampf. Adolf Hitler applied it to the behavior of Jews rather than as a tactic he advocated. Specifically, he accused Viennese Jews of trying to discredit the Germans’ activities during World War I. Hitler wrote of the Jews’ “unqualified capacity for falsehood” and “that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation…. From time immemorial, however, the Jews have known better than any others how falsehood and calumny can be exploited.”

The OSS psychological profile of Hitler described his use of the big lie:

His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it."

Now, who does that remind you of?
Stephen Miller - Goebbels

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/1 ... ly-similar

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... hen-miller

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020 ... -obsession
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the- ... t-to-them/

Trump supports the poor and working class Americans. He and people like him are fighting for them.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

As usual, pretty astute set of observations by Fareed:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/08/politics ... ism-digvid
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:46 pm https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the- ... t-to-them/

Trump supports the poor and working class Americans. He and people like him are fighting for them.
Tried, in vain, to tell this to Republicans.

Didn't want to hear it. Still don't.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:46 pm https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the- ... t-to-them/

Don’t tell C&S, Aging Sailor, IY, Petey, and people like them, that Trump pushed projects where people live and where the jobs are…

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2017/0 ... astructure
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

You also had the incoherent, rambling child care quote two days ago.

So the mainstream media is gonna be hammering him on his cognitive decline non-stop, right? Right? :roll:

Amazing how often they translate his ramblings for him into actual sentences. Complete kid gloves.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:06 pm Image

You also had the incoherent, rambling child care quote two days ago.

So the mainstream media is gonna be hammering him on his cognitive decline non-stop, right? Right? :roll:
Nope.

And you won't hear one word about this from the folks here who pretended to care about syntax and sense in Biden's speeches.

They don't care. This is why they've had Trump as their party leader for 12 years.

And if he loses? Oh, he'll run again.
njbill

Post by njbill »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:10 pm And if he loses? Oh, he'll run again.
Agree. Gotta keep up the grift.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Nice piece on why America's dumbest support Trump.

And please, make the argument that million of Americans aren't idiots..... you can't.

Because to a person, Republicans openly rail against our educational failures. So you have to pick a lane: either our k-12 is stellar, no problems, and produce smart Americans......or our k-12 is garbage for middle and poor America, and we're turning out idiots as a result.

It's why they choose tinfoilhats over logic, and "some guy on the internet" over easier-than-ever to find facts.

Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Trump would not like that guy…

Youth, C&S, Old Salt and people like them can explain what Trump really meant….
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:37 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:32 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:23 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:34 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:29 am
OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:33 am 👍 As always very well stated. For years on these forums Dick Cheney was lambasted and ridiculed for the very reasons you point out. Who knew that all it would take was saying your voting for Harris and the libs have a mad crush on him all of a sudden. :D I almost choked this morning when Kamala cheerfully stated she was so proud to have Dick and Liz supporting her. It makes me wonder if Dick is thinking he's not too old to be her SecDef? Dick is always willing to sacrifice our military especially if there is 💰 in it for him down the road. :roll:

Do when did that opinion enter your brain. I don’t recall you ever making that claim before, she should be proud to get his endorsement and right fully so since her opponent id a career criminal with no moral core, a standard you do not share
I've never been a Dick Cheney fan. He isn't the kind of guy you would want to go hunting quail with. I noticed this morning that Cheneys former boss GWB and his wife have chosen to not endorse either candidate. That tells me all I need to know. Dick Cheney is riding the high horse of moral superiority which is a complete joke. :roll:
Around these parts, that woud mean you are Trump fan, since you do not come out at state you are not pro-Harris. More to me continued point about the cognitive dissonance element in this election cycle and the sh(t sandwich with which the democratic part ALSO gave us.
As of yet Kamala Harris hasn't even stated what direction her foreign policy will go. It must still be a work in progress. Whatever it may be the usual suspects on this forum will think it is brilliant. :D
Yep….and her tax plans are so vague as she’d waffled from her and Biden’s plan, that none of can figure out what she plans to do. I’ve asked 2x now on these threads if anyone has found what she plans to do and how crappy her website is. Is like a damned JV campaign at this point.
The only thing she has stated clearly is this...her policies have changed but her values have not. How reassuring is that?
The funny thing is that you think those are mutually exclusive all the time and incongruous inside a person.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:52 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:23 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:34 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:29 am
OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:33 am 👍 As always very well stated. For years on these forums Dick Cheney was lambasted and ridiculed for the very reasons you point out. Who knew that all it would take was saying your voting for Harris and the libs have a mad crush on him all of a sudden. :D I almost choked this morning when Kamala cheerfully stated she was so proud to have Dick and Liz supporting her. It makes me wonder if Dick is thinking he's not too old to be her SecDef? Dick is always willing to sacrifice our military especially if there is 💰 in it for him down the road. :roll:

Do when did that opinion enter your brain. I don’t recall you ever making that claim before, she should be proud to get his endorsement and right fully so since her opponent id a career criminal with no moral core, a standard you do not share
I've never been a Dick Cheney fan. He isn't the kind of guy you would want to go hunting quail with. I noticed this morning that Cheneys former boss GWB and his wife have chosen to not endorse either candidate. That tells me all I need to know. Dick Cheney is riding the high horse of moral superiority which is a complete joke. :roll:
Around these parts, that woud mean you are Trump fan, since you do not come out at state you are not pro-Harris. More to me continued point about the cognitive dissonance element in this election cycle and the sh(t sandwich with which the democratic part ALSO gave us.
As of yet Kamala Harris hasn't even stated what direction her foreign policy will go. It must still be a work in progress. Whatever it may be the usual suspects on this forum will think it is brilliant. :D
George is simply saying he believes he should stay out of presidential politics, (which I think is hogwash), but his dad similarly felt that he needed to be supportive of whoever landed in the job and so campaigning would compromise that. It's been super clear that he wants no part of Trump, disagrees on virtually everything Trump represents, and the feeling is mutual. The lack of an endorsement of Trump should speak volumes.

As many prominent Republicans and former Republicans have been saying, you needn't be a Democrat or agree with Harris on much of anything, to affirmatively vote against Trump.

As to foreign policy, she's been quite clear about support of Ukraine and opposition to Putin, she's also clearly in the Israel must be defended camp, albeit with considerably more empathy for the Palestinian situation. She's full-on two state solution, in clear opposition to Netanyahu and the right wing fundamentalists in Israel. Most of America agrees with these positions. But there are extremes on both left and right who disagree.

I've heard less about or from her on Asia, specifically China and our various allies in the region, but presumably she's at least close to the current Admin's rather hawkish view of China and its growing ambitions coupled with totalitarian rule. But not a nutcase calling for massive trade war tariffs.

My sense is that she will feel the need to demonstrate some steel in her spine, at a minimum in negotiating postures, but a fresh face also offers some opportunity for others to reset their sails to a more cooperative posture, less confrontational...but I don't have high hopes that tensions will suddenly go away on various fronts, given the ambitions of others.

So...I'd far prefer some consistency with the competence that this Admin has demonstrated than a turn toward embrace of authoritarian nationalism and trade wars...that has a hugely awful history and would presage a tragic end of the massive benefits of a century of American leadership in the world.
Trump said the tariffs paid by China will cover Daycare for Americans. We can count on that.
Trump is going to be the bat to
Randy Marsh being China here

https://youtu.be/3BLER7MQm4k?si=UK2ZchqphQVjmuHO
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:54 pm

https://youtu.be/aUzBgeI5dpc?si=8vHvNvijRnQILBv5
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:20 pm Nice piece on why America's dumbest support Trump.

And please, make the argument that million of Americans aren't idiots..... you can't.

Because to a person, Republicans openly rail against our educational failures. So you have to pick a lane: either our k-12 is stellar, no problems, and produce smart Americans......or our k-12 is garbage for middle and poor America, and we're turning out idiots as a result.

It's why they choose tinfoilhats over logic, and "some guy on the internet" over easier-than-ever to find facts.

It almost sounds like you agree with RFK here? And, that the middle class, the cohort you say has been chopped off at the knee caps, need to go away, not fight as they are, and vanish completely? It almost seems like a bait and switch tactic or that the parties are crossing paths, as RFK states.

It explains why people like MDlax and I are dying on the vine of the traditional republican party, and identify so closely with the majority of the center democratic party/ liberal leaning on many topics; many have stayed center. One can argue that the scales have shifted too far left with the rise of super liberal/progressiveness, especially as the middle class has shrunk over the past few decades, and the R-Party under Trump are capitalizing on the middle class that faded off into the sunset and were silent for so long just accepting that what they had to say was futile.

Had it been someone like Hogan or Kasich pushing the "MAGA" fundamental principles in 2016 of no war, NATO fair sharing financials, Manufacturing, China tariffs, simplifying red tape for businesses, border position, etc......without the J6, midnight tweeting, name calling, we can argue a completely different state of 2024.

The juxtaposition is not IQ, tinfoilhat, IMO....its that very-old middle class that was dying off, now bubbling to the surface.

https://x.com/MTGrepp/status/1832858297017442494
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 7:20 pm Nice piece on why America's dumbest support Trump.

You know I have a lot threshold/tolerance for casual and lazy stupidity that is in abundance. But let’s not ignore the there’s a form of psychological warfare the political class and its surrogates are engaging on the public, 24/7. That aspect shouldn’t be ignored despite the intolerable unjustifiable inability to process information appropriately and comprehend things communicated to them/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:52 pm

It almost sounds like you agree with RFK here? And, that the middle class, the cohort you say has been chopped off at the knee caps, need to go away, not fight as they are, and vanish completely? It almost seems like a bait and switch tactic or that the parties are crossing paths, as RFK states.

It explains why people like MDlax and I are dying on the vine of the traditional republican party, and identify so closely with the majority of the center democratic party/ liberal leaning on many topics; many have stayed center. One can argue that the scales have shifted too far left with the rise of super liberal/progressiveness, especially as the middle class has shrunk over the past few decades, and the R-Party under Trump are capitalizing on the middle class that faded off into the sunset and were silent for so long just accepting that what they had to say was futile.

Had it been someone like Hogan or Kasich pushing the "MAGA" fundamental principles in 2016 of no war, NATO fair sharing financials, Manufacturing, China tariffs, simplifying red tape for businesses, border position, etc......without the J6, midnight tweeting, name calling, we can argue a completely different state of 2024.

The juxtaposition is not IQ, tinfoilhat, IMO....its that very-old middle class that was dying off, now bubbling to the surface.

https://x.com/MTGrepp/status/1832858297017442494
The dishonesty is in continuing to pretend they support residual directive values outside Christian issues and cultural ones. There’s a near explicit rejection in capitalism which forces the barbell dispersion of outcomes ultimately in all arenas. Middle class and capitalism don’t go together but they keep claiming to be anachronistic patriotism capitalists as easily observed by how facially in inaccurately toss around the term socialism as a pejorative on the elegy of fascist or nazi somehow .you want this new brand of cultural warrior populism? Cool. But don’t piss on my let and talk about Ike and Regan son. Just give me your new pitch on the new vision and drop the nonsense of hanging onto that legacy Republican identity. But they demure because the demographics require them to hang onto this inaccurate And false narrative of a past that never was to placate the geriatrics who dominate this movement the way a squirrel with a lone nut in the winter hangs onto that baby for dear life. Mainly because they just want everything for themselves while demanding fidelity and fealty from all younger generations.

So I’d ride with Jack kemp And George Will but not these gimps.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:56 pm

You know I have a lot threshold/tolerance for casual and lazy stupidity that is in abundance. But let’s not ignore the there’s a form of psychological warfare the political class and its surrogates are engaging on the public, 24/7. That aspect shouldn’t be ignored despite the intolerable unjustifiable inability to process information appropriately and comprehend things communicated to them/
Agreed
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:56 pm

People are being manipulated and they are walking around saying “the media doesn’t tell me what to think”… It’s absurd. I love seeing people parrot political propaganda.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”