8%
Other
15%

Total votes: 97

MDlaxfan76

Re: Transfer Poll - Chris Gray

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:50 am
wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:49 pm Julie Bowen (Claire Dunphy)- BRUNO.Lest we forget the adored and adorable Laura Ingraham attended DARTMOUTH.She went to UVA Law School.But please don't spread that around

I have it on good authority, Murph, that Julie Bowen is a true Baltimore prep-school gal without the Bobby Shriver Bawlmer accent.
Correct. Leuktemeyer.

Ingraham is indeed a stain on Dartmouth and UVA Law, but ahh well, it's good to have people who disagree with one another.
Jerks are another matter.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

QuakerSouth wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:32 am
thetruth wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 pm Those programs have no spots for athletes and admission is strictly based on academic qualifications.
Please expound.
Yeah, it’s simple. The undergrad business schools do not offer recruiting “spots” for sports. Those come from the general admission pool. In order to get accepted into the undergrad business schools it’s a completely separate process and solely based on academics not athletics. Of course there are athletes like Mathias who qualify to be admitted but it has nothing to do with what the lacrosse coach says, does or wants. As I’m sure you know, it is a separate admissions process to get into Wharton undergrad than it is to Penn general admissions and not an easy one.
Someone also implied that an economics major at Yale is the same as being in their business school. That’s highly inaccurate.
By the way, BU has a very good undergrad business school (Questrom) which Gray was not enrolled in. He was enrolled in the College of General Studies (straight from his BU bio). So I’m not sure why people are even focused on undergrad business schools.
renault

Post by renault »

thetruth wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:17 pm
thetruth wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 pm Those programs have no spots for athletes and admission is strictly based on academic qualifications.
Please expound.
Yeah, it’s simple. The undergrad business schools do not offer recruiting “spots” for sports. Those come from the general admission pool. In order to get accepted into the undergrad business schools it’s a completely separate process and solely based on academics not athletics. Of course there are athletes like Mathias who qualify to be admitted but it has nothing to do with what the lacrosse coach says, does or wants. As I’m sure you know, it is a separate admissions process to get into Wharton undergrad than it is to Penn general admissions and not an easy one.
Someone also implied that an economics major at Yale is the same as being in their business school. That’s highly inaccurate.
By the way, BU has a very good undergrad business school (Questrom) which Gray was not enrolled in. He was enrolled in the College of General Studies (straight from his BU bio). So I’m not sure why people are even focused on undergrad business schools.
All things equal, an ec major at Yale (hell, an anything major at Yale) will have better options coming out of school than anyone at a non-Wharton UG business school.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Please expound.
Are you sure about that?

https://pennathletics.com/news/2018/9/5 ... ?path=mlax

https://pennathletics.com/news/2017/9/6 ... ?path=mlax

This is for just the last two recruiting classes. Some of those recruits are listed as "enrolled in the Wharton School." What do you think that means?
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

QuakerSouth wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:45 pm
Please expound.
Are you sure about that?

https://pennathletics.com/news/2018/9/5 ... ?path=mlax

https://pennathletics.com/news/2017/9/6 ... ?path=mlax

This is for just the last two recruiting classes. Some of those recruits are listed as "enrolled in the Wharton School." What do you think that means?
Yes, I’m 100% sure. Those recruits got into the Wharton undergrad program based on their academic chops. Not because they were good lacrosse players or because the coach allocated them a “spot”. Believe it or not there are some lacrosse recruits who are really good students...
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

renault wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:44 pm
Please expound.
All things equal, an ec major at Yale (hell, an anything major at Yale) will have better options coming out of school than anyone at a non-Wharton UG business school.
Nope. The smartest kids are STEM majors. There isn’t an investment firm, tech firm, consulting firm, bank, or similar business in the country that wouldn’t take a high GPA STEM major ahead of any non-STEM major at Yale or otherwise. All other things being equal... The world is changing. Econ majors are becoming dinosaurs.
Last edited by thetruth on Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

So are you implying that all the other recruits are not being admitted on their "academic chops?"
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

QuakerSouth wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:59 pm So are you implying that all the other recruits are not being admitted on their "academic chops?"
I’ll assume this is a joke.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

No, its not.

So Econ isn't considered a STEM major anywhere?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:49 pm Julie Bowen (Claire Dunphy)- BRUNO.Lest we forget the adored and adorable Laura Ingraham attended DARTMOUTH.She went to UVA Law School.But please don't spread that around

I have it on good authority, Murph, that Julie Bowen is a true Baltimore prep-school gal without the Bobby Shriver Bawlmer accent.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Have to disagree with the statement Econ majors are Becoming dinosaurs. The advances in economics in the last 20 years is significant and starting to break the hold that neo liberal economics have had on the profession. Si should increase the demand for them. Having said that jobs with repetition etc are becoming dinosaurs
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Gray to Cornell is my prediction
renault

Post by renault »

thetruth wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm
renault wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:44 pm
Please expound.
Nope. The smartest kids are STEM majors. There isn’t an investment firm, tech firm, consulting firm, bank, or similar business in the country that wouldn’t take a high GPA STEM major ahead of any non-STEM major at Yale or otherwise. All other things being equal... The world is changing. Econ majors are becoming dinosaurs.
Neither of us above were talking about "smartest" kids or STEM majors. But since you mentioned investment firms, consulting firms, and banks, Ivy econ majors (and especially Wharton grads) do far, far better at OCR with these companies than 4.0 STEM grads from lesser schools (and I use "lesser" here with my tongue planted firmly in cheek).

And how exactly are econ majors becoming dinosaurs? Nobody is hired by these types of companies because of what they actually learned in college. People just major in econ to advertise to potential employers that they're "go with the flow" types willing to choose a boring major in college in the hopes of spending a few years in their 20s as highly paid Excel monkeys. That's it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

renault wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:30 pm
thetruth wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm Econ majors are becoming dinosaurs.
And how exactly are econ majors becoming dinosaurs?
They are not, of course.

Especially if you have a real strong Math background.
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

Hearsay info on Gray: He is leaving because he was denied admission to the biz school at BU. Also his GPA, while good, but not great, MAY preclude admission to an Ivy. He is a terrific player, but it's nice to see that he is making a decision based on 40 years not 4 (now 2). Remember, this is second hand info, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know him, but I do know that his coaches, both hs and college hold him in high regard.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Correct. Leuktemeyer.

Ingraham is indeed a stain on Dartmouth and UVA Law, but ahh well, it's good to have people who disagree with one another.
Jerks are another matter.
Short term,her attendance at DC and UVA Law will be crosses to bear.Thank Yahweh those august institutions will survive,long after Lizard Laura has "shuffle(d) off this mortal coil".
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Gray should seriously consider Syracuse. Whitman School of Management is a well regarded business school and he'd be the missing piece for that offense. He'd enjoy his time there playing in front of large crowds against top comp with good group of kids most capable of being in FF with him, he'd receive a worthy education, get great exposure and be positioned into a wide network.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

xcoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:59 pm Hearsay info on Gray: He is leaving because he was denied admission to the biz school at BU. Also his GPA, while good, but not great, MAY preclude admission to an Ivy. He is a terrific player, but it's nice to see that he is making a decision based on 40 years not 4 (now 2). Remember, this is second hand info, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know him, but I do know that his coaches, both hs and college hold him in high regard.
This topic is getting ridiculous. His grades are nobody's business. This is not Kawhi Leonard becoming a free agent, this is a college student picking a school that he wants to attend.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:15 am
xcoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:59 pm Hearsay info on Gray: He is leaving because he was denied admission to the biz school at BU. Also his GPA, while good, but not great, MAY preclude admission to an Ivy. He is a terrific player, but it's nice to see that he is making a decision based on 40 years not 4 (now 2). Remember, this is second hand info, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know him, but I do know that his coaches, both hs and college hold him in high regard.
This topic is getting ridiculous. His grades are nobody's business. This is not Kawhi Leonard becoming a free agent, this is a college student picking a school that he wants to attend.
I couldn't agree more, this is beyond pathetic, let the poor kid pick a school for what ever reason he wants. The we can discuss his impact.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:15 am
The thread was ridiculous the minute it started, tore just coming around now? But fun.

New call, Avenzato, gray and Munro are all going to Syracuse. It’s all over
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”